If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Do you think the hatch and keys need changes?

Options
OneGoodBoyDemo
OneGoodBoyDemo Member Posts: 393

It is undeniable that the old hatch and key mechanics from the prehistoric DBD era were broken and definitely needed changes but I still don't like the way they were nerfed into oblivion.

Yes, I know that the hatch is an easier way to end the game since it is impossible for the last survivor to finish the remaining generators alone but there's no denying that this change made keys and their add-ons wasteful.

The fact that we have 3 items (2 not counting the green key) and various add-ons that aren't very useful for a completely specific situation doesn't seem right. The keys have no meaning anymore in a trial because if you lose you won't use them and if you win you won't use them either so what's the reason for them to exist? current keys and addons are waste of BP.

If the Tomes are still going to have challenges of escaping through the hatch, there should be a way to do this without the survivor throwing the game away.

A suggestion I made a while ago is that the hatch should appear when the 5 generators are completed and that it could only open with a key at a time since only survivors carrying keys could escape through it.

Honestly I don't think this change would be a big deal as it would be rewarding survivors for completing the objective but the hatch offerings needs to go so that survivors have to look for it at least.

Some people may use the argument that End-game builds exist but let's be honest no one really uses them and 99% of the time blood warden is useless and if you are going to use this build and see that the survivors have keys in the lobby you can go to the next one and if someone finds a key in the match while you have this build it was purely luck.

This change may give a little hope to someone who found a key in the game.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,408
    Options

I would at least like to see the green key have a use on its own since a green key without addons that you pull from a chest is a completely worthless item and that feels awful when you loot a chest only to get an item that has no use whatsoever. Some of the key addons for aura reading could also be revisited, Blood Amber is strong but some of the other ones are a bit lacking and could get a buff or rework. Maybe all keys could have some other minor function on their own without addons (such as some aura-reading ability that is just a part of the item and not tied to an addon).

I don't really think the hatch should be buffed in any way though, it is fine the way it is. It helps the last survivor in a trial have a better chance to escape in order to help bring the game to an end (otherwise they'd have no incentive not to stall and hide, not like they can really finish multiple generators on their own), and that's fine. I don't feel that the hatch needs to be anything more than that. Even just allowing it to appear once the generators are completed still counters endgame builds which, while rare, do exist and should not be completely denied by a single item.

(And regarding tome challenges that require hatch escapes, or worse, hatch escape with a key specifically, those should just not really exist imo. They heavily encourage throwing games and would be better off just being removed and replaced with a different challenge.)

TL;DR: Yes keys should be buffed, just not for hatch-related purposes.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

Remove purple & red key variation.

Key only have 1 version: Broken key, with build-in ability to see teammates' aura for 20sec.

+ Dull blade addon that allow to instantly open a chest, then lost the addon.

+ Skeleton blade addon that allow to open hatch, or instantly open a chest, then lost the addon.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,212
    Options

Doing the remaining gens isnt impossible.

Its more tedious and risky than "hiding to wait for that other hiding survivor to die first and jump in the shortcut hatch" Especially if the second to last survivor instantly ragequits on the hook.

While useless items should be reworked, i dont think hatch needs to be made easier.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,629
    Options

Nah, it would not only make better endgame perks like no way out more useless but it would also put the killer in the situation to also take care of hatch and not only the gates...

They should just gives keys some completely new function and either keep hatch as it is or remove it completely.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,331
    edited May 7
    Options

I think Keys should get their Aura Read-ability improved. The Hatch is fine as it is, it is enough if Keys have a very niche interaction with the Hatch.

But I think improving on the Aura Read-ability on Keys would make them more popular, even tho they will probably never be as popular as Medkits or Toolboxes (because those are more useful) or Flashlights (because those are more fun to use). But it would basically mean that Maps can be used to track everything in the environment while Keys can be used to track everything player-related.

I would also reduce the number of Bloodweb-Clutter for Keys (in general, for many Items). E.g. you dont need 3 Keys nowadays. You also dont need duplicates (e.g. the 24m Survivor Aura Read and the 48m Survivor Aura Read, nobody will be using the former).

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 356
    Options

Hot take:

• The Aura reading of Keys is a fairly powerful tool you can use.

• The only useless add-ons are the Milky Glass, Weaved Ring and Unique Wedding Ring

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 954
    edited May 7
    Options

The least-intrusive way I can think of hatch being added during a win-scenario for survivors (without needed communication) is:

Hatch also appears (closed) once both Exit Gates have been opened (not powered).

And Blood Warden also gains the effect:

• During this effect the Hatch is closed (if open), and blocked.

Just having hatch appear when gens are completed potentially removes a lot of gameplay regarding the Exit Gates as its providing an escape option prior to the "main path" escape option.

By further restricting it to both Exit Gates being opened, you introduce an additional requirement past the "main path" escape option, requiring additional effort, but potentially allowing a larger selection of positional options after an escape option has been given. Perhaps introducing situational gameplay during the end-game camp scenario, and/or giving survivors going for a challenge a "guaranteed" method of spawning hatch without need for communication to other players that they need to leave.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,924
    Options

I'd love for green keys to be refunded honestly. As for Keys in general, they need more uses and a gameplay update of sorts.