When do you find DBD scary?

Options
concubined
concubined Member Posts: 140

For me, I get the adrenaline rush whenever it is the end game and it’s a race for the hatch, rather I’m playing survivor or killer my heart is always pumping. Or when i’m the killer checking the two gates going back and forth after I closed hatch trying to catch the last survivor before they power up the gate. Also when I’m just traversing through the map and I happen to walk through a pallet not even seeing a survivor there then boom suddenly it drops on my head, wth. Those are just what I can remember off the top of my head.

I really wish the atmosphere of the game is what’s fear-inducing, not just some in game events that make the competitive side of me feel scared to lose or a random jump scare. Like the maps, Eerie of crows and all the cold wind maps, why is it so bright and happy? Also the outfits and charms, it’s hard to feel scared when you see a bright pink bunny feng with silly cartoon charms t-bagging and clicking a flashlight. I would like the maps to have a similar vibe, lighting or aesthetic to like midwich or Yamaoka’s. And of course the killer’s cosmetic too, if the intentions is for them to be powerfully evil, why is a cute build-a-bear trapper chasing me. There are many killers (specially the very old ones) that needs their mori reworked and brought up to date, their should be more mori that has their intensity similar to Knight’s.

I remember when I first got the game how even when I was in the menus I was feeling scared, reading and looking through the character’s descriptions and stuff really feeling the horror tension of it all, when every chase I was in felt like I was running for my life and not just a strategic maneuver from one loop to the next. When escaping felt like such a milestone sized challenge, and the killers actually felt threatening.

Comments

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,753
    Options

During End-Game when I’m the last survivor left, against Jumpscare killers on Indoor maps, any match against Dredge (Nightfall’s Audio still ######### me up), and pretty much every match during Light’s Out

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Once upon a time, when maps were darker and light brought a grim tone to the game.

• Kaethela
    Kaethela Member Posts: 319
    Options

when i pick up a survivor and wonder if background player will bail someone out yet again

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

When the killer is actually acting like a movie monster killer. A scratch mirror Meyers is a lot more scary than the blight with four slowdowns tunneling some poor soul.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

When the game actually had a horror atmosphere.

The good days, my friend.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

I'm still surprised that Ghostface is still spying on me!

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,055
    Options

I find the game scary when I have to face a SM Myers, No Terror Radius Bubbi Boi or get paired with three identical Survivors who all have flashlights.

• Bradcore
    Bradcore Member Posts: 68
    Options

Back when killers were something to fear. I still remember a game years ago in the old junkyard. There were two gens left and they were both near each other. The huntress had killed two of us already. It was intense and exhilarating. One of the best matches I ever had. This was back when you could still use keys to open the hatch before generators were done and the post game chat was the most vile place on the internet.

I don't recall how the match ended, only that everyone stayed and complimented each other for making it such a great match. Even the two who were killed stayed to see the outcome.

I wish I had friended everyone in that game.

• concubined
    concubined Member Posts: 140
    Options
  • Samatrain
    Samatrain Member Posts: 80
    Options

Back in the day when Midwich was released (about 4 years already!?) that map was the scariest thing to me.. ambient noises and scary moving things.

Nowadays some killers still get me: ghostface, plague (when stealthy), myers

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,105
    Options

When I see someone running to me at 200% speed.

God I love Background Player so much it's so funny

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,405
    Options

Other than jumpscares, nothing really. Six years of playing will do that, I suppose.

• Samatrain
    Samatrain Member Posts: 80
    Options

This is so real 😭 hearing a survivor run at you from across the map at Mach 2 to burn your face off is terrifying. Survivors are scarier than killers most of the time

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

Probably when Gideons basement was actually pitch black and you couldn’t see more than 10 feet in front of you.

It was Lights Out before Lights Out

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,072
    edited March 14
    Options

When the bloodlust is so strong that you can almost hear the Devil telling you to kill every Survivor you find…

• JoeyDonuts
    JoeyDonuts Member Posts: 106
    Options

This. And years ago when madness increase for the Doctor showed the static shaking face, that used to be a good event.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

When the players i´m playing against are not... i mean, are good, because my dumb weird mind games will never work

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,101
    Options

They had a whole game mode that made a scary game. The problem is everyone that played it wasn't new to the game. Once something is known and understood it becomes less frightening.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,759
    Options

Mikey on indoor maps. Especially if he's got Monitor or dead rabbit, or doing one of the mirror builds.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,512
    Options

Outside of the occassional jumpscare killers, dbd has never been scary.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,278
    Options
    • Opening the gate as the last survivor and praying to not be found.
    • Trying to get a Pig head trap off with little time remaining and hearing her TR briefly.
    • Any time I see a Hillbilly race off in the distance one direction, then 10 seconds later I hear his TR, look around confused and crap myself when he appears charging at me from the complete opposite side, with seemingly never having crossed my vision in between.
  • Bloodartist
    Bloodartist Member Posts: 114
    edited March 14
    Options

I would love to act like a movie monster killer, but if I try to do that, the gens are done in like 2 minutes. There is just no chance. Its constant rush or fail.

I have most fun when I can jumpscare survivors, but the devs do their utmost to make that an impossibility. Like Sadakos recent change where she initiates a chase while demanifested; thumbsdown. Im against all automatic noise warnings that a killer is near. I loved it when I could manifest behind someone and pull them off a gen.. now its not possible.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 646
    edited March 14
    Options

Well when the maps were darker for one. They could've updated the visuals without making the maps so damn bright. Haddonfield is the only map that actually looks scary with the new graphics, but it's still too bright.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

It's still possible to do it, just isn't anywhere near easy which is why we understand that people won't go out of their way to do it. We can still blame them for being predictable though.

We advocate an indoor map. We don't know how you play but the last 3 Sadakos came at us very very obviously.