Make Map Offerings secret

Options
Lixadonna
Lixadonna Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 135

So secret it is unknown until Results screen. Same for other Secret Offerings.

Comments

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 423
    Options

this is the best idea that can be suggested in this topic about map offerings

• aerie
    aerie Member Posts: 68
    Options

no. with how many different maps are used just to be a "win easier" assist, i have no interest playing the more boring map offerings.

if you want to bring maps that give you a higher chance of winning, i should be able to say "nah, i'm good."

• Lixadonna
    Options

To keep people from crashing the game.

But you will use all the best Offerings and Perks trying to get easy wins too.

• aerie
    aerie Member Posts: 68
    Options

"But you will use all the best Offerings and Perks trying to get easy wins too."

you don't know me, because i don't do that. xD

• Lixadonna
    Options

We have streamers like Tru3Ta1ent who is High MMR Killer Main and he crashes on Map Offerings. Do High MMR Killers not want to compete with High MMR Survivor? Killers just want easy games and avoid a little competition from other side.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 423
    Options

This is not an argument. Just because some players dc due to map offerings does not mean every killer wants an easy game. As killer-main streamers, we have Otz and Hens333 which never crash when they see a map offering. Same goes the other way: there are some survivor mains who crash or kill themselves on hook when they see the killer beings an map offering and there are survivors who accept it and play the game.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,038
    edited February 16
    Options

This is an unpopular opinion, but Agreed.

Map offerings are one of the overblown things in this game that isn't as big of a balance factor as many like to believe.

Just like SWF, which stats now show are only 3% on average better than solo's, despite years and years of people complaining that SWF break the game and make killer impossible to play, Map offerings do not determine the outcome of your game.

Every map is viable, for every killer. Some are better suited than others, but none are impossible. If and when a map IS a problem, then it becomes a problem in all cases, outside of map offerings, and it gets flagged and rebalanced, just like Eyrie of Crows was.

And the fact that you only get tilted when a map offering for an unfavourable map is played, but not when you end up on that very same map by chance, proves that the map is not the problem, and if the map is not the problem, how can a map offering for that map be a problem?

They problem... is your emotional reaction to seeing the map offering. You get tilted, you play worse, you lose.

Lose the knowledge that the map has been chosen by a player and that goes away.

If map offerings were truly an issue, they would be reflected in kill rates. BHVR would see that X map has a higher/lower kill rate, and that difference is amplified when that map is played as an offering, and they would fix it. The fact that they haven't, despite years and years of complaints, just goes to show that the issue is not significant.

Keeping map offerings is important, they're a valid form of expression for game variety, and they do offer an advantage for certain killers that are necessary for those killers, such as stealth killers on indoor maps, or speed killers on open maps.

Yes, they do offer an advantage, an entirely fair advantage, just like playing an Oak offering, or a Coin offering, or a Reagent offering provides an advantage. Not an advantage that decides the game, not a significant advantage that it is a problem to game balance, an advantage that is entirely within the expected margins of the offering system.

Making offerings hidden is a good move. It's not going to make players magically understand that maps aren't broken despite their fallacious opinions, but it will be a healthy change for the game.

Another good change would be ensuring that map offerings draw from a wider pool of maps. People have the biggest issues with single-map offerings such as Garden of Joy or Midwich, while offerings like MacMillans or Azarovs go largely under the radar, because they including multiple maps with a variety of '-sidedness'. They need to stop releasing new maps in new realms, and add maps to existing underpopulated realms.

• GRIG0
    GRIG0 Member Posts: 289
    Options

I rather see those being entirely removed, just accept the map you get like everyone else.

"But what if I need it for an achievement?" Well then you hope for that map to be selected by the game, because it seems everyone needs achievements in the maps more convenient for them 🌝