FOV increase shouldn't make you easier target for flashes

Options
Chocolate_Cosmos
Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

It shouldn't hinder you just because you are sick (irl also possible) of default FOV.

That is very bad idea to bind such things together. Every Killer model should just have one hitbox for flashing and this shouldn't change in any shape or form. Same for Survivors hitboxes, imagine if some feature or perk would allow to increase it / shrink it.

Why punish players who need or want to use such feature, isn't it just bad? I somewhat accepted with Shadowborn which is a perk but as QoL feature it is very bad to keep it this way. Please reconsider.

Comments

• solsol
    solsol Member Posts: 71
    Options

Funnily enough Shadowborn does make flashlight saves easier by just a little bit. Very happy to get my fourth perk slot back though.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,460
    edited December 2023
    Options

The FOV has always been a part of the balance of the game. It's depends really what they're gonna do with the slider.

I looked into it a while back and I seem to recall DBD FOV is 89 degrees? Industry standard is between 90 and 110 degrees I believe.

If that's the range, I think its fine to keep the hitbox standard... but if players can start putting in 170 degrees and looking at the game through a crystal ball becomes meta, would be less inclined not to alter the hitbox...

So as long as the FOV slider isn't silly, it's fine to stay the same...

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,453
    Options

They said the opposite im pretty sure.

Someone asked if the increased FOV would widen the blinding angle, they said yes it would

• OrangeBear
    Options

Yeah im not looking forward to it honestly. Blinding has had power creep for about a year and this is going to further it. Thank goodness we have lightborn

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

It also shouldn’t make it easier to see survivors who could otherwise hide in your periphery but, well, here we are. 🤷🏽‍♀️ If you’re more easily blinded it’s just a consequence of accessibility, if that’s why you’re really using it. If you’re more easily blinded then it’s a drawback of the advantage.

• OrangeBear
    Options

tbh i totally forget that it's a FOV slider and not a solid increase

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,161
    Options

Im always think of that. If killers can pick between 89 to 94 (basekit and Shadowborne) why dont they just set 94. If there is no downside for 94, why anyone ever use anything under 94?

which is why I think it increases the blind angle.

Technically, I think we need more feature like that, like a slight basekit customization. I always think Myers’ mirror addon should be basekit customized instead of taking an addon slot, because of the clear downside come with them.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,379
    Options

I don't mean to be rude but your math is off. It's 89° + 15° = 104°.

I understand both sides of the argument. You have people that genuinely get motion sick from playing with the normal FOV and punishing them for using an accessibility feature just doesn't sit right with me.

But on the other hand you have people like me, that could play without the FOV slider but absolutely hate it because the game looks awful that way. I would be fine with the blinding angle being increased for me but of course I can't speak for everyone.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,638
    Options

It's a trade off. You get the benefits of larger FoV but in return you are easier to blind. Also, it's a slider. You don't have to use it (like the visual heartbeat, which some people find distracting, so they don't use it). Also if you genuinely believe they are redesigning the blind system with an entirely separate "blind" hitbox, you are... very optimistic to say the least.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,161
    Options

Im such a clown…

But I dont think anyone gets motion sickness with Shadowborne.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,379
    Options

There are players that get motion sickness without Shadowborn and they would definitely have to use the FOV slider then. I think you can still get it with Shadowborn (I'm no expert on it but from what I've read it's rather finicky). Punishing players that have to use the FOV slider by making them more vulnerable to flashlights just doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe it's not a big deal but I really don't like the idea. There is no downside for the visual TR either (quite the opposite, if we're being honest).

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

The time of shadowborn has ended and the time of lightborn has begun.

• LiveBritishReaction
    Options

A trade off for what? Being able to play the video game within actually acceptable calibration and accessibility parameters?

Besides, the blind angle is so absurdly wide anyways that they could leave it completely untouched and it’d probably be more in line with the new maximum FoV’s cone of vision.

• Zenislev
    Zenislev Member Posts: 152
    Options

It shouldn't be a trade off at all. Imagine if you played a game and chose to use subtitles, but if you did, all sounds in the game were heavily muffled and distorted. It's a choice, but not really. All it does is hurt the people who choose to use the option. It shouldn't be a thing.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2023
    Options

When the flash light flashes in your eyes it should blind you and with an increased FOV it can flash in your eyes more than in a regular FOV.