If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Opinions On Hook Denying Gameplay

Options
_Onyx_
_Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 332
edited May 1 in General Discussions

I'm curious to hear what people think about the potential that exists in a lot of maps to prevent the Killer from hooking anyone through the use of perks and comms.

This used to be a play style that Survivors in a SWF could abuse on any map, prior to the sabotage nerfs. Where they would equip No Mither, and 99 every hook so if the killer does pick them up, they can swoop in and drop it. This play style can still be abused on specific maps with an RNG on hook spawns that benefits the Survivors.

Hawkins is one of these maps. I try to keep up with Survivor channels that are popular for "bullying" and making compilations out of these moments so I'm aware of newer abusable things Survivors can potentially be doing. One such video showcased that Hawkins is a map that can be combined with perks such as No Mither, Breakout, Exponential, Flip Flop, Unbreakable and then Sabotaging hooks to make it so a Killer will never get a hook. The specifics are this:

You go up to the top of Portal Room and run right to the far corner behind the railing. The Killer has to down you and pick you up instantly to even have a chance of getting to a hook. If the RNG is bad enough, the only hook that will spawn in the area is the basement. Meaning the Killer will never make it to a hook unless they have what's known as the "backpack build". All 4 perks dedicated to carrying a Survivor around for longer than normal and getting hits on the other Survivors to extend the time and potentially get more downs, before hooking them and having more pressure straight off the hook. If the Portal Room rng is not in the Survivor favour, they can try this on the Isolation room side, by going down upstairs constantly on the side without the hook on or near the staircase, the Killer may never be able to get a hook out of it. And if neither of these options are available to the Survivors, they can try going down upstairs on the Catwalks in the rooms where the only way down is by the stairs or vaulting, and since you cannot vault while carrying, getting down a narrow staircase with Boil Over is not a great time.

Eyrie Of Crows is another map that can have a chance of providing this RNG. If the basement is in shack, then the hooks outside the building will spawn on the corners at the front and back, but on the same wall. This means once the Killer has either walked down the stairs or dropped down, the can be sabotaged. In addition, there is a spot upstairs which has a vault and a breakable wall near it, the Survivors can always go down there and the Killer will have to endure all of the perks being used against them to try and get a hook upstairs, but it will most likely be sabotaged though.

Mount Ormond Resort used to have this potential, but the addition to a hook upstairs made it so a Killer can actually get someone eventually.

Badham Preschool in the boiler room is another. If the basement is in shack, you can always go down in the middle of the boiler room and the Killer will have an awful time trying to get up the stairs and outside to a hook.

If there's other maps with potential for this, I'm sure someone knows of it. But I wanna hear what people think of this gameplay still being a viable way to play as Survivor. Making is so your opponent can never progress their objective. (The bleed out timer will become a factor if the Survivors don't do gens around this gameplay fast enough, but let's be real, they will be doing gens as well as stopping the Killer hooking). At best, in the worst rng for a Killer against these teams, they can get 1 kill through sheer force of bleeding them out. But that means they lose anyway, so it isn't a good feeling.

Do you think it should stay? Is it fine? Is it a problem that needs to be fixed?

I'm of the belief that all potential for this style of gameplay should be removed. Making it so that hooks are mandatory spawns in the upstairs areas of maps that have them. There shouldn't be areas of a map that a Survivor can go to that makes it so the Killer just wastes their time. There also shouldn't be upstairs areas that have no gameplay to them other than just going up there to get hit. It's a version of "comp corner" where you know the chase is coming to an end, so you position yourself somewhere that wastes even more of the Killers time.

EDIT: cause for concern

If this became the SWF meta, and really good players played safe with this style of gameplay, Killers would very rarely be able to get even one kill.

Let me explain further why this could be a problem if adopted by the majority of SWFs. As it is, only a handful of maps can be completely abused by this gameplay, like I said: Hawkins, Badham and Eyrie (that I know of). But if Survivors figured out a universal synergy of perks and items that allowed the majority of maps to be made abusable, then it would suddenly become a problem, right? Honestly I think that there potentially is a swf loadout that can be used to make it impossible for a Killer to ever get a hook, even a meaningful slug. And with the amount of perks that exist in the game to decrease the amount of time spent slugged (recovery perks, faster healing perks and items, endurance perks and add-ons etc) if the majority of SWFs decided that they will glue to gens, but hiding when the Killer is coming towards them before they even get close -- so they minimise the amount of time a Killer is chasing and pressuring a Survivor, and then when/if someone does go down they have perks and items and add-ons available to make it so the Killer can't hook them. I can see this being a reality at some point. With the amount of bs around the attitude about Killers short cutting their object to get kills quicker, Survivors are gonna try and stop them getting in that situation. They've already started down this path with the meta of Background Player with Flashbang/Flashlights, combined with Survivors going down in pallets on purpose when they see it's a lost cause to continue the chase (or jumping in a locker to force the Killer to pick them up out of it, locking them into the action guaranteeing the Flashbang save). And then this style of play also combined with Buckle Up and For The People too, with the potential for Boons to be used too to help the team reset if they absolutely need to. They're on the path to becoming invincible with the right minds behind it to figure it out.

Post edited by _Onyx_ on

Comments

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,668
    Options

This is so rare that it doesn't really matter, and 95% of the the time you do encounter it, you can just bleed them out unless they have no mither, but if they have no mither there is no gurantee they'll always be able to get to their unhookable spot since they can't be healthy and take hit on the way there.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Do you think it should stay? Is it fine? Is it a problem that needs to be fixed?

The potential to rescue a survivor before they get hooked is an important part of the game. If survivors could never stop a hook from happening, why even have hooks?

The situation you lay out is incredibly rare, requires a 4 person SWF to be going out of there way to get it, and they still need to be able to get to one of the sweet spots on the map to pull this off. Given the massive weakness No Mither has as a perk, the fact that it can be situationally strong is not a problem.

Making it so that hooks are mandatory spawns in the upstairs areas of maps that have them.

That some maps could use a few adjustments is a far different thing than overall gameplay.

• _Onyx_
    Options

So, your mindset is "frequency of occurrence determines the degree of the issue"? That makes sense, I can see that. But the fact it can happen, surely could be cause for concern, no?

Dear lord, yeah that was a glaring issue that had to go lol that was due to it consistently being horrendous for the Killer to play around it. No rng, just pure bs.

• _Onyx_
    Options

Survivors can still prevent hooks from happening. This example of the gameplay being centred around that is the point. Body blocks, pallet saves, light saves, sabotaging, all of it would still be available to Survivors if the Devs clamped down on the 'abusable' 'single minded' approach to that gameplay.

I disagree that it needs to be a 4 man SWF in order for this to work. All it takes is a duo at least, and the other randoms being competent at the game to not give the Killer free pressure when they're the ones being focused, in order to get value out of this gameplay.

When it comes to hooks being added to certain elevations and areas of the map being a different topic, I disagree there too. It goes hand in hand with the topic, since the points I raised wouldn't be points for discussion if there wasn't a way for Survivors to force a situation where they can't be hooked. If a hook spawned at the top of Portal Room, the Survivors couldn't use it as an area to force the grasp escape.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,668
    edited April 28
    Options

as long as there is no spot that is truly unhookable without any hook RNG to it like the old RPD library its not really an issue. For a team to exploit it they have to have a very specific build, use a map offering, and get good map RNG to be able to do it and then on top of that they have to not make ANY mistakes. If they make even a single mistake while no mither is equipped they're getting hooked. If they don't have no mither there is no problem because they can be bled out. The number of unlikely events that have to occur for you to have to face the scenario just means its not having a significant negative impact on the game.

And very rarely is it truly uncounterable in its current state. Even if a team of 4 no mithers finds a spot where they can't be hooked and manages to sit in it, you can eventually bleed them out by downing them over and over again, and if they try to leave it to do generators that gives you an opportunity to hook them before they reach their spot again, the main problem of the scenario is that its boring and time consuming, but because its so rare, it generally doesn't need any changes other than maybe the occasional map adjustment if a spot where its too easy to do pops up.

• _Onyx_
    Options

But making it so RNG isn't a factor anymore would prevent this gameplay altogether. There are strategies you can do with No Mither that makes you harder to Kill even if you do get hooked. You gain access to Dead Hard. So, in a prepared team, you could have 4 No Mither's, 4 Dead Hards and then a mix of Exponential, Flip Flop, Breakout and Resilience. Cover all exits as it were.

Also, bleeding players out is extremely boring. It's the Survivor equivalent of the gen stalling gameplay Knight and Skull Merchant used to do.

I see your points, they're valid arguments. But even so, the fact they added the hook upstairs in Ormond makes me think the Devs recognise when something can be abused. Hawkins can be abused. Badham can be abused.

Uncounterable should mean "I'm stopping this play from happening and it's allowing me to win or get momentum leading to a potential win." Can you class bleeding the whole team out as a win? I don't even know if bleed outs rank up a players MMR.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

I think the playstyle itself is fine. Very rarely have I seen anyone actually pull it off against me, even with map offerings if you know what you are doing it takes a significant amount of skill and planning to get sabotages against a killer that is expecting it. That said, there are some parts of hook spawn RNG that just suck and need to be fixed.

I think if hooks respawned when 1 survivor is remaining, for example, a lot of abuse at the end of the game out of spite would be gone. And fixing/reworking hook distance calculation to not just consider "crow flies" distance, like when hills are involved or buildings like badham.

• _Onyx_
    Options

You're right about the sabotages to a degree. Alex's Toolbox plus Resilience is a guaranteed sabo. If good teams do this gameplay, you aren't gonna get anyone at all. You see them heading to their spot, you leave them alone. When you leave them, they ain't gonna stay there, they'll head back into the map and do a gen. The gameplay of denying hooks only really starts up when the Killer is chasing someone. It isn't like every killer has the luxury of stealth either. And stealth means very little against a SWF on comms.

What would respawning broken hooks when you've either already won or lost do? Would stop the griefing from a pissed off Killer you mean?

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

Respawing broken hooks when 1 survivor is left stops someone from just dying in a corner you've killed their team in. Maybe it's just a me thing but I see a few matches where there's one guy left and they're not going to escape, so they run to whatever corner most of the gameplay is happening in, and sometimes because of that I've sacrificed one or multiple survivors there, so there is no hooks and I have to wait the bleedout timer which is boring. This issue is exacerbated by the fact that there are places on maps where you can ONLY reach one hook, which is dumb (if you could reach 2 hooks from any area, sabo would be nerfed significantly even in main buildings)

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,850
    Options

Survivors can fight to deny hooks in the same way Killers can fight to deny unhooks.

• _Onyx_
    Options

Yeah, that's something I've wanted for a while too. Except I wanted them to respawn during the match itself. Maybe like 2mins after they break.

True, but this is an example where they aren't just fighting to deny the hook, they're guaranteed to deny the hook.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,008
    edited April 29
    Options

I once got a No Mither duo with Head on + Boil Over sending themselves to dead dawg. After a few failed attempts to hook, I just slugged and re-downed them whenever they got up until they bled out. I let the other two Survivors go.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Not sure why some maps still have the potential for this. People who play like this are just asking to be slugged.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,410
    Options

There should never be scenarios where it's very easy to guarantee that the killer can't hook. Sabotage as a mechanic is fine, and having to sometimes drop a survivor due to successful sabotage is fine. But the edge cases on certain maps like old RPD Library or that one top corner in Eyrie where denying the hook is guaranteed and you are forced to slug no matter what, should not be a thing.

A lot of it can probably be solved by just reworking Boil Over and getting rid of its wiggle bonus when the killer drops from a height. Boil Over really only works if you are specifically doing this playstyle as survivor, or if the killer has trouble going through a doorway or something, which is not really interactive or interesting gameplay. And outside of those situations it is not even a good perk.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Hook denying is a valid strat, but it should never be strong enough that it's consistent on every map/scenario solo or without multiple bodyblocks.

• Bagginses420
    Bagginses420 Member Posts: 83
    Options

The whole point of survivors is to survive. In a real life event, would this be possible? I mean, couldn't there possibly be a fault or weakness in the killer's plan? Not everything would or could play out to either one's favor. And wit a lot of the comments agreeing that this "abuse" is so rare, and I think bc many still aren't aware, that as killer, just learn to work around that. I SURVIVOR main and didn't know this, but that's probably bc I am usually solo. Not often do I swf and with comms. And I don't entirely understand it all, the struggle, bc I survivor main. But this doesn't seem like an issue worth fixing unless all the sudden people (survivors) decided to only play swf +comms.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

You don't need comms or a swf to fly in with bgp and save someone with negative risk to the player attempting it

• Bagginses420
    Bagginses420 Member Posts: 83
    Options

Killer having trouble getting through doorway???

Bc the wiggle of the survivor??

You think in real life it would be so easy?? Lol.

Some of these killers seem to want it easy.

I'm a survivor and I ain't going down, or letting anyone else go down, without a fight and a plan to survive. I think if it was real life, some people just get saved that way. And it's as rare(maybe not so much now after this post) as these occurrences in the map. Not every time a killer attacks a team, will he kill everyone.

In my eyes, good always wins. Or at least provides a good fight. Maybe it's just my gameplay. I don't always escape but I'm usually top survivor.

Every game is different. Some easier than others, some faster than others. Each one a lesson. Each one an opportunity to learn this very thing that has been found.

Idk man... I just feel like maybe there is something you haven't noticed or learned yet as killer that can find a loop for this rare occasion. I feel like I bet you can discover a way to beat ish.

Im going to attempt to see this, the build and offering, but as a survivor, I will say, nothing is more enjoyable to me than the unexpected. I don't setting up and planning against killer that way. It's not realistic to me. So I purposely try to stay oblivious to topics like this hahaha.

I love this game and the more the unexpected the more fun I have. Lol

• _Onyx_
    Options

This argument is strange. DBD has been so far from realism since it's released.

The response of "it's rare to see" doesn't really hold weight imo; because it could very well become a common play style if everyone realises how busted it is.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 359
    Options

OrOrmond Was pretty awful too, but that relied on hill RNG and the window vacuum tech. Thankfully I ran into that only one time,

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

I think it's a strategy. And one that doesn't always pay off.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

Especially when someone writes up an essay on exactly how to do it. I feel this lends to things… happening in the game. But maybe it wont? I feel this is why tunneling took off suddenly as the only way to play from beginning of the trial. Maybe it did.

Ah well, too late now. Hopefully this has your desired effect and makes this not become a thing.

• _Onyx_
    Options

Players are always going to discover ways to win in the quickest or easiest ways consistently. This could be one of those things, it's exclusive to 3 maps at the moment, but I don't doubt for a second SWF content creators would definitely try to expand this to try and make it viable.

There's video on YouTube showcasing this play style. Me on the forums talking about how it could be a problem wouldn't be the catalyst in seeing it more and more. If it is then oops. But ideally the more people do see it, the more the Devs have to pay attention to it, one would hope.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,061
    Options

Those groups almost always run anti slug perks for this. Unbreakable, Exponential ect.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

IMO, one of the core, fundamental issues with DBD is that it's so easy to grief people (it is possible to design a game in such a way that it's hard to grief people, but I don't think they were thinking about that early on). So, because it's easy to grief people, there are always a bunch of game mechanics that are fine as long as everyone plays normally, but horrible on occasions where somebody loads in with bad intentions.

I think trying to get rid of dead corners on the maps is a good solution. For the chain body-blocking, I kind of feel like killers should get a buff if literally all of the survivors are right next to them.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 431
    Options

Hell, hook depletion mechanics is outdated and shouldn't even be a thing

• Princeharlequinhq
    Princeharlequinhq Member Posts: 60
    Options

Its annoying but typically squads like this are easy to deal with because you just slug them out. Find the assigned gen jockey, keep them on the floor, and it will be frustrating but you shouldn't lose if you are able to do that. The rest typically are completely built around denying hooks so you should be able to down the rest and win.

Should it exist? No.

Will BHVR do anything about it? Probably not for a while, if ever.