Tunneling is good for the game and for survivors

Options

I will die on this hill btw.

Tunneling is good, it forces survivors to improve at their looping skill, i wouldn't be half the survivor i am now If i didn't get tunneled.

You also won't be tunneled as much if you can improve at looping, killers like tunneling weak links, it's smart easy pressure. If your getting tunneled your probably the weak link, or so good the killer has to prove to themselves or you they can down you, in which case you buy loads of time for your team, and if your the weak link you can improve.

Now, i know alot of people rage bc of tunneling and complain it's bad. They have a skill issue and are not willing to forcibly improve themselves at the game. If they get discouraged and uninstall or leave that's shows alot Abt them. They were never worthy of improving.

If you want to improve you will, if you get tunneled all the time you'll want to improve.

Each time a survivor gets tunneled it creates harder survivors for killers to go against.

Tunneling is ultimately incredible for the games health, i know when i first got tunneled i was like "damn, I'm never gonna let this happen again" and i improved and now killers abandon chase with me after 30 seconds and i sit on gens all match because they know I'm good.

Feel free to disagree. But you have to admit i do have a point. Tunneling creates good players

And no. This isn't bait. And no I'm not a killer main (i play both sides evenly)

EDIT: yall have made me somewhat change my mind, no longer dying on this hill.

i still think theres alot of good that CAN be had. but currently none of it is there.

Comments

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 372
    Options

I agree it makes you better at looping faster. It does not solve the real issue. That issue is you run them for 4 gens get hooked and then left on hook. The issue I have had is that I get better but I get put with others who do not. Then if I am not the one being tunneled they go down in 2 seconds. So to sum it up tunneling is fine. The real issue is lack of cohesion with other survivors.

• ember__lol
    ember__lol Member Posts: 61
    Options

Yes i fully agree, u hit the nail on it's head there. I do feel eventually you reach an mmr or whatever it's called where yk. The survs don't go down. But that's not often

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

(instead they´ll ask to buff ds cof cof)

• ember__lol
    Options

Elaborate on why please.

If forces players get better. May it be annoying rn? Yes, in a month or two players will be good enough to where it won't be a problem, then next time we get a huge influx of players it'll happen again.

• ember__lol
    Options

Still don't see why they're doing so. It only hurts weak killers. But yeah. They'll ask for nerfs and buffs bc they think perks will help them become a better looper. And yes it will, i rely on windows alot. Game knowledge and skill is what you need. You can loop a killer 5 gens perkless once you learn how to loop and counter that killer

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,762
    Options

I agree with this to a point my issue is that you die with basically no points and leaves a sour taste in my mouth and feels like a waste of time

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

At this point I say fair game

Decisive buff, no change to OTR, no change to BU+FTP, no change to Background Player and Flashbang going through walls. And survivors expect killers to adhere to a rulebook. I play both sides and I don't even care if I get tunneled as survivor, I completely understand it.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 692
    edited April 27
    Options

It's a fine startegy to use at the right moment (for example, if the Killer is behind and wants to stage a come back), but I don't think it's healthy for the game overall. Especially when it becomes too prevalent. I don't see it too often outside of the events, but I hear certain regions face it more often than others.

My main reason for disliking the strategy is that it's just not fun for the majority of the player base and it drives away the more casual players. I'd be willing to bet most Survivors want to play trials where they get to play the game they queued up for, had the chance to earn a bit of bp and pip and yes, got to interact with the Killer a fair amount. But few players enjoy being hard tunnelled out of the match at 5 gens before they've had a chance to do much of anything at all.

An online multiplayer game that fails to attract and keep casual players is at best, an extremely niche offering that will have little appeal beyond a hardcore of fans and at worst, not likely to survive for long. I think DBD would face the latter fate if it became too competitive. I don't think we have a player base that wants to sweat that hard.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,499
    Options

I think there are extremes that are not tolerable. One of them being a nurse with quad slowdown that has the fun idea to get someone out at 5 gens because "they could have still genrushed her", despite the team taking 2 minutes to get the first gen done. One could say, that the survivors where not good and deserved to loose there. Sure. Thats one viewpoint. On the other end, one has to see that this is a game. Games are consumer products. If a game sint fun for the players anymore, they will just go and play something else. This is obviously not good for the game overall.

(Luckily) Not every team is running these perks, therefore not every team should get the whip. I usually play according to the team im facing. If i see, that they want to go hardcore, Im going hardcore. If i see that they are chill or not as good, I try to play really chill and create a fun experience for everyone.

I think this is a healthy way to approach the game.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 541
    Options

We don't get any change for tunneling as long as we have hooking anyways, might as well scrap the hook altogether

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,464
    edited April 27
    Options

yeah like what are we improving for? people just want to play a game…😭also with the amount of bugs, lag, exploits, questionable killer designs with no counterplay and everything why does it even matter if you improved or not…

• Efrost
    Efrost Member Posts: 17
    Options

Tunneling does not teach anything its a strategy used to remove someone from play quickly. Its a negative experience as it makes that player wait in que to get removed or denied the chance of playing.

Its a childish viewpoint. If I want to use your logic. Then Old Keys were good for the game because it taught killers how to push survivors off of gens. And Iron Will was good for killers because it taught them now to observe their surroundings better.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,499
    Options

Agree! Hard tunneling creates a very stale experience for all players involved. 3 survivors will just do gens, therefore will not interact with the killer and dont take part in the chase apsect of the game. One survivor will only get chased, therefore having no dwontime on gens, doing totems or doing cooperative actions. They also miss out on a huge part of the experience. The killer will loose gens at a fast pace due to them not caring one bit about their macro-gameplay.

Dont get me wrong, tunneling is SOMETIMES a necessary evil if survivors become too efficient. See my previous post about hitting the limitations of a character. But tunneling at 5-3 gens remaining is just completely unnecessary.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

They have a skill issue and are not willing to forcibly improve themselves at the game. If they get discouraged and uninstall or leave that's shows alot Abt them. They were never worthy of improving.

Others have mentioned it, but its a game. Lots of people are just going to play the game occasionally, the people who dedicate a huge chunk of time to it are going to be a rarity. The idea of using a word like "worthy" or saying it shows something about another person is ridiculous.

Its also a completely one sided thing on who is expected to develop the skill. Tunneling is a strategy that any killer can pick up from the moment they first start the game. Looping is a skill that takes an incredibly long time to really master.

Finally, it makes boring games. If the killer gets looped, the others just sit sit on gens. If the killer doesn't get looped, it creates a boring 3 on 1.

• Atom7k
    Atom7k Member Posts: 224
    Options

Tunneling is a safe way to make 1 or 2 kills against swf, aside from that its noob behaviour. I will die on that hill

• Livion
    Livion Member Posts: 157
    Options

Brother... I get your point and I won't speak up about the matter but you just opened Pandora's box

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

Hear me out tho:
    Tunnelling at 5 gens should be a negative for killers. Like, giving the most hooked survivor a permanent 5% haste and 5% increase in vault speed untill they are no longer the most hooked survivor.

5% is enough for all survivors to outpace even a nurse or blight tunnelling. But its not fast enough to make tunnelling unviable

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489
    Options

You have absolutely no point. People cant get better if theyre tunneled out as they have no room to improve in such a short time span until they get downed again.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

Arinad (The guy that wrote the 200-page guide on playing Clown) has a section acknowledging that it's often necessary to tunnel due to the limitations of low-tiers

• MadDormouse
    MadDormouse Member Posts: 6
    Options

I disagree. If you tunnel, you're bad. If makes the survivor better then the reverse is true. If you tunnel that means your skill is stagnant.

• Onako
    Onako Member Posts: 66
    Options

Sorry to say this but if you have issues with DS and OTR that's more a you problem than a perk problem really

• ChaosWam
    Options

I don't wanna hear it when I try to spread hooks and multiple survivors try blocking off hook.

It's not even a win/lose thing, it's a problem regardless for both sides. If it works, it's obnoxious and delays the game against weak M1 killers. If not, it's a detriment to your fellow survivors.

• Onako
    Onako Member Posts: 66
    Options

Well maybe in a SWF stack, I've yet to see a single survivor in solo queue using OTR for blocking a hook instead of idling around until it runs out. I do not doubt that the perk is hot garbage in general tho. A necessary evil for this "oh so healthy playstyle", especially since tunneling combined with PGTW is such a commong thing these days

• ChaosWam
    Options

Ever since the patch dropped, roughly 80% of my matches has had at least one person attempting it. There were better alternatives to the tunneling thing, especially against the stronger killers who can afford to ignore the 5 second stun anyway.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

Tunneling is the best killer strategy. Unless the devs provide other ways to secure a win, it will stay that way.

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 451
    Options

I mean if you really ran the killer for 4 gens and then the killer ends the match with 1 kill, that sounds like a win to me. I assume the chase was pretty fun if it lasted that long. The only reason to consider this a loss is if you personally don't care about your teammates. 3 survivors escaped, so that is a loss for the killer regardless.

• woundcowboy
    Options

A person who only occasionally plays should expect to lose to someone who plays a lot. By your logic, survivors should expect to pick up the game and beat people who have been playing. At that point, just play a mobile slot machine game. Pure rng. In a pvp game, that’s a toxic mentality.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,082
    Options
  • Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,099
    Options

idk about you but I kinda don't like a binary game where it's either getting tunneled or playing M1 simulator. If I just want to (improve) looping I just go to some discord and go "Trapper-Wraith anyone?" - Or just any good old come shack 1v1. - Not that I do that often to begin with - but I do often hang around vc with people who do and strim in call.

Personally, in swf I like the whole process of coordination and keeping an eye on the makro game. Wouldn't get around to that a whole lot either if tunneling was good (and thus normalaand accepted as normal)

A for the weak link .... idk, someone hard tunneling the first survivor they find doesn't strike me as being a good way to identify the weak link.

• woundcowboy
    Options

Nope. Your statement about “casual” players is is exactly the thing that I’m addressing. If you’re casual, you should expect to lose to people who are better. The other factor is that a lot of here who claim to be casual are full of it. They run meta perks and are actually mad about losing, something that shouldn’t matter if they are just clowning around.

• dbdplayerabc123
    dbdplayerabc123 Member Posts: 70
    Options

I will die on the hill that you don't need to justify tunneling. Majority of the players that dislike it don't feel the need to improve in order to combat it, so they'd rather claim it's an unfair or unfun strategy that needs to be somehow removed or nerfed. Yet, it's literally the killer equivalent to SWFs that gen rush, except a SWF that gen rushes will trump over a tunneling killer any day. Holding M1 while the other guy holds W happens to counter tunneling, didn't anyone know?