If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

The new DS made this game better

Options
ImWinston
ImWinston Member Posts: 137
edited April 27 in General Discussions
  • Title

Since we received DS buff, tunneling has decreased significantly (in my surv games). Killers still achieved good results but matches were more fun and "dynamic" for both sides.

gg Devs

Note: I've never used DS since they buffed it

Comments

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,050
    Options

Tunnel in the beginning so you don't waste time on ds at the mid game.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,207
    Options

Your early game is just as important tho and its usually the start of getting the ball rolling. You set yourself up by getting rid of as many resources you can to he able to snowball later.

DS is a resource yes, how ever Id much rather get rid of 2 or 3 pallets which has a bigger impact on the whole team rather than a single perk on 1 Survivor.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,062
    Options

Placebo effect, there will be no shortage of tunneling threads around here.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

I've only had one tunnelling killer since the update, and since they were tunnelling me I havent yet seen anyone use or get value from it. My games seem the same as usual.

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 443
    Options

I havent seen any decrease in tunneling at ll. Not in my games, not in any of the streamers i follow. Ans to be honest, this was to be expected, as everyone that played before DS nref knew that DS isnt doing anything favorable for survivors.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,750
    Options

I know its early days as the update is not even a week old, but since the DS change I also have noticed a significant decrease in tunneling, too.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,120
    Options

Throw me on the pile of survivors aggressively using it against me, as I called it before.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,045
    edited April 27
    Options

As it should be. But let's take off the kiddie gloves and give it the buff it deserves. Remove the whole conspicuous actions part from it, remove deactivting during EGC, and it'll be perfect.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,045
    edited April 27
    Options

Now we're talkin!

I, for one, welcome our 7-blink Nurse overlord. Rollback so exhaustion resets during chase and we're cooking with oil.

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 433
    Options

im tunneling anyway whats 2 more secs on Ds i got slowdowns eating 60 secs of time

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,602
    Options

I'm not really noticing a difference, neither in my survivor nor my killer games

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 121
    Options

Tunneling has not changed. People have just stopped complaining because it would make them look silly because Scott Jund made a video, he was right, and suddenly the community's consensus shifted (this is a pattern, one DBD content creator says something then half of the community shifts their opinion to agree because if they dont they will look silly)

It was never a massive issue people just needed something to blame because they were bad and blaming other players is always an easy thing to do.

Because of the way everyone is now getting concerned with how bad it is to solo que survivor I'm predicting a lot more players are going to start blaming their random teammates when they lose because calling the killer a tunneler is going out of fashion.

Watch this space

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 463
    Options

Reducing one survivor early remains the most effective strategy, so tunneling will be the optimal solution depending on the situation, even if DS is buffed (the map is large and difficult to patrol, you didn't bring Gen Regression Park, etc.).

By the way, what do you mean by saying that enhanced DS will have a positive impact on the killer playing experience?

• MakeThemScream
    MakeThemScream Member Posts: 56
    Options

The only time I encountered the new DS is, when teams or high mmr players weaponize it against me. And no, I am not tunneling. Although BHVR does not provide a hook count, I keep in mind whom I hooked already and when. Sorry, the perk is not in a good state right now. "Normal" players do not even use it, it is just aggressive trolls running after me, trying me to down them again while I'm already loosing.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,805
    Options

Never tunneled before the DS changes, still dont tunnel now. It's honestly funny how not tunneling causes people to actively waste perk slots.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,197
    Options

@Firellius how is your experience? Did the DS buff change your survivor games?

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,038
    Options
  • Bloodartist
    Bloodartist Member Posts: 113
    Options

Nothing is sillier than people not capable of forming their own opinions.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 629
    Options

To all the people complaining about people being aggressive with the buffed DS, they could've been aggressive prior to the buff as well you know, they only buffed it by 2 seconds.

Besides, if they are in your face constantly then they are off generators, more pressure for you.

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894
    Options

It never was about tunneling. It's about survivors needing second chances when they're making mistakes. They actively use DS with something like OTR to troll. They love having the freedom to get outplayed.

This is what usually happens in my games. There are two ways this can go, and both result in a L so I take the path of least resistance.

Option A: After they're unhooked, they body block me from going after the rescue person. I'll usually hit them but most of the time they got OTR. IF I chase and down them... I get hit with DS. I'm a tunneler.

Option B: Same as option A, but I go after rescue person after hitting the unhook guy. Hooked guy comes back and interrupts the new chase. I down him yet again. I get hit with DS ANYWAYS! I'm a tunneler.

I play Billy... I'm getting you out of the game immediately. No sense in going after anyone other than who I originally hooked. I'll eat DS and throw the entire game to remove you.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,197
    Options
  • solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,722
    edited April 28
    Options

DS is necessary evil unfortunately. It annoying seeing a survivor running behind you with protection but what can you really do. Tunnel have definitely slowdown from what i can see so it during it job

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,170
    Options

I pledge allegiance, to the stab, of any body blocking DS user. To any survivor who in doorways stand, one Chainsaw, under hook, sacrificed, with merciless camping and tunneling for all.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,172
    Options

"So we walk eternally through the shadow realms, tunneling against evil where all others falter. May our thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on our weapons never dry, and may they never need us again."

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 526
    Options

Proximity camping seems to be much more common these days than straight up tunneling. Usually it results in a hook exchange, which imo is almost as bad as tunneling in early game.

I've been running Kindred & open handed a fair bit and I would say proximity camping is probably prevalent in about 50% of my solo queue games. I would say I only really see hard tunneling once out of every 5-6 games. I don't really consider tunneling to be a thing once you're down to 2 gens remaining.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 362
    Options

My killers have definitely been respecting the DS. It's been kinda nice, actually.

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    emetSdidnothingwrong Member Posts: 285
    edited April 30
    Options

I mean they buff an already meta perk back to what it was when it was being used by everyone so this outcome is completely expected, of course people will be aggressive with DS, why not there is no reason not to be, it's a lot of free time given to your team and costs nothing, just bring unbreakable and body-block, now no matter what the killer does his time gets wasted tunnel-wunnel or otherwise.

The same way apparently every single survivor on these forums gets tunneled every game yet I as a solo que survivor rarely get this, maybe I'm just lucky.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,189
    edited April 30
    Options

I wouldn't even call it a buffed or new DS. They just reverted the nerf from 3secs. back to 5.

And we have conspiciuous actions to keep in mind. This wasn't the case when DS was 5 secs in the past.

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 106
    Options
  • Xernoton
    edited April 30
    Options

Then why did we buff DS to begin with? If 2 seconds don't make a difference, then let's revert it to 3 seconds. Because back then I didn't have to deal with this crap. Funny how that works in both directions, huh?

A survivor that is constantly in my face is not doing gens, that is true. However, they make sure I cannot progress my objective while 2 of their team mates are still on gens. Now, what's better for survivors 3:1 or 2:0? You don't need a Ph.D in mathematics to understand that the second option is infinitely better, literally. The killer completely stops to progress their objective for as long as that survivor is still bodyblocking with DS and then loses extra time catching up to the other one again.

All while their team mates do gens. Just like old DH, this doesn't happen randomly. It happens when that survivor is about to go down but because they didn't need to use an exhaustion perk for that, it took even longer to get them in that position. When you finally down that survivor, the other 2 could have very well finished their 2 gens, so now you get a Pop / Pain Res, that does pretty much nothing as well.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,066
    Options

Overall I’d say it made things worse.

Slightly less tunneling, maybe. However significantly more hits from it when I’m actively trying not to tunnel or the survivors try and force it on me. So I’d say overall a net negative. Only way it looks positive to me is if you only play survivor.

• Ebonbane2000
    Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 150
    Options

That comparison was a little off. It's not 3:1 or 2:0; it's 3:0 (3 survivors on gens while ur chasing one) or 2:0 ( 2 survivors on gens while you chase 2).

I don't understand how you don't see the benefit of keeping 2 survivors busy instead of 1. Having two survivors in your sights (one of which will be downed pretty fast) is indeed better than chasing and downing a healthy survivor; then finding another healthy survivor to chase and down.

While it may be annoying to have to slug the unhooked while you chase down the unhooker, it's worth it to give the many who don't weaponize DS an extra chase when being tunneled.

• Xernoton
    Options

I compared the time efficiency. For a brief time the killer does not progress their objective at all. That's the 2:0 ratio. 2 survivors do gens at normal speed, while the killer chases 2 survivors without actually progressing because the one bodyblocking is protected by DS. The 3:1 ratio is 3 survivors on gens with 1 survivor in chase.

Basically, bodyblocking with DS buys 2 survivors free time to sit on gens. Frankly, there is no benefit in having 2 people off gens, if it means that your own time as a killer is wasted. Because you don't get anything out of this. Yes, the survivors progress slower. But you don't progress at all, which also means that most meta perks will not help you and when they do, then it could very well be too late.

For a Nurse, that's not a big deal. You can't bodyblock her anyway. A Blight or Hillbilly will just tunnel that survivor at that point. But against weaker killers this is very strong. They can't afford to eat the DS and they will take forever to catch up to that other survivor again. Meaning, their opportunity to get that down is gone. Now the second half of the chase starts all over again.

In any case, the killer is punished because they committed the most heinous of crimes. Spreading hooks. The solution is to tunnel right off the bat (or start tunneling that survivor, if you play a killer that can afford to lose time). This however, defeats DS's purpose as an anti tunnel perk.

There are multiple ways to fix this without nerfing DS when used correctly. My suggestion is a buff to 7 seconds (although it's not necessary), rework base kit BT so that it let's that survivor lose collision with the killer and become immune to attacks of any sort and then have DS deactivate upon taking a protection hit.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,263
    Options

The math is wrong. “How many survivors are doing generators” is the wrong question.

The correct question is “how fast is the killer progressing their objectives, compared to how fast the survivors are progressing their objectives”.

• Ebonbane2000
    Options

Okay. a slugged DS weaponizer, a survivor in chase, and 2 on gens. Compared to 3 survivors on gens while you're trying to get the 2nd hit on the 4th survivor.

Which scenario benefits the killer the most?

• Ebonbane2000
    Options

I'm all for collision removal while basekit BT is active, but many protection hits come from vicinity, not body blocking. How would these be weeded out?

• Xernoton
    Options

The 10 seconds BT mean that you can definitely get away from any of your team mates, which already prevents a protection hit from happening. If necessary, give it a map wide Bond effect for as long as it's active, to allow players to ensure they will not run into their team mates.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,040
    Options

I really, truly do not understand why anyone would complain about "weaponising" DS, I'm with OP: this is obviously a good change that will continue to make the game a little better in the long run.

"Weaponising" DS is impossible now. You never have to eat a DS that you can't avoid, you never end up stunned without either doing it consciously to get DS out of the way or making a mistake and not remembering who you hooked last. You never have to take the bait.

Weaponised DS is a non-issue. It's a relic of the past that is impossible to do in the present.