Does background player have a counter?

Options

As the time says, im honestly not sure if it has a counter. Ive played so many matches today where survivors have zoomed in half way across the map and then gotten either a flashy save or a pallet save. It honestly feels like there isnt anything you can do against it.

Is my assumption right or am i just bad?

Comments

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

As someone said before, if they get downed in the open or at a pallet, just slug, you will not get that hook if they have any idea how to use a flashy/time a save.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

Not really. Only thing you can do is look at a wall if you can. Or run Fire Up (lol). Flashlight timing is way too forgiving now.

• TBUK
    TBUK Member Posts: 9
    Options

You can use lightborn for mostly stress free pickups. If it's more about buzzing flies then starstruck would make it a risk for survivors to get close or fireup to the change pickup timings

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

But the problem is you don't know if they have Background Player or not. And maybe with slugging, you lost opportunity to use PR and Pop. Hooking survivors are coming with rewards, depends on your perks ofcourse.

So maybe they don't even have BP but you slugged them for no reason and you did not get value from your perks for no reason.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

If you think startstruck bothers BP users, you probably never have seen this perk in action. After save you still have 2-3 seconds of haste and could run another ~20 meters from killer. You can't have any punishment before save, you can't have after as well. This perk is stupid af and should be reverted back to 150%.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Oh no, I fully agree, its a lose-lose situation for the killer (at the very least the first time it happens). Its only counter might be downing the survivor specifically in a position where this cant happen and taking into account few killers can actually choose were survivors go down (wesker and slinger come to mind) this is a counter that applies in very niche scenarios.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,394
    Options

Yeah usually I’d die on a hill for a perk like Background Player, I’ve always thought it was super fun and was excited to see they buffed it when I came back. Yet I managed to get a pallet save the other day that should have 100% been impossible even with the perk on. I agree that 200% for 5 seconds is a little too much and should probably be reverted.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,087
    edited February 6
    Options

Any perks and add ons that give the exhaustion effect will nullified background player.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,792
    Options

the perk should be reverted tbh

it just turns those things into the easiest things in the game

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 585
    edited February 6
    Options

People underestimate the power of Infectious Fright perk. The idea of Background player is to quickly ''ambush'' the killer and deny the pick up when killer is locked in the animation, however with Infectious Fright perk the stealth aspect of this denial is gone because upon down, survivors located nearby reveal their location. Once you know where they are you can slug and proceed applying pressure ( survivors who screamed will know their presence is revealed to killer ) so odds that they will try to do risky saves will significantly drop because now Killer is prepared.

Of course it's about momentum usage. If you don't utilize the information from the perk right, then you get the stand-off and waste precious time. If you do though, you get entire team pressured with chance to get 2 or more downs if survivors are altruistic enough.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 399
    Options

Background player doesn't really have a counter at all besides facing a wall to avoid flashlights, but most people who run the perk typically always combo it with Flashbang to intentionally shut this counter down which is why I say that they severely overtuned the perk when they buffed it.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 261
    Options

Lightborn

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

Sloppy + Bloodecho

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,387
    Options

Unless its the first down of the match. Also bloodecho requires them letting you get the hook.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

True, but I hear some saying just run Lightborn and I find this combo at least more versatile.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,451
    Options

if they are under a pallet no, you should slug. if they have a flashlight they need to keep a bit closer and if they do you can get a hit or swap to chasing them instead (yes slugging again). but more often than not people die near objects or in closed areas or the rescuer will run a bit too far and you'll be able to pick without them being able to save with fl.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,073
    Options

It has no direct counter and killer perks/addons that inflict exhaustion are unreliable at preventing it.

• Hensen2100
    Hensen2100 Member Posts: 339
    Options

And what if the person underneath the pallet also has power struggle?

Complete BS combo lol. Pick them up ASAP and get background player'd, or let them get a free escape due to power struggle. Incredible.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,807
    edited February 6
    Options

People always claim behavior need to buff perks instead of nerfing them. now we got

background player- There no counter play because the survivor running background player cannot be pressure from half the map away.

Ftp/buckle- i love using it but the combo clearly broken with little little counterplay.

The last one might be a hot take!

coup de gras- The effect was always strong but the lack of tokens kept it in check. Being able to swing around half the whole loop pretty much mean there no mind gaming anything. Pre drop or get hit before u can make it back to the pallet. on m1 instant down killer (ghost/myers) this perk is damn near stupid.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,979
    Options

Kind of prefer the way flashlights were prior to the 0.4 second buffer at the end of the pickup animation. It felt more satisfying to hit flashlight saves because you had to master the timing.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Oddly enough, the best counter to Background Player is its user.

I've seen a survivor with this perk mess up a save way too many times.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Lightborn

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Lightborn.

Mindbreaker.

Walls.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,379
    Options

The best counter I could come up with is Infectious Fright to warn you. Lightborn doesn't really help against pallet saves and in that situation there isn't a lot you can do. Maybe Mindbreaker could help.

The best thing you can do is to be careful and watch out for possible Background Player saves.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,451
    Options

power struggle duos don't need bgp for it to be bs honestly. hover around for a few seconds and the slugged person is completely fine.