If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

The DBD Board Game: Anyone tried it?

Options
UndeddJester
UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,159
edited July 2023 in General Discussions

I wanted to put this in an appropriate forum section... but doesn't feel right in off topic, and none of the other groups makes much sense either... so hopefully this thread doesn't get moved?

In any case, has anyone tried the board game for Dead By Daylight by Level 99 Games?

I've been pretty damned impressed with it, especially with how it is really quite easy to pick up and play, and that it captures the feel of DBD really nicely. It's also surprisingly fast to set up and games conclude fast, so it certainly doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I love the mind games on both sides trying to work out what everyone is gonna do and set your movement accordingly before seeing how everyone moves. Seeing the survivors stop in a space you've targetted and holding your poker face while they foolishly decide to try to work on the gen, before your devilish reveal of just how screwed they are. 😈🤘

Thus far I've played Trapper twice, Wraith and Hag... and I fondly remember the moment this game truly impressed me...

For context on my first Trapper game, I ran to a corner to try and defend a gen that summarily got crit repaired in my face... only for the game to spiral out of my hands, and it was only the end game where I locked down gates where I clawed it back, but still lost by a comfortable margin.

On my second game I said screw it to the outer gens, and gave up on them immediately, focusing instead on getting my traps all around the centre of the board.... and locking down and patrolling key paths... and God did that work so much better.... JUST LIKE THE REAL TRAPPER! I only lost after I managed to grab wounded survivors 3 times, only to flub my skill check roll over and over on a one move carry to hook (extremely unlucky, 1 in 186 of failing all 3!)... but any single success and victory was mine... it made for such intense end game... 😅

The fact the board game captured Trapper's game plan so perfectly, and how my other games as Wraith and Hag maintain the feel of those characters surprisingly well... I have to say I heartily recommend it... it's really cool, and I've been annoying my board games group everytime we meet by subtly hinting at throwing it out again xD

Sadly I missed the kickstarter and couldn't get the Collectors Edition. I watch the L99 Webstore constantly for new stock, but no avail thus far... hopefully the bring an expansion out with all the CE stuff at some point... but seriously, if you like board games give it a go... for £40-£50 it's a bargain!

Post edited by UndeddJester on

Comments

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    edited July 2023
    Options

As a board game guy, I've often thought about picking it up, but never pulled the trigger. This might be the push I need.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

As a big boardgamer myself I’ve been tempted to pull the trigger on this too.

Although I already have Don’t Look Back.

Which is a fantastic game that fills a similar niche.

It’s table top so it’s a lil more free form. Worth checking out if you are a horror game fan.

• UndeddJester
    edited July 2023
    Options

For any other degenrates like myself that hard-core simp for minis... the minis are fricking amazing too 🤘😁🤘

My only complaint is the survivors have little holes in their back... they are there so when you hook them, you can actually put them on the little hooks you get in the CE... which is so cool.... but with the base game they are a constant reminder I can't buy a copy of the CE without paying double the price on ebay 😖

L99 have said they may well be stocking the CE in future, I did ask if all of the CE was KS exclusive and never to be released separately, and they stated they may still stock it... also their recent survey did suggest they were considering an expansion to DBD... so hope isn't totally lost on getting Huntress, Oni, and the rest of the non license cast!

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited July 2023
    Options

We have the Collectors Edition, with all the killers through Trickster and the extra miniatures, and we love the game. We started with the base retail edition that I got from my son for Father's Day, and loved even that version so much that we went ahead and spent more than I ever have on a board game and found a Collector's Edition (sealed) online.

Off topic, but we also bought the little Scream game from Funko that just came out, and that's also a fun, very quick, game.

Already plan to get the Halloween (1978) and Texas Chainsaw Massacre board games, and the associated miniature packs, from Trick-or-Treat Studios when they release.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,849
    Options

I love board games. I bought the collector’s edition of the DBD board game which has very original character up to Trickster and Yun Jin. The game is very fun and I have cousins that played it with me (also board game lovers), they don’t even play DBD and they enjoyed it. Definitely recommend.

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 270
    Options

I have the CE, but sadly haven't had the chance to play it with my friends yet because they keep wanting to play my other board games.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,547
    Options

Mine hasn't even been opened lol I have no one who wants to play it with me

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,975
    Options

That is a mood. Ima mtg and yugioh need, no one wants to play those with me until I go see my cousins, and those rascals are terrible at those games

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Ohhh my friend ordered it. She lives a ways away and we were supposed to playbit on a road trip but it didn't arrive in time. 😭 wanna play it so bad it looks really good

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Wooaaahhh! Haven’t seen you on here in forevvs!!!

Happy you’re still alive n at it with these super fun board games; hopefully still killing it on DBD, as well!

Thanks for the off topic mentions, btw; totally turned us on to some awesome new BG options to enjoy🥳✌🏽

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,400
    Options

Yes, my friend bought and all 5 of us play together once in a while. It's fun. First game I won as blight by the skin of my teeth, but only because we didn't yet know you couldn't hit the same survivor in one round.

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 4,527
    Options

I would live to get my hands on a copy of it one day if solely to paint/mod the minis! Sadly I don't have local board game friends, so I couldn't justify the purchase at the time, but I'd love to mod the gen pieces especially to look like past event gens (especially the Summer BBQ event gens)! And if I do eventually get local friends to throw down on the board... even better!

• UndeddJester
    edited July 2023
    Options

I haven't seen that in the rulebook... dont suppose you have a page reference?

If you correctly guess a survivor will stop in a space and you move there and use wait, surely you deserve to be rewarded accordingly.... if you burn 4 tokens for a bonus turn to do it, not only do you need the right cards left in your hand, but it costs you A LOT of resources...

I can't see how the Killer is meant to keep up if you can't hit the same survivor twice in a turn? Seems like an unnecessary punishment for great prediction imo 🤔

• Sava18
    Options

It's been a couple months sense we have played but we definitely read it several times. Also I wasn't the one reading them directly but the board owner was reading aloud.

I was literally hitting someone and then blight powering back for a down.

• UndeddJester
    edited July 2023
    Options

Ah you are right, page 15.

Pick Up - A Wounded Survivor:

If the survivor is wounded, the Killer picks them up. Then, the Killer attempts to sacrifice them.

The Killer cannot pick up a survivor that was wounded this round.

Seems I missed that one... seems rough to keep up for Trapper in that case... though maybe this is also on brand 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Sava18
    Options

Yeah, once we figured that out we changed it by killer. Like blight wouldn't be able to but others could.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,849
    Options

I'd love to see a live play of it. If NRB put it on their channel, that would be an instant watch.

• UndeddJester
    Options

To anyone wanting the CE!!!!!!

I just got an e-mail, IT'S IN STOCK NOW for a limited time!

Put my order in! GO GO GO!

• UndeddJester
    Options

Just a public service announcement!

Anyone who wants a copy of the Collectors Edition, level99 has it IN STOCK NOW!!

It may not be available much longer, as I believe these are left over from Kickstarter, so if you were thinking of grabbing one, they are available as a limited supply:

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 658
    Options

Wait, it ALREADY released?

• UndeddJester
    Options

Yeap, Kickstarter shipment was in April, stock was in stores end of June 🤘

The Collectors Edition is pretty hefty at £125, plus shipping. However you can pick up the Standard Edition for about £45 from most places, usually with pretty cheap or even free shipping.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

I was going to order one, but it requires 3 players and I only know one person who plays board games lmao

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,849
    Options

With the way the board game is, it is technically possible to play with just 2, but one person will need to play as 4 survivors at once which could get overwhelming.

• MrCrowBard
    MrCrowBard Member Posts: 38
    Options

£200 including shipping and tax. Ouch! That's hard to justify. Hopefully somewhere in the UK gets copies to sell.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

That's interesting. I might give it another look.

Thanks 👍️

• UndeddJester
    Options

Yeah sadly L99 is a US based store. Sadly they're still a pretty small company so haven't branched out to have a European distributer yet.

To give you an exact cost, its

• £103.00 for the CE
    • £27.00 in tax
    • £32.00 in shipping to the UK

Total: £162.00

They have said they'll only be supplying via their Web store, and they have said they MAY stock it in future.... but their current stock is left iver from the Kickstarter

So yeah, that'sthe risk you run... but that's the exact amount you're looking at it you want a copy.

Assuming no additional charges when it arrives in the UK ofc...

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,019
    Options

Anyone who has the CE version, do the extra killers and whatnot change the game? I'd assume yes but that would really suck to feel "forced" to pay more than double for that to get the full game, especially since it seems like your only option is that (no like..."DLC" boardgame to add to the base edition).

• UndeddJester
    Options

Every single Killer has a unique power, with varying degrees of complexity, so having extra killers in the roster from the CE inherently mixes up the game. All the killers I've tried have had their powers translated pretty well, and play quite differently.

Also:

In basic mode every single killer/survivor has unique perks to them. So you get more variety in survivor perks and team compositions.

In advanced mode, all perks from all characters can be drafted, so you get more variety from the CE for both killer and survivor.

In expert mode you can all specifically craft your builds for both sides, so having the CE can be pretty nutty...

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,019
    Options

Good to know that it is actually worth the extra cash (assuming one can afford it...which I can't 😭)

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    edited April 30
    Options

Sorry for digging up this thread.

Ive played about 10 games with friends. Well, alot of early games we misplayed the rules. But do you think the game is fair? To my pov, its quite survivors sided.

given in a most luckiest case. Survivors can complete 2 Gens before killer can make the first move. Some survivors’ perks work really well with other perks to create multiple extra moves.

How many game did you play? And what was the win rate on killers? We only had 1 win on killer

We played:

1 Trapper

2 Hillbilly

1 Nurse

1 Doctor

2 Plague

1 Spirit

1 Oni

• UndeddJester
    edited April 30
    Options

All good! Would you believe seeing this thread again makes me very happy... I might try and get some games going of DBD more...

I've played about 7 games, and I have to admit survivors have won 6-1, so I do think killer is definitely harder, you have to play very cagey and aren't afforded many mistakes. If the Survivors play to win, its very hard to stop them. Knowing when to give up a gen is veeeery important.

I've played mostly Trapper (3) and Hag (2), Hillbilly once and Nurse once I think was the other...

I not sure how much of that is up to my inexperience with the game though. Usually my second time playing the killer has gone WAAAAAY better, so I think there's a degree of figuring each killer out. My later games have been much closer, and actually I SHOULD have won another of those games but I rolled a fail on a 1 space carry to hook 3 times in a row with 1 hook state left to go 🤣

If you're finding killer too tough though, the good thing about board games is you can try house rules. Some things you could try: -

• Limit survivors to 2 perks and have the killer choose an extra perk.
    • Increase all bloodpoint gains for killer by 1.
    • Have survivors roll on the danger dice instead of the regular dice when doing skillchecks if the killer is in an adjacent tile (to simulate their terror radius).

Hopefully one (or multiple) of these should even out the playing field some!

As an aside they're releasing an expansion!

https://www.level99store.com/products/malicious?shpxid=303f7087-0397-4106-b409-bf86054e417c

• C3Tooth
    edited April 30
    Options

On game 8 (Hill billy), we had a really close game. Killer made 2 great mistake (wasted 8 BP for nothing because they mis-remember their 2nd movement card), at the same time, Survivors missed like 10 skill check giving 10 extra BP for killer, so I would say the mistakes trade were fair.

On game 9, a Gen was completed before killer's turn. This happens quite often if survivors are lucky enough.

I feel the problem lied on survivors making 4 moves before killers, after killer moves, survivor makes another 4 moves. I dont want the game rule changed too far away anyway.

We do have house rules gonna added to the game. I find the game is quite balance if killers know what to do, so I dont buff killers too much. Just soften abit on survivors' first round is all they need.

I just create myself "Killer Offering" that they can pick 1 of these into a game. 1 time use. Again, the goal is to soften survivors' first round. nothing much.

What catch you interested in the most?

• UndeddJester
    Options

I like that idea a lot.

They all make a decent deck for a killer to pick from actually. I'd probably take the streamers myself more often than not. 4 Bps at the right moment could be huge... but they're all good.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 543
    Options

I play it every once in a while while drinking with friends. It’s a very fun way to interact with DBD that’s not just the actual game. Still waiting for a Huntress movie tho 😩 🤞

• C3Tooth
    Options

I just found out that in the perk decks, its missing a perk from each character, turned out each character has their purple unique perks that only available to the exact characters.

And the purple perk seems pretty bad on its own. But it works extremely well with the power. I think I and friends totally missed about this. Definitely our killer games will be improved alot when combined this new info with our new Offering rule.

• UndeddJester
    Options

😲 today I learned...

Survivors have them too, I guess for flavour I suppose, make the choice of character meaningful 🤔

• C3Tooth
    Options

Yes, their purple perks are the strongest (on survivor side). Making playing specific survivor meaningful.

On killer, Brutal strength (move a survivor along any path after a hit sounds pretty bad for 2 BP). But it works like this:

Trapper 1st movement is move to [Center] and hit Dwight to injured. Then you use Brutal strength to move Dwight to [West]. Because Dwight goes pass the trap, he has to roll Danger Dice. If he fail, you instantly gain 1 hook count.

Stridor (An injured survivor must show their movement card before planning phase)

Using Stridor, Dwight shows you he's going to [West]. You first move is to [East]. interact with your power to move to [Center], then second move you move to [West] to hook him. There is no escape, unless he has to use pallet or locker.

Mind blown.