On a scale from 1 to 10, how important is ruin in your build?

NurseMainBTW
NurseMainBTW Member Posts: 531
edited March 2019 in General Discussions

Yesterday I discussed with some friends about how they just cannot play a Killer game without using Ruin at the higher ranks, deeming that otherwise they would just be rolled over by how quick some survivors can repair generators.

So, let's do a survey: From 1 to 10, how much is ruin important in your main killers' build? Remember to also state your rank for more precise informations. I play at Rank 1 and for me:

• Nurse 4/10: I tried many different builds on Nurse without ruin, all of this games were a real adrenaline rush since I would lose 2 gens already by the first hooked survivor (this also count the time used to find one and etc.). Still, she does hold her own even without the essential hex perk.
  • Hag 8/10: This was extremely hard, ngl. I tried running Devour Hope instead of ruin and it was extremely hard to keep the pressure on. Hag is strong enough to be a challenge but does still have glaring difficulties.
  • Pig 10/10: I played 3 games without ruin and in most of them would end with 4 gens done by the time I hooked just one survivor that looped me for good. I hardly believe it will be possible to play Pig against good survivors without having ruin.

Up to you guys, tell your thoughts.

Post edited by NurseMainBTW on

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

Probably a 3/10 on Freddy, I never feel like I need it with him. 0/10 with Pig. 6/10 on Legion, and a 0/10 on Spirit . Its helpful be I dont find it a necessary perk. Plus I hate playing with 3 perks

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155

0/10 on all killers. Ruin is complete luck, and I don't like to rely on luck.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

I actually feel the same way with Freddy. He doesn't really need Ruin.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

0 because I don't even use it.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,294
    edited March 2019

I don't use Ruin because it would get destroyed quickly by survivors who memorize totem locations or they would power through it. It's more convenient to make a build meant to snowball and go all in. I use Haunted Grounds / Devour Hope though on occasion.

The only time I use would Ruin is on Myers when I run Ultra-Rare addons. However I only rely on 3 perks anyway while using those addons and the fourth perk slot is just a throw-away so I just throw ruin on it. Otherwise I never use it even on killers like Trapper. It's just a liability having it equipped.

So if I were to scale that barely a 1 out of 10 but I feel as though a rating for this question may not be consistently judged among players.

Edit - Actually I interpreted the rating as using Ruin not relying on it. If the number is relying on Ruin then I'd scale it at a 0. Because in the one scenario where I use it it's a throwaway perk slot and I rarely play double ultra rares on Shape.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

0 because it does not last but 10 seconds

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

0/10

I don't like training survivors on how to hit Great Skillchecks consistently.

While playing survivor I will ignore Ruin and stick to holding M1. Unless I happen to see totem then I will break it, ofc.

• iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

I don't think any decent killer "relies" on Ruin. It's so RNG with totem spawns. Seems half the time your totem is destroyed in < 1 min. IMHO it's a very boring perk to run. I'd honestly use Pop Goes The Weasel instead if it was on a token system instead of a timer. The problem is Ruin is the best of the gen regression perks, but it's still bad.

So, for me it's a 5/10. I'm okay with or without it. I use my builds based on the type of perk it is. For example, I'll use one tracking perk, one gen regression perk and two chase/utility perks.

• Eveline
    Eveline Member Posts: 2,340
    edited March 2019

Lol like you can rely on it at all with stupid totem placements.

• michaelmyers87
    michaelmyers87 Member Posts: 458

With Michael I crush SwF at red ranks without ruin. I camp the first guy and run NOED.

• michaelmyers87
    michaelmyers87 Member Posts: 458

Wanna get to the end game fast? Okay I got a little something for ya.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

5/10 I can play well enough without it on killers like wraith and pig, but I play nice to the point of throwing the game, so it helps

• NurseMainBTW

Ok, so... i ######### up the title. What i meant by "relying" was the importance of bringing ruin into the build. I'll change the title but i'm pretty surprised that nobody here uses ruin.

... you guys forgot to state your ranks, also.

• Hex_Flex
    Hex_Flex Member Posts: 132

BBQ and Ruin is a part of all of my builds on any killer at rank 1

• The_Bogeyman
    The_Bogeyman Member Posts: 269

0 scale. Ruin is worthless.

• Eveline
    Eveline Member Posts: 2,340

Rank 1 and yes I use it so I can maybe at least gain some momentum in the first minute. After that or before that in many cases ruin is gone anyway. Time is important and even 10 seconds can cost you a game. So yeah I take it.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I only used ruin while i was trying to get my evil iii mori trophy. Other than that I just never use it, even at high ranks. I just don't like hex perks.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

1 on all ranks up to red.

I dont use ruin as I feel it can turn you dependent on it, getting a 4k without it feels a lot more rewarding and you learn more about map pressure and chases imo, if I feel dependant on any perk I don't feel I know how to play the killer well enough.

I rotate killers and play with Hag, Doctor, Huntress, Leatherface, Trapper and Myers the most.

I steer clear of Billy and Nurse unless I have a daily as I like the chase and mindgames of the others along with the challenge.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985

Question if ruin is so useless why do I see it on 95% of my r1 matches? Guess all those killers aren’t on the forums, lying, or not commenting.

• The_Bogeyman
    The_Bogeyman Member Posts: 269

Heh I know right. Ruin is like super duper popular but I don't get it. Most peeps find it real fast or just work on through it with the hex skill checks. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• BoxingRouge
    BoxingRouge Member Posts: 606

0/10 now that corrupt intervention is going to be available soon, pretty solid with pop goes the weasel.

• Orion

The thread has been open for a little over 90 minutes and has received some 20 replies. Maybe give it a little more time before trying to draw conclusions from it?

• KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747

10/10, I'm a trapper main and I use Ruin, Haunted grounds, BBQ, and then something like sloppy butcher or STBFL. I need ruin to slow down the early game so I can set traps. Haunted grounds is just so ruin can hopefully last a bit longer.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Rank 1 and I use ruin on every killer but only since there just isn't any other perk that has potencial to slow down the game as much as ruin can. Other perks either are too slow at it or don't have enough impact on survivor decision making.

I don't really have problem playing without it since rank 1 still has tons of boosted potato survivors but ruin gives me hope that if it's totem doesn't spawn in some obvious spot it could decently slow down even good survivors which is very valuable effect.

I'd give 5/10 for every killer since it's so unrealiable but it's the best we killers got.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423
    edited March 2019

I've stopped using it, It only ever lasts a couple of seconds and then you have the rest of the game with 3 perks, Gens do get done super quickly right of the bat but at least with something like sloppy butcher or the new Thana you'll stall the game a bit longer. I'd give it maybe a 2

• Pingo
    Pingo Member Posts: 11

10/10 when I play trapper (Like the guy above me said, I absolutely need ruin to set up my traps. Even if they power through the ruin, that's still enough time for me to set up important traps.)

8/10 when I play spirit (+Haunted + Devour, They're more reluctant to cleanse totems and gives them a 1/2 chance of either cleansing a good totem or a bad totem.)

9/10 when I play hag (Same thing with trapper, I need to set up my traps at pallets + windows so when I get into a chase they can run into my traps.)

Honestly unless it gets cleansed in under 30 seconds, I think the perk is necessary as generators have the potential to be done very fast.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I play a variety of Killers and for me it's a 0. I never use it. I certainly understand how useful it can be as a Survivor main but I don't really care too much about slowing the game down plus relying on RNG isn't to my liking.

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

I’ve play ranked 1 Legion matches without Ruin. As long as you can constantly apply pressure and keep Survivors off gens for as long as you can, Ruin isn’t needed. Everyone has their own preferences though and Ruin isn’t a bad perk at all, but it’s something you don’t generally need if you know what you’re doing, like not bringing NoeD into matches. You get use to situations and you adapt over time and work off of what you’ve learned. :)

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,900

It depends on the killer. The weaker ones need it to avoid that early gen rush when you're trying to hunt down survivors and apply some pressure, assuming its not found and taken out early.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I'm currently rank 1, but I play on console, where the average player skill is likely a fair bit lower.

I primarily play the Pig, and currently it's a one for me. Mainly because I find it too unreliable on account of it being a complete gamble with regards to how long it lasts and if someone spawns really close to it. I already have enough RNG to worry about with the Reverse Bear Traps. Maybe with the changes to totems, I might find it more worth running again, but we'll see

• Schinsly
    Schinsly Member Posts: 176

10/10

Playing Trapper without Ruin is essentially impossible. You need time to place traps down and if you place a trap in front of Ruin survivors are forced to disarm it (or they just run into it).

• jordirex
    jordirex Member Posts: 204

I have not used ruin since january 2018 on Huntress (which is mostly what i play all the time)

• JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750

I run multiple builds, on some I prefer PGTW instead of Ruin, but if I'd give it a score on average, I'd say 7/10, since ruin usually does give me more time for chases without gens popping like mad.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

0, haven't used it for the past 2 years. I dislike using any Perk that can be destroyed within seconds of the trial starting.

• xChrisx
    xChrisx Member Posts: 917

0 its a waste of slot. In every map it spawn at the same point

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

10 on Trapper and 0 on rest.

I want to win or lose cuz of my performance, not cuz survivors were bad and couldnt hit great skill checks.

• HeroLives

I’m not drawing conclusions from the comments, I’m drawing them from r1 experience. 95% of my matches have ruin on them. It’s always like,” no ruin?”, in pure shock when they don’t.

I just find it suspicious is all. If y’all can go no ruin good for y’all, it means you’re exceptionally good. I wasn’t directly pointing fingers at anyone, but if the shoe fits wear it on your head or whatever. It’s really not worth arguing about.

• Orion

You are drawing them from the comments. You've implied everyone here is lying about which perks they use.

• NurseMainBTW

I am also questioning this. If ruin is so bad to the point that none uses it anymore... than why my last 20 matches at rank 1 had all killers with ruin? Gotta be honest, I was expecting a lot of more positive answers to ruin instead of a perk being deemed bad/good for bad players.

• Orion

It's almost like the 20-30 replies in this thread aren't a representative sample of 95% of all trials at rank 1.

• NurseMainBTW
    edited March 2019

Nobody is saying that. If you read my answer again I was just expecting A LOT more people saying "Yeah I have to run ruin because" instead of "Ruin is bad" because from MY and only MY experience and good players I've talked with said that ruin is pretty much essential in rank 1 and it's worth the risk to get the headstart.

I am just surprised to see so much claims about ruin being bad when in game, at rank 1 survivor, I always go find ruin first because I know there'll be one. It has been like this for months.

• HeroLives

They use it if they don’t need it, they use it when they do. Hex ruin skill checks feel like normal skill checks at r1 .I see killers with high mobility powers using it the most.

Ruin is killer frosting on their perk build cake, no matter how much they diss it or complain about it. Not they anyone specifically ,but they in general. And no I’m not complaining about ruin for anyone reading and thinking I am, it’s just an observation.

• HeroLives

I said lying, not on the forums, or not commenting. It was 3 hypothesis.

• Orion
    edited March 2019

Which you came up with after 20 comments and 90 minutes of the thread being open.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Going with a range, depending on my build for each Killer, how said Killer plays out in a match and how I feel about Ruin paired with said Killer. Only listing Killers I have leveled up and have Ruin on them.

Spirit 0-2/10

Hag 8-9/10

Legion 6-7/10

Leatherface 8-9/10

Clown 10/10

Freddy 10/10

Nurse 5-7/10

Pig 8-9/10

Hag, Freddy and Clown are the biggest must-haves.

Hag to set up Traps and force them to get off Gens OR force em to stay in a spot longer, allowing me to catch em in a vulnerable spot. Also allows for Gens to be more of an issue once people are running amok with me,teleporting and downing people within the snowballing that Hag games offer.

Clown is a no brainer due to no map pressure and taking quite a bit of time searching, chasing and downing Survivors. Gen rushing against Clown is far too easy, even by usual standards.

Freddy is too greatly paired with a slow everything type of build. Ruin synergizes very well with him and allows me to get multiple people into Dreamstate, injured and allows for Survivors to have a difficult time getting Gens during the mid snd endgame.

• HeroLives

@Orion also I wasn’t calling you a liar, I’m not sure why you’re getting so triggered. Doesn’t matter anyways, I hope you have a nicer day. Like I said it’s really not worth arguing about. So let’s be forum friends, and not be petty towards each other arguing about something as miniscule as semantics.

• HeroLives
    edited March 2019

Doesn’t really matter what they comment Bc at the end of the day I know 95% of r1 matches have ruin in them.

WHETHER YOU OR THEY FALL INTO THE 95% OR THE 5% IS NEITHER HERE NOR THERE TO ME BC STATISTICS SHOW OTHERWISE NO MATTER HOW MANY COMMENTS ARE 0-10. THUS I CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION WHICH IS HOW DEPENDENT ARE KILLERS ON RUIN? AND NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY THE ANSWER IS 9.5 ON A SCALE OF 0-10. BC MATH

MIC DROP

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

0. I don't use it.

• Orion

"Let's be friends"

"Also, I'm gonna act super pissed"

Can you see why your attitude might present a problem?

• CrtKazz
    CrtKazz Member Posts: 214

Don’t have ruin unlocked so never used it. The highest rank I’ve been is 3 but not a killer main. I don’t feel ruin being necessary especially with other options available. Back in the day when only up to the huntress was out, it felt necessary with the lack of diverse perk builds. I love love love PGTW and the new surveillance to “slow the game down a little bit”.

Pig - pgtw, surveillance, discord, nurses/franklins/bbq/bamboolze

Clown - pgtw, bamboolze, spirit fury, fire up/remember me/blood warden

Legion - same as piggy

Spirit - same as clown

Again not a killer main but I have a lot of fun with these builds on these killers, still stop a lot of gen progression/gate escapes. I don’t need ruin and I don’t need NOED to do well at least on PS4. Yes you can get steamrolled but that’s a boring match for the survivors too so just move on.