The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How does swinging help with Decisive Strike?

Khalednazari
Khalednazari Member Posts: 1,433
I don't use DS as a survivor, but I have seen a lot of killers swing as they pick up an obsessed survivor. My question is that does it help the killers in any way? 

Best Answer

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓

It's an exploit. If timed properly, it cancels the DS activation. It works because the killer's attack miss animation takes priority over dropping a survivor.

Think of it as the same as hitting DS the same time you're being spirited away onto the hook, or hitting DS during a pick/drop up animation while they're dribbling you.

Even though DS won't activate, it will still go on its permanent CD.

Answers

• Russ76
    Russ76 Member Posts: 306
    swing?  could it be because of the survivor wiggle?  i have seen killers playing basketball (dropping survivors and picking them back up) but not sure about swinging.
  • Khalednazari
    edited June 2018
    I'm very much aware of the drop-pickup-repeat thing, but not really sure on why some killers swing and they do. 
  • Russ76
    Russ76 Member Posts: 306
    no idea.. maybe someone, with more knowledge, can answer.
  • apathytheclown
    apathytheclown Member Posts: 295
    edited June 2018

A killer might try swinging/hitting an object in hopes of throwing off your timing in hitting the skillcheck.

• Khalednazari

It's an exploit. If timed properly, it cancels the DS activation. It works because the killer's attack miss animation takes priority over dropping a survivor.

Think of it as the same as hitting DS the same time you're being spirited away onto the hook, or hitting DS during a pick/drop up animation while they're dribbling you.

Oh, this is really interesting! I might give it a try when I play as a killer. 
  • Khalednazari

A killer might try swinging/hitting an object in hopes of throwing off your timing in hitting the skillcheck.

This is what I thought, too. But yeah, it's also a distraction for new DS users. 
  • SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2018

@Khalednazari said:
    Visionmaker said:

Oh, this is really interesting! I might give it a try when I play as a killer. 

I have tried it a few times and it never works. From what i understand it requires alot of luck and impeccable timing but it can't hurt to try if dribbling is not an option.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@SadonicShadow said:
    I have tried it a few times and it never works. From what i understand it requires alot of luck and impeccable timing but it can't hurt to try if dribbling is not an option.

Yeah, it's definitely very, very hard. It has never worked against me (but I don't use DS often to begin with). I've only seen it work on streams.

IMO, the only plus side swing cancelling has over dribbling is that it's much harder to anticipate when a killer will do it. It's easy to time your DS and counterplay dribbling.

• SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

As people above already said, it might be a try to use an exploit, bu i personaly do it for saying "Go, use your DS"

• lay
    lay Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2018

I've seen someone doing it once but he did say it was pure luck and that it is not consistent.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

If the DS hits the exact frame you finish the swing animation, DS gets eaten. Its pure luck as you dont know when the skillcheck will appear. It worked once for me, but man, does it feel good to see that DS icon. The survivor DC'ed :D

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    When I play killer and I know they've got d strike I just wiggle like crazy after 3 seconds of picking up. Its caught me a few times so it definetely helps catch out a few d strike users.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    If its timed correctly it'll cancel out the decisive strike while using it up. Its an exploit.
  • Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    I didn’t know it was an exploit?! For me I did it as a sign, like go ahead and give me the D! Lol