This girl explains exactly why I've lost interest into DbD

Options
drsoontm
drsoontm Member Posts: 4,205

In the comment for the player survey, I've ended up ranting sarcastically about the removal of skill expression in the game.

This is probably the main reason I play about once a month, if that much.

I'm kind of pleased to hear I'm not the only one feeling that way. I agree with almost everything Slushie says in her video, as well as the comments from CoconutRTS.

The original video:

And the video that pointed me to it.

Comments

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 494
    Options

I like slushie, I follow her on twitch and YouTube. Sucks that she’s taking a break but I hope she finds other games that make her happy

• goodfriday
    goodfriday Member Posts: 209
    Options

Yeah especially the healer role on 14 its a living disaster and most fighting games lately is press 1 button= do easy combos with 0 thinking, all these games lately is being more of no expression of lately.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

Well I will just add that this mid chapter is so bad I wish we skip it or maybe ship only the tome with Haddofield changes and forgot this ever happend and moved on to next chapter with anniversary.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 361
    edited April 8
    Options

Lobby dodging is better than Balancing? 😐️

Yes, playing the same game over and over can lead into taking a break from it.

I like CoconutRTS he is one of the most creative dbd streamer but dbd is far from being a flat heartbeat.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,367
    Options

Yeah I feel like they are removing a lot of uniqueness in killers and trying to homogenize them too much. Too many killers are played against exactly the same.

A lot of killers have too low of skill ceilings as well for how much return you get.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 526
    Options

What does skill expression mean, exactly?

Back in my day, youngins had to cleanse all 5 totems going to AND from school....and they liked it! Harumph! Where is the skill in having a totem aura?

Some things I just couldn't care less about if it means a good time for all

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 798
    Options

I'll still milk new chapters and events (Temporarily)

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Aww Slushie💞 She’s such a Shweetums🫶🏽

She totally puts herself out there all vulnerable, and she’s 💯percent real n speaks the truth, telling it like it is.

Absolutely respect her☺️

Happy she doesn’t mince her words n feelings like other streamers.

Everyone deserves a break from DBD; it’s about having the strength to admit it’s necessarily valid for you personally, and the willpower n boldness to actually take that cozy break n chill from the game for awhile.

Such a comforting, mentally rewarding and mind opening experience once you finally do stop gaming Dead by Daylight for a few months😌

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,073
    Options

In DbD, you see with this dumbing down of killers relative to their strength output. A killer as easy Chucky or Skull Merchant should not be anywhere near A tier in strength. Not when killers like Huntress or Singularity exist in that same tier of strength.

pretty sure you create horrible imbalance the game with that logic and form radical elitism for x characters and y characters. I believe there is a term for this in video games. Was it Scrub strategies? It is like picture fighting game. a player is doing x action that makes y player lose, so Y player blames the scrub mechanic for losing rather then learning to play against said scrub strategy to defeat it. Then Y player creates conclusion that certain set character styles should not be allowed to be viable. e.g Spamming zoning moves or SPD Command grabs character shouldn't be strong. Only combo characters should be relevant in said genre because they take more skill to play then pressing 1 zoning button or 1 command grab.

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    Options

Do you really want to go back to the days when there were only a few viable killers even against solo queue players?

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 718
    edited April 8
    Options

I think what she and other streamers see as removing "skill expression", I tend to view more as BHVR's attempt to equalise certain aspects of the game. Whether that's to remove arguably unfair game mechanics affecting only a handful of Killers, or to bring the capabilities of PC Killers more in line with those of console players, I think what they're trying to do is make a more polished and consistent experience for everyone. When you consider that most of the player base is on console and plays DBD fairly casually, how can you justify 1000+ hour PC gamers having additional competitive advantages because they learned how to exploit unintended bugs "express their skill", when they almost certainly already have enough skill to beat nearly everyone else that plays the game?

I can understand why highly experienced players would be more upset about these things being removed from the game than maybe I would be (I never experienced them as a recent player). They need new things to learn and experience after so many thousands of hours of game play. Slushie admitted as much in the video, there's not much left for her to learn.

Can anyone really say they're surprised that after 1000's of hours, some players are growing a bit tired of the game play loop? I honestly can't think of any game that I've put more time into than DBD (unless I've being playing that game for 30+ years).

I'm also taking a break too. Because I feel like I do need a break to keep the experience fresh (and for other reasons as well, mainly my frustration at sinking so much time into the game, but not being a much better player than when I first started).

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 593
    Options

Remember the day developer said this is a party game

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 458
    Options

They're making a lot of Killers too easy on PC. That's a fact. Huntress doesn't need 7 hatchets for PC when they have 120 fps. How hard is it to backrev a Survivor with Hillbilly on PC considering he has a non-existent cooldown? These Killers are busted on PC.

• Neaxolotl
    Options

Hillbilly has fairly long charge up, which is honestly worse than cooldown

• Neaxolotl
    Options

Doesn't really matter when none of spamming realistically hit survivors tbh

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 718
    edited April 9
    Options

I am an absolutely terrible Huntress, on PC and console. I used to run leather loop or infantry belt every game, but that's been replaced with Oak Haft now that she has an extra hatchet. Believe me, it does not make a huge difference and I still get regularly 4 outed.

BHVR buffed Huntress for players like me not for players like Coconuts. That's not to say I think she needed buffing (because I don't), I can at least understand why BHVR buffed her. Billy is the 3rd best Killer in the game right now imho. Should he be? I don't know, but playing as him doesn't = free wins, even with all of his buffs.

I do think certain Killers have been over-buffed (Trickster, for example) and I question some of BHVR's choices, but I feel like they have a better understanding of the current state of DBD than some people give them credit. Especially for the player base as a whole rather than the hardcore veterans. Highly dedicated top level players are important too, but they make up such a small proportion of the community and I think their takes on the game don't always match up with reality for most players.

• drsoontm
    Options

Nobody said to go back in time. Removing "techs" isn't the way, that's all.

Reminder: 360 are a tech too. Imagine if they were removed? (And I think they've tried that and got buried for it.)

• drsoontm
    edited April 9
    Options

Yes, actually. When you play as Hag (given that was the example) you know you are in a bad place if you go against four flashlights so you dodge if you don't want the challenge.

That's way better than destroying her by making everybody able to destroy traps easily.

Have you noticed we never get Michi videos anymore? It feels like even the best Hag out there has given up.

And about taking a break playing the same game over and over. If DbD wasn't getting neutered I could play thousands more hours without getting bored.

I only stop playing games that are changing for the worst.

I'm pretty sure I'm not unique in that.

• drsoontm
    edited April 9
    Options

It may come as a shock but not everybody is like you. A lot of people don't get bored easily and have a never-ending attention span.

I'm the textbook clinical case of not getting bored. I have a condition. The only reason I stop doing something, anything, is if that something changes to the point it's not interesting or a challenge anymore. That's what DbD is becoming : uninteresting, dull, unchallenging.

I'll eat the same meals, wear the same clothes, do the same job (never boring), play the same game. I don't see the need for change, ever. I've got almost half a century of data saying so.

I've stopped playing DbD after thousands of hours because of the changes they did to neuter the fun in the game, that's all there is to it.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 743
    Options

I find these posts interesting because of how self involved they are. I don’t mean that as a negative but I see these types of vids in many other live server games and many seem to have a grass is greener elsewhere look.. when truth be told… they are burnt out because they put in many hours a week streaming.

I’m currently burnt out doing a fraction of the playtime they regularly do during the event. For instance a certain streamer dropped this game over a year ago to do variety… that didn’t work out, so they then latched onto another live server game.. and with a fraction of his DBD hours, he’s already talking like he did before dropping this game.

• FatAngryB
    FatAngryB Member Posts: 17
    Options

Maybe buff killers that need it and stop trying to water down the game D&D style. There's a reason 3.5 was better than what came afterwards. It isn't even a debate anymore at this point.

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 215
    Options

I don't disagree the game's skill ceiling is being lowered especially because a lot of newer killers just play like you are just following a flowchart- At this loop do this If you get hit end of chart. If not it and connects to another loop do this to force hit and so on until you get a hit.

That said most of what Slushy says about skill expression has very little to do with skill when the WHOLE learning curve is just knowing that an interaction exists.

Lightburning a wraith was not something you needed to practice or perfect, Removing hag traps had nothing to do with skill it was just knowing the interaction exists and then zapping them away and anything like locker saves where its just about learning a timing is just an advanced skill check imo. Most of what i consider to be skill expression in dbd is things a player can do better than another player a spirit can have better hearing and be more decisive than the last one you faced, A huntress may be able to hit crossmaps when the previous one could not ect. Dont get me wrong there is less opportunity for skill expression in dbd now eg every map has trees with branches all over the place so huntress crossmaps cannot be done as much but it's just not the things the video talks about.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,875
    edited April 9
    Options

You can't destroy Hag traps with flashlights anymore. Just letting you know in case you're dodging teams with flashlights.

Edit: just realized you're OP, so you'd know that. You confused me by talking in present tense.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,979
    Options

But that's exactly what you'd expect.

If a killer is harder to play, more people will be bad at playing them, so they'd have a lower kill rate. This is why Nurse has a low kill rate.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,433
    edited April 9
    Options

I don't agree with the overall conclusion of the video that all of these things being removed makes the game less fun. From my perspective BHVR look to be trying to resolve things that are exploitable and unfair. There are some things that perhaps should have stayed, and some things that should be changed/removed.

The flashlights at lockers is something duos can bait for, and can constantly put the killer in a lose lose situation. That had to go.

Flashlight burns on Wraith and Artist crows allowed survivors to double team them ith flashlights and hard counter them, messing with them at loops while they are trying to mind game a teammate and forcing them to be a m1 killer most of the match. That had to go.

Flashlight burn on Hag traps is a little more interesting and fair, have it as a faster trap clear at the expense of your item, but the wipe away mechanic being added as a weaker version of this is fine in the grand scheme. This is feature that can be argued coming back.

Flashlight burn on Nurse I still don't quite grasp... I know how it was hard to do, and in the case of Nurse, it's almost impossible bully her with flashlights, so again that is a feature that could be argued shpuld come back.

The removal of mechanics always has 2 sides. That has to be remembered when looking at any game feature in an asym. There is no blanket 1 size fits all for every mechanic in the game. You can't make your mind up on anything until you've heard the issue, and every single one needs to be carefully weighed up individually.

Some things Slushie complains about being removed are reasonable complaints, and should be considered for reintroduction to the game... there are other things that aren't, where the cons outweigh the pros, and should absolutely not return.

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,552
    Options

I'm a Pig and Sadako main for a reason. You can see it with them very well. Pig got dumped down with the most recent update. The trend to put her more in line with other killers in terms of chase at the cost of her uniqueness.

Sadako was even worse with her 2.0 version. It's comical how simple she was to play. Thankfully she got changed more towards her more skillful iteration. An exception as of late.

Variety is good. Uniqueness is good. Skill cielings are what keeps players engaged in the game for longer periods of time. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

• Hexonthebeach
    edited April 9
    Options

The only reason I watched the video was because CoconutRTS mentioned it. Good that he has still fun in the game.

I was just wondering why no one criticizes the video? But this happened now, thx Blighted Dolphin. This is exactly what I thought but couldn't write.

You're posting a video and say: Ok, I can almost agree to every point in the video, BUT I'm not telling you which one.

And other posting things that has nothing to do with the video.

The only thing I can partly agree is the anon mode. But it's very nice against stream sniper, aswell. Removing the Anon mode makes no difference if there are still the mass of alt accounts.

Post edited by Hexonthebeach on
  • Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

and tbh her kill rate really isn’t so far off from the others. She’s still comfortably over 50%.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,375
    Options

That was not the point of the video.

Balancing is good as long as the game remains fun. We have some killers that are balanced but really not fun to play and also some that are balanced but really not fun to play against. The game has also shifted away from the interactive part between killer and survivor and more towards minimising interaction to the bare minimum. That means it's more effective for survivors to smash gens so the game is over before they get chased / hooked / killed instead of actually delaying the killer and for the killer it's more effective to eliminate one person early on and then steamroll the rest.

This is one of the reasons why we see even more slowdown than a few years back. Because survivors don't try to outlast the killer anymore but to outspeed them (which is a natural consequence of some of the balancing decisions the devs have made and we players pushed for).

Having strong killers in the game is not a bad thing and in that regard the devs have done a good job. Most killers are pretty good now. But the meta changes have brought with them a change in the gameplay loop, that I would prefer reverted. This however is probably not going to happen because for that, they'd need to make extensive changes to survivors and revert some map reworks that arguably made them more fair as well.

• drsoontm
    Options

Indeed, I should have used the past tense. Sometimes my native language gets in the way …

• drsoontm
    Options

The part I don't agree with are details and unimportant. The main reason I've shared this video is because I expect a lot of "veterans" might agree or at least be interested. As for the newer players, it may make them think.

The main part is the skill ceiling of course. And in a way it's a surprise because intuitively I'd say "fair" is the best thing to aim for. But in hindsight, I'm convinced "fair" is sterile. This game got hugely successful being unfair. And, as frustrated as I've been with DbD over the years, I've got way more fun.

One other the thing said that resonated with me was when one of them say "why should I try to learn such or such thing when I know it may be for naught". I've felt that several times these past few months.

As a Nurse main, on the killer side, I'm very annoyed I can't be light-burnt anymore. I loved to go against opponents able to stop me like this. It was exhilarating. It was also a humbling experience because I've always been bad at flashing killers. (Before they made is so my old mother could succeed.)

These are just examples. I could write a wall about all this.

• Hexonthebeach
    Options

I'm a Baby Nurse and don't like to be blinded when I finally have a chance to reach the survivor in chase. I don't mind normal flashlight saves. But I like that they removed that blinding between a teleport even if I'm not playing Nurse at all.

I also like that they kept the blinding Zombie feature vs Nemesis.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 9
    Options

I agree with most things in this video. Space/sky Billy were just cool things and fun, which should never been removed. Invisible walls are just trash and ruin the potential fun/lower the skill of some killers and for survivor as well, when you want to get on certain things. I really dislike the balanceing in this game as a whole. Everything gets constantly nerfed and we only get useless new perks. I would prefer a chaotic game with strong stuff, which is fun much more rather than boring/stale gameplay. Then all killers have to play the same boring way. There is literally only tunneling left in this game. Constant removing of techs that weren‘t intended, instead behavior should just make them a feature. Light burn was a cool mechanic and it should have been extended. I want ranks back instead of mmr….