You Can't Weaponise DS

Options
jesterkind
jesterkind Member Posts: 7,111

I've seen a fair amount of discussion around the forums lately about whether or not survivors weaponising DS is a problem, or how to fix the problem of survivors weaponising DS, and rather than toss a response out into the sea of answers in a thread that isn't really about what I have to say anyway, I figured I'd make my own post.

My problem with these threads is that the central claim is rarely examined, so let's do that here. Can survivors currently weaponise DS?

No.

They can certainly try, they can run directly into your face and start trying to bodyblock, but they can't actually force it anymore. The best they can do is try and make themselves enticing bait, but it's always on the killer to fall for it, and the killer can always avoid eating the DS.

If you're in this position, the counterplay is extremely simple: Ignore them. If they're in a tight doorway, hit them, then ignore them. That's it. Weaponising DS no longer exists.

Worst case scenario you're slugging one survivor and chasing a second, which is obviously more in your favour than if that first survivor went to go do generators somewhere- and that's the worst case scenario.

Comments

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 446
    Options

I agree people are overblowing this "issue".

So a person with DS bodyblocks you and wants you to eat it. Who cares? They are wasting time waving their butt in your face, you can slug them (they are wasting time), or just power through it like nothing, if you have the right killer for it.

• jesterkind
    Options

1: Sure, but in the scenario you're describing where the survivor willingly runs over to get downed, it's a safe bet they have the perk that makes that not a terrible idea.

2: It's "some" distance but it's not that much distance, it's only a protection hit. They could definitely have made it to a new tile depending on circumstances, but in that scenario the extra time investment you put into that chase is being rewarded proportionately with extra damage to the survivor team's efficiency. You put a little more time into that chase → Two survivors are occupied instead of one.

It may be what they want but that doesn't mean it's actually all that good for them.

• jesterkind
    Options

What?

No, we already laid out that killers who aren't intending to tunnel aren't being harmed by this. They can flat out ignore the slugged survivor and it still breaks in their favour, not the survivor's.

It's not a lose-lose scenario. One of the scenarios - slug the survivor and chase someone else - is a win scenario. It used to be lose-lose when survivors could do objectives in your face, but not anymore. Now you have a win scenario to pick.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,248
    edited May 3
    Options

It is not detrimental to them. The shear fact that they choose to do it proves this. It is a net positive for them to do so. Them getting slugged is worth the hits blocked from the person you were trying to go for.

• jesterkind
    Options

DS doesn't actually improve your bodyblocking, through. You still need the Endurance not to get downed when you take the hit, and if you do take the hit, there is nothing forcing the killer to pick you up and eat your DS. If you're just bodyblocking, you get downed, and the killer slugs you, DS is doing nothing in that scenario.

I could see that locker example being annoying, I'll give you that.

• jesterkind
    Options

How?

Survivors choose to do things that throws the match all the time, most of the time because it's just more fun than playing it safe and doing the most optimal thing.

So, how is them getting slugged worth it? What do they gain out of this?

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,372
    edited May 3
    Options

I mean more than likely a survivors doing this with those perks because it gives them more value. And multiple of them can run this to do it over and over. And it's not like if you don't force the perks out they can't just do it on their next unhook. So your best bet is slug them. Make them pick themselves up with unbreakable. Or eat the DS. So you remove a perk from being threatened again. How's that fun for the survivor. Or why would the killer want to do that if they are trying to play fair. Their options are slug someone. (Survivors hate that) or tunnel them forcefully (hate that to)

• jesterkind
    Options

No, the counterplay is to ignore them, or to slug them in the few cases where they can bodyblock tight doorways.

That is far more to your benefit than hard tunnelling them through the tools designed to make that take more time.

• jesterkind
    edited May 3
    Options

I mean, sure, but why would you chase someone with DS to the edge of the map? You only even bother to hit them if you absolutely have to, otherwise you ignore them.

Unless that's just meant to be an example of slugging not being to your benefit, which granted, but that logic doesn't apply to the situation we're talking about.

EDIT: Whoops, misread who this was responding to. Still!

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Slugging a Survivor NEVER hurts a Killer. What the #########?

Those are mental gymnastics at its finest. Not doing Gens is always good for the Killer, no exceptions. Or how do you twist that a Survivor on the ground (willingly or not) is better than a Survivor NOT on the ground?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,084
    edited May 3
    Options

I agree, just wanted to chime in and add i'd even go as far as predicting 3 survs not on gens. Because often that 2nd surv is in trouble which will pull a 3rd surv off their gen to help the downed teammate. The survs have now almost completely had their objective progress stonewalled, and its possible that its not progressing at all if the 4th surv isn't even on one.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Exactly. And if you add to this that the Survivors might not be on Comms, you can also imagine that multiple people try to pick that Survivor up. (Since not even Kindred would work in this case)

• Blueberry
    Options

Survivors in high mmr and 4 man swf aren’t doing it for the funsies, there’s a reason. They do it to deny a PR proc, GE proc, delay a Pop activation, protect someone else that is on death hook ect. All things that provide more value than them going down, of which very often also run Unbreakable to remove the downside anyway.

• jesterkind
    Options

You don't really need those perks to proc if you're occupying two survivors with the same chase, and as for Unbreakable, I think it's even more to my benefit if I'm getting survivors to waste two potentially high-impact perks for no real benefit.

A survivor on the ground may be less good for you than a survivor on the hook, but it's still significantly better than a survivor up and doing gens, which is what this outcome needs to be compared to.

The absolute best I can say for this argument is that there may be some slight back-and-forth even though it still breaks in your favour ultimately. That's kinda it. You're trading a perk proc for a different kind of value.

• jesterkind
    Options

In that scenario, you would continue to chase the unhooker, who is as far away as a survivor can get with a protection hit. Not nothing, but not terribly game-swinging either in most scenarios.

Your ultimate goal is to ignore that survivor. You hit them only when it cannot be avoided. Ignore them and they'll keep running around after you to try and force perk value, which is impossible now, so they're just wasting their own time. Exactly like flashlight squads.

• jesterkind
    Options

If the end result if them attempting to weaponise it is that it harms them, does that really count as weaponising it?

Maybe that's a pedantic nitpick with language choice, but idk, it feels like a pretty meaningful element to me.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,257
    Options
    • DS Should be reverted
    • DS doesn't need to disable killer powers
    • DS/OTR isn't that strong
    • It's not bad to weaponize DS
    • You cannot weaponize DS <
    • DS isn't ran that much
    • DS needs buffs

We are here on the list I see.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,330
    Options

No, the counterplay is to tunnel survivors off the hook. Remember that not every survivor uses DS, and over the course of many games, the time saved by tunneling survivors that don't have DS, makes up for the time lost by tunneling survivors that have DS. Also, if a survivor does have DS, it's best to just attack them immediately, to stop whatever DS combo they might want to do.

Also, if you honestly think my strategy is bad, then you should be happy that I'm doing this strategy, because it means that, according to you, I'm worse off doing this, which is a benefit to the survivors I'm playing against.

• Blueberry
    edited May 3
    Options

You’re focusing on overall value rather than second to second value. Yes getting unbreakables out of the way and pressuring two survivors at once is great but the reason to do this is buying precious seconds to finish popping a gen right before they can hit it with that PR or right before they can get there with a Pop kick ect. It isn’t always about overall value. That isn’t two wasted perk slots.

Sometimes two cups of water now, is worth more than two gallons an hour from now even though a gallon is objectively better.

• jesterkind
    Options

Tunnelling survivors off the hook means chewing through their layers of anti-tunnel, one of which - DS - is now quite powerful. You then, at the end of this, have occupied one survivor for an additional hook state.

Ignoring the survivor trying to weaponise DS means you don't have to chew through their anti-tunnel layers, at most only having to hit their Endurance once if they block a doorway, and at the end of it you've occupied two survivors.

In terms of progressing your objective and slowing down the survivor objective, ignoring the survivor is the better choice.

Why would I care about the survivors you're playing against…? I'm speaking from the killer perspective here, pretty obviously.

• jesterkind
    Options

Yes, correct, the overall value is the part that matters. The overall value here is much higher because you're occupying multiple survivors, which both slows down the survivor objective and puts you in a better position to progress yours.

They might pop that one generator. That's about all they're getting with so much of their team occupied, though. One generator doesn't matter unless it's the fifth, and even then you've got time.

• jesterkind
    Options

Their time is the one being wasted, not the killer's.

Again, don't compare this situation to how long that chase would take without bodyblocking. That's not the thing you need to compare this to. Don't even look at the chase time, frankly.

Ask this, instead: How much repair time would the survivors get with three on generators instead of two? How much better is it for the survivor team to let the unhooked survivor heal and reset, instead of them chasing the killer around to add a few seconds to their chase with someone else?

It's not weaponising DS because the end result for the survivor team is often worse than if they'd just treated DS as a defensive tool. Even the best case scenario is an extremely marginal benefit with downsides.

• Blueberry
    Options

You’re severely downplaying how important that second to second value is. Getting that one gen done at that moment before all the regression can activate can be worth a lot more than you’re realizing, even when it’s not the 5th gen. That could be the break of their 3 gen and now their final 3 are on opposite sides of the map. Overall value is not always more important than second to second value. Realizing this would change your entire stance on this topic.

• jesterkind
    Options

I mean, sure, any slight extension in chase can be a big deal in the right circumstances, but I don't see how that really affects the overall point here.

It's also worth mentioning that none of what you're describing has absolutely anything to do with DS. The slight extension to chase we're talking about comes from Endurance, not DS, because the only thing DS is doing is compelling that survivor to run around behind the killer like a headless chicken.

You can absolutely weaponise Endurance. You cannot weaponise DS.