The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Rework: Distortion

Hello everyone,

in one of the other threads we talked about Distortion, Lightborn and some other stuff. Distortion these days gets a lot of flak by killers who got all their aura reading perks countered by one perk, and often Distortion users are very immersive and not very helpful to their team.

The one fact thats odd about Distortion is constantly recharging while in the killers terror radius, no matter if sneaking about or in an intense chase. Many players opt for a nerf that you can only recharge the perk while in chase, not while sneaking around, thus not allowing the full immersive playstyle without limits. But I got another idea.

The only problem I got with Distortion was the fact that it feels backwards: a killer who only runs one or two aura reading perks gets his loadout completely shut down with no real hope of burning through the regeneration stacks, while a killer with a full aura reading loadout can more or less easily burn through all 3 tokens and then some. Its like the nerf to Thanataphobia, because Legion and Plague abused the perk, but after the nerf the perk was unusable for every killer BESIDES Legion and Plague.

I would want to make the perk usable against all aura reading, but still leave killers with limited aura reading their window of usage, while a full loadout of four perks gets hit the hardest.

Reworked Distortion: when your aura would be read by the killer, this perk activates and gains 1 token. The aura readings uptime is reduced by 0,5/1,0/1,5s and a timer of 45s starts. If your aura is read again during this time, the perk gets another token, the timer refreshes and the number of tokens are added to the reduced aura reading. Max stack of tokens: 5.

Essentially, a killer running limited aura reading will have a reduced effect and really need to look around fast, least they miss the highlighted auras, but he can still get usage out of it if fast and lucky and/or skillful.

But a killer who runs full aura reading will have a hard time, with Distortion completely countering and shutting down their aura reading for that survivor and probably for the whole game. Aura reading is fun, but should be used in moderation, something that this version of Distortion would encourage.

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,465
    edited February 28

Id still prefer it being reworked in other ways

Recharging 1-2 tokens by being hooked means you can't permanently block auras and eventually the killer might spread some pressure off the rest of the team

Recharging in chase means being active rewards stealth rather than stealth rewards stealth

Because with this one if a killer has multiple aura perks then its just pure stealth and if a killer just has something like BBQ and plays well its just free stealth, it doesn't really fix any problems with the perk and just makes all aura reading more inconsistent instead of being either working or not working

Also big glaring flaw this version would have 100% synergy with object of obsession where if you are the obsession after 60s in a match you get free aura reading on the killer every 30s without them able to see you back (they only get to see you for 1.5s on its first activation and never again after) and your aura reading duration is reduced by 7.5s for the rest of the match meaning nothing but the longest lasting aura reading effects get any value on you. Two can play, gear head, bitter murmur. Two perk synergy with no downside against 90% of killers

There is 0 counterplay to this on a majority of killers and very easy to abuse especially with coms

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163
    edited February 29

So did you actually read my post? I call this change pretty balanced, besides some oversight, like OoO, but its just a brainstorm and discussion, not a finished product. My gut feeling tells me that you are just lashing out and didn't event gave the opening statement so much as a single look.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 875

IF there has to be a rework of some kind, it should only be to stop players from hiding and not contrinuting to the match. That's the only thing that need attention. Just tie it's token regeneration to gen progress or altruistic healing if that's the case.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

I don't think there is any need to change it. Unless Killer Instinct is disabled, Killer should choice different perks.

• I_Wanna_Muffin
    I_Wanna_Muffin Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 8

Distortion needs change heavily, it highly promotes either playing a killer that doesn't need slowdown and spamming aura reading perks to overwhelm it or just using gen regression/chase perks because aura reading is extremely inconsistent and low value when you consider game sense does a lot of what aura reading does.

Honestly having a perk that hides auras on surv side that you literally have to do nothing to get work (literally like mft)(not even the fact that distortion literally tells you what aura perks the killer has which is a large part of the game) and effectively disables an entire category of perks (minus ult wep), this causes people to not want to run them (because their value is inconsistent) and leads them to run the only consistent category of perks (gen slowdown). Which playing surv and your gen getting pain res into pop into pain res into pop, just feels awful as you feel as if you are doing nothing over the entire course of the game.

The entire games balance is around killer perks being significantly stronger then surv perks, unless the surv perk has some obscene setup or tight activation window (think mettle of man or unbreakable or potential energy). Distortion being 1 perk able to counter up to 2 perks on the killers side fully, give you info on the exact perks the killer is running, let you stealth unhooks/gens whilst also hiding scratch marks on proc for 10 secs, whilst having 3 charges that are refundable.

Honestly distortion should just be funny reworked into something new or significantly reworked it is unreal levels of overtuned (especially compared to the release version which was significantly more balanced but also released in a time where slowdown was not overly prevalent and aura reading was). Maybe just give it 1 token at a time that refreshes in chase or on unhooking another surv, make it able to counter an aura reading perk and make the way to get more tokens require putting yourself in danger.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

Survivors will be notified when their aura is seen, so survivors can pretty much guess what the Killer's perk is trying to do. It's a simple skill issue.

And the reason why killer perk is stronger than survivor is because there is a coefficient of number of people. When a killer and a survivor are in a chase, only one survivor is in a pinch, but the killer's pinch is all the remaining gens handled by the survivor. Therefore, there is a slight bias in strength.

• I_Wanna_Muffin
    I_Wanna_Muffin Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 8

Wdym simple skill issue, its just another advantage of the perk, yes killer perks should be stronger then survivor perks somewhat significantly which is why its bonkers that distortion can counter multiple killer perks at the same time whilst giving you info about what the killer is running, whilst hiding scratchmarks on proc whilst also recharging quickly so you basically will always have no aura unless youre playing against a killer who is spamming aura reading perks.

• codebibi
    codebibi Member Posts: 78

can people stop asking for a distortion nerf or rework. the perk is fine as it is and doesn't need to be change. killers have a dozen aura reading perks that they can abuse all game to see survivors constantly like a wall hack and distortion is the only counter survivors has.