Do you guys think BHVR plays the game?

Options
WolfyWood
WolfyWood Member Posts: 306

And I don't mean in-house or developer builds. That I'm sure they've played multiple hours of.

But do they actually play the live game?

Did the team responsible for shipping out Weaving Spiders play solo queue since to see the fruits of their labors?

Has the team responsible for leaving Freddy in such a state played him in any capacity since?

The lack of communication has been frustrating lately, I think it would be nice to see them acknowledge problems more often, even if its not to say they're working on it, just that they are aware of it.

Though I suppose I can understand why they are hesitant, this community isn't very warm lol.

Comments

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 449
    Options

Sometimes I doubt it.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,269
    Options

I know Almo (or whatever his name is) used to, but no idea if he still does or even if he still works for BHVR.

That said, it's very likely they don't as most game designers play their game all day for work, they don't generally want to play it in their free time too, they want to play other games. Playing Dead by Daylight is work for them.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

I can't help but wish they would do more work, but perhaps bhvr's culture is very lax.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,794
    Options

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think there was a quote during one of the Anniversary load in screens that mentioned they start their workday playing

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Some of their decisions are clearly got from watching statistics.

For example they want to make all killrates 60% ideally. That's probably why they buffed Huntress. But Huntress didn't need a buff. She has her killrate below 60% because she is free, so newer players try to play her and they lose.

Huntress requires some patience and accuracy from player. Not extra 2 hatchets or some another buff.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 306
    Options

Yeah but internal testing can only show so much.

I feel as though some of their decisions are a result of not actively playing the live game.

I dont think they should be forced to play during their free time but definitely during work hours.

Of course this is all speculation on my end, so they very well could already be doing so. It just doesn't feel like it based on their recent choices.

There a few issues with the author analogy, mainly that authors absolutely do read their own books during the editing process, and also books are not similar to live service pvp games at all.

Dbd is not a pve game. One can have all the stats from internal testing but knowing how real people interact with what you put out, and playing with others in an authentic environment is very important.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    edited March 27
    Options

There a few issues with the author analogy, mainly that authors absolutely do read their own books during the editing process, and also books are not similar to live service pvp games at all.

The equivalent to editing is all that in house testing that they do.

Books and live service pvp might be very different for us the players, but they share a lot of similarities for the those who make them. It's a creative endeavor, with long hours spent pouring over minor details, to create a product that its creator will never experience in the same way as those who consume it.

Dbd is not a pve game. One can have all the stats from internal testing but knowing how real people interact with what you put out, and playing with others in an authentic environment is very important.

The question though is how much you want them to play the game on live servers? I imagine most of the devs play at least occasionally on live servers, but if they were adding the hours of even a casual player on top of working on the game there would be very little time for anything else.

A bigger problem is that we potentially get the devs to actually behave the way some players accuse them of being, i.e. either killer or survivor mains. You could take a group of thousand hour players and ask them what direction the game should go and get a lot of different answers. If the devs were actually factoring their plays into decision making we might have balance decisions come in that were based much more on their experience instead of the community.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,828
    Options

This is so nice to know πŸ€—

May I ask which platform(s) the team plays on? I'm just curious if any of you play on Nintendo Switch, even if it's not your favorite.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,094
    Options

I know there's a profile badge for BHVR employees. someone on twitter posted a screenshot of a game where someone with that profile badge tunneled them out at the beginning of the game. Take that anecdote as you will.

• MoNosEmpire
    MoNosEmpire Member Posts: 649
    Options

I'm sure they play but not near enough to realise what needs nerfing and what needs buffing if they have that power in office.

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489
    Options

If there is no understanding it doesnt even matter if you play the game.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 834
    Options

I have a friend who works in game dev and he always sounds like playing his own game is the last thing he wants to do. He can't seem to find the balance of playing the game off the clock.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Do some of you prefer a specific role over the other? Do any of you have a favorite killer or survivor that you main when you play?

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 173
    Options

I'm 100% sure I played with a Devs (or at least a staff person) because he had a very strange player banner that I discovered was exclusive to Devs. Some will think "he was a cheater!" ... I don't think so because the game was "normal" and devs was the only one to die🀣

• Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 141
    edited March 27
    Options

He was streaming DBD earlier today in fact, he's still at BHVR. Edit: Just checked and he's streaming DBD now even

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,455
    Options

I will only speak for myself - Nea as a survivor and Spirit and Legion as killer. I have just over 6k hours on Live game and it's a mix of both roles.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 498
    Options

Out of curiosity, do you ever roll with the Warhammer Titan Spirit? The lobby music is just too awesome for me to ever change skins. It's actually becoming a bit of a problem for me!

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    Options

If they did we wouldn't have the Shroud (survivor spawn) offerings.