We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

not getting rid of DC penalty now that there are bots is a bad decision

Options
luvcraft
luvcraft Member Posts: 1,211
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

I'm over here trying to get the "stun the killer 4 times in the same match" challenge, and every time I mess up badly I hook suicide, because it's faster than waiting for the DC timer. Sucks to be the other survivors.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    edited December 2023
    Options

I do wish the penalty was waived if your 3 teammates dc

Or in the case all 4 people dc as killer

i understand why it hasn’t been removed but I don’t like bots

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,488
    Options

I'm doing this challenge too but I'd rather do it naturally. Takes longer but doesn't ruin the game for everyone. As someone else said, change your username. I had a team mate do that and a Nurse of all killers would stop near a pallet for him to stun her lol

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,043
    Options

I wonder if stunning a zombie counts.

It would be great as with a Nemesis against you it would be much easier.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,847
    edited December 2023
    Options

DCing should never be standard practice for when you start to lose the game. No one wants to play against a full team of bots, plus you can manipulate your MMR that way and the whole system becomes invalid.

Every time the penalty is disabled you see multiple DCs nearly every game, and survivors still DC for the most innane reasons even with the penalty.

I had two survivors DC in my games yesterday. The first was pointless, they hadn't beened camped or tunneled, but the moment they went down the second time they vanished, and the rest of us escaped. The second time was with a 'farming' killer who was just throwing snowballs. If they were getting impatient all they had to do was repair gens like the rest of us, but they DCd after 5 minutes of spamming vaults, 2 minutes later we escaped.

Also, if killers did the same thing surviors do without a DC penalty, no one would ever touch an exit gate. Killer DCs as soon as the last gen is finished, and there's no bot to replace them.

Post edited by Seraphor on
  • Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,693
    Options

Seen from the killers view (they are humans too).

• Playing vs. bots suck.
    • They dont have any easy way out with out getting DC pen.

Your suggestion will only make it even worse for killers.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,668
    Options

OP is ruining everybody's life

because the DBD player's life heavily depends on the game. I feel so bad for them.

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 404
    edited December 2023
    Options

DC penalties removed would be the ultimate fun destroyer. Any time a killer had a bad chase or a survivor got down fast, people would DC.

I wish they double down on DC penalty abd removed kobe and self hook kills. If you are not in the mood to play a match with anything DBD has to offer, don't play it.

In other games, players dcing after some wrong plays makes the game very boring, specially when queues are taking a long time to fill.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,668
    Options

Its very interesting to see the suggestions that contradicts one another

Increasing penalty for DC and removing self hooks to avoid "fun spoiled". If those things are in the game people will just either go AFK and not even try to play it, just walking around doing nothing or just repair a generator until the killer comes and grab you. Is that fun too?

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,207
    Options

I had two survivors DC in my games yesterday.

Same. Both disconnected immediately when they noticed Pinhead was the killer.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,168
    Options

Im glad its there, to many would use a free dc to cherry pick matches.

• Rickprado
    Options

Well, if you are so determined to do this many times per day, then i would agree. But i think most of people will just play another thing after the second match they choose to be AFK/ Do nothing. Its a waste of time.

The problem is not the game itself but people: if you are hating the game/ having a bad day, why would you insist on playing and ruining every other person's fun?? Go play something else until you are in the mood again to play survivor or killer.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Options

They need to make a mechanic such as covenants/cults where if a player dies on hook at 4-5 gens (so 3v1 at 4-5gens left) another player will spawn in. That would combat and add an overall more enjoyable experience for mainly solo Q. This would not be OP against the killer since it would still be the start of the game. This would also combat that hardcore tunnel at 4-5 gens. And rather then just implement more endurance or more crazy things etc.. this would be overall the better way to go.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,245
    Options

If a survivor dies at 4-5 gens, even if the killer tunneled them, the survivors played poorly. Why should the killer be punished for that?

• Bravo0413
    Options

it would combat players offing themselves on hook because “they don’t like a certain killer” or they want to avoid the penalty to join a SWF.. imo there’s more positives to BHVR adding a system like this then negatives.

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options

Actually if the dc penalty didn't exist he would just dc and the survivors get a bot what he's doing is killing themselves on hook which makes no dc penalty and the other players don't get a bot its now a 5 gen 3v1.

• Bravo0413
    Options

i disagree. If you’re looking at the game where it’s like Freddy on Haddonfield and the Freddy tunneled a player and they got mad so they decided to go next on hook, I would still say that Freddy on Haddonfield is a necessary sacrifice for the entirety of the game. The players who see that it’s a Knight and insta go next at 5gens that needs to be combated… there’s ways to make it work.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,024
    Options

A bot is not a replacement for a person, its a stop gab.

• Rickprado
    edited December 2023
    Options

How to combat this: remove hook suicide and leave a quit punishment. If they want to quit, they will either need to endure a dc penalty or wait until the game is over. I don't think people will have patience to wait 10+ to a game end while they are AFK in many matches sequentially. They will either start playing or give up (and play another thing).

While watching a friend streamer playing, I've seen the same survivor kill himself on the hook twice at the first hook, just because he fell in the first minute of the match. Encouraging this type of behavior will soon lead to a situation where people will quit/ kill themselves at the first second they have any type of discont in a match.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,863
    Options

lol beat me to it.

This is why there is a DC penalty because of players like these.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,318
    Options

I would like to see it removed, though not particularly for the reason you described.

• luvcraft
    Options

Great discussion!

At this point I'm honestly liking the suggestion of getting rid of hook suicide completely. This would mean getting rid of struggle, but really, with a 4% chance of unhooking yourself, struggle is really only good for suicide (and arm flapping, but maybe something like that could be left in even if struggle is removed). Obviously, Deliverance would still work the same as it does now (it could even be simplified to "instantly fills your camp meter" when it activates).

If hook suicide were not an option, then I honestly don't think I'd ever consider intentionally DCing instead, and I would be encouraged to play normally and finish out the match.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,847
    edited December 2023
    Options

Another alternative could be a graduated 'camp meter' for the first hook stage. Each 25% could give you a chance to unhook yourself with increasing odds, for example 8%, 16%, 32%, then 100% when maxed.

This could give added weight to Luck perks/offerings, as a % increase to 16% or 32% is more significant than to 4%, but doesn't offer an unwarranted advantage as it still requires some 'camp' progress to activate, and therefore also wouldn't need to deplete the hook timer as a trade off.

Additionally, it could open up potential new perks similar to Deliverance. For example, a perk that allows you to take your 3 escape chances even during second stage. Less powerful than Deliverance so wouldn't need to be 'charged' by performing a hook save.

I still think it could be worth keeping the struggle mechanic, but toning down the rate at which failed checks deplete the gauge. So first hook can't be expidited, and 2nd hook stage could only be say 20 seconds quicker if you fail your struggle checks for a total of 40 seconds instead of the 15 it currently is.

• Hexling
    Options

its also better then not having anyone at all. The point being made is if the person kills themselves on hook you have nothing if they have no dc penalty and dc at least you have a bot. Something is better then nothing.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,282
    Options

The Bots are not helpful at all. I mean, I get the intention that people should DC instead of Hook Suicide, because then at least a Bot is spawned into the Match. But I dont see any difference between a 3v1 and a 4v1 with a bot.

The goal should always be to remove as many things as possible which make people quit. You will never get rid of everything (see OP...), but at least some things can be fixed.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

For me it was Head-On (got 2 stuns), blast mine (one stun) and decisive strike (last stun). No need to suicide just because it doesnt happen in the first chase...

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Interesting, i would think some people would just go afk and do somehting else till they dead.

• Hexling
    Options

I have seen games where my bot partner did 2 gens when I ran the killer. Without that bot I would not have gotten out.

• Mr_K
    Options

Why are we excusing someone ruining the game for others? Either you get a bot replacement or nothing is not the issue. Both options are not desirable. Also for something as petty as "can't complete my challege" as well. Bot are not there so survivors can shop for matches.

• luvcraft
    Options

lol, I've actually been running exactly that! Maybe today I'll finally get it...

• luvcraft
    Options

because this is an example of just one of a zillion reasons people hook suicide, and we're trying to discuss a good alternative that makes the game less awful for everyone else when that happens.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,705
    Options

You can't fix entitlement, which is the main reason the game is so "awful." It boggles my mind how committed people are to not playing the game.

Also threadly reminder that this is uniquely a survivor issue, as killers have no choice but to DC and eat the penalty. There is no suicide on hook for them.

• luvcraft
    Options

"OK, I'm gonna take everything said on this forum thread to heart, and stop hook suiciding"

*3 matches in a row of being left on the hook through at least one entire phase*

:(

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,637
    Options

No. What they need to do now is penalize first hook suicide players. There is no excuse for ruining the game for everyone else. None.

• Hexling
    Options

Well you are going to have to fix all the killers survivors hate then good luck with that. Or let the survivors see what killer they are about to face. Taking the struggle away will do nothing I would personally just go upstairs make some food and come back when I want too. Only other option is by having ranked where you get a dc penalty or pubs with none. You cant force someone to play a match they don't want to play so best solution is bots. Killers shop for matches all the time I have lobbies where I wait 20 min and 10 killers lobby doge from prestige and or utilities. Some people don't play this game to get out they play for content so making someone that doesn't want to play with a survivor like that is unfair. Some people play to only get hatch also unfair some people play only to do challenges like OP. So taking struggle away will just alienate more players or just make the games even more frustrating when you keep having to unhook people who go afk.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

This is purely a post to try and induce rage. OP's last sentence shows there is not a shred of care. Nice of you though!

• Dionysusdog
    Dionysusdog Member Posts: 115
    Options

The DC penalty is vital. The most interesting part of playing DBD is the utter random things players do. Mindgaming and trying outwit your opponents makes it so unique. Like a game of chess and a game of tag all mixed together. DCing players are the worst...bots are there to help the team after a player had a temper tantrum. Keep the Penalty or better yet increase it.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 4,986
    Options

Do you want games where killers play against all bots? Because thats how you get games where killers play against all bots.

Second question. Should killers get a DC penalty in your world? If not, then basically no match will ever get finished with all the players again.

• Mr_K
    Options

No one is forcing you to play any match. You chose to play that match when you ready up fully knowing the killer could be one you hate. The only legit reason to DC is if another player isn't playing by the rules. i.e. cheaters/exploiters. And in doing so you get a small 5 minute penalty because you shouldn't be DCing for petty #########.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

I don't rage or get mad at the game at all anymore. Worst I'll do is if I have to afk and can't hit hook then whoops. RL > game ALWAYS, idc what anyone says. If someone is hurt irl, or emergency, the game can wait. I was once told it's unsportsmanship like to afk when someone fell down the stairs and I had to call 911, ok lol what a weird way to think.

If others leave and a bot takes over I'll take that then this leave via hook junk any day. But now I get stuck with people who throw. I guess folks get punished for DC but not for throwing. That's cute.