If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Are the devs serious?

Options

Comments

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 324
    Options

I think the extended timer is to reduce edge cases. It hardly ever happens, but I've had a couple of times where leaving immediately to start searching boxes while having the trap that requires the highest amount of tries to disarm would not be enough to search all the boxes you need.

It's a once-in-a-blue-moon issue, but I've gotten killed by a slightly too short timer before. It feels terrible because you're left there thinking "What was I supposed to do... I just got RNG'd to literal death."

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

The problem I think is that the people disagreeing with you get the trap on a survivor and then like relentlessly tunnel that survivor out. Then they lose b/c the other 3 survivors go ahead and work through the gens and then Pig walks away with a 1K and they’re here in the forums screaming Pig is underpowered.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,993
    Options

There’s no strategy or consistency to that playstyle though. You’re basically just hoping that they don’t get the RBT off early on. It’s better to have control of a zone of the map.

• woundcowboy
    Options

Think about that the other way around: you get your head trap off almost instantly and Pig loses her pressure to rng. I’ve had it happen where everyone gets their trap off fast and she is stuck without a power.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,033
    Options

There's no strategy or consistency to empowering killer fundamentals? I'm not sure what you're saying.

You're not really hoping for anything, you're capitalising on the fact that there's a survivor guaranteed to not be on generators. Even if one survivor gets it off first try, the normalising of her RNG means you're guaranteed to get more slowdown off the other traps. If you're trying to harass survivors away from boxes consistently, best case scenario you're splitting your attention away from the other survivors you need to pressure and everyone's just less threatened by you than they could be.

More realistically, you're just giving up generator progress while you're also preventing the traps from actually providing any extra slowdown. How can that survivor's trap be slowing down the game more than if you were chasing them... when you're chasing them?

(The timer nerf also still barely matters, to be clear, we won't be drifting away from that point.)

• woundcowboy
    Options

I already responded to that point- if the 30 seconds don’t matter, there was no reason to make the change. Like you can’t have it both ways. If you’re saying 30 seconds isn’t impactful, then why would they change it?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,033
    Options

It's not impactful to the killer, because running into it would require you to do something suboptimal, cheesy, and kinda unhealthy for the game.

I'm guessing at why it exists, but I'm assuming it has to do with Pig players very aggressively attempting to force a head-pop, which is what I mean above. Someone above me here also mentioned that it's probably about edge cases on certain maps where you don't actually have enough time to reach all the boxes, and that seems kinda reasonable too.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 324
    Options

Didn't they make it impossible to have everyone remove their traps too fast? I could swear they changed the traps from full random tries to "pick one random trap between the 1-2-3-4 tries traps" every single time.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,794
    Options

I don't see how this appreciably affects the slowdown, honestly. It makes a headpop a lot less likely, but against anything but total babies those were super unlikely before. The traps still need to be dealt with, and dealing with them won't be any quicker.

If they had drastically reduced the time it takes to search a Jigsaw box or made it so you can escape with an active trap on, that would be a whole other thing.

All these changes do to RBT dynamics is that it makes it less likely that absolute potatoes will die to them.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 179
    Options

I think even if it doesn't make her necessarily weaker, these changes make her much less interesting. I get that it's sort of lame to deal with, but RBTs as a win condition made Pig unique. They're really the only part of her that tries emulating what Saw is. I think these changes are mostly bad because they assume there's something compelling that RBTs and Ambush compliment, but there's really not. If there was another part to her power, buffing her not-at-all unique dash and nerfing her actually unique RBTs would be fine. The issue isn't that RBTs themselves have been nerfed, it's that BHVR is taking Pig in a direction that makes her a basic dash attack killer with some passive slowdown rather than a killer that represents Saw. If RBTs don't work as the core of her kit, then there should be something else introduced to be, rather than making it the incredibly bland charge I worry both BHVR and the community at large seem to favor.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,478
    Options

guys. I'm playing a saw character, ######### is this bs that the traps never kill anyone? putting people on traps and they becoming unalive is the saw thing.

they already are on a perfectly fine spot where a head pops maybe every 100 traps? there's no need to increase the timer at all.

what's next? sadako doesn't come out of tvs anymore? freddy has no dream world? the traps being deadly IS the flavour of the character, you don't just make it basicaly impossible for no reason.

and the ambush is a pretty bad chase power with some niche uses in it. it's just rarely worth the use, specially if you don't know the geometry well.

ghostface still has the best stealth, not debatable. SHE IS BRIGHT ######### RED! and crouching/standing up has unique sounds that alert survivors paying attention.

so the ambush can use more buffs. including removing the invisible walls on maps so she can climb #########. that was fun.

and to finish... the existence of rule set #2, the gears... all show that playing in a style where the traps are more deadly was always intended by the devs. so can we stop pretending it's not a thing? and that it wasn't nerfed?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,039
    edited February 20
    Options
  • Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 433
    Options

The basekit timer didn't really need to change at all, it was tampered timer/Crate Of Gears or double gears that could be oppressive on some maps, fix the add ons and leave the basekit alone.

• ScioNex
    ScioNex Member Posts: 22
    Options

its a massive buff to Pig players that have enough time on her and know her trap boxes spawn locations, with the buff to her chase kit she will be able to down people quicker and get traps on them before gens will pop, and that is not all, she can use 3 gen perks and bamboozle and she will be pretty much unstoppable in the right hands.

• GeneralSkien
    GeneralSkien Member Posts: 107
    Options

No one plays pig for the dash, you play for the RBT, that being said, the dash buffs are very welcome.

The RBT nerf just guts pig’s slow down and pressure abilities.

its insane how this is a divisive issue we shouldn’t be fighting each other, rather the fact pig gets a small buff with huge downsides while all other killers get massive buffs is an insane idea.

thought there is a small chance this could be fake? It could be cope but there is no chance in hell a professional game company points out the fact a character is overnerfed and proceeds to nerf it anyways. Considering Behavior’s relationship with the SAW franchise I have a small glimmer of hope this is a bait and switch

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,230
    edited February 20
    Options

If you're relying on the head pops to get kills as Pig you're going to lose anyway.

Yeah - They're buffing the "worst" part about Pig's kit - That's good. Buffs that make her more viable out of hovering over a RBT key spawner is good.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

Agreed 100%. I'm looking forward to these Pig changes. I've been asking for ambush buffs FOREVER.

• woundcowboy
    Options

You don’t have time to get a trap on everyone, if they know what they’re doing. BHVR added that, and things like new grim to try and encourage spreading pressure, when in reality you’re better off hard focusing on one.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 437
    Options

Bro is talking about “handholding” when they have been buffing alot of killers lately. I bet you were one of those that said that the survivor hud was “handholding” as well

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,397
    Options

The follow someone until head pop bit might as well not be playing dbd, it shouldn't be a thing in the first place. My 6 year old nephew could pull of the same thing.

Your still getting immense slowdown, you just can't CHEESE more than two killers in a semi efficient lobby with ZERO skill on your part.

You can defend a blind folded play style and claim it's stronger but anyone who thinks about health would disagree with you.

• GeneralSkien
    Options

I understand that may be the case but pressuring boxes is something pigs do removing this feels wrong, and increasing the timer makes the RBT feel powerless and pointless

also pig isn’t in a place to get any nerfs, the fact that pig has to get a big nerf with decent buffs is laughable compared to other killers buffs this patch

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,397
    Options

It's not big nerfs though? They have buffed her chase power and her overall slow down is the same, no? The only thing nerfed about pig is the aforementioned blind folded play style I mentioned.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,001
    Options

It seems pretty clear that their intention is to change Pig from a unique killer to "Do more chases".

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 348
    Options
  • GeneralSkien
    edited February 20
    Options

i might have some bias with my love for head pop builds so take what I say with some salt, but I just don’t like the changes personally. The RBT changes makes them feel weak… ignoreable which is fine! It was like that somewhat before But it kinda sucks because 70% of her add-ons are about the lethality of the RBT, so making it feel like a head cushion to be removed at your pleasure rather than an inconvenience. My main gripe is that now the RBT’s feel kinda stapled on like

”yeah we gotta stealth killer with a dash , let’s just staple this on and call it a day”

it’s just not good anti-loop, I don’t play pig because I love the dash, I play pig because I wanna use a reverse bear trap! I wanna put the survivors in a saw movie. If I wanted anti-loop I’d play a killer with an actual anti loop!

my frustration comes from the fact that removing the lethality of the Bear traps makes it feel like a slap in the face, and it gets worse because more than half the add-ons are to increase the lethality of the bear traps. I just see wasted potential and get upset

the point is, I understand it was somewhat brain dead to play, but I don’t like the idea of bhvr removing an entire playable of a killer

• North85
    North85 Member Posts: 90
    Options

Yeah no I'd say the changes still amount to a net nerf for Pig. Even when they buff Pig they nerf her, how sad.

• Zomboid81
    Zomboid81 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Not sure about anyone else, but I typically leave the survivors alone for the first minute or so of the bear trap then check the farthest box from where I hook them since it's safe to assume that's where they'd be. Losing the auras while probably a smart thing overall is still very annoying for the guaranteed pressure I can apply by forcing a survivor into a very bad situation by delaying the time to get to the last box. 30 seconds just seems too safe considering you can actively see the box auras even before the trap is active. And I know the whole, "It's supposed to be passive slowdown argument not kills" but for the slowdown to be effective there still has to be some stakes in play. Why not make it so the survivor cannot interact with the boxes until the timer is active or make it so that Rule Set No. 2 is basekit? Kramer certainly wouldn't have made it that easy to get out of the trap. That way there still feels like there is something at stake or at least a bit of pressure to get the box removed rather than just, "Oh no I need to spend about 30 second to a minute running around the map before this next gen pops".

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,856
    edited February 20
    Options

I've had this as well. The timer can be barely enough to reach 4 boxes sometimes, and one minor deviation or one interrupted box can be certain death. 30 seconds doesn’t give you all that much leeway here. If 2:30 is barely enough to remove the trap, 3:00 isn't going to allow you to do anything meaningful, because there's still the risk of not acheiving an optimal path between boxes if you happen to cross paths with the killer.

People are acting like those 30 seconds allow the survivor to do a gen before their head explodes, but in reality you still can't risk not going straight for a box. It only takes you running into the killer between boxes for you to be a real risk.

That said, I do think increasing the timer by 30 seconds is the lazy option. I don't think it's a good change, it's just not a bad change.

Personally, instead of increasing the timer, I would have had the timer pause while working on a box. This would still have the effect of increasing the timer by an average of 36 seconds, but it would be relative to the number of searches, so that a 2 search trap is still threatening, but a 4 search trap isn't almost certain death.

Moreover, it would mean that an interrupted search isn't drastically increasing the lethality of the trap, and therefore can't be used to force a head pop. Chasing a survivor off a box would still increase the slowdown potential, as that's another box to search, another 12 seconds plus travel time. It just wouldn't be such a scummy play and result in certain death with nothing the survivor can do about it in any way.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,856
    Options

I don't think I've ever had a Pig game where I haven't used all my traps.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,630
    Options

It's a buff. You still get the slowdown from the traps and a pretty good buff to her ambush. The only Pig's this nerfs are those who spend the game just tunnel 1 survivor until their head pops and then the rest all escape.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,173
    Options

Its so sad. They seem to severely lack understanding of how to balance these kind of powers.

Im just gonna post this here again:

Best form of nerf to RBT:

• survivors cannot die to the timer running out while searching a jigsaw box
    • survivors are not interrupted by screaming while searching a jigsaw box

Nothing more is needed. These nerfs would be in line with the buffs she is getting. The nerfs proposed in the notes are overkill.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,478
    Options

should always have been a thing. you do something in game, you get a single rocket launcher. insta downs, area of effect, single shot. breaks walls and gens

• canonjack001
    canonjack001 Applicant Posts: 66
    Options

They are just pretending to buff Pig, because her kill rate is 1% higher than their expectation.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Do people really not understand that Pig’s traps are for slowdown—not a guaranteed pseudo-mori? You should not chase survivors with traps on their head. The traps are *slow down* that do the work *for* you. You do not need to pressure survivors wearing the traps because the trap IS pressure. Stop working against your own power.

• LordGlint
    Options

You're claiming that all the gens are done before you can use the traps? I feel like you should be CELEBRATING that they're buffing the chase part of her power then. You'll be able to get 4 downs now before 5 gens are done on a killer with built in slowdown...

• LordGlint
    Options

That's too weak. A survivor hit by the rocker launcher immediately gets the game erased from their hard drive and their character explodes into a puddle.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,173
    Options

Thats the point though. Pig currently has a weak chase and therefore is dependent on strong slowdown or even kills from the traps to win.

This will not change though. The buffs are not enough by a long shot to warrant the nerfs. The Pig will still lose 3 gens to pre dropping or survivors leaving the loop to get her first trap placed. However, this trap is now severely less threatening. Overall, shes just worse.

• Princesse_nico
    Princesse_nico Member Posts: 107
    Options

Sometimes the killer is arround gens and even if you would not have a trap you would not be able to do gen.

They are many situation where the traps does not slow down the game.