If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Killers are carried by OP perks, go to High MMR and then demand nerfs on forum

Options
vBlossom_
vBlossom_ Member Posts: 341
edited April 13 in General Discussions

What's going on with DBD?

Killers are carried via playing broken perk combo (PR + Grim + Pop - literally every game vs Blight, Wesker, Skull Merchant, Billy) while playing strong killers. After some easy games with solo-q and "chill swfs" killer go to High MMR with very skilled swfs.

And what happens next?

Every day there are posts on forum demanding survivor nerfs because they got outplayed by skilled SWF.

Since 6.1.0:

• Medkits: nuked, all medkits are basically the same
  • COH: nuked, nobody runs this perks
  • DH: nuked and very situational
  • DS: nuked, gives little to no value even after recent buffs
  • Maps: smaller, with gens closer to each other and weaker tiles: see recent Haddon changes
  • Perks are being disabled during EGC… because idk, you don't deserve DS if you played match with 3 perks???
  • Gens take 90 seconds instead of 80.
  • Gen kick removes -5% from gens, gen tapping is no more.

Killers don't want to counter survivor strategies by using info perks, everything should be balanced around bringing 4 slowdown perks with exceptions for Nowhere to Hide / Ultimate Weapon.

Adrenaline is going to be nerfed and yet I still see demands for nerfing: Windows of Opportunity, Deja Vu, Background Player, Flashbangs… Deliverance?!

Sometimes I wonder how killers would play in old dbd in which gens aren't 90 seconds and survivors auras aren't constantly revealed by using some perks.

I'm kinda disgusted as why game should be balanced around weak killers carried by strong perks to High MMR?

What about casual players?

I remember games on 4.x.x when I would do gens, one of my teammate was dedicated to destroying totems, one run around with flashlight missing 99% of flashlight saves and one usually being on hook. And we managed to escape a lot of times.

But now survivors have to be very coordinated and yet they still can't win because strong killer is playing with strong perk combo or BHVR decides to add Undetectable, Haste and Broken status effect to killer that shouldn't have this much in basekit…

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    edited April 13
    Options

Fwiw, BHVR do seem to be aware of players carrying themselves into brackets they probably shouldn't be at. So I think they do consider this when making balance decisions. For example, Peanits (a dev) said at one point that people who feel they have to tunnel to win have likely been carried by tunnelling into an MMR bracket they don't belong in. BHVR seem to rely alot on their data, so they can probably see exactly what perks and combos get the most success and address accordingly.

I didn't agree with Adrenaline getting a nerf, purely because the survivor is 1 not guaranteed to even get value, and 2 they've spent the whole game playing with only 3 perks in hopes to get an eventual pay off. It's the same reason I'll defend NOED, as much as most people hate that perk. But I think the nerf they gave it wasn't too bad ultimately.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,804
    Options

Prove Thyself was a perk that, in my opinion, people complained about for the wrong reasons.

Yes, in imaginary hypotheticals, Survivors could complete Generators insanely quickly, but they lose the pressure of splitting Generators, which optimally, splitting Generators was generally better in most cases. Prove Thyself did have a niche use, which was completing hard to complete Generators, dealing with 3-Generator situations or popping the final Generator quickly, or focusing the main/priority Generator that the Killer would often defend.

I think the main reason why Prove Thyself was used however, was for none of that. Prove Thyself provided a +100% Bloodpoints for the Co-Op Repair Action, which made it appealing for farming Bloodpoints, since Objective can be hard to fill in SoloQ (i.e. teammates leading the Killer to your Generator, etc.), Prove Thyself let people farm BP much easier, and thus was used a lot.

In a sense, PT was more akin to old BBQ or WGLF, in which people used it more for the alternative benefit instead of it's main effect.

None of this is to say that Prove Thyself needed a nerf, in fact, Id argue the contrary, it was not a "bad" perk, nor was it "overpowered", Id consider it leaning more towards balanced perk design, just being "good" at a niche or bringing utility that some might desire.

… I know this doesnt add much to the conversation, I just miss talking about Prove Thyself. It's one of the things I miss about older DBD unironically.

Though if you want a more realistic take on this entire thread, both sides complain about pointless stuff or issues that are often a result of their own actions (or lack of actions); none of this is to say that DBD doesnt have balance issues, but I feel like there are more important aspects of the game that should be addressed but are often ignore by both sides.

Overall it can be easy to pin (insert thing) to (insert group), especially if it's for a side you have no standing in (e.g. Killer mains complaining about Survivors, Survivor mains complaining about Killers, etc.) as opposed to self reflection and analyzing nuance. This is an issue that persists for both sides, since this is an inherently flaw that can be seen through both sides.

• vBlossom_
    Options

I'm sorry that I am so entitled that I dismiss valid complaints such as "Make Deliverance turn off in endgame, because ???" or other valid complaints about Hope, Flashbang or Flashlight saves.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

OP's post seems to imply that casual players who lost to strong teams because they crutched on perks or tunneling have no right to complain when they lose

You may not like these people complaining OP, but whether their feedback should be allowed or not is up to the moderators to decide.

Also I would like to think devs aren't easily influenced by some complaints on the forums especially when it's not the only source of outreach that they have. This is not a company that just started out a few months ago and have no idea how online feedback works.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,694
    Options

I don't particularly care to comment on OP, but I wanted to call attention to your remark about "when survivor gameplay actually starts to take some skill…"

I have always preached that survivor doesn't take any skill, at least not mechanically.

But when it comes to skill expression—game sense/knowledge, macro game strategy, and general competency in outplaying one's opponent—survivor has ALWAYS required exponentially more skill than killer.

DBD is so much more a mental game than a mechanical one, that Killer would have to be near impossible to rival the skill required by survivors.

At the end of the day, a Killer has 2 responsibilities, 1) learn the limits of one killer, and 2) learn the limits of survivor. Every time a Killer plays a game, there is a 100% chance they will have an opportunity to master the skills required for each of their responsibilities.

On the other hand, Survivor mains need to learn the limits of each individual killer IN ADDITION TO learning the limits of survivor. Taking it one step further, Survivors have no control over when and with what frequency they will have the opportunity to master the limits of each killer. EVEN FURTHER, the Survivor has no control over the skill of their opponent, so the experience they take away from each killer is highly dependent on the skill expression they are able to witness in each match. Killers theoretically have this same problem, but the impact it has on skill expression relative to Survivor (over a long period of time) is so finite that it's irrelevant as a counterpoint.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 434
    edited April 13
    Options

Look i can make a big list of all killer perks been nerfed too

Call Of Brine

Overcharge

Eruption

Undying

Ruin

Corrupt

STBFL

Sloppy

Blight add-ons nerfed, Freddy nerfed, Spirit add ons nerfed, Nurse nerfed, Deathslinger nerfed

Oh yeah Borrowed Time basekit

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,402
    Options

"But when it comes to skill expression—game sense/knowledge, macro game strategy, and general competency in outplaying one's opponent—survivor has ALWAYS required exponentially more skill than killer."

I agree with everything you said genuinely. I would have disagreed with you on the quote above before the upcoming patch because I haven't seen all but a few comp players play arounds blights collision while those that would are extremely strong blight players. That killer took so much knowledge and play time that I would put it above survivor only because even the best of the best survivor mains didn't put in enough effort to learn it. Now that his skill expression has been reduced in several ways, even factoring survivor competency, I would heavily agree.

There was always the vacuum where survivors had the most amount of skill expression but with most killers having very little to learn about(taking a couple hours max to learn everything) and blight being only reachable by dedicated blight players who happened to be amazing survivors it would have been blight favored(not killer favored). Now it's for sure survivor.

Again survivor has always had more higher knowledge gap due to knowing survivor limits on top of all killers, but very very few actually knew blight to a solid enough extent.

Whatever, I'm depressed they took the worst way out with my killer(even though I main survivor for quite a while now). Polish primary collision, remove secondary collision, delete the hug tech and by extension the scoot slide(which was always 100% intentional), make him linear to play and play against while also making him clunky. Not to mention making most of his add-ons stat buffs from by far the most unique add-on set in the game even if there were 5 problematic add-ons that needed heavy changing, they end up reworking unique add-ons on the worked side into minor stats.

One more thing is that not a single blight main came close to his max potential before this skill lowering, no one. Claiming a mastery of blight before this upcoming patch would be like claiming to be perfect. I'd say max potential reached was 90%, barring a perfect ai of course.

• vBlossom_
    Options

I love it that no survivors complain about busted perks like old MoM, old DS or old We'll Make It, yet killers still think that something was taken from them with nerfing highly abusive perks.

For you COB + Overcharge + Eruption was fine?

Also let me use your justification from "nerf WoO"

As you can see here, PR and POP have almost 30% pickrate, so obviously they should be nerfed, we want to see a wide variety of perks being used, so no two games feel the same, am I right?

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 79
    Options

CoB got nerfed because of two things:

1. old SM being able to literally stall the matches with it and other perks.
    2. Eruption was in such an oppressive state with the Incapacitated status effect implemented into it. On it's own, CoB was fine.

Same as with PR+DMS and now Grim+DMS, we literally have completely wrong perks being nerfed because of their synergy with DMS, while DMS is still not being touched at all.

Regarding WoO, the massive problem with it is that it's a training wheel perk that people don't let go of and instead keep relying on it for a well known "i see yellow, i run to yellow" mindset. It's fine in it's state but, same as with old STBFL and people using it on M2 killers, it encourages people to never get better and let themselves be carried by 24/7 benefits of it instead of using it to learn the tiles and then exchange it for a better perk.

• vBlossom_
    Options

The problem is when your strategy is so good that you can't lose.

Because I think very little amount of people lose when versing Blight with PR + Pop + Grim + Aura Reading Sth when they decide to proxy-camp hook with nearby gens and tunnel. And I don't know what should I do in that game, when I try to slam gens - as someone is getting tunneled - yet still, that person died and I have 4 gens left and 3v1 because I got hit by PR, stalled down by Grim and maybe Pop from time to time :)

But maybe you know what should I do when I'm 2 man SWF with 2 randoms or 3 man SWF with one random, you can give me some perk ideas and strategies for such games, when there's strong killer with strong addons and meta perks on small map.

• vBlossom_
    Options

I kinda don't know why you care about some people not getting better in game and being reliant on just an info perk, don't know also how someone can be better in feeling where are pallets/windows and where don't.

This perk is somewhat similar to Bond which I'm playing with since the beginning.

Some of my teammates are silly goofy clumsy and with Bond (and HUD info) I see if there are being chased nearby and go straight to me with the killer or don't. Without this perk I wouldn't teach myself to do some kind of echolocation to locate my teammates, it just gives me more info. I think WoO works similarly, it can give some advantage to chain loops but without it people won't get better, they just would have to guess if next tile is safe or not.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 431
    Options

You do lose, there is no situation mediocre players "can't lose"

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 79
    Options

so far i would consider only aura reading perks and chase related perks like Enduring, Spirit Fury and Coup the Grace to be perks that "carry bad killers" because those are perks that completely remove the need for game sense on killer's part (tho killer is just handicapping themselves by taking full aura/full chase or mix of those two anyways.

But crying about Corrupt (that is literally a must for almost every killer), PR, Pop (the healthiest meta we've had in a while that rewards you for playing well in almost completely balanced way), Grim (that rewards hooking different survivors and not camping; just rework DMS so it doesn't synergize) and Surge which is already the worst slowdown perk is ridiculous. You aren't carried by those slowdown perks, you are learning the game and developing the game sense in the way where you can finally remove perks that exchange your game sense so you can finally implement slowdowns into your build.

Survivor wise, survivor players would rather take any gen speedup perk they can find rather than bring something to counter killer's meta (yes, anti-tunneling and chase related survivor builds are way better than gen speedup builds ever will be, but that's the thing only skilled survivors will understand).

• vBlossom_
    Options

also

counter killer's meta

How exactly can I counter high mobility killer with PainRes, Grim, Pop and, for example, Ultimate Weapon / Barbecue?

I'm doing gen, someone is being hooked, I'm losing 15% (someone might scream and be revealed so it's even easier for killers to track gen that is being done, but let's assume that we've stopped doing gens when someone was hooking), gen starts to regress, gets blocked by Grim for 12 seconds.

Now I can do two things.

1. Run away - gen regresses further,
    2. or start repairing gen.

In meantime killer opens the locker and I scream, so he goes straight to me and pops that gen to regress it for -5% and another -30% of current progression.

I will gladly hear how I can counter this meta :)

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 200
    Options

Calling PR and Pop the healthiest meta we've been in is definitely an opinion held only by killers who think pressing m1 twice on maps, that are now just glorified dead zones, requires any modicum of skill. Just because you're doing 1/12th of your main objective by hooking a survivor, doesn't mean you should be gifted a free 22.5 seecond AND another 25 second reversion of survivor progress. By that logic, killers shouldn't complain about flashbang denying pickups because survivors have to progress their main objective 1/10th (regression perks notwithstanding so it really ends up being 1/12th after 4 PRs), but guess what, There's a 5 page thread about just that from the past week.

In fact, in that thread, I went over how all the perks I listed give killers rewards for essentially doing nothing. So yes, killers are in fact carried by those perks.

• Valuetown
    Options

In before they just tell you to have your teammates last longer in chase against a 2000+ hour blight lol

• vBlossom_
    Options

These perks are too rewarding for just hooking a survivor, in game that - lets write this again - gens take longer time, maps are smaller, loops are weaker and a lot of aura reading perks for doing nothing (unless you write that "hurr durr it's not nothing, killer must open the locker to reveal your aura!!!!") were introduced.

• Valuetown
    Options

How about corrupt? How about lethal pursuer? That's about as free as it gets. Also, doing essentially nothing (1/12th of your main objective) does not constitute almost 50 seconds of free regression the killer gets. Assuming the chase did not last 50 seconds, the killer is getting more time back for free than they should be given. If a chase was 30 seconds, a killer gets an additional 20 seconds back.

• Karth
    Karth Member Posts: 101
    edited April 13
    Options

This is why i try to keep things causual, game is 5 billion times more enjoyable than to have to sweat

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • vBlossom_
    Options

For real, I like to play from time to time against Freddy, Plaything-Pentimento combo or some weird and unexpected perks, I still don't have guaranteed escape because my 3-man SWF isn't without flaws, but at least those games are fun and there is hope till the end of the match. Those matches just feel different.

• Karth
    Karth Member Posts: 101
    Options

i DO get games that feel perfectly balanced though, where both sides fight tooth and nail with no side being the clear winner.

Sadly i can count those on 1 hand :(

This discussion has been closed.