If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Playing against coordinated SWFS is a miserable experience

Options

I've been sitting here for ages trying to find the right way to word all this so that it doesn't come across as whiny or anything like that to explain something that has plagued me about DbD for ages: It quite literally makes me feel physically miserable.

I don't expect to win every match but going against a SWF is one of the most stressful things I experience in gaming. All the pressure is on you as the Killer and a coordinated SWF is a nightmare to deal with and they just make me want to quit the game and not play due to the stress it puts me under.

I do not think survivor mains realize just how insanely stressful being the Killer is, especially when you are going against a full four man SWF that are communicating over voice comms. Those matches make me physically anxious and stressed out. That is the primary reason I hate playing against SWFs: How can I enjoy the game when it is stressing me out and affecting me physically?

Now you may ask "How can a game stress you out that much?". The answer is simple: I suffer from both a major depressive disorder and a generalized anxiety disorder and thus I have a hard time disassociating from things that I logically know shouldn't be stressing me out and making me anxious but still do. Furthermore, when I am in a match that isn't stressful and I don't feel like I'm struggling to do anything, I can have a ton of fun and the stress isn't really well. Even if a few survivors escape, if I had fun it was still a blast.

There I times I have to wonder if BHVR themselves know how stressful they have made things for Killers at high tier play due to the prevalence of SWFs and how so many Killers simply are not viable at high MMR play.

I do not enjoy playing against Seal Team Six as they get generator after generator done and I struggle to get hooks or win chases because they are somehow god tier loopers and body blockers. Games are first and foremost are supposed to be fun and playing against a SWF is not fun. There's a reason I keep hoping to either see how many survivors in the lobby are part of a premade or for playing against SWFs to be a matchmaking choice I can opt out of as a Killer.

Comments

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

I faced the same SWF twice in a row. As no slowdown Trapper

• First match, I used Brown/Yellow addons. A few hooks but 4 escape. Post chat was just a single line "lol"
    • Second match, I saw those 4 same names, I changed to Honing stone. And 4K. Post chat was "there is something on your teeth"

Its insane that changing a single addon impact the strength that much. I never dodge lobby, losing is fine for me, its just I dont know its SWF to at least use better addons.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,194
    Options

That's why I'm suggesting to give a little information to the killer to even the playing field a bit. Swf has an advantage. Even if they are not good. They still know that they can rely on their team. They still know each other's perks.

Giving the killer the option to be better prepared would help I feel.

• radiantHero23
    Options

So your answer is basicly sweat every game or dodge?

What?

• radiantHero23
    Options

I use it to read forums. I mostly don't even look at the team I'm going against. I play every match.

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

It's christmas, not April first. Stop this foolery. 💀

My suggestion to anyone with that mindset is to either work on yourself (Mindset, gameplay), play sweaty if the win is so important to you, dodge lobbies or take a break. Because newsflash: Most people are actually not even facing that scary bully squad. Most of SWF are simply just friends and people are not as good as they think they are. And I just gonna point out once again; Balancing is still necessary. Combos like FTP + Buckle Up should not exist but that is general balancing. Let people play with friends and get over yourself.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

No, you didn't say that, which is why your original post is called a false dilemma. You offered two options and asked them which was the correct one, when there is a perfectly valid third option available.

I'm glad you don't get ego involved in the game, that's a good thing. But that absolutely isn't true of most forum users here.

• TeleportingTurkey
    TeleportingTurkey Member Posts: 589
    Options

I recently got a 7 hook / 1k game as singularity against 4man and the only reason it happened is because i didn't realize this was 4 man until we were halfway into the match & I was not using soma's photo for that reason (I ran plant fibers instead).

even so, this game felt perfectly winnable and the only reason I lost it was because I made really bad mistakes at the start due to me underestimating the survivors.

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

You are totally fine to disagree with me - I respect that and we don't have to align within our opinions. I personally just don't think that SWF people should be punished for playing together nor should they be called out. We need additional balancing options like changing certain killers, perks or maps to close these gaps.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,290
    Options

A big thing Im seeing here is people want to know before the match if the teams will be sweaty or playful. This is a nice notion tbh. But it would break the game if it was just given to killers that its a SWF in lobby. Really wish the lobby didn't exist tbh. Just load the match.

If we give SWF info pre-match, killers would sweat. There would be no other option. But, why would they sweat? They could just lobby dodge. Im sure a few killers love that challenge, I sure do. But most players would skip it for an easier win/chill game. Dbd -is- supposed to be a chill party game. Everyone here has turned it into some competitive 'I deserve to win' BS. Grow up.This game isnt designed to be competitive. Its still a party game by design. And being a 'game', its supposed to be fun. If you're getting stressed out to the point of whining on the forums, and prefacing it with 'I dont wanna whine or anything, BUT', then find a new game. Bite that bullet and just find something better for yourself. You're worth it and deserve a good time gaming. That's not happening here. So move on imo.

The idea of removing SWFS or being told its a SWF is just entitlement behind a 'Its for balance and fairness' mirror. Its old, annoying, and said time and time again. Play the game, get better when you get stomped by learning, and find out what you can do to improve.

• Beano744
    Beano744 Member Posts: 75
    Options

I don't think it's as big of an issue that you make it out to be. The game is a 1v4 asymmetrical game. Right out of the gates, the 1v4 shows that the game can never and will never be fair in any way, shape or form. Of course the killer is going to struggle more against a team that works together than a team that runs around doing side objectives and barely touching gens. It's only natural.

You even said yourself that you're playing at high mmr. Which is the top percentile of players. That's not going to be easy. If top tier play isn't fun for you, then there's nothing you can really do tbh unless you get into the mindset that you're trying to improve instead of win the game.

If the game stresses you out that much, maybe take a break from killer? Focus on your mental health. If the game isn't fun, then you shouldn't play it. I'm certainly taking a break because I'm tired of everyone having such a bad attitude in this game lol.

The post also gives off the vibes that you just ran into one of these groups of players and you're kind of stressed out? You had a bad match and you've come here to cool your head? Unfortunately that will happen and you just have to calm down. Chill out after a highly intense match, go drink some water, go have a walk, cool off.

• Beano744
    Options

This is all so perfectly said. You sir, have a correct opinion haha

• Beano744
    Options

Yeah this is facts, TCSM had the same issue. They had to remove seeing partied players because queue times would take forever.

• Beano744
    Options

This game is not built to be fair. There's going to be imbalances everywhere, and there is currently. You can't try to fix everything.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

High tier players are at that level because they want to win, try hard to win, and often do win. Why would you expect games at that level to be anything other than difficult? If you're in high MMR then presumably you play the same way. I saw in Pulsar's thread that you mention tunnelling being the best strategy for a killer, which I don't care if you do or don't tunnel, but you might find the dev post below relevant to your situation. Particularly the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

Also, I have diagnosed depression and severe generalized anxiety disorder too. I couldn't imagine any form of competitive play being healthy for me, and the energy of high tier play would make it worse. Setting zero expectations on myself and not caring about winning keeps me at an MMR I find relaxing more often than not.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,009
    edited December 2023
    Options

Swf is one thing.

It’s another when people pretend that the impact that a duo or trio has on the game is minimal compared to solo queue.

Sure swf can’t be nerfed, but this group is probably the one of the main reasons why players just tunnel and camp at 5 gens. If the game is full of bad players as the narrative goes, then it’s more likely for an average Killer to lose to a swf than 4 “competent solo queue players”.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I suffer from both a major depressive disorder and a generalized anxiety disorder and thus I have a hard time disassociating from things that I logically know shouldn't be stressing me out and making me anxious but still do.

Are you capable of playing any type of multiplayer vs. style game? I understand the difficulty of anxiety, but I'm not sure what makes DbD unique. It's a multiplayer game meaning that roughly half the time you should be losing, inevitably some of those times it will be a devastating loss.

I do not think survivor mains realize just how insanely stressful being the Killer is, especially when you are going against a full four man SWF that are communicating over voice comms

Everyone is different on this. I'll play killer against a 4 person P100 group and have a great time, as survivor it feels like my heart is going to explode even when we're running the killer in circles. Most people find one of the roles really stressful, but people disagree on which.

I do not enjoy playing against Seal Team Six as they get generator after generator done and I struggle to get hooks or win chases because they are somehow god tier loopers and body blockers. Games are first and foremost are supposed to be fun and playing against a SWF is not fun. There's a reason I keep hoping to either see how many survivors in the lobby are part of a premade or for playing against SWFs to be a matchmaking choice I can opt out of as a Killer.

I don't get a lot of fun being matched against a Nurse or Blight who have four survivors on the ground bleeding out before half a gen is even finished. I don't enjoy being in a soloq where we bring zero items and the killer runs double Iri. It's the nature of any multiplayer game that sometimes you are going to get crushed and DbD's design allows a mix of sweaty options (parts of which I'd change if I could, but its a both sides issue).

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

People who want to tunnel will tunnel regardless of who their opponents are.

After all, it is a strategy: removing someone from the game as soon as possible creates a 1v3 scenario, which is far easier for a killer to handle than a 1v4.

But this strategy is frowned upon. So it is their choice to do it or not, a choice which honestly isn't affected by the presence of a SWF group.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 397
    Options

I honestly think that the best solution that BHVR could do for this stuff is simply the same thing that a lot of other game devs do which is show an icon for anyone who's in a group together in the starting lobby so that if a killer wants to they can just leave. It's not denying survivor SWFs the ability to enter matches and it's allowing killers the option to just simply leave if they see a 3-4 man SWF.

• Zaydin
    Zaydin Member Posts: 186
    Options

My ultimate problem is that SWFs tend to be extremely poor winners and will not just god damn leave when they open the exit gates because they just have to rub salt in the wound that they won and will hold the game hostage and stand in the gates until the EGC is about to end unless you go over to chase them out just so they can teabag you on the way out.

I refuse to reward that behavior and will usually try to find unbroken walls or dropped pallets to smash for BP. Otherwise I just wish I could leave the match at that point without being penalized and get my BP instead of having to waste my time on people who need to grow up.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 397
    Options

I haven't seen much on TCM in a bit since it mostly died down now, but I've seen many games with this same type of system receive hardly any complaints about it because it's a perfectly valid system due to it not effecting direct gameplay and it just gives players an option to leave or not.

• Zaydin
    Zaydin Member Posts: 186
    Options

Simple solution: Give the Killer an enhanced BP incentive when dealing with a premade. Give me +200% BP to face off against a full four man SWF and I will stick around.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,039
    Options

If you show the killers in lobby if they are facing a swf they will constantly dodge or sweat to no end.

So you are damning swf to wait longer and longer matches to finally play against sweaty nurses and blights tunneling at 5 gens.

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436
    Options

Maybe DBD isn’t a good game for you considering everything you have already shared.

A good place to start would be for BHVR to stop with the ridiculous killer/survivor double standards. Make it so no can see the opponent, or their prestige or whatever someone is inevitably going to whine about.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,263
    Options

I mean playing DBD at a high level is miserable in general. It's genrush vs tunnelling which isn't fun for anyone.

• So_Saucee
    So_Saucee Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2023
    Options

So on top of the killer being able to see who we are and what we're bringing you to be able to know if we're a squad too oh yeah not mention to also be able to see us the entire match.

Post edited by BoxGhost on