The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Players thoughts on the current state of dbd

itssbeann
itssbeann Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 5

I’m not here to argue or disagree with anyone I just want to hear peoples thoughts on the current state of dbd. Personally I don’t like the current state of dbd I don’t enjoy playing the game almost every match will consist of pop pain res and tunneling and I don’t find it fun. From my experience playing the game not saying everyone’s is like mine but from my experiences I solo queue most the time I’m losing most my matches I’m running into pop and pain res very frequently my teammates give up early into the match tunneling happens quite often as well and I don’t find the game to be fun nor enjoyable. I play killer for fun when my survivor matches are just beyond horrible and I have fun while playing it if I’m being honest but personally how I am I just can’t play killer for longer than like an hour without getting bored of it I prefer survivor more cuz I find it more fun being chased and trying to survive over killing but I just want to hear what other people think about dbd and it’s current state and why

Comments

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

There's a lot that an be said…

It's Gen progression VS. Gen regression… the whole 1.0-2.2 charges per second VS. .25 charges per second at base (I know that Killer's get an extra 5% (maybe more now) and only having 8 Gen regression actions per Gen

It's Maps…. them being seeded offers more variation but comes at the cost of them being RNG dependent

It's perks, Items and addons mistuning

It's having to deal with 5 90 charge Gens either close together or far apart…

• blackfox0408_fr_
    blackfox0408_fr_ Member Posts: 79

Maps are a big problem, like rng is a mess, then you can just get bad maps and bad maps over and over again …

Gens fly since ppl get bored if they don't do gens or chase …

Most killers tunnel since the mmr forces them to have half difficult half easy matches and they don't like losing …

Most perks / powers are either brokenly easy to use and have no counterplay or are just straight up garbage (red hearing exist btw) …

The killer buff of the regression system added not 5% but 2.5% since there was already 2.5% regression whenever kicking …

The average level of play is increasing very fast …

Background player is fine ?

Yeah just play nurse / blight / oni and snowball and sweat …

My question would be :

Do you enjoy DBD and if you don't, why are you playing it ?

DBD is amazing because the game is so wide you can find whatever you are searching to play in DBD …

• Guroneko
    Guroneko Member Posts: 9

MMR oughta do something besides just keeping the "Baby" and "Competitive" player populations in containment within their respective brackets. A respectable amount of general population in between these two brackets are suffering simply because of how matchmaking reaches for far more/less skilled players if it can't find others with a similar (invisible) skill number.

Map offerings should be much more limited/rare/costly relative to how accessible they are. Perhaps even done away with completely in favor of "map voting." The morale drop of knowing you're going to a "bad map" (in either role) BEFORE the game even starts loading can be awful. I'd be willing to bet it also contributes to disconnects almost as much as getting tunneled does.

Sacrificial Ward is my favorite item in the game, bar hecking none. The odds of seeing the same four map offerings AND having them counter my Ward? Practically Null. It keeps me sane some days. I don't even dislike Eyrie to any malicious extent— What I DO dislike is constantly being exposed to it over rarer maps because so many players somehow garnered the misconception that pretty much EVERY killer is so bad on Eyrie that it's worth burning over "risking" a random map.

Otherwise? Besides the nice people who develop my favorite spooky game not knowing what version of some of my favorite Killers they should settle on to make the game enjoyable/compelling for both sides (Skully/Sadako/Twins/Knight)—

Besides the usage statistics on a LOT of survivor perks being downright embarrassing because they're difficult to use "correctly" (Blood Rush is actually nuts with a Syringe if you hate being tunneled and are willing to try something new)—

The game definitely isn't the worst its ever been on either side. The matchmaking experience is just way too volatile before you're even in-game to keep enjoyment very high for very long, or even to keep it very consistent.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 979

Too mindless. Just convert it to PvE at this point.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

"The killer buff of the regression system added not 5% but 2.5% since there was already 2.5% regression whenever kicking …

The average level of play is increasing very fast …"

So it's 5% overall now?

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

In terms of balance I think the game's better than it's ever been. In terms of my enjoyment of it, it's not quite an all time low but it's not what it used to be.

My issue isn't really specific perks or anything, it's just the aggressively competitive mindset everyone goes in with these days. In the days where there was more busted stuff readily available, somehow it was actually less common to see killers stacking every good regression perk or 4 man SWFs using all the hard meta perk combos all the time. Now it feels like the norm.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing the game however you wish to play it, but I think people in this game tend to care way too much about the end result of the match that they often forget to actually have a little fun in the match. People are sometimes racing for the most uninteractive gameplay they possibly can (i.e. gen rush builds, hardcore tunneling, etc.) and you lose all opportunity for interesting chases.

Unfortunately there's nothing BHVR can do to fix the playerbase; that's up to everyone as individuals to decide what is most fun for them. Some people find winning the most fun. Personally I just like to have an interesting match.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Its still a lot of fun to play. In fact I'd say its in a pretty good spot at the moment.

For the most part Killer feels suitably powerful and survivor feels suitably difficult.

That's not to say there aren't changes that I don't like or stuff that I miss. Personally the pinnacle of DBD for me was chains of hate. With the Leatherface rework a close second.

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 325

Honestly, I have a hard time figuring out how I feel about dbd. I have been playing it less and less over last few months. I used to play it every night, using random killers and I looked forward to it playing. Now tho I have to make myself play it. I don't even know what killer to play anymore. Like I don't mind the metas of the game or anything(tho I HATE buckle up + FTP) but I will say matches are not really fun. I think one thing I'm tired of is my match quality. Almost all my matches are either me getting my a** handed to me or I completely dominating the survivors and getting a 3k or 4k at 4 gens. Very rarely I get matches that feel balanced and rewarding. I was hoping the unknown would help me get back into DBD but he actually did the opposite. My first week on them was a nightmare and I just wasn't having fun with them. The upcoming changes dont really excite me either.

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 215

Honestly, if you find you are making yourself play it play just don't. No game is worth it dbd will still be here if you leave the game for a while. People take the p out of the time the devs said players should take a break but honestly, it's never a bad call dbd is honestly not that important.

• EmpireCity830
    EmpireCity830 Member Posts: 118

I think the game is in a very bad state. The pace of the game has gotten way too fast. Solo queue is bad but not as bad for me as other people. I get competent teammates about 60% of the time give or take. On killer nearly every game has been miserable. Survivors are really good at looping tiles and pumping out gens. I have no time to generate any pressure. I'm very close to just quitting killer altogether. Survivor has been mostly autopilot for me. Just do gens, open door and leave. It's really boring, but its better than getting beaten senseless every game on killer side.

i would love to see some data on the average match time and how many gens get done per match. My games on both roles 5 gens get done and gates are opened in like less than 10 min a majority of the time.

Anyone else think the game has gotten really fast? Cause I certainly feel like games are too fast nowadays.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,825

Best state the game has been in balance wise but there's still a lot to be addressed.

• Tunnelling needs something that isn't locked behind a pay wall.
    • 4 slow down stacking should be addressed as well as the need for killers to run slow down in the first place.
    • FTP/Buckle Up and Background Player are overtuned.
    • Nurse still needs to be looked at
    • Low tier killers like Freddy and Myers desperately need something
    • The amount of survivors giving up mid game is insane
    • Map design

Overall though, I'm happy with the state of the game for the most part right now.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,320
    edited April 4

I am not impressed with the current state. Not impressed at all.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,999

That's pretty much most of my complaints as well. They done great things over the last year (removing gen tapping, buffing killers, anti face camp, anti 3 gen,) but still have much more to go. The game is a decent spot overall

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,542

It's mostly fine. Some things could be changed (like tunneling) but we have seen way worse. The killer meta has become similar to the old survivor in that you see the same 4-6 perks on all killers but since there are some small changes every once in a while I consider it more bearable.

• blackfox0408_fr_
    blackfox0408_fr_ Member Posts: 79

Yes whenever you kick a generator as killer you get 5% of the 90 sec grind off but you can only do it 8 times …

"Agressive competitive mindset"

I play both roles and i promise you that getting destroyed is not fun in both roles so most ppl bring the strongest ######### to not get stomped … and if you play 10 games and you get stomped once, DBD is a trash game, so yeah i am absolutely not surprised …

Losing is not fun if it's not because you played badly …

yeah i agree

i get decently competant teamates 10 % of the time, i play more killer than surv and i have a bad mmr …

on killer i get extremely good survivors that would destroy most ppl … (I think im not the best but i still played a bit of comp)

"i would love to see some data on the average match time and how many gens get done per match. My games on both roles 5 gens get done and gates are opened in like less than 10 min a majority of the time."

I whole heartly agree …

"Anyone else think the game has gotten really fast? Cause I certainly feel like games are too fast nowadays."

Tunneling is a solution to bad early game and yes it needs a non DS counter … and for those who wonder, no, off the record is not that strong…

Cool interesting opininon, next !

It's coming but BHVR is still maybe a little bit small for the size of the game

Bad teamates ? bad rng ? bad ? sweaty ? Have you wondered why and though how to fix it ? do you try to get better ? do you only verse killers you hate ?

Nothing was said so yes you need to say more so we can help you resolve that problem !

Do you like it like that ? idk …

At least billys are common now …

Hidden mmr sucks btw and matchmaking is a very big mess too

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

It feels like it's currently in one of the healthiest states it has ever been in. The devs are listening much more to feedback and communication is far better. The new modes being introduced are fun additions. The game in general is being altered to try to make it fairer to both sides. Whilst there will still be people fighting against change, it has resulted in better gameplay.

Things which still need looking at would be ever-changing the meta, since it's becoming predictable as to what perks are coming in. Players need incentives to try new things out, and when I randomize my set-ups, I swear I do better because people aren't prepared for it. There's still some map-balancing issues, but stuff has been done, from putting hooks on the top floor of Ormond, or adjusting the beneath-bridge loops of the swamps.

Overall, I'm very much enjoying the game, with breaks being taken from time to time only to play other games and keep it varied. This may be unpopular for some (popular to others), but this is a really good game.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 2,104

What he said to be honest.

I mostly play killer, you guessed it! The Onyro. Matches with her are stale and boring lately. A lot of my joy comes from this killer but she’s so meh and feels like a tangled mess, other than that yeah, again what he said, just waiting for the next chapter and anniversary.

Pretty disappointed with Sadakos Rework unfortunately.

• tak47888
    tak47888 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 4

Even though the game is more balanced than ever before, I don't feel like playing it for more than the tome challenges anymore (if even that). Gameplay is repetitive on both sides, killer is only playable during the daytime cause sweaty groups creep out at night and the latest patches and events were disappointing to say the least (except for my little Oni, that one is awesome). Player count is constantly decreasing for a reason.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I should clarify… I don't need to escape to enjoy the game, either. I live for the nailbiters, of which they are few and far between.

As for tome challenges—not that you asked for my opinion—I think I have outgrown the battle pass/challenges era of gaming. Maybe it's marketing fatigue, or maybe it's my career in marketing that has me rejecting blatantly manipulative marketing tactics.

Whatever it is, I am so over studios wasting resources on consumer cash grabs. It is a vicious cycle.

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333

every match feels the same and i dont think i need to elaborate too much on this. there's a meta and you must play like meta slaves to win. the game does not reward you for picking underused perks or playing for fun. you have to optimize your gameplay as much as possible.

bhvr needs to add something ACTUALLY interesting to the game. the blood moon event this year was one of the most boring events ever. if it wasnt for the stupid amounts of BP, this event would've been considered a failure. they should add a new gamemode like one of those they had in the survey a while back, and not something that gets boring quickly like lights out. something that doesnt change the base gameplay but still freshens it up: a team vs team mode (kill the survivors faster than the other team's killer), play with random loadouts, down a survivor to make them the killer, no addons/items, etc.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 606

Things get worse for killers with every update.

DbD has never been in a good place;

The game started out awkward and weird…Now it's awkward, weird and full of cheesy super-armor features.

• Pit_Bull_Love
    Pit_Bull_Love Member Posts: 42

When I first read your comment, I was thinking "No way!" But your follow up, is spot on. I think the game is actually balanced fairly well (maybe not perfect, but pretty good job so far), it's the outliers who are ruining the game for everyone on both sides.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 406

I found working with marketing truly shows both the negatives and positives. Yes everything is meant with the intentions of gaining more profit. It is easy to see how this was made to manipulate that. That is the unfortunate and will eat you up. Nothing is done without the tie in to profit. The joy can be with what is offered to be exciting. Which if done correctly can at least give a somewhat joy to wasting one’s money. My favorite marketing uses are from sweepstakes associated with customer buying products. This way they have a chance at more but they already got what they wanted to begin with.