Is nodding at killer (not excessively, like once, greet before the chase etc) seen as toxic now?

Options
Shaped
Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I am asking because I often take very long breaks from this game and things change along the way.

Considering some people got angry over it like I bm'ed (tbagged), I felt like asking the community how they see it in scenarios such as mine, when it is used like once and not excessively.

Comments

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 337
    Options

Some could see it as toxic, but pretty much any little thing can be considered toxic to players, it’s very subjective.

*Nods at Killer*

Killer: “Let’s go!!”

vs

*Nods at Killer*

Killer: “Oh… okay you wanna those Survivors huh?? Camping you and tunneling you since you wanna bm”

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,826
    Options

I would personally think you were BMing, but it would not make me angry. I've never had a Survivor do that before. My assumption would be that, but it wouldn't irritate me to any extent, certainly not the way tbagging would.

• ember__lol
    ember__lol Member Posts: 61
    Options

sorry could someone explain what bm means?

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Personally, I love those subtle interactions from Survivors

Wish there were more options as such, to engage in unspoken convo between Killer and Survivors before, during and after chase… what you’re describing is, imo, playful and fun. Maybe just me, but I enjoy these instances in-match.

Obvz ppl take things to extremes and, in turn, spoil the goodness of it all for everyone.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Everything in this game is considered Toxic.

• Shaped
    Options

Bad manners, like trying to provoke someone, taunting them etc.

Thanks everyone for answering, I will stop doing it I guess.

And @GeneralV hello to you too bro. Hope everything is well.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

Totally depends on context; It can be wholesome, or it can be taunting/mockery.

But at worst it's BM, not toxic.

• ember__lol
    ember__lol Member Posts: 61
    Options

ohhh okay. thank you. and as a killer main it really depends on the survivor and skin and prestige yk. like nice looking friendly survivors i take it as them being nice or jokingly being like "come at me bro".

but if its like a p100 meg/nea im like "okay ur mean imma be meaner"

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,100
    Options

Personally, I find the nods pre-chase a bit irritating - espcially the one-nods. The excessive nods paired with some goofy outfit make me chuckle tho; it's a 50:50 if that surv is gonna be toxic af or just gonna goof around. - Now, the mid-chase-one-nods; at a window/when taking a break from mindgaming that pallet/window again or something like that I view more as a "yo - wassup? Feel like we know each other at this point" I usually do sth goofy back.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,285
    Options

I think it's just harmless goofy fun, but there is a lot of people that assume malice from essentially every action the game allows you to perform so Your Mileage May Vary alert.

• WhoSoup
    WhoSoup Member Posts: 158
    Options

Anything is toxic if you intend it to be toxic. Just nodding in itself is a gesture that can mean many things. Whether or not it's toxic depends entirely on the context.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,762
    Options

Personally it irritates the crap out of me

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 578
    Options

I just always assume its BM and 99/100 times I'm right so I just go for the tunnel camp

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,385
    Options

Toxicity lies in the eyes of the beholder.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,123
    Options

Most things are taken as toxic by lots of killers, lol. Even when completely unintentional or innocent.

Hell, some killers will chase you for 3-4 gens, essentially losing the match for some diehard reason to tunnel you. They get you, put you on hook & proceed to facecamp, hit you on hook, nod at you, etc. And you did nothing to do them besides ..try your best to survive in chase. Some people will ignore all the emoting, teabagging, nodding, etc because they just want to focus on winning the match & don't care for that stuff. Really just depends on the person.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 533
    Options

As others have said players on both sidescan come up with virtually any excuse under the sun to decide your being toxic no matter what you do!

I get tunnelled out / targeted a lot because my main is Meg (thats toxic apparently been told by more than 1 killer) don't t bag, never bring torch except stupid tome challenges, point or hang at the gate for no reason but hey playing as Meg you deserve it! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options
  • TSQuint
    TSQuint Member Posts: 88
    edited January 25
    Options

Why are players doing this crap? If you have to question if it's a toxic and stupid thing to do, that means you shouldn't do it. It shouldn't be too much to ask of people to just play the game.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 547
    Options

Idk about toxic, but it certainly looks dumb.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,115
    Options

I love it when Survivors or Killers nod at me.

Usually if the match is intense and the other side nods at me it diffuses the tension, even if they had bad intentions.

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 171
    Options

When I see the killer for the first time in the game I do a tbag (just one), in my head it's like saying "I know you saw me, I saw you too, if you want let's do a chase, I'm ready" 🤣 in my mind it's like a greeting, I don't want to offend him at all

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,274
    Options

I think its funny, might give em a few nods myself back

One thing I can guarantee you is that I will nod against a Slinger. Being speared and nodding is one of the funniest looking things in this game

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    edited January 25
    Options

Essentially its an in game gesture with no real described meaning or context.

Therefore your opponent is free to interpret it how they choose and while I'm sure plenty of people will either not care or brush it off, there are also plenty of people who want to think the worst of their opponents and interpret everything as toxic.

So no its not inherently toxic but that doesn't stop someone interpreting it as such.

• Shaped
    edited January 25
    Options

Meg gets bad rep lol but I like playing her sometimes regardless. She is one of the og's.

True I just don't want to do it if it makes people angry since it is not needed so I don't do it anymore. It is a shame we have to dehumanise our opponents so much that we just treat each other as ai. I find people get too angry in this game but I try to look at it with different perspective recently as someone who felt similar.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Nothing wrong with being mindful of other players.

But remember don't compromise on your own fun too much simply because other people get angry at trivial things.

If tantrum throwers ruled the world and always got their way then nobody would have any fun... ever.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 372
    Options

You know why you are nodding at them. You are doing it on purpose. I know if I saw someone irl nod at me I would get so angry.

A lot of others said it best already. This is a game meant to have fun. That is what everyone is doing. Enjoy the ride. Turning it into something that you just look for wrongdoings takes away what the game is.

• MrRetsej
    MrRetsej Member Posts: 27
    Options

As someone who mainly plays killer but does dip their toes in the survivor side of the pool, I don't see a head nod before or after a chase as toxic. It's a lot faster animation than the finger point, is not as blatantly obvious a bm as a t-bag and personally feels more like a fencer's salute than anything else.

Admittedly, to do a head nod at the start of a chase is kind of ballsy considering every second counts, so if it bites a survivor in the rear for using that time to do it rather than start running, then I'm all for it. And if they win the chase, then more power to 'em. More often than not, I've only really seen head nods (not to be confused with 'no' head shakes) after a chase has concluded at the gate when there's no way I can reach them in time, in which case I'll nod back to acknowledge the win.

Honestly, I'll take a head nod over a t-bag every day because at least the former isn't as universally insulting as the latter.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

Bad manners. Certain behaviour to make the other person feel bad

• Vithar
    Vithar Member Posts: 28
    Options

Playing as a killer – I never consider even excessive nods a rude gesture. I'm aware, that survivors might ensure I see them nod, cause they not posses a red stain that makes a nod more visible.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,402
    Options

On its own, I wouldn't say that's toxic unless you're specifically doing it to be toxic. The intent matters in this case.

That said, pretty much any gesture is open to interpretation, and it really depends on the context. If someone is already having a rough match- or if you're really good and give them a long chase- they're more likely to be frustrated and associate a random gesture as taunting. Meanwhile if things are going well for them and you're clearly messing around with some meme perks, there's a better chance they'll see it as something harmless.

In the end, you haven't done anything wrong. You have no way of knowing what's going through their head, so you can anticipate how they'll see it. If it's a silly thing that makes you happy, by all means do it.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

fellow killer main i almost agree

if i see someone nod or tbag i just assume they are friendly but if they tell me to chase them then i realise that and do so