Fellow Freddy players, do you feel powerless sometimes?

Options
GeneralV
GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212

I know there aren't many of us left, but I wanted to ask this question to those who still main / play Freddy.

Tonight has been a bit difficult for me as a Freddy main, I had a streak of bad games. And on some of those games I felt like I was playing a killer that completely lacks a power.

Between generators being completed as I'm teleporting to them, chasing an awake survivor or hitting one who is immune to falling asleep, I've had scenarios where it didn't seem I had anything to use in my kit other than a basic attack.

There was one match on The Game where this was particularly prominent. It is a bad map, I know, but when I played Old Freddy on his worst map (which in my opinion was Blood Lodge) I knew I had something to work with. Here I just... didn't.

Obviously I don't expect to be able to do everything I could do with Old Freddy's kit, but feeling like I have nothing at my disposal was very frustrating.

Do any of you feel the same?

Comments

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,677
    Options

Yep.

And you can’t even rely on the Grim Embrace/DMS meta like the other killers because you just lose your teleport then.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Yeah Freddy is sadly feels exactly like that against good teams.

I can force good survivors to drop pallet as Clown because his power has actual effect on survivors.

I can sneak around as Wraith and get surprise hits because his stealth is good and his speed is even better.

As Sadako, i can teleport around and put pressure on gens.

Freddy have all of those powers but so much weaker ofcourse. His anti-chase is joke and does not exist. He can use some add-ons for a bit stealth but his lullaby will tell survivors he is coming. And his teleport has long cooldown and every finished gen is removing his options for teleport.

Freddy is probably the saddest killer atm. Trapper and Myers are also weak killers but at least they both have some decent add-ons which makes them playable. While talking about add-ons, Freddy also has some of the worst add-ons ever.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,076
    Options

His first debut was that his only power was to m1 and now it is.

• M1_gamer
    M1_gamer Member Posts: 338
    Options

yea. sometimes. the only killer in the game that gets weaker towards endgame.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options

Yes. It's what I call the Freddy experience and it's why I consider him the weakest killer in the game.

I made a post a while ago with all the ways Freddy can be countered and left with pretty much nothing. He is in such a sad state. Why do survivors need to wake up after getting hooked? Why do survivors get immunity to sleep after interacting with an alarm clock? Why do survivors start the match awake? Why can't Freddy have any synergy with pallet perks? Why does Adrenaline have to wake you up? Why can't he teleport to finished gens?

I sincerely hope we'll see Freddy rise soon. Stay strong, friend. Billy's rework means there is hope for Freddy.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 448
    Options

Freddy is one one the killers i've got the highest winrate on. Try this build PR,DMS, Nowhere to hide, Discordance with Class Photo and either iri.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,191
    Options

With Freddy it really doesn't feel like you have control over when you can use your power. It doesn't feel fun at all from the killer's point of view.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,420
    Options

Freddy needs a third rework and do something interesting, unique, fun and somewhat powerfull again. And give him also add-on pass while we are at tit.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,762
    Options

yes

This is why I usually have bamboozel and coup de grace on just to make my experience easier on him personally

• Kius
    Kius Member Posts: 140
    Options

He needs a REWORK for YEARS now he has been on a terrible spot he was only felt somewhat alright because of the perks that were on the meta during that time.

• CompleatBeet
    CompleatBeet Member Posts: 117
    Options

I'm not a Freddy main but I tried playing him as I was levelling him up to get his perks. Probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had as a Killer, and won't play him again until something drastic about him gets changed. Not only does he feel powerless a lot of the time, as you rightly said, but boring and incredibly unfaithful to the source material. Freddy has so much potential for a creative, fun and terrifying power with how powerful he is in the Nightmare on Elm Street films, yet his entire gameplay loop is placing red puddles and teleporting to a generator every now and then. He needs an entirely new Power, something that's fun to play with, terrifying to go up against and one that leans into his Dream world abilities. There is nothing interesting about this character's Power at all and overall he needs a complete overhaul.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,394
    Options

Yeah he’s sadly been in a terrible state due to nerfs and power creep. I miss old Freddy honestly, yeah he was worse but at least he was unique and fun (subjective).

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I may not main him but when I do play him I am lucky to get a 2k with Freddy. I usually get a 1k. I just don’t feel like I have enough tools at my disposal to help me. Especially against higher mmr.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 480
    edited February 4
    Options

My dear friend!

I pretty much know exactly how you feel. Lets summarize it once more:

1.) Dream Projection:

The cooldown is unbelievable long. Because there are so many ways to avoid being asleep, the teleport-cooldown-reduction per asleep survivor is more a gamble than a strategic option.

Secondly, the Channeling takes 3+seconds and there is not a single addon to fasten it up.

Being unhooked gives you Immunity for 10sec, Deep Wound means no falling asleep, Immunity thanks to Alarm-Clocks on top of it.

2.) Dream Snares

Same issues, but extra-hard. Too much immunity, so basically COMPLETELY POWERLESS as a M1-Killer with NOTHING. On top of it, they dont do a lot. I use Coupe de Grace which helps a lot to make Snares work a bit better.

3.) Addons

Well, no words needed. Red Paint Brush every single game, 2nd addon is Black Box as a meme or Unicorn-Block for at least a bit of Blindness. Everything else is just GARBAGE.

4.) Dream Pallets

In short: Ignore that crap. Either bugged spots or no spots or Discord.

Oh, and one thing too: Adrenaline wakes you up in 2024. So cool! So fun!

So yeah, worst killer in the game!

His best way for me is: Pain Res, Dead Mans Switch, Tinkerer and Coupe de Grace (Coupe synergyzes with Snares, DMS with his Fake-Teleports and Tinkerer to know where to fake even mid-chase). Oh, and run Red Paint Brush EVERY SINGLE GAME to at least have your power at the start und get your teleport faster. Its the only way.

Or you try Endgame Build. Thats literally it.

• GeneralV
    Options

Thanks for the answers everyone. It is sad to see how often those scenarios happen, though I suppose they are unavoidable with Freddy being the way he currently is.

I don't think he is the worst killer in the game, but it is close. This is the weakest Freddy has ever been, and experiencing situations where you have nothing to use is just terrible. It is hard to believe this is what became of that amazing killer I first played in 2018.

Hopefully we will eventually get Old Freddy with his QoL improvements so we can finally move past this horrible chapter of his history in DBD.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,054
    edited February 5
    Options

I just tunnel and camp if needed.

If people are complaining about a M1 Killer that loses his power as the game progress tunneling, that’s a skill issue on them.

Freddy only punishes people who aren’t good with pseudo stealth. Anyone who pays attention while doing gens won’t even give him free hits

• GeneralV
    Options

I believe the only players Freddy actually punishes are the ones who completely disregard his counterplay, and even then it doesn't help him much.

A survivor paying no mind to Dream Pallets might grant you one hit or two, but in the grand scheme of things you still have situations in the trial where you play without a power, so it is kinda pointless.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

I play Pallet Freddy exclusively and the difference in matches is night and day.

A few days ago, I played a match on Toba landing and getting free hits was so difficult because the Survivors knew the map, took alarm clocks regularly and paid attention to the surroundings, I only got my first down after 3 gens popped and ended the match with 6 hooks and no kills

Yesterday, I got fractured cowshed and managed to get 3 free hits at the start of the game followed by a down after 1 gen was done. I ended the game with 10 hooks, 4 Kills and 1 gen left.

For people who don’t really know Freddy or are new, what I’ve noticed is they start walking around slowly looking about aimlessly when they hear my Lullaby while I walk up to them and hit them for free while Survivors who do pay attention identify where I am and begin holding W even before I even close the distance.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,409
    Options

Ahhhh our Freddy main. Hello again GeneralV πŸ˜ƒ

The last time I ran him it was a splinter on my Myers wayyyyyyy before the major rework. I seem to recall it taking like 9 seconds to put a surv to sleep, and there was around 137 ways for them to wake themselves or each other up.

As for today's Freddy I just think he's even more of a noob-stomper than by beloved Piggy, all because few know how to deal with him in the beginning. Against decent survs, or really just those paying some attention during the game, he gets soul-drainingly weaker and weaker until he's almost useless. Sad, and he should he one of the most badass killers as a licenced one plus lots to draw from in all those movies. Even his mori seems uninspired and a lil lame.

You've got grapefruit sized cajones to main him in his current state my friend!

• GeneralV
    edited February 5
    Options

Hello, friend! It has been a while.

Truth be told, no matter what they do to Freddy I'll always main him. If his awful rework back in 2019 wasn't enough to make me abandon him then nothing is. But it feels bad, you know? It has been over four years since my favorite killer was literally taken away, and replaced with a boring mess.

A boring mess that often lacks a power to work with.

But I have hope I'll get my killer back eventually.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 480
    Options

At least you were around to feel the real Freddy in the game. I only played the current one, cause I play since 2021.

The biggest + for me is DMS-Gen-Blocking with Fakes. Thats it.

I would love to see OG Freddy.

• GeneralV
    Options

I am really sorry, my friend. You would have loved him, I'm certain of it.

Especially his on-release version, which lasted for a week in 2017 but in my honest opinion it was the only flawless killer BHVR has ever designed.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 533
    Options

You inspired me to drop a comment friend 😊

I agree freddy these days often feels rather powerless & I long for a day when a middle ground between old & new might be reached ( I know we all differ on exactly what that is) truth be told though these days I only play Freddy for daily challenges or to grind a little more on his achivements (switched to xbox after the rework so had to start again)

I think the biggest travesty of all though is I keep stats of my games in 2023 I played against 3 Freddy's the whole year!

Next lowest was Twins at 53

Hag was 3rd lowest at 57.

(Wesker was highest at 933 in case anyone is wondering) played just under 8,000 games on survivor in 2023.

I'll give freddy a few rounds tonight win or lose at least someone will get to see him!

• GeneralV
    Options

I'm happy you decided to stop by, my friend :)

I'm still playing him a lot, of course. Trying to get him to P100, gotta catch up with everyone else who already finished the prestige journey for their mains while I was away from the game.

And his current state is just sad. Hard to believe he used to be that fun and unique killer we loved. If Nightlight is to be believed, he has the third lowest pick rate in the entire game.

Only 3 Freddys the whole year? This is something that really shouldn't have happened.

I wish you good luck on your games tonight, my dear friend. Please tell me if you get some interesting results.

And never lose hope! I'm sure we will get our killer back.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,409
    Options

Here ya go. Thinking you seeing some of these may put a smile on ya! 😎

• GeneralV
    edited February 6
    Options

Thank you, my friend! I'm always happy to see pictures from the golden days.

It is good to remember that time when DBD was one of the best games I've ever played.

EDIT: Since this is a thread about Freddy, I'll leave a cool picture here.

Post edited by GeneralV on
  • Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 528
    Options

freddy is the single worst killer in the game any decent team should not lose to freddy and if they do it should be due to a misplay that allows the freddy to use heavy slowdown perks or something alike

• GeneralV
    Options

I don't think Freddy is the worst in the game, but it is close. Very close.

On some trials I've had survivors who didn't bother to wake up, because staying in the Dream World is not a threat anymore. This has the potential to backfire, and if it does then I'd say Freddy is in a slightly better spot than killers like Trapper.

But this is situational, of course. If the proper counterplay is used, then Freddy has very little going for him.