If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Please Address Deep Wound! It doesn't work.

Options

Hello, I wanted to give my feedback on probably something had has accrued attention before, but after years of playing since 2018, and having played multiple killers, I feel I can confidently say my five cents on this matter and bring this to the dev's consideration. I think it matters has to be reiterated as it's honestly a waste of gameplay pressure potential.

The Status effect, Deep Wound, does not work as intended. It is a very heavily abused by way of non-interaction "status effect". Per the description by the Wiki stated,

"Survivors suffering from Deep Wound are on borrowed time and will automatically enter the Dying State, after 20 seconds, unless they either Self-Mend or have other Survivors Mend them.

The Deep Wound timer is displayed to all Players as a special, yellow Health-bar displayed on the Survivor HUD.
The timer is paused whenever the affected Survivor is either running or in the process of 
Mending."

Alright, let's review this effect, as it's rather illogical when you consider it. I'm not sure how exactly the effect in question has gotten past the DBD dev team, as it's rather glaringly obvious. It's paradoxical infact, to say the least.

1. A Survivor will NEVER stop moving. Unless:

They are hiding in a locker for longer than twenty seconds, which no one does that. Anyone in a Tier past Bronze, that is. So maybe someone who plays five matches in six months at a time. Two, they will stop to MEND, overcoming twenty seconds in agonizing ease.

They go AFK. That's literally it. A Survivor must never stop moving, nor do any actions like repairing generators or lockers, which does nothing to slow them down in prevention of removing deep wound because frankly they won't do anything else but run away, and heal. I do not understand why anyone thought this was a logical design choice.

2. This timer clear isn't benefitting from anything that affects healing in any regard. So you need to slow down Healing Progress via Hemorrhage, as having 25% of however long the healing process is, is clearly insufficient. That said? Unless you somehow apply Broken, which a vast majority of Killers can't do without specific perks, which apply circumstantial effects, it becomes a question not of, "How long can I outlast Deep Wound by being afflicted with Broken", but rather, "How long can I run around until Broken wears off by never stop running until I can remove Deep Wound and heal myself."

You can't honestly expect someone to expect a Survivor to standard around and wait to drop dead. They have twenty seconds to open that Gate, not heal and escape without removing DW while someone else baits the Killer to play Chicken with them.

That does not sound logical nor fair to those utilizing the effect. And speaking from experience, with over 200 hours in the game (I have a life after all and play other games), as a Iridescent tier Killer main, I have NEVER, EVER, downed someone with Deep Wound. On ANY KILLER. PERIOD. Not even Legion, who specifies in afflicting that debuff. At this point...it simply may as well not exist, because it doesn't serve a purpose. It just knocks down AFKer's who have given up. That's it.

I'd like to also suggest the Dev Team should talk to highly-well known streamers for feedback if the words of normal players isn't recognized as gospel by this point on the matter, because frankly I watch Otzdarva often as one primary, well renowned example of someone in the Dead By Daylight community. He has frequently said the same thing in more simple words." It's a useless effect. It doesn't do anything."

His words, not mine. You can ask him yourself if you'd like to.

My two personal suggestions on what should be done? It's rather simple, to be fair.

One. Flip a switch, remove the parameters of "The timer is paused when running or in the process of Mending." Just delete that line of code. That's literally it. It will change the meta and the entire danged system at the drop of a hat with new possibilities. The problem is fixed. The Status effect becomes relevant and I can actually use the over 100+ add-ons sitting in my Loadout Stash soaked in dust. Obviously it would need to be PTB'd but that's the way these things go.

Two. Create future perks for Killers that inflict Deep Wound, this would bring forward new gameplay and appreciation for Deep Wound. Obviously it wouldn't be needed on a char like Legion, but other characters would surely benefit.

Otherwise remove it entirely and stop taunting Killers with a premises that doesn't work. That's all there is left to be said at that point. Thanks for reading my post, I hope it will be considered.

Comments

• SignedUp4PTBFeedback
    SignedUp4PTBFeedback Member Posts: 51
    Options

Yeah you need to look up the thrilling gameplay of the first iteration of Legion to understand why deep wounds works like it does now. The purpose of it right now is slowdown, annoying screen effects that can hinder looping and to prevent stacking endurance effects. It is not meant to be able to down people, and when it did, it was horrendous. Again, look up old Legion.

• TickTackBoooom
    TickTackBoooom Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 46
    Options

Comments like yours is probably why the community often gets ignored. I also wouldnt bother if I had to read through abominations of so called "feedback" like your suggestion.

You have 200hrs in the game so stop crying on the forums and get better.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 352
    Options

The point of deep wound is slowdown, not lethality. The survivor cant do gens or heal unless they mend. Therefore a deep wounded survivor must spend 12 seconds healing or die. Deep wound is not meant to down people unless they just dont get how it works. It actually used to go down while running and only stop in chase. Legion was the most broken braindead trash on release because they would hit you with their unloopable power then moonwalk and you'd just go down in 20s unless you mended on the killers face… at which point he just downed you.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,064
    edited April 9
    Options

Deep Wound is meant to waste time primarily. It's not meant to be consistently lethal. It just has the threat of lethality so you're forced to mend.

There WAS a time where it was easy to down someone with Deep Wound. It was miserable. The release version of Legion was the most hated killer in the game's entire history.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,170
    edited April 9
    Options

Deep wounds were designed to give survivors something to do with absolute high priority. Meaning, you will not sit on a gen. You will likely not heal someone else first (although it's not a big deal, if it happens) and it also takes longer for you to be healed when deep wounds are inflicted because you first need to mend.

That's all this is supposed to do. It's not meant to give the killer free downs (PTB Legion showed players that this is not a good idea) and and you're not meant to mend in the killer's face. Deep wounds also counter the Endurance effect, so if you have a medkit with a Styptic Agent, too bad. You won't get to use it while in deep wound. The same goes for DH.

By the way, you can still mend even if you're broken because mending isn't counted as a healing action and the broken status effect only stops healing actions on you. There are even ways to be healthy and broken at the same time.

To that degree deep wounds and mending work perfectly fine.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

So the problem here is the effect was changed back when Legion got released, but they never updated the tooltip. Deep Wound in its current form is meant to prevent gens/totems/healing without risking a down, not cheese someone with a hit off hook or in chase.

The other thing Deep Wound does is prevent Endurance from working (which was a foolish design mistake made back in 6.1). If someone is Deep Wounded, you can hit them knowing the only thing protecting them is a potential Mettle of Man proc, but that only can happen if you know you gave them 3 protection hits earlier in the match.

Also since you mention 200hrs since 2018, I think you've missed a lot of the important changes or ignored them. We don't use Ranks for matchmaking anymore, we use MMR. That means Iridescent/Bronze means nothing other than how much of the BP reward you get at the end of the monthly reset. There may be far more changes that you are unaware of, and if you want to inform yourself of those changes, I'd recommend skimming the patch notes over the time you've played, but even more over the times you didn't play.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,645
    edited April 9
    Options

One. Flip a switch, remove the parameters of "The timer is paused when running or in the process of Mending." Just delete that line of code. That's literally it.

That used to be in the game. The old condition for deep wound to not go down was being in terror radius.

This would result in Legion equipping Beast of Prey, a perk that grants undetectable. The survivor would eventually bleed out in 15 seconds passively resulting a free down in the chase. This was immediately changed to not go down during running.

I used to get deep wound downs with Doctor's snap out because Doctor's snap out would prioritize over mending on random occasions. if you forced snap out 2 times, you could force it implicitly. So it used to be possible to get downs with doctor. This was removed.

I think only thing I would do is make timer deplete at 3x rate when a survivor is doing an interaction. This would prevent survivors from opening exit gate and cleansing totems. Other than that the mechanic works ok. Survivor should be prioritizing deep wound and should not be able to do interactions when in deep wound.

Post edited by Devil_hit11 on
  • ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,064
    Options

I think it's kind of ironic to accuse people of being self-entitled while making a response like that.

Also, how did you never get any kills with release Legion Deep Wound. Literally all you had to do was walk backwards. That's genuinely impressive that you couldn't get that to work.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,632
    Options

So it's slowdown is completely irrelevant? The point that it requires you to spend time mending is useless?

Also the part about thinking about gameplay is interesting considering your idea of deep wounds is a free down after x seconds... That is the opposite of thinking and gameplay... Because why would you ever leave a survivor to mend if they just go down after x seconds?

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

It fulfills its intended purpose, by forcing the Survivors to slow down if they want to progress the game. It takes 12s to mend a Deep Wound, and it must be done before 20s is made towards progressing the game. As is, its perfectly fine.

As far as the terminology things I commented on, that was to help you not lose face/credibility in future discussions if you are engaging in good faith. People will dismiss you as being ignorant with false info if you say things like 'Bronze/Iri' in relation to someone's skill level or competency.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,804
    edited April 10
    Options

Might be an unpopular opinion but Deep Wounds is generally fine the way it is and doesnt need to be buffed or nerfed in any way.

• Nerfing it too much will make it a useless effect. It acts as a time waster, it delays heals. It can still be lethal in some cases since it prevents Survivors from doing actions that take a long time (e.g. The Exit Gates).
    • Buffing it too much will lead to Survivors being unfairly downed within a chase since it would be impossible to mend.

Keep it as it is.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,804
    edited April 10
    Options

(For some reason it send the same message twice, Idk how, I hope a mod will just delete this post since it should not have posted twice.)