We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

What will happen to Skull Merchant? Your thoughts?

She has 70% kill-rate. And dcs are not even included, probably she is even higher with them.

It's obvious, survivors are refusing to play against her. I doubt she is that strong, it's just survivors don't want to play against her.

And this brings us to this question: Do you think BHVR is fine with her and just gonna ignore that or she will get another big update? What do you think?

Comments

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

Honestly i don't know. I never saw that much hate against any killer. Legion got similar issue, everyone were dc'ing against him. But after his problem solved, this ended.

Even Nurse is not getting that much dc/self sacrifice.

I just don't know what can fix her reputation. Full rework? Maybe. Billy'ing her and leaving her to die? I don't support that but i know a lot people wants that.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,748

Those stats seem to be mostly from before her rework? She can still 3-gen really well now but isn’t as grueling to face as before the changes.

• adam1233467
    adam1233467 Member Posts: 994

You talk like she is to easy to counter and you are forgetting that she has no skill to play comparing what the survivors need to do to counter her, she just puts the drone on loop and you are forced to leave it, you can crouch when the beam is ready to hit you but you are only making the skull merchant to come closer and eventually hit you, so you are on a lose and lose scenario

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
  • WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 425

Artist and Knight are also mind-numbing to play against and are also bad design.

The issue is that they didn't put in any effort when they reworked her. Actually trying to fix her kit would be a start.

Her gameplay needs to be scrapped and redone completely if they aren't going to put in effort to make it not suck.

• WolfyWood

She went from a killer that mindlessly holds W until she stat-checks you with anti-loop to a killer that mindlessly holds W until she stat-checks you.

The drones are the problem, they remove interaction from every loop because there's no meaningful cool down or skill required to use them. Especially considering the three tics never go away until you trigger the nine status effects you receive from getting hit by three.

BHVR does not have the creativity to salvage the drones or their zoning playstyle. So they should be scrapped entirely and made different.

Zoning playstyles are also the most boring because it's binary, that's why zoning killers are the worst design in the game.

The Knight feels slightly better to play against because he can only have one guard up at a time and the banner exists but Artist just mindlessly spams at every loop until she gets a free hit.

We need less killers like that, not more.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

If BHVR did not change their data-system, they never included dcs in kill-rates. So let's say, 2 survivors dc'ed and bots replaced them. Killing them will not be in kill-rates.

Also source:

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,814

I wonder if the other survivors in the game still count towards it. So if I DC I won’t count towards the kill rates, but when my teammates inevitably die will they still count?

It would explain Skull Merchant’s 70% but also make the stat kind of pointless because as soon as someone DCs it’s pretty much over for the others.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,952

my guess is they're going to remove hindered and haste but keep broken and stealth.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

Yeah hook suicides are the biggest reason of her kill-rate. Even if other 3 survivors want to play, at this point game is over. There is no team can win game 3 v 1 at 5 gens.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

For me, few changes will make her fine.

First, she should not get haste. That's so stupid, especially while she can also build bloodlust.

Second, there should be way to remove stacks if SM is not chasing you. There was idea to hacking drones will remove one stack, that's not bad idea actually.

I think i will be fine with her after few changes like that. Even she is another leave the loop killer.

• canonjack001
    canonjack001 Applicant Posts: 67

If SM need a nerf then Nurse need a buff according to the stat.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 16

I actually hope they don‘t rework her again. I really hate her, but there are bigger problems and she isn‘t even played that much. They shouldn‘t commit recources into another rework.

In the end she will always be hated, even when they do a good rework. It‘s the character that’s hated.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    edited February 16

Clown is not forcing you leave to loop, he forces you to drop the pallet. And Clown still need to break pallet, SM does not. If you stay at loop, you will lose health state.

Simply Clown can't zone you, the only thing he can do is forcing you to drop pallet.

And Artist is also similar, she can zone you but she can't make survivor hindered or Artist won't get haste while forcing survivor leave the loop.

SM has both strategies in one kit.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,099

Nothing based on this data, since the period covered is only one month's worth and changing functionality over such a short period is short-sighted.

If there are to be changes, it will be because this has been the case for several months, not just one.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,566
    edited February 16

I'm not sure I agree with this, the two killers have the same outcome if you stay in the loop: you get slowed down, and they get sped up.

This is especially true if you're already injured, because at that point the drone only gives Merchant a small Haste boost, and you a moderate Hindered penalty (eventually). It's still probably a good idea to leave the loop, but if you can loop Clown (which you can), you can loop Merchant long enough to drop the pallet/hit the window and leave even once you're claw trapped.

Clown and Artist also do what they do immediately. Clown slows you straight away, and you know that, so you act accordingly. Artist forces you to leave the loop immediately because otherwise you'll get swarmed and risk an injury. Knight, too, forces you to leave immediately because being put into the... Hunt? is that what his mechanic is called? Whatever, being chased by guards is almost immediate and has a much more potent risk than Artist, those things can even down you. The threat is there straight away for all these killers.

Merchant, on the other hand, has to wait. Wait for the drone to fly up into position, wait for it to activate into recon mode, wait for the survivor to trip it and activate it, wait for the looping beams to actually scan them... and that's just to get the Haste, she has to wait even longer for the injury, then wait again for any Hindered. While it's still a good idea to leave the loop, you don't have to straight away, you have time to position yourself right and maybe use the pallet.

I do sympathise with the whole "drop thing at loop, force survivor to run away" thing being boring, and SM can do it, but she's also the least objectionable version of it because of how delayed the threat actually is. It's also her only flaw right now and removing the Haste from her kit won't really fix it, that'll just screw over any Merchant trying to play her more skilfully.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,238

The Haste part isn't typically an issue unless you have people who aren't being chased getting tagged. If it's JUST the person in chase, it's 3% for afew seconds.

As for providing ways to remove stacks, I feel like that would be healthy for both sides. Would provide a side objective to slow the game abit while also providing counterplay in avoiding INSTANTLY being broken once chase starts.

Currently there's not much reason to disable drones since they auto-repair, but also since they don't hamper non-moving targets. The only GOOD time to disable really is when you know the killer is about to chase someone to that area. This change idea would provide a decent reason to bother with disabling drones.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,445

What I hope will happen: Skull Merchant gets a rework. From the ground up. Everything. Her name (it has nothing to do with her power and appearance whatsoever), her visual design (let's face it, she doesn't look menacing in the slightest and her mask is the least stealthy thing imaginable), her sound design (her chase music is terrible), her animations (no, women do not walk like that), her lore (such a convoluted mess) and her power all are awful. Stationary drones will never be a good design.

What I actually think will happen: Nothing. They reworked her twice already and she wasn't mentioned as a killer that would receive changes in the near future. Also, they already have a lot on their plate and I doubt they have any idea what to do with her at this point. She is simply a failure. Maybe she will receive some number changes and end up like Freddy.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,784

Idk, you stay at the wrong loop and get hindered/intoxicated your probably getting shanked. Meanwhile artist can actually hinder survivors with a add on.

For the topic, probably not much will happen until people explode more about her (which would be something to see) since it's widely known that many people purposely throw against her, skewing data. If we had to guess BHVR is probably on the fence about her because while they probably want a "drone" killer, they also probably want their players to have fun, so the most likely thing is a rework like Freddy. But we're just guessing soooo.

For what it's worth, since the anti-3 gen system came out we're relatively fine with her, but teammates are another matter.

• WolfyWood

Artist and Clown are also poorly designed. And ideally all three should be changed.

It is true that SM is singled out due to bias. But it's better to prioritize fixing the crappy thing people are complaining about than the crappy things that people aren't complaining about.

• jesterkind

Artist is one of the best designed killers in the game, except for her ability to force survivors away from loops repeatedly. It's not even that hard to fix for her, I just don't know how you'd buff her to counteract the nerf since I don't play her as much. Clown's... fine, but the visual sway from his power is kinda problematic. In terms of what his power does in raw effect, it's simple but reasonably effective and has clear counterplay, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Skull Merchant is singled out due to bias AND the only thing you could reasonably call a problem (which isn't always what gets complained about) isn't that big of a deal. Both sides of that are important.

• WolfyWood

Well I feel like you're approaching it from the perspective of objectivity being greater than community perception. But you have to realize that her reputation is so bad due to her terrible release state, nothing short of changing her drones entirely or removing them will change it.

Nobody is willing to give her drones another chance, even if in actuality it's not so bad, every difficulty or negative associated with the killer will be amplified due to the bias against her.

That's why she needs to be reworked. There will always be a killer that is overhated. But one with stats such as SM warrants placating the masses. Even if people more educated on balance don't agree. I personally don't find her to be too horrible. But I dislike anti-loop zoning killers and I hate her visual design so I wouldn't be against a bigger rework.

Artist and Clown just need to lose their ability to spam in favor of getting stronger hits when they do land. Something like Clown getting basekit sloppy when he lands the M1 in a slow bottle at the cost of having less bottles to throw over and over would be a start.

I'm far from a game dev, but I dislike the spammy nature of most zoning killers in this game.

• LordGlint

Overall, I agree with you... except for the bloodlust part. It's fairly easy to cover a decent chunk of the map in drones and then just mostly ignore them. Unlike Clown that is constantly resetting BL to apply hindred/haste, SM only has to make adjustments here and there. This means that while Clown isn't going to be able to have haste/hindred trigger at the same time as BL, it can happen pretty easily with SM.

Coming from someone who actually PLAYS this killer, tweeking BL on her wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. BL is meant to break godloops in situations where they would otherwise be uncounterable, not become a tool to cheese loops where you are insistant on not breaking a pallet. In that regard, if they made BL reset if the drone scans a survivor... I feel like that would be healthy. Potential godloops would still be countered by the power which removes the need for BL to do that.

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 376

Learning how to vs in games is too hard. Thinking too much hurt brain. That's why solo q is the way it is.

• jesterkind

My problem with that is, where's the line?

A lot of killers have general negative receptions depending on where you look. If we demonstrate that killers can just be removed from the game if people are whiny enough, won't that same thing be repeated for the next ones on the list that ""people"" (read: a vocal percentage it's hard to quantify) don't like?

Even if BHVR don't listen to them, it'll irrevocably harm the state of discourse and conversation in the community.

What I think is more reasonable is to make small changes that actually matter for how her kit works, and just wait. Starve the outrage fire of oxygen and it should eventually die down, even if the whiny babies make things annoying in the meantime.

(Also, Artist just needs to have static birds not swarm people and her problematic nature disappears.)

• jesterkind

This is a fair point, and I wouldn't mind that change either. I was more trying to highlight that the spammy, force-them-to-leave-loop playstyle is incompatible with Bloodlust, but you do raise a good point about other issues.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,408

DC's might not be included, but most of the time its a hookicide after running right to her from my experience. Too many people still resent her and refuse to go against her.

Imo, she is very skewed by this. I honestly wish they would cease updating her and just use the resources on ANYTHING else. But we'll see.

• WolfyWood

Sorry for quick replies. Really bored at work.

But I would say the line is drawn in the stats. People Also really hate Wesker and Nurse but neither have egregious kill rates to my knowledge and neither have gotten significant nerfs or reworks.

For SM to get several reworks, be very vocally disliked even by people who don't frequent fansites, and have a very high killrate makes her exceptional and needing of changes imo.

• jesterkind

How so? I'll admit I don't play Artist, but it seems like static birds would still have mid-loop utility if they didn't swarm people.

The way I see it, if this change were made, placing a bird at a loop would become a positioning game more than forcing survivors to leave: You want them to approach the bird from the front, so you can launch it and injure them, and they want to approach the bird from behind, so they can run into it and dissipate it.

Artist wouldn't be mechanically restricted and she'd be given an opportunity to try something new with her power, but that new thing has more interactive gameplay than the current one so it shouldn't be as obnoxious to face.

• jesterkind

Sure, but why wouldn't the next target get a high killrate if it becomes the norm to give up against them the way it is against Skull Merchant?

She doesn't have a high killrate because she's actually that good. People just refuse to play against her.

• WolfyWood

I don't believe the opposition is that unified to where we would see a repeat of SM situation.

There are three benchmarks that would warrant a complete rework.

-High killrate

-Community feedback

-Already received changes from devs several times

If this cannot be applied to another killer than I don't think it warrants a rework, just changes like you suggested. Which is why no other killer is in the same position she is.

She would be a first if they reworked her entirely. But hopefully she would be the last and they would learn their lesson. If not then yes they'd have to rework that next killer too.

But hopefully it stays exceptional.

• LordGlint

I feel like there's room for compromise with this killer, although I'm sure ppl will still instantly give up. Currently there's no way to remove stacks for example. If they introduced a way to remove stacks while out of chase similar to Wesker's vacines... it would provide both consistency in chases for the survivors and a reason to get off gens.

Also... just spit balling here but... What if they change how she gets her drones? Currently she has 6 drones which has a 10 second cooldown once placed resulting in 8 seconds of undetectable. Survivors MOSTLY don't bother disarming them since they repair themselves anyway, and the SM can just call it back to quickly replace it.

What if... recalled drones don't go to SM but instead have to be reloaded similar to Huntress hatchets? Would take care of the complaint of "she just tosses down a drone at EVERY loop" since you don't seemingly have infinite drones to work with. Could do something like remove her cooldown to compensate. This would give more incentive to disarm the drones.

• jesterkind

It doesn't require unified opposition. It only takes one person in a match to give up for that whole match to be a wash in the stats, considering how unlikely it is for more than one survivor to leave that trial afterwards.

If it becomes popular to give up against a killer, even if not that many people do it, the killrate will rise by the amount we're seeing with Skull Merchant. It's only a 10% increase from the "balanced" spot, and that comes purely from the fact that people will immediately give up. Even players who don't hate her that much will probably cascade into giving up after one person does, because that match isn't realistically winnable anymore.

She shouldn't even be the first. No killer should just outright be removed from the game, certainly not a killer that doesn't even have a justifiable reason to be hated anymore. Like I said, starve the fire of oxygen, wait. If this is still true a year down the line, maybe, but right now the expectation should be for these players to grow up.

• jesterkind

I definitely like the stack-removing suggestion, that's a pretty genius idea so credit to whoever was patient zero for it catching on. Hacking drones removing stacks increases power interaction and decreases how much a killer player can autopilot into winning a war of attrition, it's a win/win for the game's health overall.

Messing with how she gets drones wouldn't be the worst idea, honestly. I don't love how quickly a lot of people jump to locker-reloads, but something along those lines could be workable for sure. Even just forcing her to go to a certain radius of the drone to recall it could increase the worth of hacking drones.

• LordGlint

It doesn't even have to be lockers. We could borrow off of Xeno for this one. Xenos tunnels act 2 fold as both the entrance/exit of tunnels, and also where survivors get flame throwers. What if SM had similar structures? Reloads drones at computers spread around the map, and survivors could interact with the computer to get rid of stacks. This would avoid the annoying locker spawn problem Huntress has.