'Lights Out' makes me want to punch my own lights out

Options

I tried to play through ten or so survivor matches of the new 'Lights Out' Game Mode. I have to say, if nothing else, this event really makes you feel like Alan Wake in the Dark Place...

Desperate for escape. Surrounded by encroaching darkness. Void of anything but fleeting hope, snuffed out the moment I realise the killer is going to tunnel me out again. The resignation and despair that comes with the inevitability of the killer getting a free first hit and knowing that I will most likely remain injured for the rest of the game, for my teammates are as lost in the darkness as I am. Time slips through my fingers. I don't know if I can pull off the heal in time, for there is no progress bar to guide me, but I push forward. Right into the killer's hands. And in a blink, we're all hung up like animals freshly slaughtered. I dive into the next trial. I must keep writing, even if it seems futile. No perks, no terror radius, no HUD or hope of coordination, only the promise of a charm that may one day hang on my waist like my limp body, dangling helplessly off the ground. Perhaps I could go back. Change the story. Bend the rules to my liking. I could restore the killer's terror radius, or bring in flashlights to hold back the darkness for just a moment. Something needed to change, or the balance would remain upset. With a mechanical whir, the typewriter slots into place and I write the final line of my plea that goes out to those beyond the darkness. It reads, "Behaviour, please, make this mode even slightly bearable for solo queue survivors."

Comments

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,385
    Options

it's been both for me.

both for the usual reasons, exarcebated because there's no perks to hold it back/hold their hand.

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

Having no anti-tunneling perks speaks for itself. Must be a terrific experience!

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212
    Options

I'd give it a try, friend. It is pretty fun.

Especially as killer.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,787
    Options

WAIT... you can do the tome in regular matches?? I've been torturing myself all day for nothing 😭

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Yes. I also thought it would have to be in the Nights Out-Mode, but someone wrote in the Forums that it also works in regular games and thank god for that.

I probably would not have tortured myself with that mode anyway. The rewards are only Charms and Player Card-Items, I would have simply missed out on those if they would only be obtainable in the Nights Out-Mode. (Well, and Rift Fragments, but those dont really matter to me personally)

• Nazzzak
    Options

Honestly, I probably wouldn't play anymore if it weren't for tomes, free rewards etc. They're the only things that give me a kick to load the game.

• Harbinger1985
    Harbinger1985 Member Posts: 67
    Options

First few matches with Alan as Survivor was fun, I the only one left... well crawling and managed to reach a hatch. :D But just like normal game mode teammates are a roulette, you get good players or bad, who die even with good perks and guidance system.

Same for the Killer side. Though "Woo-hoo, I'm gonna slaughter tonight" yeah, in my dreams. XD Good team managed fix all the gens and get zero kills or even hooks as a Xeno, a little more luck I have with the Singularity hence the cameras. Interesting play as the Trapper. Though endgame chat I got I was tunneled. Honestly, I didn't on purposely, just saw someone in the fog and started to chase. But even this circumstances the survivors managed to free a one of them form the basement! And I put traps literal every doors and corners in the basement. XD And, they not triggered and managed to avoid them.

Actually, recently I mostly do challenges for BP and lore, and maybe for challenge. Sometimes I feel after a dozen matches I can get win or a decently fun match at either sides.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 188
    Options

You will experience the same crap you normally do on survivor but cranked up to 11. Killers are just hovering around hooksaves, so interactive and scary, so fun. Queing for this mode is super fast though, so that's a plus right? Getting right into the action of camp and tunnel at a faster rate than you already do in soloq, genius idea.

Killer role on the other hand is just... wow, I played one match of it as killer, which took forever to que for (cant imagine why), and its a joke. I dont know why you are able to see generators or hooked survivors, you should not be able to. You shouldnt be getting things like screams/killer instinct/meyers read outline/coughing... etc... otherwise you are just circumventing the whole, not seeing thing. How did the devs not think of this?

I have watched several plays with Ghost face and Meyers now and wow is it a joke. How does anyone log in and think this is fun? Its not fun on either end of this, I don't want to play with you and ... you want to just load up with basically cheat codes. Hooray, so interactive and new....

Extremely missed what I was expecting from this mode. Definitely not touching it on killer as its lame as hell, and I'd rather just que in a normal game if I want to rush myself into being camped/tunneled on survivor.

Do better BHVR.

• blackfox0408_fr_
    blackfox0408_fr_ Member Posts: 79
    Options

At least nurse is 1000x harder to play ...

I will not try playing survivor ...

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options

How in the world did you manage to make the killer find that survivor again? They have no way to track them either.

My games were hardcore camping so far, so not much better (is the AFC actually a thing in Lights Out?). I think this game mode is ridiculously bad for both sides. I tried to play it for the BP but I'd rather not play at all. This is the most boring and overall mind numbing experience I've ever had.

• RipperX
    RipperX Member Posts: 31
    Options

Best part of this mod is the "no perk" side, that's why i'm loving it

Watching survivors running clueless around because they can't use WoO is priceless

This mod should be used by the Dev to realize how much perks impact on the game, more than anything else

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

From what I have seen, the Killer just not goes far away. No Terror Radius = better option to camp.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options

Then that's more of a problem with camping though, isn't it? I have also noticed a lot of camping (kind of understandable but still horrible).

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    edited February 9
    Options

Well look at it this way, what do you expect from a game of DBD or at least what makes a great game of DBD for you?

I'm in it for the horror movie experience, which with each year is lacking more and more as I become better at the game and more desensitized as a result.

Injecting a real sense of just complete "Oh crap I'm screwed" right from game start has really jumpstarted that new player feeling I had when I first played DBD making lights out a great thing... for me and I hope many others.

If what you want from a game of DBD isn't captured by what I just described then sure I understand why you aren't enjoying lights out.

But remember this isn't about a balanced competitive PvP experience, its about being stuck in the dark in an "oh crap!" experience and its absolutely achieved that at least for those of us who want it.

I will play lot more survivor in this mode compared to the base game and I hope its eventually available on an ongoing basis.

Post edited by pseudechis on
  • GeneralV
    Options

I think Lights Out also enhances the killer experience.

It is nice to have that "oh crap!" experience that you've described, but it is even better to be the one who causes it. The killer is the danger, the monster lurking in the fog. It is a role which has to feel threatening, and I think it does feel threatening in Lights Out.

Unfortunately my main isn't available, but I've been having a lot of fun with the Knight. Spawning guards from the darkness, a survivor turns a corner and I'm suddenly there. It is perfect.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Absolutely I've had a lot of fun playing killer in lights out. What caught me a bit by surprise though is just how much more I enjoy survivor while playing it. Its the survivor experience I've always wanted but only ever get fleetingly in the base game.

Its really hard to induce a fear response in an artificial environment. I get where you are coming from there and it definitely couldn't be the base game because lets face it, it is rather one sided and won't appeal to people who want a more balanced PvP experience.

I personally relish in the imbalance I think its thematically great and I value that.

• Nazzzak
    Options

I don't use WoO (or any meta perks) and I still ran around clueless. It's actually very disorientating as a survivor in Lights Out. Killers have a point of reference (gen auras) but if I can't recognize the tile I've just run into because all I see is a wall, then it's easy to get lost.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

It's completely optional though, so I don't get why anyone would play it if they find it that bad. I personally really enjoy it even if it is far from perfect. I had stopped playing DBD and only came back for this as at least it isn't the same old stale game imo

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

I played a few matches on both sides before realizing you could get the challenges without doing that. My first Survivor game was against the Lights-Out version of Insidious Camping Bubba, so that pretty much set the tone.

It's no so much that it felt scary or hard or that I lost more than usual -- I usually lose a lot. It's more that it felt tedious. Like, I had to make a bunch of extra effort to do even basic things -- like staring at the floor to follow blood trails as Killer. At one point, I thought, "Maybe it's good to go back to fundamentals -- maybe my tracking will improve," but it wore me down fast.

I get why this mode would appeal to purists, and I even agree that it's a cleaner version of the game, in some ways, but i just had a lot more fun in regular matches.

• AWAKENTHEDEAD
    AWAKENTHEDEAD Member Posts: 2
    Options

I will say this, it definitely gives the feeling I had when I first started playing (as surv) but if you are running solo it's virtually impossible to get anything done.

It's definitely been tough but I have just framed it as I'm just trying to complete the event tome. Which I did, fairly easily. So it wasn't too bad with that in mind.

Killer was pretty easy but IDK if that's fair because I ran Wraith the entire time 😅

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

They can????

Guess i went through some unnecessary suffering tho :(

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited February 10
    Options

I played almost exclusivly killer and it was boring as hell. It did not felt like me beeing a scary monster, it felt like me beeing a cheater. Especially true on Bubba.

I did not loose a single game as killer nore where they able to finish more then 3 gens (unless i farmed with them when they got stomped at like 5 gens).

Maybe it is the killers wish to stomp survivors without much they can do, but i for myself cant get out that this scenario much. I rather prefere some challange experience instead of this slaughterhouse easy mode.

• aerie
    aerie Member Posts: 68
    edited February 10
    Options

yeah i have not escaped once as solo survivor. i am definitely inexperienced with the mode, tbf. never once have when i played, (played about 8 games) did the exit gates get powered. closest we got was a trapper on borgo and we got 4 gens done. what i find a lot of is i'm always the one with no hook tallies because i'm the one doing gens. and i find when everyone or mostly everyone is on death hook, i have to take chase, but taking chase is pretty hard without being able to hear a tr or being able to SEE the killer unless i'm practically hugging them :/ maybe i'm just missing something about this game mode but it feels very tough for solo queue. at least, for my play style. maybe i should take more chases? but it feels like i have to run into the killer and give them a free hit for them to take chase with me.

• GeneralV
    Options

Well, this is unfortunate, my friend. But it happens. Nothing in this game will ever be universally liked.

I loved the killer experience in Lights Out. It would be better if Freddy wasn't unplayable, but I am happy with what we got.

• VIEorDIETV
    VIEorDIETV Member Posts: 4
    Options

I may be the only person in here but I honestly enjoyed the Mode.

It's been a real "return to core DBD" experience and it's been satisfying to not have enemies who lean on(or heavily abuse combos of) perks.

Survivors; just make sure you're listening too and have that gameplan already. Stealth is key(as it usually is, but even moreso), and careful attention is paramount. Having map knowledge will save you too, so maybe scour the area quietly and stealthily before for a couple chained loops/pallets or windows.

Killers: just don't be dicks.

This mode has been a MUCH needed break from Perks, OP/Meta BS and in most cases SWF as well, and has been a great departure from the usual. Some cosmetics and a couple challenges + 2XP and I was honestly having a great time. Honestly was sitting here wondering if it was a test for a "comp" mode, and was kinda stoked but if they're just rotating random modifiers that'd be chill too! :)

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

As killer (Knight) 3 games, just 2 kills. He absolutely hopeless in lights out.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,193
    Options

I'd say spare yourself the headache and don't play, it's really not worth the stress. Killers are still hard-tunneling and camping as if it's just another Tuesday. My SoloQ games were so bad I hopped on as Ghostface and just meme-ed around and it was insane how many survivors were being very kind and thankful for not being hard-tunneled for once during the event like that oughts to say something.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options

I enjoy this gamemode but BHVR is gonna have to look at all this feedback and considering modifying some things if lights out comes back in the future.

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options
  • baharuto48
    baharuto48 Member Posts: 75
    Options
  • BubbaxBilly
    BubbaxBilly Member Posts: 13
    Options

I found killer to be really boring in this mode. People would just flounder around at loops or run into me. I did a couple of games as survivor with my friends and it was just like most of you said, tedious and annoying. Just a lot of extra steps to do the same stuff. Quit after getting legion 3 times in a row, feel like they defeat the whole purpose of limited vision. From what I can see a lot of people enjoy the power fantasy of either being helpless at somebodies mercy or just tearing up survivors with ease. Not my cup of tea personally.