We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

dbd is at it's downfall || tunneling & matchmaking

Atom7k
Atom7k Member Posts: 245
edited February 26 in General Discussions

Alltough they add new content regularly and the new chapter looks amazing, it didn't even took 5 matches for it to feel stale and boring again.

Why is that you may ask? Well let's look at the current situation. A new player join's dbd he get's maybe 5 starter games before mmr screws him over and sells him out to a killer with more experience then the whole team has. They get stomped into the ground and made fun of in the endgame chat.

I've seen it, I've even tested it with a new account. It's just so disgusting.

If that was your first impression of the game when you started you probably would've put it aside too. Eventually after 2 weeks you even forget about the game alltogether and never play it again. That's what happened to a lot of my friends when I tried to bring them into dbd. It wasn't even my presence that made the match mmr bad for new players. They played on their own more then with me but the experience was the same.

So dbd can attract new players but can't really keep them. This means a constant decrease of players over time.

Now onto the current situation for veteran players. I don't really know how we ended up here but currently I blame streamers partially for it. Popular players like Otz and others made a whole marketing strategy to sell tunneling as a strategy to the average person. Tunneling is normal in competitive dbd but has never been as present in normal dbd as it is today. It was so normalized that people don't even feel bad about it anymore when they made bad decisions the whole match and then "won back the game" by tunneling and camping. That is not what the entity wants according to lore.

People are proud of themself when they won a match against solo-q survivors by tunneling and camping. When has it come this far. It's just sad

So currently active players are beyond annoyed as they have to face killers tunneling at 5 gen's almost every game now. It's tiring, boring and draining. All killer feels the same because they are played the same way with almost similar builds.

So players take a break for a weak, come back to find out it's still the same, go on another break for a month, nothing changes, they are gone for years or even for good.

This game will have a rapid end if the matchmaking is not improved and tunneling is put to an end.

Comments

• concubined
    concubined Member Posts: 140

Let me know when you stop trying to appeal to emotions with cherry picking. The flaws of MMR affects both sides equally, a brand new killer player can be matched up against survivors with many hours over them and the chances of that happening is more because 4 survivors > 1 killer.

And as for the melodramatic rant about tunneling, it is a valid strategy and completely necessary in many situations. It is strategical, not emotional unlike your word choices and tone.

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    edited February 27

Most of the comp community and a large group of people did a test where they 12 hooked people and didn't tunnel or camp but ran strong add-ons and obviously they are in the top MMR bracket so they have good game sense and they all won at about 90-93% of the games.... It can also just be shown how killers go on hundreds of game win streaks without having to camp or tunnel. Even The top comp squads haven't even broken the 400 win streak mark as survivor.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 265

The current timing is a little short, but 10 seconds is too much.

As to complaints about DS, it depends on the timing of those complaints. A lot of survivors weaponized DS before conspicuous actions disabled it. It was entirely possible to be playing normally without tunneling and end up DS'd because the 60 second timer wasn't up, even though you'd already wrapped up a chase with someone else, hooked them, and found this person. 60 seconds is an extremely long time in a game like DBD.

• Hexling
    edited February 27

There's a couple videos on it... I have to find them again but here's even a recent video of pro players playing against each other with no rules and survivors just get ran through. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68-aGId0Bs&t=1854s ... The only tie the survivors got was because the map and it was still a tie. Also the point that you can go on hundreds plus kill streaks as killers even when the game was super survivor sided shows you can win with decent game sense and without having to tunnel and camp.

• Hexling
    edited February 27

Well I don't play to win so whoever's on my team is going to have a bad time anyways I just go to have fun chases and get saves or funny plays. I really could care less about winning in this game it makes it boring who wants to just sit on a gen. In solo que its 1v1v1v1v1 so might as well just make the best out of it and enjoy and just expect to lose its not like this game is call of duty or and fps that really shows skill.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

How would you feel if your fun was ruined by a friend's suicide or DC? In that case, you should not complain to anyone. It's your doppelgänger who's stealing your fun.

• Hexling

It happens to me almost 95% of my matches and I don't care because my point isn't to escape the trial its to have fun. I'm not complaining about tunneling and camping I think its fine. My point is it just shows you have little skill since its not needed to win. I haven't had my fun stolen in this game since I quit caring about escaping. My point is though that people find the path of least resistance because they sweat to much and try to min max everything which just kills the game. for them. You cant even see your elo or mmr so you will never truly know you are at high mmr as a survivor unless you play with sweaty swfs and go for escape streaks. Or if you play killer and camp and tunnel both imo very boring gameplay styles which lead to quick burn out and the reason most people come on these forums lol.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,173

How do you stop tunneling without making the survivor invulnerable? How do you pervent a survivor from abusing invulnerability?

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 125

Perhaps there could be some reward for killers if they alternate between survivors rather than tunneling just one or two in succession. An example could be if you hook 4 different survivors in a row you get a bonus to your next gen regression action, or all survivors suffer from exposed for a short time. They are just random ideas but you get the idea, if there is some incentive for killers to play different then maybe...

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Tunnelling is a massive problem but it's been a massive issue for years so I don't see how it would suddenly cause the downfall of DBD. Everyone complains about tunnelling and most of them continue to play regardless.

• xltechno

I see.....

Adds OTR to Survivor's base kit and maintains it for 80 seconds regardless of actions. Instead, survivors with this effect activated will receive a 30% debuff on all actions.

During this time, it is better for the Sweaty Killer to leave the Survivor alone, so many Killers will remove them from their targets. If the survivor is still tunneled, it's just a traffic accident. The frequency will drop significantly.

This proposed adjustment is a win-win, buffing both Killers and Survivors.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Tunneling is more prevalent, but make no mistake it was an issue that existed before Otz, Scott, [insert dbd content creator here] ever said anything about it. The onboarding for dbd is terrible, but it has always been pretty bad if you didn't start playing in 2016/2017.

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690

Isn't the correct play from the survivor is to just increase the chase time for the next chase then? You have a free health state and do gens much slower. Why wouldn't you take that free health state and help the survivor that is in chase making the next down take longer. This delays downs and makes gens go faster since there is less interruption. Best way to slow gens down is forcing survivors off gens constantly because they need to unhook.

You then have the issue of OTR not working with BT, and if you change that then survivors can body block with BT and have OTR in their back pocket.

• Hitman2000
    Hitman2000 Member Posts: 14

Why suvs cry for otr basekit?

just take it with u and u have still 3 perls for ur free choice

killers also habe to pick at least one gen regression perk…

maybe try to look on ur 4 perkslots like a portfolio and u can choose the focus of ur portfolio

u are afraid of tunneling? Take oft and ds

u wanna rush gens? Take proof and deja vu

u wanr chases? Wi dows and exhausten perks

why suvs always cry for basekit perks instead of just picking them into obe of their 4 slots???

• xltechno

My personal opinion is that I am familiar with both Killer and Survivor, and from that standpoint, I don't think there is a need for a base kit.

However, from this official forum and from what I have personally seen in Europe, America, and Western culture, tunneling is incredibly difficult for survivors, and it seems to be a way for killers to hide their poor skills. It's like being told that it's difficult for me to go to the toilet 100 meters away to relieve myself, but that's what every survivors says anyway.

Therefore, I just suggested a compromise. To be honest, if you follow this idea, you'll probably need 120 seconds and he'll need a 40% debuff. Survivors cannot distribute the number of hooks due to skill issues, so they will have to rely on the killer, so I think it is a good incentive for the killer to leave the survivors alone, who are useless in completing the generator.

• bakamoli
    bakamoli Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

That's not true at all tho. As a killer main, it's completely possible to get everyone to the last hook stage and still win. Makes for some close games.