DS's 5 second stun was never complained about before it was nerfed -- so why now?

Options

It's kind of funny watching killer players whine about the recently announced DS buff, saying that 5 seconds is too much. But, the DS stun time literally used to be 5 seconds and NOBODY complained about that part of the perk. The only things that were complained about DS were the old variations where you didn't lose it on conspicuous actions, but that was patched out a long time ago.

But now that DS is being restored to its former glory, suddenly it's a massive problem to some people. This is making me believe that killers have gotten so used to winning games by just hard tunneling since survivors don't have a strong counter to it.

New DS will not affect you if you simply don't tunnel. If you have an issue with new DS, YOU are the exact reason why this perk had to be buffed.

Comments

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Enduring was reflected because there were complaints. Don't you know?

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    edited March 30
    Options

the thing is , while am totally okay about making the perk usable with 5 seconds stun because 3 seconds was a total joke on the average solo q matches were people waste resources like candy, they haven't fixed one of the most annoying and unfair part of the perk with this BUFF:

"still can be used aggressively by some players to the point were the killer is going to be forced to tunnel and eat a DS when they have no choice …like when people use their DS just to tank a hit with bt basekit- OTR and them get away with that easily because if you pick them up you get punished by that and don't make the argument that the killer MUST WAIT 60 - 45 SECONDS AVERAGE TO HOOK THEM THATS JUST SILLY survivors can repair 3 gens during that time pretty quickly.

MY SUGGESTION: make it so the perk disables collision with the killer while any endurance effect its active or just make it so it removes collision while active, that's it.

I hate when people use their DS like that and them, they complain about getting tunneled, like bro just go away let me chase someone else.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 556
    Options

The only change DS needed was the conspicuous action one. The stun length nerf was pretty bad and ended up killing it.

Most people will tell you that I think.

Overall I think this is a good series of changes, barring the Twins which I don't know much about but I have a friend that's a Twins main and he's not looking forward to it so its probably bad.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 556
    Options

Actually, doubleposting a bit, I vaguely remember Otz and Scott complaining about the duration, but the bulk of the argument was that people could do gens in your face with it.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,215
    Options

I actually saw fewer complaints about that than I did the stun duration, being that the duration felt miserable to sit through every time a bully squad forced you to tunnel them via bodyblocks or CJ techs.

Though the #1 complaint was being able to pop a gen in the killers face after they ate a DS because inconspicuous actions weren't a thing.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,668
    Options

One side thinks the perk is now going to be game breaking and proves the game is survivor sided, the other seems to think the perk is useless and proves the game is killer sided.

I guess that means the perk is balanced now then right?

• edgardot02
    edgardot02 Member Posts: 149
    edited March 30
    Options

As Main Killer,I honestly don't mind about the 5 seconds. It's totally fine if u still loose the perk if u touch a generator or heal your team. The main purpose of this is not tunneling and I agree that tunneling is a bad experience for the survivor and I usually don't like to tunnel unless a guy deserve that.

The old perks that I really hate it was OLD DS the one the survivor can sit repairing or heal itself with no fear.
    IRON WILL eliminating 100% sound while injured.

these two perks was broken those days.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    edited March 30
    Options

I feel like the bulk of ds complaints was that it was just too good. It was 60 seconds of invulnerability to do what ever you wanted. A lose-lose for the killer.

>Chase them - eat ds.

>They're doing gens in your face - eat ds.

>You down and hook another survivor but find them again - eat ds

It absolutely needed a nerf, but all of those at once pretty much killed it. Hell, I remember people suggesting that you should be able to use it multiple times per match because it was that bad.

Though, the wild disparity between killers doesn't help. Against Nurse and Blight, it's an empty perk slot. This up coming version has a meaningful stun, but with multiple conditions that stop it from being oppressive.

• KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 158
    edited March 30
    Options

It kinda was although it wasn't what the majority of people had a problem with DS was. Tbh like a lot of others are saying, 5 sec DS helps against the weaker killers but not the stronger ones. This is only reducing the variety of killers.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,277
    edited March 30
    Options

I've seen this suggestion a few times... and the one issue with it... is your fast killers can deliberately run in the survivor and do a "DS check". No collision? Free to tunnel.

Might be fine because OTR is a thing, but the perk loses value because killers can check you before they tunnel you.

I was expecting a 4 second and an additonal 4 second power disable instead of a flat 5. It would mean Nurse, Blight, Spirit, Hillbilly get hit a little harder, compared to the likes of Pig, Freddy, Myers, Trapper, etc.

But the 5s is probably fine, its not that easy to weaponise... it can still throw a game attempting to misuse it.

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690
    Options

New DS will not affect you if you simply don't tunnel. If you have an
    issue with new DS, YOU are the exact reason why this perk had to be
    buffed.

I don't tunnel and I can still will deal with OTR if survivors are running it. The change will make everyone run OTR+DS which all killers will be dealing with regardless if you play nice or sweaty. The only difference between playing sweaty vs nice is the frequency that you have to deal with the perks.

DS+BT at hook was dumb before. The survivor getting saved would always body block because if you tunnel them they had DS. Now with DS not working at endgame survivors will try to force the DS since you lose it either way. OTR makes it so survivors can now take that situation and take it else where in the map. If I get unhooked with OTR+DS+UB why am I not going 2 tiles over and body blocking the killer twice? If the gens are about to be finished my DS is turning off regardless. Is that somehow not the correct play for the survivor? And if so, that means a killer playing nice now has to deal with this buff.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

Simply because they used to tunnel out of the game very early making their matches easier. Now will be harder to tunnel out especially if the player is decent and if eventually kill that player you have lost the game.

It's an inconvenience for tunneling killer.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,045
    Options

You joined March 2023, well after the DS nerf. How do you know?

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 950
    Options

IDC if it makes any killers life harder for tunneling, good, it's what it should do, stop returning to the hook every unhook if you don't want to risk your time being wasted there. There needs to be more in place to deter the current META, if anything I think stuns should disable killer powers like Nurse/Blight in general, I don't think it should be a DS specific thing. Hyper mobility should be punished if used poorly, that's what this game needs more of.

• Firellius
    Options

But we're specifically talking about the community, IE: These forums.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    Options

but people do the same with OTR , if the survivor is making no injure sounds after unhooked the killer already knows that OTR is in play so i dont see the issue is not like a survivor will intentionally ran into the killer to let them know about not having collision unless the survivor is just dumb , just get to a pallet or window simple.

• ChaosWam
    Options

I started the game when Sadako came out. You really think I joined the forums at the same time?

• Firellius
    Options

If you weren't on the forums, though, how do you know what the community opinion was on DS?

• ChaosWam
    edited March 30
    Options

Steam discussions and Reddit, as well as playing survivor and being teamed with 2-3 man bully squads at the time.

Also, general research into the game that has little to no information in game will expose you to the issues of the game. Videos, mostly. I refrained from joining the forums for this long because of situations like this.

• Firellius
    Options

Yeah, and when I joined in, I did the same, and encountered none of that. I came in shortly before DS got its actual conspic action nerf, and there were -no- complaints about offensive use after the conspic action nerf.

There were complaints about its use in general, definitely, with tunnelling addicts being upset that they shot themselves in the foot, but nothing about DS bodyblocking.

• ChaosWam
    Options

I don't know if you weren't looking in the right places then, because I DEFINITELY remember people wanting DS nerfed and rejoicing when the changes came through.

Meanwhile, the tunneling problem wasn't and still isn't actually fixed. DS isn't going to stop it against decent M2 killers and low MMR survivors without buying DS are still going to suffer.

• Firellius
    Options

I don't know if you weren't looking in the right places then, because I DEFINITELY remember people wanting DS nerfed and rejoicing when the changes came through.

Oh, every change will have someone cheering on the sidelines. Tunnel-junkies would rejoice for any DS nerf.

But that is different from DS being a problem to non-tunnelling killers.

• ChaosWam
    Options

And I explained why it's a problem to non-tunneling killers, yet somehow it doesn't get through despite carefully explaining it.

I don't even know why it's a bad thing to say we shouldn't promote using anti-tunnel perks to go on the offense while finding a solution that benefits both sides and all MMR ranges.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,234
    Options

Okay so I've been here for a millennia on the forums and what he's saying is true.

• Firellius
    Options

And I explained why it's a problem to non-tunneling killers, yet somehow it doesn't get through despite carefully explaining it.

Likewise, I've explained why it's not a problem to non-tunnelling killers, but that doesn't get through either, despite carefully explaining it.

I don't even know why it's a bad thing to say we shouldn't promote using anti-tunnel perks to go on the offense while finding a solution that benefits both sides and all MMR ranges.

Because it takes BHVR two years to change a 3 back to a 5 and the forum killers are at it again, throwing out the anchor and clamouring to have it undone, inventing once-in-a-blue-moon scenarios to try and paint the perk as a problem.

Tunnelling is the issue that killers have been digging their heels in on the most. It's been a problem since the game's inception, but we're going to massively overanalyse a perk that historically stopped being a problem after the conspic action nerf, minus the EGC activations.

'Anything but DS', and once DS is off the table, it's straight back to 'no solution warranted'. And then we can go another two years without anything being done.

I've been here for as long as DS has had its deactivation conditions. No one complained about DS being a problem to non-tunnelling killers.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,234
    Options

It was literally covering the forums, youtube and twitch streamers. One of the top most discussed issues in the game.

• ChaosWam
    Options

Again, as I have explained it a ton now, it's not JUST DS.

It's DS/OTR/UB being used offensively that's an issue. Buffing DS doesn't fix tunneling against most M2 killers and punishes M1 killers stuck with overly-altruistic survivors running this build.

I've even seen killers claim 3 gens and facecamps were 'once in a blue moon' and we know that ain't true.

• Firellius
    Options

It… Really wasn't, my guy. There were complaints about the existence of second-chance perks altogether, about survivors always using the same set of perks, but not about non-tunnelling killers getting hit with DS.

OTR wasn't a thing back before DS got nerfed to 3 seconds, what are you talking about?

• ChaosWam
    Options

I didn't say anything about OTR and pre-nerf DS…?

Anyway, look, you can at LEAST agree that locking a perk that's supposed to help survivors avoid being tunneled behind a licensed chapter is a bad idea right? Regardless of any builds DS can be paired with?

• Firellius
    Options

But you said "It's DS/OTR/UB being used offensively that's an issue"?

And I get what you mean, and there should be a baseline solution to the problem, -something- is better than a few more years of -nothing-.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,171
    Options

The conspicuous action nerf was tastefully done and it was only every 5s to counter enduring reducing all stuns, so changing it to 3s was never really that bad except for middle of the pack players who weren't smart enough to use it synergistically instead of relying on the perk to do all the work itself

Changing to 5s doesn't really fix the top end problem of the perk against high tier killers but does make it much better for middle of the pack survivors and against killers who don't have mobility

• ChaosWam
    Options

Did I say DS/OTR/UB was being used or is and will be this entire time?

Before it used to be DS/Dead Hard/UB/Adrenaline, if my memory serves me right.

And going forward, we're probably going to end up with a similar meta as to before the shakeup: Anti tunnel/bodyblock perks and strong regression. And that's me hoping I'm wrong about the bodyblocking. Not looking forward to that.

• Firellius
    Options

Did I say DS/OTR/UB was being used or is and will be this entire time?

Was. As per the topic.

And going forward, we're probably going to end up with a similar meta as to before the shakeup: Anti tunnel/bodyblock perks and strong regression. And that's me hoping I'm wrong about the bodyblocking. Not looking forward to that.

OTR might need a fix, but it needed one from day 1. DS wasn't the problem.

• ChaosWam
    edited March 30
    Options

DS topic wise, I said it was complained about in the past for other reasons. DS for what you harp on me about is the current way survivors use it. Just to clear that up.

And I just wish we had something to help with tunneling without sacrificing a perk slot and being forced to buy a DLC or wait out the shrine. Heck, OTR isn't that bad of an anti-tunnel perk by itself imo aside it being able to be negated immediately off hook. Paired with other perks, it becomes problematic and aggravating to face.

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 197
    Options

So I just say overall I am fine with DS being 5 secs but I still don't like this buff for the same reasons as Otz has been very vocal about. I'm not going to list all of them since they are the same reasons as Otz and he has talked about it in a tweet, on his discord, and in today's video which I share since I think it's a great video. That said I will talk about a few of the things. This buff may look good on paper but it's just a short-term fix, and honestly heavy limits the devs when comes to the future of the game. Also, we just going back to the days before the meta shake-up where every survivor build will just have DS in it with most likely UB and DH. Not really fun for either the killer or the survivors imo. Lastly its the fact that a anti-tunnel perk are going to be tied to dlc perks. So this DS update isn't going to help newer players at all bc if the killer catches on that a survivor is new to the game(either by how they acting in the match or just looking at their hours in stream before the match) they will tunnel them out bc the chances that they have paid $5 for DS are pretty low. The better way was at least to rework DS and move its effect to one of the useless free perks Survivor has like This not Happening. Then at least everyone has access to a anti tunnel perk.

There are other reasons but I really encourage everyone to watch Otzs video today on the DS buff:

Also, you see that nowhere in this video he is saying that tunneling should be encouraged, he just saying that there are much better ways to stop tunneling and the buff to DS is just the easy way out for the devs. I agree with him when he says around the 10:07 mark: "I'm sure many other people have told them that they could make some changes to make the anti-tunneling experience better for everyone not just for some players and instead they chose to do the simpler, lazier, more shortsighted option."

• Firellius
    Options

The move from DS to OTR was just worse for everyone. OTR is better at bodyblocking against non-tunnelling killers since it doesn't incapacitate you, but it gets disabled if the killer tunnels harder. It's remarkable how wrong BHVR managed to get that one.

It takes skill, in a game like this, to make a decision that is worse for both sides of the fence.