Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

LMAO Distortion. I almost played a game as Perkless Huntress.

OmegaXII
OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,189
edited May 1 in General Discussions

I knew Distortion is quite common nowadays, so that's why I also brought Gearhead to hopefully burn through all the stacks.

But guessed what, it was a map of Hawkins, and I only saw the Auras THREE TIMES in the entire game. Both of them were Claudette, so I was forced to tunnel her out.

So here comes the question. Isn't Distortion a little bit too strong? Three of my perks get denied by a single Survivor perk, just like that.

PS: I kinda hate slowdown perks, so I always go for perks that provide information. But if that information can be denied this easily, it really does make sense why every Killer goes for Slowdown perks :(

Edit: I got 4k because Survivors really didn't play well. This is the prove that I'm literally a trash Huntress.

Post edited by OmegaXII on

Comments

• OmegaXII
    edited May 1

Couldn't it just be Survivors didn't played well? I'm literally a trash Huntress who can't hit anyone when they 360 me :(

It's just that a single perk from Survivor can deny my entire build, which kinda sucks to be honest. And like I say, I don't like slowdown perks, so what should I bring? Agitation Brutal Strength Enduring Spirit Fury? Could work for me since I'm trash Huntress player LOL.

Edit: The prove that I'm trash Huntress. 1k Hour playtime, and this is it LOL.

• Brix
    Brix Member Posts: 129

i find if funny how Distortion gets teammates tunneled

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited May 1

"This is a false equivalency because distortion DOES run out. "

No, no it does not. That is just false. You'd have to be stacking like 4 aura perks to even have it ever run out and even in that scenario it's still blocking like 90% of them.

"Just like how mindbreaker applies exhaustion, the effect does run out"

Now that, is a false equivalency. They are not even remotely comparable. You'd be lucky if Mindbreaking blocked even 40% of Exhaustions from going off.

" If you only bring lethal, sure you'll have been countered by distortion, but distortion is now useless for the survivor too."

This is disingenuous. You could bring even 3 aura perks and it not run out. You're heavily downplaying how many auras Distortion can block without running out.

"I have and always will say that lightborn in its current state is poor
    game design and is more like what you're talking about. It eliminates an
    entire mechanic and reveals survivor auras that attempt to blind you.
    Unlike distortion that can be dealt with, lightborn simply nullifies
    blinds and has no counter."

I would change Lightborn as well if you want to go that direction. I'd also argue Background Player with Flashbang is uncounterable as well though and is the only real reason we are seeing Lightborn used at all. If hypothetically Background Player and Flashbang didn't exist as they currently do no one would be using Lightborn outside of newer players.

• Blueberry
    edited May 1

"is it fine that killers can slap on 4 aura perks and know where survivors are like 80% of the time? No, that isn't fine. "

Well firstly, even with 4 aura perks, 80% of the time is an extreme exaggeration and not reality. Even 30% would be extremely generous. I think you need to look at the duration of how long aura perks reveal. However ignoring that hyperbole, is 4 stacked aura perks fine? Absolutely it is. I would always rather a killer run 4 aura perks instead of 4 slow down perks. If a killer is stacking 4 aura perks your gens should be flying. You are ignoring how much of a cost it is to run 4 aura perks and not run gen slow down.

"If survivors bring distortion and you're not bringing aura perks, it's
    also a wasted perk slot for the survivors the whole round. So your
    argument doesn't mean anything."

I didn't say overpowered, I said unhealthy. You are conflating the two when they aren't the same. If this is your rational as well, then you should also be fine with a killer perk that 100% turns off all Exhaustion perks, but I know you won't be.

"If I get a plague when running a full healing build, I'm basicly
    perkless the entire round because I can't heal puked on survivors or
    myself. Shall I have the chance to change my perks ingame when I see a
    plague? No, that would be ridiculous. So is nerfing distortion because
    it counters aura reading perks."

You're conflating two things that aren't the same again. A killer power turning perks off and a perk turning perks off are not the same.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 306

A killer power turning perks off and perks turning perks off are only different in spirit because the devs told you they should be considered that way. There is fundamentally no difference in the two when a survivor encounters them. You could consider the killer ability a 5th "perk," because the killer had to equip that specific killer and will change their play style to get value out of the power. Killer powers also shouldn't destroy entire game mechanics, not unless they're willing to provide more flexibility in other aspects of the game when the specific killer is in play.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    edited May 1

80% of the time is a stretch, and yes its fair because they're dedicating their whole build to just info. bringing distortion is one perk that counters that whole build while being nearly totally unearned.

a killer power countering perk is different from a perk countering a perk.

• killer powers are the core of their gameplay, perks are additions to supplement a playstyle.
    • killer powers typically have built in counterplay, unlike a variety of perks
    • perks are much weaker than a power individually.

so to say that plague countering healing is the same as distortion countering aura builds isnt the same. Plague has to infect you (which isnt hard, but neither is cleansing) while distortion has to exist for value (as long as they bring auras). One perk should not be able to counter 4 perks total.

• Sunflower_Mage
    Sunflower_Mage Member Posts: 34

I think what some people don't realize is that of the four survivors, one didn't bring distortion. That is kind of a big deal. As they got tunneled out of the game because there was no other auras to read. That survivor got screwed over by their teammates who did bring that perk.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359

I never thought I would find a connection between DBD and natural selection but here we are

• Sunflower_Mage
    Sunflower_Mage Member Posts: 34

True. And if you think about it, Distortion really is binary in terms of team comp. Where either everyone has it or only person does. As I would bet having even 2 teammates without it is still a recipe for getting those survivors tunneled out.

• Blueberry

"Distortion has charges. It can and does frequently run out, even with 2 aura read perks. So it is not "just false" lol."

No, it does not. That just simply isn't true.

"Mindbreaker prevents most lithe players from using it when they want to.
    Mindbreaker prevents most dead hard players from using it when they
    want to. Mindbreaker prevents most overcome players from using it when
    they want to."

No, it does not. A few seconds of walking is extremely doable to remove mid chase unless the survivor is just bad.

• Blueberry

They are fundamentally different, not just in spirit. Those killers are balanced around the fact that they turn off those mechanics.

• Blueberry

That is actually another good point we haven't brought up. It does encourage tunneling.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

If you don't like Distortion then run Whispers… it gives information without showing auras

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,420

Comparing an aura build to a gen slowdown build is doing nothing for the argument, one way or another. There is no counter to gen regression. If a killer brings a regression build, Survivors better know how to loop or they're pretty much DoA.

I can see how you feel Distortion unhealthy. But Distortion = Lightborn, mostly. Lightborn is a smidge stronger, but they're pretty much on par. LB stops survivors from doing the one thing they can to save their mate from being hooked. You saying it is better related to nullifying all exhaustion perks is over reaching. Lightborn shuts down all sources of Blind, 100%. Distortion shuts down all sources of Aura reading, often but not 100%. Big distinction. Removing all exhaustion perks is not at all equivalent to Distortion or Lightborn. Its just straight up over powered and suits your needs, so you type it. If you really believe this, you're simply out of touch with the game.

Finally, "You're conflating two things that aren't the same again. (← You've been doing that this whole time also, btw) A killer power turning off a perk and a perk turning perks off are not the same thing.

Sigh. Yes, yes it is. If a perk gets nullified or disabled by anything other than the perk itself, it's still the same result. Killer power doesn't just get a free pass because its a killer power. If something turns something else off, it should be looked at and asked "Is this over or underpowered?" Source shouldn't matter imo. Though I'd like opinions on this take. I'm not 100% I convinced myself of this. Need more input. Thanks!

• Valuetown

This anecdote essentially means nothing because maybe most killers you're playing against aren't running aura read at all, considering 4 slowdown is the current meta. Just because you personally don't run out doesn't mean other people have the same experience.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896

DH is FAR from nerfed into the ground and MFT got a well deserved requirement for a powerful effect. Distortion most of the time only enforces the idea for the killer to camp/tunnel because on average I find distortion users to just immerse most of the match whenever they hear a hint of terror radius. Distortion also supplies information like if the killer has I'm all Ears, Lethal or BBQ. And the very small requirement of being in a terror radius to recharge stacks…. It's so wide spread that killers that want to use aura reading just really can't because 2/4 survivor run a perk that actively COUNTERS 80+ aura reading addons/perks.

The perk is just plain overtuned. Move the requirement to get tokens back to chase time instead of incentivizing immersing inside a terror radius or hell make it start with 0 stacks.

• Valuetown

Yes it does run out. Saying "simply not true" when there is video evidence all over youtube that distortion runs out of charges doesn't magically make your argument true.

As for mindbreaker, yes it is very easy to 99 your exhaustion. But your average survivor player has no idea how to do that. I agree that it is a survivor skill issue, but at the same point, complaining about distortion is also a killer skill issue. Either you were running one aura read as an afterthought and distortion is doing its job by countering a perk, you were running 4 slowdown and you have no idea distortion is being run at all, or you're running 2 or more aura read and distortion works for half the match because tokens get consumed.

• Valuetown

No they aren't. Killers are balanced around their abilities because the devs consider them to be separate from perks. If they considered them the same as perks, mobility killers would not be as strong as they are now.

• OmegaXII

If a killer is bad at chasing or catching a survivor, 4 aura perks also means nothing. It's literally the same.

The only difference is gen slowdown perks won't be countered, but aura can, easily.

• vBlossom_
    vBlossom_ Member Posts: 386

I kinda hate slowdown perks, so I always go for perks that provide information. But if that information can be denied this easily, it really does make sense why every Killer goes for Slowdown perks :(

And it should be looked into, like, imagine survivors stacking Lithe on top of DH on top of Head On, it would be too oppressive.

Time for BHVR to introduce some kind of "Exhaustion" for gen regression or aura reading, because those perks are strong on its own (just like all exhaustion perks), but combined could be very oppressive.

• Blueberry
    edited May 1

"There is no counter to gen regression. If a killer brings a regression
    build, Survivors better know how to loop or they're pretty much DoA."

There is a counter and you stated it. It's get good at the game. It doesn't require an item or perk, it's literally just learning how to loop and extend chases. Saying learn how to loop or you're DoA is like saying if you aren't good at the game you lose. Yes, if you aren't good at the game you lose.

"I can see how you feel Distortion unhealthy. But Distortion = Lightborn"

Yes, and as I stated earlier I feel the same way about Lightborn. I'd change Lightborn too. That said, making this direct comparison isn't quite the same. Lightborn is countering Background Player and Flashbang which currently also have no counters. That's basically the only reason you're seeing Lightborn right now. If those two perks didn't exist in their current uncounterable state no one would be using Lightborn other than new or bad players. Your whole argument here only makes since if I didn't think Lightborn was designed bad and I was okay with it, but I'm not. Both should be changed. Trying to argue Distortion is okay because Lightborn exists as it does is whataboutism.

"Distortion shuts down all sources of Aura reading, often but not 100%"

The only time it's not 100% is when you're getting to 3 aura perks at least, many times 4. Even if you do break it with 3 it's still blocking like 90% of them.

"Removing all exhaustion perks is not at all equivalent to Distortion or
    Lightborn. Its just straight up over powered and suits your needs, so
    you type it. If you really believe this, you're simply out of touch with
    the game."

You're assuming intent behind my statements when you're wrong about it. I highly doubt I'm out of touch with the game when I'm creeping towards 11,000 hours invested and play this game weekly on both sides way more than a full time job. Instead of being condescending towards me about that statement, actually give me a reason why I'm wrong instead.

"Finally, "You're conflating two things that aren't the same again. (← You've been doing that this whole time also, btw) A killer power turning off a perk and a perk turning perks off are not the same thing."

No, I am not. I'm comparing things that are alike.

"Sigh. Yes, yes it is. If a perk gets nullified or disabled by anything other than the perk itself, it's still the same result"

Looking at just the result being the same and not what it takes to get that result isn't an accurate way of looking at it. That's like looking at kills or escapes in dbd and ignoring how the game arrived there. It's a flawed metric to look at blindly.

"Killer power doesn't just get a free pass because its a killer power. If
    something turns something else off, it should be looked at and asked
    "Is this over or underpowered?" Source shouldn't matter imo. Though I'd
    like opinions on this take. I'm not 100% I convinced myself of this.
    Need more input. Thanks!"

It's not just getting a free pass because it's a killer power. Over or underpowered is being looked at, hence why I said those things being shut off are factored into their balance. IE plague shuts healing off but is balanced around that because even though she has everyone exposed and can't heal she has zero power and is just a basic m1 during that. Hence why most stay broken and pump gens because she is so loopable in that state.

• OmegaXII

What are you even saying… using Lethal to tunnel at 5 gens?? How is that possible??

Are you saying that getting into chase quickly from the start is actually tunnelling? What? I didn't even hooked anyone yet, so how can I tunnel someone?

• OmegaXII

I wanna reply to you with the comment above.. not sure why it didn't work

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 282

Just because it is used often, does not mean it is strong. For example, perks like Windows and Self Care are not strong but run a lot (way more than dead hard) because they complement certain playstyles, and many players run DH because it is fun. Similar to killers running Lethal pursuer over corrupt, this does not mean Lethal is better than corrupt, in fact it is objectively worse if you know spawns, but it is more fun to start off knowing where to get into a chase, so it is used very often. Similarly, getting proper DH timing is fun and it is the only perk in the game that truly acts as a "parry" and has the highest skill ceiling of almost any perk to use.

Hell, if you look at the official developer stats, Bond is run just as often as Dead Hard, and Dead Hard also saw an increase in usage after its changes that were objective nerfs (once per hook state).

• Blueberry

"Yes it does run out. Saying "simply not true" when there is video
    evidence all over youtube that distortion runs out of charges doesn't
    magically make your argument true."

There's video evidence all over youtube proving you wrong here.

"As for mindbreaker, yes it is very easy to 99 your exhaustion. But your
    average survivor player has no idea how to do that. I agree that it is a
    survivor skill issue, but at the same point, complaining about
    distortion is also a killer skill issue."

99'ing Exhaustion literally is skill related as you said, so we should balanced around bad players? In what way is Distortion turning off all aura perks a skill issue? There is no skill involved, it just turns perks off.

"Either you were running one aura read as an afterthought and distortion
    is doing its job by countering a perk, you were running 4 slowdown and
    you have no idea distortion is being run at all, or you're running 2 or
    more aura read and distortion works for half the match because tokens
    get consumed."

If you were running 4 aura read perks you would know Distortion was being run…it doesn't instantly deplete the tokens, you'd see all the aura reads not showing up. This is implying a killer can't tell when survivors are running Distortion…which it's extremely apparent when they are.

• Blueberry

If they weren't balanced around that then Plague for example would be getting extra buffs. Part of her strength she's balanced for is around the fact she turns healing off.

What's wrong with mobility killers? Are you implying they don't take mobility killers into account for perks?

• OmegaXII

That's not exactly a fair comparison.

Exhaustion perks are all very powerful that if they gets activated, you'll usually gain a huge distance away from killer, or even escape the chase just like that.

Whereas aura perks itself doesn't really doing anything like that. It only helps you find someone faster, so you still have to win the chase to actually benefit from it. Also, I thought Survivors like chases, not gen simulator..?

I'm not entirely sure about the gen slowdowns, but I don't think it's a good idea considering all my games went quite fast without any slowdown perks. Sometimes I genuinely feel there's no way for me to win the game without slowdown perks (No tunnel, 12 hooks)