I still don't understand skull merchant hate

Options
Leachy_Jr
Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,134

The only issues with versing her is the vital targeting processor add on. If you hate the hindered chances are you hate that add on giving you too much of it.

It's physically impossible to 3 gen anymore.

Besides the undetectable (which is only 8s), she has to earn all of her status effects through scans. People enjoyed old chase merchant running geo readout and strobes, I didn't see anyone complaining those add ons "gave her too many status effects (🤓)".

Honestly I think she's in the best spot she's ever been in, and despite the hindered lasting a bit too long I think she's one of the better designed killers in the game rn.

Maybe when people get good and hop off the sm hate bandwagon they can finally have fun against her and not give me free bloodpoints by giving up at 5 gens.

Comments

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

I don't hate SM because games are so fast against her. Thankfully we are moving too fast to next game. So it's hard to hate her when you barely see her.

• MalekithHatesSnow
    MalekithHatesSnow Member Posts: 215
    Options

While you don't understand SM hate I can't understand Hillbilly love

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 881
    Options

I disagree that Merchant is not notable in that regard. How you can think that when drones can injure people for her, force them to mend, render them unable to heal, slow them down, speed her up, give her stealth and tracking, is beyond me. As you patrol gens, survivors will be forced off them over and over again, regularly unable to avoid beams, they will quickly build up scans and inevitably become clawtrapped. If they avoid drones on their approach to gens, they are spending a lot of time doing so. If they hack them, you recall and reset them. Contesting hooks within the droned gen cluster makes avoiding them extra difficult. She will also regularly be Undetectable and get the jump on survivors on her 3-gen. Add-ons additionally play into things, such as the ones affecting skill checks. I legitimately don't understand your stance that her ability is not noteworthily suited to 3-genning, or noteworthy in its potency for that strat. Another notable problem again being the "ease of use" of it on this killer.

I invite you as I did in that post to just put it to the test. Play a couple of 3-gen Merchant matches and then try it with infinite Myers or whatever. See who you have an easier time demolishing most opponents with just strolling around your gens.

What I'd also consider is that people simply 3-gen on Merchant more frequently than on other killers, and be that because of her past, reputation or because it simply makes sense to set up drones in an area surrounding gens. And so even if she wouldn't be particularly, disproportionately problematic in terms of her 3-gen prowess, it could still be a problem that she disproportionately promotes this gameplay. I think when looking into her stats, the incidence of matches that are won at 1 gen left would be comparably as (if not more) notable than that of hook suicides and disconnects.

I don't think you need "good drone placement" or zone people in order to accumulate scans on them. You set up a drone on any tile in chase or around a 3-gen patrol and that's it. Unless you majorly mess up the placement I don't see that there is too much to think about. M1 skills are naturally still beneficial, but they are not as needed as they are on killers that don't get all of these effects, downing most survivors is fairly trivial once Deep Wound, Undetectable, Haste and Hindered are in play.

I must have been thinking about being fully scanned once already injured, in which case I'm pretty sure you don't get a hit sprint. In the matches that I do stick around and play against Merchant I tend to make her M1 me if I'm healthy and at risk of getting scanned for the third time, for obvious reasons, so I suppose I just haven't had too many healthy-to-locked-on instances to remember that there is a hit sprint.

I don't hate everything about her, I did say I don't think she is irredeemable, that would be silly, she's just a bundle of design choices that could be reconsidered on, mechanics that could be altered. I have made various suggestions in the past regarding things that could make her more engaging to face.

What staunch defenders of this killer character will have to acknowledge is that much as you may think or feel she is completely fine and any hate unwarranted, the fact that there is hate is a problem from a game dev perspective regardless. A 70% killrate (excluding matches with disconnects, at that) as well as a fairly resounding dislike of this piece of gameplay design among the playerbase to an extent where people will often "go next" simply are an issue if the devs care about creating gameplay experiences people enjoy. I'm not sure whether you enjoy people killing themselves or disconnecting in your Merchant matches, but on the wager that you don't, you would also want them to do something that changes things. Forum posts will not change people's minds on this, not least because the vast majority of people never read these posts or even visit these forums - not wanting to play against Merchant is their natural reaction and inclination based upon their playing experiences. So even if you genuinely believe there is nothing wrong with her design and swathes of people are holding the opinions, feelings and reactions they do regarding her irrationally, that still doesn't mean some redesigning isn't reasonable.

• BlackRabies
    BlackRabies Member Posts: 864
    Options

She'd really rare already and I dont have any issues with her. When I do get a game vs her almost always some one else just gives up and throws the game for everyone else. I see it as a skill issue just need to actually learn how to counter play against her instead of being a dam baby about it. Only thing that's absolutely garbage about her is her perks, all useless and needs some changing.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,053
    Options

To tackle those points in order:

1: But which is it? It can't be that they're only getting scanned when they leave the gen and that it happens quickly and reliably. If she's pushing people away from three generators, those scans will build quite slowly because they aren't even guaranteed to happen every time they're pushed away, let alone factoring in that she's pushing people away from multiple generators at once. If she's only focusing the one generator, sure, those scans build quicker, but she's also not defending her 3-gen if she's doing that. She has to choose, does she push to build stacks or does she patrol the 3-gen.

This is also where I'll note that disabling the drones matters here, because if you force her to come back and replace it, she's doing that INSTEAD OF getting scans on you as you leave. Don't do it every time you approach, obviously, but it does matter and does make a difference.

2: Approaching cautiously in this context just means stopping once for a brief second if the beam happens to cross over you, though. Even adding up, that's very little extra downtime compared to just running back to the gen normally. The power isn't an AOE anymore, it isn't just a big circle affecting you no matter what.

3: In a drawn out game versus a killer whose power doesn't need to build up, the effect is even more potent. There's no lull, the power is just already affecting you. That is an argument for why Merchant is weaker at this compared to other killers defending 3-gens; we aren't looking at her doing it vs her not doing it, we're looking at her doing it vs other killers doing it.

4: The point is that she only gets a worse Clown slow if she's built up to that point, and building up to that point takes time if we assume the survivors aren't just recklessly getting themselves scanned out of chase. She might be more threatening in a 3-gen scenario than Clown once she's built up to that point... but she has to build up to that point, where other killers don't, and she's still weaker than those other killers at doing it once she does.

5: If I voided every game where people gave up, I'd have way too small of a sample size to mean anything, that's more what I meant. You can't do experiments like this with Skull Merchant because all the data is irreversibly tainted. People giving up on top of all the massive misconceptions about her power on top of people randomly getting themselves scanned for no reason out of chase... it's just a mess, you can't glean anything from it.

6: It would be extremely damning, because it's only happening due to baseless outrage. Still, if they can manage to fix her without fundamentally altering her from the ground up - and "fix" in this context means appeasing those who have it out for her, so I doubt that's possible - I wouldn't be too annoyed. I would, however, be annoyed if her entire concept gets scrapped because people can't step back and realise it's not as big of a deal as they think it is.

I do like her. I've already lost parts of her that I liked, and that's fine, I'll accept losing those things to make her healthier for the game. Thing is, that's done. She is healthier, she only has minor problems... and she's still on her way to getting another round of big changes, over killers that actually deserve it, because of complete nonsense. I have every right to be annoyed at that - though it is just a game, it's only a minor annoyance - and I do think it's relatively important for the state of discourse that someone try and make sure this is remembered the way it actually happened. Can you imagine how obnoxious people will be if this gets remembered as "Skull Merchant was so badly designed they had to rework her four times before they gave up and scrapped her"?

• jesterkind
    Options

Excellent example of the exact kind of thing I was talking about.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,502
    Options

I agree. I’m P19 with her and I get a lot of DCs 🤣 it’s totally silly.

• MechWarrior3
    Options
  • jesterkind
    Options

No? Why on earth would I talk to you, specifically, about this?

• MechWarrior3
    Options

You mention a lot of things about skill expression as if survivors cared about skill. Most are casual players and barely know where the pallets are and we are talking about skill expression.

It takes skill to thoughtfully place your drones in specific areas that you think the specific survivors are going to walk-through, or run through and chase. It takes skill to try to hurt survivors into the drones to get scanned in the first place. If you want to get any value out of your drones, you need to know how to use them, it’s not just about putting them up at loops and gg you win otherwise everyone would play her. There is a lot more thought that goes into the character then people give her credit for whether they want to admit it or not.

Do you know what takes zero skill expression? Sitting on a gen holding M1.

The skill expression is the same as looping skull merchant.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,134
    Options

The trope of "character weirdly obsessed with one harmless hobby and manifesting it into violent reality" is good writing and you cannot tell me otherwise.

Her fathers manga being the interest is so niche, but I love it because of that reason. Imagine if her "inspiration" was something generic like video games or car racing. She is unique in literally every aspect, coming from an interesting background and having a unique life unlike any killer in the game.

Also her tome is one of the best tomes in the game but considering most sm haters are just on a bandwagon I'm guessing you and many other people are not gonna take the time to read it.

• jesterkind
    Options

If you do want to have a conversation, then yeah, I'll follow suit.

Basically, the problem is that people only went to go nitpick her lore because they already didn't like her. It doesn't help that BHVR decided to go for a slightly campy route, which is something I find people have a hard time recognising and appreciating even when they aren't already mad, but it's mostly the first thing.

The lore's just fine. It has some fun ideas, it executes on them fine, and it has the BHVR-typical poor pacing and lack of focus. It does spend too much time on her early life compared to later, and I separately also have an issue with it not going into the origin of her drones at all, but those are two fairly small problems in the grand scheme of things.

The whole obsession with her father's manga thing is overblown as bad writing, in my opinion. It's just kind of campy, there's nothing really wrong with it - and since learning about how Brazil has a massive manga scene, I can appreciate BHVR writing that into her story. I think it does aid in her vibe a little bit - she's basically the Colonel (? it's a military rank don't @ me it's been so long since I read this) from The Most Dangerous Game, and that character's also meant to be a larger-than-life kind of figure. Characters like her should have some kind of flair, I'd argue. What she has is fine.

I'm not gonna come out here and say it's a masterpiece. BHVR do have some really good writing, but most of it's exactly the same level of quality as Skull Merchant: It's fine. Fun ideas, decent enough execution, I've never really liked the voice they're written in and I've always thought they had poor pacing. SM's isn't unique, people were just already mad and didn't take to the slightly goofy element very well because of it.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options
  • Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,405
    Options

That's why I asked if her Tome made her lore better.

Also, most DBD original characters are "unique". Take Artist for example, can't really think of anyone else turned into a bird-hybrid by a cult for a lovecraftian horror.

She also starts stalking people and obsessing over people "better" and planning ways to get to them before that manga is even mentioned. I don't know if you meant to make it sound like her obsession with the literature made her into what she is, but that's kinda what it sounds like and that's not really true.

She's just cosplaying the character, which is kinda not that cool. Personally, I would've liked it if the manga had been written when she was younger and she forgets about it over time. Sort of keep the rest of the story the same, maybe have her father die earlier due to overworking and but past that, keep it the same. Have her re-discover her father's manga and have her realize she's pretty much become that character, but at this point, she's in too deep. Gives it a little more of a tragic twist whilst still keeping her wholly evil.

Idk, that's just off the cuff, haven't given much thought to lore corrections.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,405
    Options

I think he's a General, iirc.

The real issue, I think, is that she's just campy (in more ways than one lmao). If you take it like that, then yeah, I could see how it's fine. She's goofy, she's a little silly and maybe that's alright for some people. Like Army of Darkness-lite. Still horror but just silly horror.