SWF with "Anti-Hook" tactics - might be the best counter for tunneling

Options
Unknown2765
Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,904
edited January 30 in General Discussions

So, from personal experience:

My SWF had enough of 'bully' killers that tunneled people at 5 gens and proxy camped. While these are allowed game tactics, they're annoying AF.

So, we decided to give back and went full hook denial with our perks, stuns, flashbangs, and sabo. While it can lead to a swift death, it significantly improved our survival rate, some killers even quit the game.

I still think this might be the meta to counter the tunneling now.

(Sucks for solo queue survivors though.)

What do you think?

Post edited by Unknown2765 on

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

I mean, sure. What ever floats your boat I guess

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,354
    Options

Same as killers who decide to make their next group's game miserable after they get stomped, just ruins the game for more people.

• Unknown2765
    edited January 29
    Options

@GeneralV

So what? we cant use the perks in the game because it ruins it for others??

Sounds just like the people hating on killers that use NOED, its a part of the game, ofc. it goes...

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 848
    Options

What may be bullying for some may be interactions for others. It's a shame we can't coordinate Head Ons or sabo breaks without someone thinking they are getting bullied.

And then people wonder why gens fly because it's frowned upon to break a hook or make a FTP play.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

You can, of course. But should you?

It is just like @xEa said. Fighting an unpleasant experience with an unpleasant experience isn't going to be met with praise.

Is tunneling a problem right now? Yes, it is. But there are better ways to fix the issue.

• Unknown2765
    Options

4 out of 5 matches are with tunneling killers, its called to adapt to the most common play style.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    edited January 29
    Options

Not in my experience, more like 2 in 5. Still a problem. Not the majority.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 407
    Options

Using the chosen terminology to demonize the killer methods is not a good way to begin your proposed method to help the game. With that out of the way, choosing your teams best method to achieve your goal is what your team should always strive for. If you do not have strong loopers this tactic is a good alternative for your group. The groups reasoning just based on your phrasing was a bit negate, but finding your way to success is a win.

I play equally as survivor and killer. I enjoy seeing new tactics in general. It just improves my gameplay. I hope it was more the negative experience led your team to think up a strategy rather than how to best torture another.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

P100 Nurses and Blight equipping best add-ons and perks along with map offerings telling themselves never again after this.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    Options

Odds are they were already playing Blight with Lethal Pursuer, Alchemist Ring, and Blighted Crow.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498
    Options
  • MalekithHatesSnow
    MalekithHatesSnow Member Posts: 245
    Options
  • mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

Revenge is a fools game. If they do end up playing as you described, which is very common these days, then let the canonns loose and hit them hard because you're only matching their energy. As others have said, playing like that 24/7 only creates more of these killers we all hate to face.

• Unknown2765
    Options

Its a bit random, our SWF community have both strong loopers and not so strong loopers, we are more than just 4 is its all about who is playing, its not about demoralizing the other side, but simply to counter the constant tunneling. :)

I think you get me all wrong, its not about revenge, but countering the constant tunneling.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,808
    edited January 29
    Options

I see this tactic plenty, and I don't tunnel, so the survivors doing it aren't trying to counter me or my playstyle, they're demanding I play in a way I don't want to so they can use the perks they brought. The number of survivors who desperately try to annoy me to get me to tunnel them so they can show off their anti-tunnel build is astounding. And when I refuse to chase them and go stare at an exit gate because I've finished my challenge or daily or whatever and since I'm not having fun there is no incentive for me to continue playing, a surprising number of survivors will disconnect rather than do gens and take the free win. (They'll also disconnect if I counter their build by slugging the four of them and letting them bleed out, so the survivors have a very specific way they want the match to go and any deviation on my part upsets them.)

In other words, the problem with asking "Is this playstyle good?" is that you're probably asking if it's okay to play that way all the time, and if you're playing to "bully" a tunneling killer who's not actually tunneling, and if you play in a way that makes every non-meta killer you face miserable, then you risk not having non-meta matches, whether it's because killers quit or go AFK or you only get Nurse slugging matches so that you're regularly spending 4 minutes each trial watching YouTube as you wait to finish bleeding out. You're playing against a person, not a bot, so tailor how you play to that person's playstyle, otherwise what you're doing isn't so much countering them as spreading the misery around.

Edit: In general, a hook-denial build is by definition good for countering getting hooked, and getting hooked is part being tunneled out, ergo yeah, anti-hook builds are good for countering tunneling. A hook-denial build will help against any killer who's not playing to get a four-man slug. Hook-denial is a valid tactic. You used the word "bully" in your original post, and in regards to bullying, that's not so much a valid tactic to win as it is a way to make your opposition miserable and encourage them to quit, which shouldn't be anyone's goal.

• Unknown2765
    Options

True, i did also put it in " because i dont think its bullying, but its my understanding that a lot of players see it that way.

The only way i see it as bullying is when survivors dont do gens and only focus on tautning the killer into the playstyle they want, much as you described.

"We" in our swf, dont play to bully but to survive and get gens done, using the perks at our disposal...

Tho i might spit some curses when the killers are tunneling at 5 gens. :)

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

It was meant to be a joke. But if being serious, against chill teams which suggests lower MMR you will get a plethora of more killers to face besides meta killers, I don't play survivor that good and stick around the MMR where you can still get Trappers and Freddies, and inevitably if you play sweatier and really don't want to lose again (at least most as possible) you will play Nurse, Blight, Spirit, and other top tier killers.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,426
    Options

While it can lead to a swift death, it significantly improved our survival rate, some killers even quit the game.

If you are employing a strategy in an attempt to win the game, its not bullying.

Things like gen rush and tunneling are unfun/unfair because they never give the other side a chance. Bullying are things like leaving survivors to bleed out or infinite head ons that are meant to trap someone else.

What you're talking about seems to be just what the survivors should do (unless you are playing comp with different win conditions). You should really try and prevent any survivor from being eliminated, so if a killer is going for a tunnel then you definitely want body blocks, flashy saves, hook sabos, etc.

This is one of the reason many on the forum encourage killers not to tunnel, because it will eventually get them to an MMR were they hit SWFs like you who have the coordination to counter it.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,354
    Options

No one is saying you -can't- use those things, but you do so knowing it's miserable to go against so it certainly doesn't make you a good person.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,808
    edited January 30
    Options

Yeah, I don't buy the narrative that most games involve hard tunneling killers. I have multiple thousands of hours and for me it's maybe 1 or 2 of 5 matches. Tops. Either people are lying, exaggerating, or have really loose definition of tunneling. Or they had a bad small sample run of tunneling killers and are having an overreactive moment.

But most likely a narrative people sell themselves on to excuse playing like dbags, like killers who tunnel because "everyone genrushes".

My problem with the premise of the OP is that a full hook denial build isn't something you tack on just in case the killer tunnels. That's not a reaction, that's a gameplan. Full hook denial is obnoxious, especially when it's a SWF, who were already playing at an advantage. I've rarely seen a team just start denying hooks mid-match; the come out of the gate doing it.

I don't know what the solution for tunneling is, but going into every match with full hook denial in the forefront of your mind isn't it. That going meta is only going to lead to increased toxicity and a major spike in slugging/bleedouts.

I'm pretty chill as a killer, but hook denial squads are one of the few things that can induce me to play in a really nasty, ruthless fashion. Ironically, my response to a really effective hook denial squad is to target one or two of them and make sure that their experience is as miserable as mine is.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

there's nothing wrong with bringing stronger perks or playing better when you get tough opponents.

As long as they aren't being toxic in endgame chat or intentionally trying to make killers DC/have a bad time, and just playing in a way that denies hooks (which killers define as "bully" but is not really), then this is fine.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    edited January 30
    Options

To comment on OP's point, yes I think this is more efficient than anti-tunnel like DS and OTR. FTP Buckle up combo and flip flop power struggle combo are great in SWF to prevent hooks and tunneling. Even better both cannot be countered by lightborn, iron grasp, etc and do not rely on items. Pallets are somewhat of a finite resource but should be enough to power through the gens and escape.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,061
    edited January 30
    Options

Hope your entire swf squad is on anon mode. Assuming your MMR reaches a point where all you see are good Killers, some of them will recognize your squad names and either lobby dodge or bring a build to counter your altruism build.

If I see you complaining about Killers lobby dodging your swf a few months from now resulting in longer queue times, you get no sympathy from me.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,902
    Options

I think play how you want. Killers can slug, tunnel, camp, and survivors can use the tools and tactics at their disposal as well. I have no problem with people matching sweat for sweat.

• Gonzy
    Gonzy Member Posts: 1
    Options

This is something I've noticed more and more I've been playing, started playing during Christmas with some friends since we had free time then, and now I find myself solo queuing since our work schedules not matching anymore. It's been extremely frustrating finding tunneling killers and some that just leave you on the ground while staring at you.

Fortunately, most games aren't like that but sometimes one gets unlucky like I did today, and out of 5 or 6 games you get 2 games with killers being very annoying hard tunneling and leaving you on the ground, and those games have the potential to ruin the whole gaming session for the rest of the day when it happens.

But In the same coin, I could see "bully" squads being very unfun for the killers as well and ruining their fun for the rest of the session, and since it's a video game, you know, everyone would like to have fun.

Said that I like to know tips from you guys on how to help a little bit against killers leaving you in the ground or tunneling. Is there something one can do to counter it as a solo queue? I'm still very inexperienced in this game and sometimes I struggle a lot, so any tips are welcome! 😊

• Ghostofsnow
    Ghostofsnow Member Posts: 159
    edited January 30
    Options

if a whole team is on the killer, no one is progressing the game state in their favor, I'd say bully squads only work with a large experience difference.

but then again Ive seen many 1k+hr players matched with people with 12hrs in the game before.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,119
    Options

background player+flashbang and For the people+Buckle up squad are annoying to play as killer. you constantly get denied from first hooks for long while. Tunneling becomes increasingly difficulty.

Your not wrong when you say that the match feels like a killer bully simulator.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,560
    Options

I play nice for most of my matches. Don't let some people get to you.

We can always be better.

• Unknown2765
    edited January 30
    Options

so you went out of your way to ruin the game for other players.

Wait, what? What are you even babbling about?

Taking it a bit to the extreme, are we? I bet you are one of the tunneling killers.

I did reply to that already more than once. It's not to annoy anyone but to survive, using the perks in the game (you would have known if you had read the thread).

And it's not like we don't do gens.

Aren't you a bit thin-skinned to play the game if you think that's going out of our way to annoy people?

Also, this is not a brag thread but an attempt to discuss if this is the new meta with all the tunneling going on. But I guess you see what you want to see?.

I didnt say that?

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675
    Options

The problem is you will then just lose because less people are doing gens. I myself have never lost to a bully squad in ages because its simply not effective.

• Unknown2765
    Options

Why do you even call it a bully squad? we are trying to survive.

And as i stated, the matches started going better, than before we did this.

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368
    Options

It is never a good idea to take your frustrations out on unrelated people.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675
    Options

I am sure they can, but a killer who does not give an f will just simply ignore the tactics an use the counters against them and then you are left with a survivor team who has less people on gens, which favours the killer.

• Unknown2765
    Options

Try reading the thread, im kinda tired of repeating my self by now

• Unknown2765
    Options

Exactly, we dont do it to make the other side missarable but to survive, sadly there is a lot of people that draw the wrong clonclusion from this, i guess people see what they want to see. The fact that i even have had to explan this to several people in this thread speaks for it self.. they assume this is to annoy the killer.