"Tunnelling Gens" Doesn't Mean What You Think It Means

Options
2»

Comments

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

“a recently unhooked survivor being repeatedly targeted at the expense of any others until they're dead” is part of regular gameplay. It’s just the killer playing efficiently.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,701
    Options

Killers can tunnel without any perks, add-ons, or offerings. They can also camp without any perks, add-ons, or offerings.

For one survivor to rush gens, they need a green toolbox, perks to repair the gens faster, and a perk to replenish their item's charges, or increase the item's efficiency.

Genrushing is about completing the generators as quickly as possible, often to the detriment of other objectives. Genrush teams will often ignore someone on hook to smash out gens.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,133
    Options

It isn't, it's actually the killer playing very inefficiently so they can capitalise on a boost in power after they're done. Occupying only one survivor for as long as it takes to kill them (minus occupying a second briefly for each unhook) is extremely inefficient, but because it's very hard to punish, it still works out in the killer's favour.

Regular gameplay outside of this one specific tactic involves occupying multiple survivors at once, that's the default skill expression for the killer role and it's what efficient killer play looks like. Tunnelling occupies an annoying space as a distinct tactic that should be risk/reward but has very little risk, but that part isn't relevant- what's relevant is that tunnelling is a tactic rather than default gameplay or efficient gameplay, however you'd prefer to label it.

Though, just to be clear: You would say that a coordinated survivor team that brings stacked toolboxes with all the accompanying perks (Streetwise, Built to Last, Hyperfocus, Stake Out, etcetera) to complete gens as aggressively as possible, that's also 100% regular and fine, just efficient gameplay that doesn't need changes?

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

As much as we agree that "tunneling gens" is a stupid way to put it, there is some merit to the thought process. The survivors are focusing on their objective which is to escape (yes we've previously said in another post that their objective is the gens, but that's a key to their real objective so we called it such) so spreading out to try and gen rush to get the door opened is somewhat equivalent to tunneling out 1 survivor at a time.

Can elaborate later if you want but that's a short version.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,083
    Options

Remember when survivors were able to heal efficiently and there was outcry on the forums, so healing got nerfed?

Remember how forum killers are also adamant that they should be allowed to deny unhooks?

Remember how forum killers were so upset over the concept of boon perks?

The only thing that hasn't been touched is chests, which were a waste of time no matter what.

We used to have slower games, but killers weren't happy with that either, so now everything that isn't holding M1 on gens has been nerfed down and out. With survivors being left with nothing but gens, now forum killers are upset that survivors are, in fact, doing gens.

The whole problem here is that 'gens too fast' is defined purely and exclusively by the match outcome. Did the killer get fewer than three kills? 'Gens too fast'. Any time a killer loses? 'Gens too fast'. The only thing that'll make forum killers happy is if the kill rate is at roughly 87.5%, and the only way a survivor can ever escape is via the hatch.

Actually, never mind. Hatch will cop complaints as well, then.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

As killers usually tell survivors to do. If your teammate is tunneled/camped. Just do Gens. Then its a problem that survivors leave teammate on hook to do Gens.

I would say "tunneling Gen" means to focus to complete a nearly done Gen. And "Gen rushing" is survivors ignore everything to complete 5 Gens.

Survivors "tunneling Gen" because when complete, that Gen can not be regressed anymore. Tunneling a survivor just a part of the final goal (4K), but its not the main reason why killers tunnel. Its about remove almost half Gen repairing power from survivor side, and that making the work on final goal easier.

• C3Tooth
    Options

Chests are touched, given how hard items in general being nerfed.

You dont spend 30sec running around finding a chest, 10sec unlock and 24sec self healing from a Medkit. You should spend 2/3 of Gen time to sit on a Gen

• jesterkind
    Options

That first line is shockingly misleading, wow.

I don't remember when survivors were able to heal efficiently and there was outcry on the forums, no. I remember that for years self-healing was pretty overpowered, and people sort of had a sustained general irritation with that which reached a fever pitch when Circle of Healing pushed it into overdrive, is that what you're referring to? I also do not remember when healing got nerfed, but I do remember that medkits and Circle of Healing specifically were nerfed in a very specific way.

The rest of your post is kind of an exaggeration along those lines, though it's at least closer. Some people here do act like they should get to deny unhooks, and some people did complain about the concept of boons rather than just (rightfully) complaining about CoH, so I won't really call you out on those. I just wanted to correct that first part, because it's a doozy.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,191
    Options

I'm built different actually, I do the same generator 5 times in a row (I have Technician and a dream).

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,504
    Options

I mean, I definitely see this a lot.

People just refuse to give up on a gen.

• Pulsar
    Options

Because it's asymmetric, gens aren't all equal.

First gen can pop quickly while the last one takes years.

• Pulsar
    Options

If you open chests or do dulls, you are throwing the match.

Unhooking and healing is directly related to the Killer.

Tunneling is ALWAYS the optimal play. That's what we'd like to change.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

Fair but at this point we're just arguing definitions (and we see both as "focusing on gens above everything except last second saves"). All we say is that we see people's reasoning for the comparison of "tunnel survivors = tunnel gens".

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212
    Options

That first line isn't misleading, it is... partially correct.

If you go through older threads on the Forums, you'll see healing was rarely ever complained about. For a long time Self-Care was a healthy perk and part of the meta: it didn't give you an insane speed but it did allow you to heal yourself. That only changed around Spirit's release, when the healing action going from 12 charges to 16 absolutely murdered the perk. After that you had to have a Med-Kit to heal yourself, which were absolutely fine by themselves.

Inner Strength isn't even worth mentioning, as there aren't complaints about that perk. No one had a problem with healing until it was allowed to reach extreme levels with the original iterations of COH, which seems to have been a perk created with Hexes in mind: a powerful effect which can be removed from the trial. But Boons cannot be permanently destroyed, so that perk was unquestionably overpowered and it had to be changed.

The Med-Kit nerf that followed was too much, I don't think it should have happened.

• jesterkind
    Options

People definitely had problems with medkits prior to Circle of Healing, but that's why I refer to it as a sort of background irritation. Everyone generally knew medkits were busted, it's why killer players would brace whenever they saw a lobby with four medkits, but things only reached a fever pitch where the complaints were frequent after CoH exacerbated the issue.

The line I'm responding to is also still extremely misleading. Survivors couldn't just "heal efficiently", self-healing was too strong for years and got absurdly busted around CoH, and "healing got nerfed" is just flat out wrong. Healing didn't get nerfed, CoH and medkits got nerfed- and even those got better at altruism.

I will admit, my statement is more geared towards recent changes, specifically the 6.7.0 changes that nerfed Circle and medkits.

However, actually look at that list. Is that list "healing", or is it self healing? Most of it is self healing, and half of it is also indirect? Like, yeah, Sloppy/Haemorrhage (which you list twice for some reason) did make Resurgence, Reactive Healing, and also Solidarity weaker, but it would be an extreme stretch to say that's a nerf to healing. Similarly, Pharmacy wasn't ever a direct healing perk and only got super killed once the medkit you got from it was nerfed to not be OP anymore.

Hell, there's a BUFF on this list! Botany Knowledge is very strong right now, not being able to specifically use a medkit from a chest to heal yourself does not count as a nerf. Circle of Healing was also flat buffed if you play with comms, but I'll acknowledge is harder to use in solo queue.

So... yeah, healing hasn't been nerfed. Self healing was nerfed in a few ways, and all the direct nerfs were justified (indirect stuff like Resurgence and Solidarity less so). This doesn't prove the line I'm responding to here, if anything it further disproves it.

• Firellius
    edited February 13
    Options

I remember that for years self-healing was pretty overpowered

But the second it's gone, killers are having more trouble than ever with keeping pace, somehow. Could it not be the case that people frantically self-caring in the corner instead of staying injured on a gen, ultimately ends up awarding the killer more time?

Circle of Healing, in my opinion, is likely fairly emblematic of this problem. By itself, in most cases, the final state of CoH before it was effectively removed was tremendously inefficient, barring the self-heal speed. Lots of forum killers also posited that a problem with CoH was that it worked best when placed far from the action, unlike the other boons.

But the further CoH gets placed from the action, the worse its efficiency becomes. And the set-up time involved in the boon would demand at least two successful heals to break even, provided there is no travel time involved at all.

CoH was regarded as a problem for hit-and-run playstyles, but there was plenty of comments from the community saying they were seeing CoH produce net negatives for the survivors in terms of time efficiency.

But it had to be removed. So now no one is going to bother dumping 16+ seconds on a totem just to get Botany, instead opting to sink that time into gens.

These issues that are now being complained about, of survivor efficiency, are absolutely in part due to killer complaints.

• jesterkind
    Options

Regardless of whether I agree with any of this, you'll acknowledge that this isn't a defence of your original statement, right? Your original statement is still wrong. Self healing was absurdly powerful in the final stages of Circle because it worked with the already very powerful medkits, so it wasn't just "efficient". Then you said that "healing got nerfed", which is flat out wrong, that just didn't happen.

Having laid that out, I don't mind moving on to this new stuff.

So, obviously Circle hasn't "been effectively removed", setting down a boon to get a zone of We'll Make It is still pretty powerful. It was removed as an avenue for self healing, sure, but the perk is still absolutely worth running. Beyond that, even if we were to agree that killers are struggling because survivors just aren't healing... that doesn't mean it was okay before, when injuries just flat out didn't matter.

I do think there's a degree to which complaints about current survivor efficiency aren't valid, but that comes from the fact that survivor efficiency is something killer players are meant to dismantle with smart play and spread pressure, not that the state of things is actually bad for killers because they dared to complain about ridiculous self healing speed.

• C3Tooth
    Options

I think 32sec Self-Care was fine, because it take the same "Gen time" for a teammate to heal (16sec x 2). For me its only murdered after 6.1.0 ; A nerf ontop of the base nerf.

Medkit change should only the charges, the speed should stay 16sec. BUT items survivors bring into the match should spawn an extra chest instead.

• Kaitsja
    Options

There's just no reason to cleanse dull totems, and there's no reason to open chests when you can bring items into the trial.

The same can't be said for killer, however, since it is far more beneficial and effective to not tunnel. The only thing that makes tunneling effective is that it provides permanent slowdown. Aside from that, it really is an inefficient playstyle.

• Firellius
    Options

Regardless of whether I agree with any of this, you'll acknowledge that this isn't a defence of your original statement, right? Your original statement is still wrong. Self healing was absurdly powerful in the final stages of Circle because it worked with the already very powerful medkits, so it wasn't just "efficient". Then you said that "healing got nerfed", which is flat out wrong, that just didn't happen.

A misnomer then. 'Healing' as in, 'trying to stay healed up'. That did get nerfed.

So, obviously Circle hasn't "been effectively removed"

It's well outside the meta now and largely unfeasible for solo play. Maybe some swiffers will still use it, but they're probably going to resort to more effective options.

that doesn't mean it was okay before, when injuries just flat out didn't matter.

Point is that they did matter. Because all that time spent on self-caring was -not- spent on gens. Which goes back to @I_Tunnel 's point: people used to heal a lot, and now they're much more likely to stay injured. Likely because, especially in solo queue, healing (As in the effort to stay healthy) did cop a hefty nerf.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212
    Options

I don't think so. Going through old threads on the Forums (which is the easiest platform to do it) you'll rarely come across complaints about Med-Kits or self-healing in general.

Killers didn't brace themselves because of four Med-Kits in a lobby, and I can speak definitely from experience on this one. Med-Kits were perfectly fine until COH was released. That perk didn't exacerbate the issue, it created the issue. Because suddenly, everyone could heal themselves at extreme levels of speed, and you as killer had no way to fight that. Even if you snuff the Boon, someone will bless another totem and there goes your pressure.

I disagree with the notion that survivors could just "heal efficiently" with COH, because that perk was way too powerful. But self-healing definitely wasn't overpowered before that.

I agree that 32 sec Self-Care definitely wasn't useless, but it was vastly inferior to its previous version, before the healing changes around Spirit's release.

And what happened in 6.1.0 was really unnecessary (just like the patch itself). There was really no reason to nerf that perk.

• jesterkind
    Options

In order:

• Sure, I'll accept that amendment, that's fair. Trying to stay healed up did get nerfed, and you have to rely on your teammates a little more than before if you don't want to invest time or resources into a self heal. I object to this being framed as a healing nerf in general, but it is strictly true that self-healing being nerfed makes staying healed up harder. I'll state for the record that self-healing is still extremely viable, though.
    • Outside of the meta is not at all the same thing as being effectively removed, but I'll partially agree with that rundown. Hard but not impossible for solo queue to use, very good for SWF. I only say partially because honestly... what is more effective? Botany has a lower number and We'll Make It is on a timer, and both only work for the survivor that brings it. Those are side grades at best, and they're the other best tools available.
    • When survivors can self-heal every injury in eight to ten seconds, no, injuries do not matter. Framing it as "self-caring" is also extremely misleading because Self Care is not what was used. Medkits and Circle were used, and they were substantially stronger. Survivors staying injured is also not bad for the killer, but that's tangential to the overall point.
  • jesterkind
    Options

1: When I say "default skill expression", I'm mostly talking about the most by-the-books, straightforward game of Dead By Daylight possible. Nothing fancy, no particular tricks or shortcuts, just good straightforward killer play and good straightforward survivor play. Considering how overwhelmingly important macro gameplay is to killer, I think it's fair to say the default expectation is to occupy multiple survivors at once.

2: Correct! I don't disagree with that. However, the act of tunnelling is extremely inefficient. The end result working so much in your favour makes it an optimal strategy because there's very little to punish you for being so inefficient with your pressure while you're trying to get that survivor out. If anti-tunnel were stronger, for example, it would no longer be optimal because the inefficiency of it would be punishable.

3: Considering the point of tunnelling is to circumvent multiple avenues of skill expression (not needing to manage a fourth survivor once it's done, not needing to find a survivor to chase, starting the chase with the survivor already injured, starting the chase with the survivor out of position, and so on), how could it possibly be balanced if it wasn't risky? Obviously it's my opinion, but I think it has very solid backing.

4: I disagree with this, because if that's how we define genrushing, it's kind of a pointless term. If a survivor literally just playing the game with no active decisionmaking beyond starting to repair a generator is considered genrushing, how is that meaningfully the same as when the team brings the best possible tools to repair all of the gens as quickly as possible? Shouldn't we have a term that distinguishes between barebones survivor gameplay and an actual tactic being consciously used?

5: Wouldn't you also say that the most egregious form of tunnelling is also an issue, then? When someone is chased immediately after unhook with no breathing room at all, twice in a row to ensure they're sacrificed ASAP, is that not equivalent to when the most extreme version of genrushing is employed? And if so, see again, why shouldn't the terms just refer to the problem and not, as you're suggesting, the whole game and also the problem? If not, why not?

• Kaitsja
    Options

As someone who regularly played as part of a duo, I see little to no point in CoH. My build is WoO, We'll Make It, Off The Record, and Second Wind. My duo partner usually runs Self-Care, Botany Knowledge, Lithe, and Off The Record.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

1) Your definition of "default skill expression" is still something you made up. There is zero default expectations from killers, except for "don't break any rules".

2) The act of tunneling is efficient because it leads to an efficient result. It actually creates more pressure to tunnel survivors, because it gives a sense of urgency earlier. If survivors know a killer is going to just rotate hooks among the survivors, there's zero urgency for a large part of the game, because the survivors know that none of them are actually in any danger for a long time.

3) No one is circumventing avenues of skill expression, because that's still not a real thing. If you really care about skill expression, you should complain about SWFs, and how voice comms circumvent avenues of skill expression.

4 and 5) Gen rushing is a pointless term, just like how tunneling is a pointless term. That's the entire point of the comparison. And no, we shouldn't have a special term for hyper specific survivor scenarios, because we don't have a special term for hyper specific killer scenarios. Many people are fine with tunneling applying, all the way, from casual (or incidental) tunneling, to hardcore hyper specific tunneling. There's zero difference in the terms used for killers. Likewise, Gen rushing should also be a pointless term that covers all the way from casual (or incidental) tunneling, to hardcore hyper specific tunneling.

• jesterkind
    Options

1: Correct. Are you going to argue that I was wrong to do this? When we're talking about base gameplay problems - and to pick one that has since been mostly fixed, let's say we're talking about facecamping with Bubba in the basement - we would be very well served by having some way of conceptualising a "normal" match of DBD played mostly as intended so we can contrast it against the problem. In other words, we know what we want the player not to do - Basement Bubba - so what is that we do want the player to do? What is a "standard" match of DBD that doesn't contain this problematic behaviour?

Do you contest that concept, or my suggestion for what that normal match should look like?

2: This is wrong, you haven't actually countered anything I said. You are being inefficient by leaving two to three survivors to do generators as they please, but the payoff is that you get more efficient afterwards. The actual act of attempting tunnelling is inefficient. To counter that second part, if survivors feel no urgency to save, they are in deep trouble if you start snowballing before they feel inclined to go rescue.

3: I laid out the avenues of skill expression being circumvented, and bringing up SWF is whataboutism. Do you have anything more concrete on this point? I'm not against a discussion, there's just nothing to say here.

4: You've agreed that survivors bringing stacked toolboxes with complimentary perks to do generators as quickly as possible is a problem, so why is it not appropriate to have language to describe that problem? You're also veering into whataboutism again by talking about how other people apply the terms. I could just as easily point out those on the other side claiming "genrushing" is just when survivors do generators at all, but that wouldn't be helpful or constructive. If the problems exist - and you've agreed they do on at least one side of the game - why shouldn't there be language used to refer to them? Isn't denying those terms just making the problem arbitrarily harder to talk about?

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

1) No. We can't agree on a "normal" match of DBD, because the game doesn't have an intended way of playing, beyond the "don't break the rules" thing. Why are all your rules anti-killer? Where is your list of problematic survivor behavior that should be fixed? Where is your list of things that survivors should do, for the sake of the killer side, that actively hurts the survivor side?

2) Tunneling is efficient because the end result is efficiency. And the act of tunneling is efficient, because the end goal is efficiency. It doesn't matter if tunneling isn't pressuring multiple survivors, because that's not the sole criteria of efficiency. Tunneling is long-term efficiency, which is the only thing that matters. The end game screen is the only thing that matters.

3) The concrete point is you're giving a double standard, where killers should be forced to follow this made up "skill expression" thing, but survivors don't ever need to worry about "skill expression". Where is you list of "skill expression" things that survivors should be following? Why are all your problems framed as 100% killer problems, that are 100% the responsibility of the killer to fix?

4) It's not constructive to have the killer definition of tunneling encompass the full range of tunneling, from casual/incidental tunneling, to hyper specific extreme tunneling... but then have the survivor definition of tunneling only be the very hyper specific extreme tunneling. Pick one: 1) survivor AND killer tunneling only involves hyper specific extreme scenarios, or 2) survivor AND killer tunneling encompasses a wide variety of tunneling scenarios.

• jesterkind
    Options

1: What rules? That's not a rhetorical question. What rules are you referring to? I've mentioned what I think would be relevant to a standard, down-the-middle game of DBD for killer, sure, but those aren't rules. It's just the established norm that you can deviate from with specific tactics.

Oh, I should probably clarify this here, there's not really a better place for it: I don't expect players to change anything about their behaviour when it comes to problematic elements of the game. I expect the devs to make changes accordingly - like, for instance, ultra-fast self healing for the survivor side. I didn't expect survivor players not to use those busted tools, I expected the devs to change them, which is what ended up happening. Same for things on the killer side; I wouldn't have expected any Bubba player not to facecamp in the basement, I expected the devs to do something about it.

2: If efficiency is measured by anything, it is how much progress you're making towards your objective, right? The most progress you can achieve with minimal risk and minimal waste, that's efficiency in this game. Since tunnelling involves flat out ignoring three quarters of your objective, it is by its nature inefficient... until one survivor is dead, because then when you go chase + hook someone else, you can drag a larger percentage of the team off generators - 100% instead of 75%. You trade short term inefficiency for long term efficiency, that's tunnelling. That's why people do it, I'm not coming up with some off-the-wall alternate explanation here.

3: There is no force here. You'll note that I've not even implied I think tunnelling should be made impossible, I've only said I think it should have risk. When I talk about taking a shortcut on skill expression, that in itself is a value neutral statement. You don't have to do things the most skilful and difficult way every time, I advocate taking shortcuts in other areas; for example, information perks instead of tracking everyone through pure game sense and basekit tracking.

So, tunnelling obviously bypasses some skill expression. Obviously. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just what it is. I also think it's strong enough that it deserves balancing, but that's a separate statement.

4: Is this your position, then? Because it's a different one to what you were saying a moment ago. But sure, here goes: Tunnelling is when a survivor is chased immediately after they are unhooked, typically but not exclusively repeated to make sure they die ASAP. That's tunnelling. Genrushing is when survivors bring stacked toolboxes and accompanying perk builds (or whatever the strongest tools would be, if those current options ever get nerfed) to get the gens done ASAP. That's genrushing.

Gen tunnelling would be a different thing if it existed (which is the entire point of this thread), as would "killrushing" (I guess would be the term) if it existed, but this definition of tunnelling and genrushing encompasses only the most extreme examples on both sides. You might notice this is also the definition for both I've been using this whole time, lol.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited February 14
    Options

2) No. Efficiency is measured by how much it helps win games. The end game screen is the only thing that matters, and a win is a win. If I win a game, I don't care how I got there, as long as it's within the game rules.

1 and 3) You're still having a double standard, where killers are expected to make poor game decisions, in the name of skill expression, but survivors have absolute zero expectations for making any poor game decisions, in the name of skill expression.

4) No. My position has always been that tunneling and gen rushing are both meaningless terms. And the whole reason the terms "gen rushing" and "gen tunneling" were created, was to show how meaningless the definition of killer tunneling is.

• jesterkind
    Options

Okay I'm gonna tackle these in the order you posted them, not by the associated number, just so you don't get confused by my answers here.

1: We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one, from my perspective it's pretty clear you can win while playing inefficiently. It doesn't become efficient just because you got the desired result, that's not what efficiency means. You don't actually have to care about playing efficiently, it's totally okay to just care about the end screen and not how efficiently you got there.

2: Nope, no double standard. I am expecting nothing of either side, as I've said. I'm honestly not sure where you're getting this from at this point, I've already point blank told you that's not what I expect. I acknowledge that skill expression exists, but can be circumvented, and that's... somehow a double standard where I expect killers to "make poor game decisions in the name of skill expression" (??? it's better game decisions if it's skill expression, my friend, this is a very strange thing to say), even though I say I straight up advocate taking shortcuts instead of doing the most difficult thing all the time?

This is the exact opposite of what I'm saying, at this point I genuinely don't know how to read this in good faith.

3: Alright, so now we're back to: When there is a clear problem, why is a bad thing to have a term that describes it? Forget how others use it, people misuse words all the time. IF the term "genrushing" describes ONLY the most extreme example, as I've said is my definition multiple times, is that not a term with both meaning and a reason to exist? Similarly, IF the definition of "tunnelling" describes ONLY the extreme example I laid out in my previous post, what's the issue with using it?

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

" it's better game decisions if it's skill expression"

Just no, Really.... no. The point of the game is to win. The point of the game isn't to "show skill expression", especially when only one side of the game is ever expected to do this.

Seriously, where is the list of "skill expressions" that survivors are supposed to show?

• jesterkind
    Options

I think you're really very confused on what skill expression means. If it's a show of better skill, it is inherently better at winning the game, because that's the only kind of skill being measured here.

The only real exception to this that exists is tunnelling, because it requires less skill than spreading pressure but is exponentially harder to counter than it is to perform. For every other relevant avenue of skill expression in the game, doing it well increases your chances of winning, no matter which role you're playing. If it doesn't, it's an irrelevant skill to this conversation, obviously.

As for the list of skill expression that survivors are supposed to show, why would I need that? I don't have a list of skill expressions that I expect killers to show, so why would I need one for survivors? That's not a rhetorical question, I am asking you because I do want an answer.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,927
    Options

there is difference between reckless tunneling and smart-tunneling. Reckless tunneling makes both sides lose the game in many cases as the player is recklessly pursue a narrow objective without consider alternative options.

tunneling gens in my opinion is when survivor stays on the generator and purposely gives killers free downs in pursue to finish the generator in killer face. this is often used by survivor that are not on death hook in order to rush the objective.

killer criticize the gameplay because they're often criticized for "tunneling" survivors and playing efficiency when survivor is throwing themselves to rush the objective to give meaningless hooks. this has further stereotype of all 4 survivors using Adrenaline.

There is nothing worse m1 killer where 3 survivor are on a gen, you walk to the gen in attempt to use pop goes weasel, all 3 survivor sit on gen in your face. you grab one, you hit another, they stay on gen, you hit another in dying state, they finish gen in your face, adrenaline pops, all survivor are healed, you hook a survivor, they heal up teammate, rush hook, bodyblock you, unhook, run to exit gate T-bagging.

that is why i think the tunnelling gens and tunnel survivors comes from. it is suppose represent brute force killer objectives vs brute force survivor gameplay.

• jesterkind
    Options

Regarding what you think tunnelling gens is - sure, but that's not what killer tunnelling looks like. Tunnelling for the killer is when you hard focus one of your four objectives. As I've laid out elsewhere in the thread, it's also playing very inefficiently so that you can put yourself in an advantageous spot after you've finished doing it, which is only as strong as it is because that inefficiency is very difficult to punish.

So, in order for survivors to "tunnel" generators, they would need to hard focus one of their seven objectives and play very inefficiently in the short term to gain an advantage later on. As you might be able to tell, that's not reeeeaaally a thing? It's somewhat doable, but if any survivors did it, it'd work out pretty well for the killer compared to the alternatives.

I can sorta-kinda get behind the framing of "brute force" gameplay, I think that's a little more on the money... but brute force gameplay for survivors would still just be genrushing, IE, bringing the fastest tools and being extremely aggressive in completing all the gens. As I've also laid out, the equivalent to that on the killer side isn't tunnelling - it doesn't even really exist. You could maybe say that bringing the best tools and being extremely aggressive in completing all your objectives was possible in a way that's comparable to genrushing back when, say, Nurse could equip Exposed and speedrun a victory, but even that wasn't as reliable as genrushing and isn't even possible anymore.

I think one of the big reasons for this comparison gaining traction is that a lot of people seem to honestly think that tunnelling is "just doing your objective very efficiently", when the entire point of tunnelling is that it's not even efficient to begin with at all, it's a shortcut trading on short-term inefficiency to gain strength later. IF tunnelling were just being very efficient, there'd be a direct comparison to survivors being very efficient, at least as far as survivor and killer gameplay can be compared directly. Since it's not, though, that comparison doesn't hold any water.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,927
    Options

giving killer a free down in front of the gen for your teammate to complete the gen is short-term failure for long term success.

Tunnelling for the killer is when you hard focus one of your four objectives. As I've laid out elsewhere in the thread, it's also playing very inefficiently so that you can put yourself in an advantageous spot after you've finished doing it, which is only as strong as it is because that inefficiency is very difficult to punish.

this varies. As i said, desperation tunneling is often the easiest tunneling to punish for survivor. most of the time, killer setup situations where they lose very little for tunneling a survivor out of the game. A killer does not necessarily need to be in a bad spot after completing a successful tunnel. This is also true for survivor. survivor tunneling a gen might not neccassary be in a bad spot even though they gave a free hook to the killer. This is because hook-states are resource that only punishes the survivor after their 3rd hook. This in mirror to killer where generator is also a resource where survivor gets nothing for completing gen 5, gen 4, gen 3 and gen 2. they only get rewarded after finishing all 5 gens and opening exit gate.

• deifi
    deifi Member Posts: 50
    edited February 15
    Options

The definition of tunneling in the majority of the community is by definition the killer focusing on 1-specific player survivor out of the game.

The argument that "killers" need this strategy to go well in their favor early game is fair. However, killers ALWAYS discount that as more generators are completed, there are less generators to defend, resulting in less ground to cover. Regardless of the counter argument of "well survivors can cross-pattern generators maximizing distance", you are correct, but again - the killer still has to only move to 3 different locations to defend 7 or 6 or 5 or 4 gens. Defending 3 will always be easier than more, simple math.

Summarizing, that killers can always make a "Comeback" when there's less generators left to complete on the map. I've had killer games where we had 0 hooks, and had 1 gen left, and I went 3K or 4K, i see it all the time. I say this because SURVIVORS DO NOT HAVE THAT CONVENIENCE.

If you run into a survivor team "gen rushing", there's no such thing. What the $#@# else is a survivor going to do, walk around and admire your skin? The alternative, is I work on a different generator... or maybe i try to helpout a teammate in chase or maybe I decide I'll spread my gen progress of 60 seconds on 1 generator and another 60 seconds on another generator. At the end of the day, I've still spent 120 seconds fixing cumulative 2 generators whether its 90 / 30 or 60 / 60.

At least the killer has the option to go chase / kill someone else.

Yes, the killer is the literal driving force of whether or not survivors have fun. You can't play a game of Tag, without someone being "IT".

If as a killer, what motivates you is the giggles/joy you get from tunneling and ruining a single survivors experience because you tunneled them knowing good and well how they'll feel about it, then i recommend you take a long look in the mirror and reassess yourself as a person.

Counter argument is, yes you can tunnel to remove an entire person to achieve victory and has always been the foundation of every competitive killer to make a comeback, Behavior needs to fix this.

• Firellius
    Options

Just wanted to chime in on point no. 3: Tunnelling circumvents macro skill, while Swiffer comms don't circumvent any skill expression, just a void of information.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Those who find tunneling generators inappropriate should swallow the following words:

Survivors can chase a generator for 90 seconds and then kill it with one hook stage.

• xltechno
    Options

By the way, the management says that this game is not 4vs1, but a game that repeats 1on1 four times. In that case, there is no problem in focusing on one of the 1on1s.

• Firellius
    Options

Why can the killer regress the survivor objective, but the survivor can't regress the killer objective?

• xltechno
    Options

Injury, down, and hook progress for survivors can be converted into repair progress for generators.

4 survivors kill 5 generators, which takes 90 seconds, and a killer gets 3 levels of hook progression and executes 1 survivor, and does this 4 times.

You can recover from injuries or down perms, so hook progress is compensation for the time it takes to hang on the hook.

Hook progress cannot be reduced, just as a generator cannot be requested to be repaired again after it has been repaired.

• Firellius
    Options

So the killer gets 12 checkpoints versus the survivors' 5? That's incredibly unfair odds, don't you think?

• xltechno
    Options

I do not think so. I mention this as a matter of course, but since the two do not have the same content in the first place, it is necessary to consider whether they are even in practice.

Survivors will deal slip damage to the killer's party, and those who cannot heal in time will die.

The killer controls the survivors by solving puzzles, and if you solve them three times, you will clear one, but there is a possibility that you will be forced to go back to the steps before you solve the puzzle once.

What matters is how feasible it is.

• Firellius
    Options

I do not think so. I mention this as a matter of course, but since the two do not have the same content in the first place, it is necessary to consider whether they are even in practice.

Perhaps, then, it's a dumb thing to say that survivors 'chase a gen for 90 seconds and then kill it in one hookstate'.

Or indeed, to call doing a gen 'Gen tunnelling'.