The devs messed with the number of hooks/distance between hooks again recently, right?

Options
Malkhrim
Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

TL;DR: the number of hooks has decreased in multiple maps lately, so the distance between hooks increased. Hook shouldn't break permanently after a sacrifice, then.

I've been noticing for some time that hooks are further away from each other than they used to be. Not only that, huge hook dead zones with no more than one hook are considerably more common now. There have been multiple times I noticed that, if I wasn't extra careful about where I hook the survivors, or if one of the two last ones had actually wiggled while being carried, I wouldn't have been able to reach a hook with one of them, because there was only one hook in the area.

I actually lost a kill not too long ago because there was no hook I could possibly reach from a place I downed someone in Eyrie of Crows. The reason? It was near a corner of the map where there was only one hook, and I had killed a survivor there already. That happens to the corners on the sides of the main building in that map: one side often spawns no hooks, so the only hook is further away, inside the nearest jungle gym, while the other side, the one with the large rocks and short walls, spawns up to two hooks. Because there is no hook behind or inside the main building either (except for that one on the upper floor and the basement, both of which MAY OR MAY NOT SPAWN THERE), there can be a huge area on the map with just three hooks separated by an enormous building you won't be able to carry a survivor through most of the time (at least not without agitation).

It doesn't happen only on Eyrie. On Ironworks of Misery, sometimes there is only one hook behind the main building, and no other reachable hook on all the area on that side. Once that hook is gone, you'll have trouble hooking anyone else who gets downed there. And those are just two examples, there are far more. Even on LERY'S, a map where usually hooking isn't a problem, I had a game where I was only able to hook the last two survivors (who had gone down in the same area) because the first one didn't wiggle, allowing me to reach a further hook, then hooking the last one in the only hook that remained near that area. And don't even get me started on Badham! That map has the worst hook distribution in the game since Midwich got fixed.

It's not something that happens every game, it's still once in a while, but it's happening more often than before, which leads me to think the number of hooks got changed at some point at the latest months. I can only assume it's to make sabotaging more viable or something like that. If that's the case, we could at least have the permanent hook break after a sacrifice removed, since that's the cause of so many of these situations. Seriously, even if they don't always happen, such a thing should NEVER happen unless someone acted to stop you from hooking.

Comments

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,989
    Options

Yeah... It gets frustrating that it's so common for there to only be 1 hook at many corners. Had a game on Legion's map where the last 2 survivors realized the corner was a hook deadzone. They didn't even bother doing chases, would just immediately run to the corner if they heard my TR until I eventually had to bleed them out.

• Gastongard
    Gastongard Member Posts: 87
    Options

Oh so it all makes sense now, I have been seeing at least one or two people with boil over in most of my matches, and also noticed there were less hooks in most maps, so frustrating! Luckily Im maining twins so slugging them is really easy tho

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 876
    edited December 2023
    Options

The hooks need to be further away from each other. I know that'll be a hot take for many killers but when you can see two other hooks from the one you're on it makes matches so annoying and makes struggling and associated escape perks absolutely redundant. Survivors shouldn't be able to wriggle off the majority of times. It should be a rare occurrence. But it should at least feel fair. I don't even bother struggling anymore cause what's the point?

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,677
    Options

The point of struggling isn’t to wiggle off but to prevent the killer from picking and choosing which hook they want to use or going for basement every game.

• Rougual
    Rougual Member Posts: 526
    Options

I've noticed a lot more Boil Over and Sabotage swfs recently and I've also noticed the lack of hooks on some corners of maps.