Why does the hype for the new chapter seem to be quite low?

AggressiveFTW
AggressiveFTW Member Posts: 1,081

I'm not familiar with the game DND or the characters. Vecna is the most mentioned character from there that people think is going to be the killer. Is that one of the reasons why the hype seem to be quite low?

Is the character's power in the game lame or?

Comments

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
    edited May 13

Was thinking about this earlier, seems completely flat and there are a few reasons. DnD isn't at all popular with the DBD community. I've literally never seen it asked for or wanted in comment sections on any forums. Licences that everyone seem to want are the likes of ST, Reseident Evil, Silent Hill, Last of us etc etc, DnD wouldn't be in the top 50 most wanted colabs imo, so the lack of hype is with this being a left field addition. A lot of people wanted stranger things Vecna who imo looks like the Temu equivalent of Freddy. So there is a feel of resentment that a trendy show is having a character overlooked by something less popular.

I don't know much about Vecna, but given he's some kind of Sage/Godlike wizard, he does tick a few unique boxes, although I do liken him a lot to someone like Pinhead.

Hopefully this chapter has a very fun/unique/groundbreaking mechanic which propells this chapter forward, if not, it might not be a very well received one.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 418
    edited May 13

Could easily be one of my most anticipated chapters I couldn't wait to buy, but won't be.

Haven't played D&D in a long while (sadly). When I still did, I loved the Ravenloft setting because I was never into generic fantasy. For those not familiar with D&D, it's D&D's Gothic horror setting. If the new chapter was connected to Ravenloft, that would be gorgeous. If it was Vecna, they'd probably have had a chance, Vecna once was a Darklord of the domain of Cavitius (but I think he escaped the mists or so). The new D&D Vecna material dropping soon (which is probably why Vecna is rumored) also seems to partially play in Ravenloft, at least that's what I get from a quick research.

So if the map was Cavitius and the survivor maybe a Vistani, I'd be the best they could push out for me. However, the lore will most likely refer to the more popular Forgotten Realms and the survivor is also more likely to be a well-known character from that setting even though Ravenloft would be such a better match for DbD's theme - the better known stuff will win, sadly.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,186

So far, the only thing that has been revealed is that it is D&D related but everybody and their mother knew it was not only going to be D&D, it's presumed to be Vecna

So the trailer didn't reveal anything that we haven't already known for weeks.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,199

It's best not to get hyped or you risk disappointment.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,686

Because this damn rubberbanding is making the game so bad to play that I'm struggling to care about anything DbD related.

Also I don't like D&D.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,417

We don't know enough about it. There's so much to take from D&D that we can't possibly narrow it down just on a teaser alone.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

I would be very hyped for Nightmare rework/changes on roadmap.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,485

Hard to get hyped over not knowing much about it. There's a lot of named BBEGs the devs could pull from which would easily make solid killers, but idk what the devs would do for the survivor if there's a survivor with the chapter.

Plus I expect the perks to simulate rolling dice for their effects (think of Dramaturgy from Nic Cage having random good and bad effects) so they are bound to be either a hit or miss.

Plus personally I haven't really played in many published adventures compared to homebrew campaigns and run a homebrew campaign myself. So it's harder to get hyped over named characters from D&D when most of my D&D experience is people making up their own things.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,942

Because a lot of people don’t know much about D&D (myself included). Some people don’t see it as horror either… even though it does have horror elements. Personally I’ll probably skip it myself.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 498

I’m excited and I know nothing about dnd.i mean it has to be better than the last two trash anniversary chapters…right?😭

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,770

I don’t think that D&D being not that well known/liked by the DbD community is the biggest factor here.

Chapters have been less and less anticipated for quite a while now. And I think he content they bring is the problem. Survivors are just skins and mostly bring forgettable perks anyways, killers also often bring forgettable perks or those similar to old ones and the powers at this point are also too same-y to existing ones.

We need bigger gameplay changes that affect all matches IMO. (And i have been making suggestion for this kinda stuff for years now, still have plenty ideas but let’s face it - there is a bigger chance of me creating my own asymm game than BHVR considering implementing stuff that I suggest so I won’t bother anymore)

NOT just new perk classes like invocations (though the direction I do like) and also probably not only just new survivor items (that should come soon as well!!) but something to make chases more dynamic? Breakable walls were an attempt but kinda failed.‘ and since then nothing really changed..

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489

Cause, devs dont do good work. Easy as that.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,560

What if the chapter isnt Dungeons and Dragons... but instead its just a collection similar to AoT or Iron Maiden where theres a sort of mini "event" for them.

DnD has a lot of potential dont get me wrong, but as some have already mentioned its sort of an odd addition to be an anniversary chapter as basically no one was asking for it.

• Mooks

I think they have confirmed somewhere it is indeed the chapter and not just a cosmetic collection (maybe some interview with Cote last week?)

• Mooks
  • Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489
  • 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 932

Because dbd is gonna be dbd, no amount of new content can change that

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,817

Because we barely know anything about it. No gameplay-related details have been revealed.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,790

I won't lie I don't think anything could've gotten me excited outside of Try To Fall Asleep, but that game hasn't even been finished yet let alone stand a chance of being an anniversary licence. After Year 8's nonstop barrage of new content and the game managing to become more and more stale monotonous and boring over the time period, it just makes me think that endlessly pumping out new content isn't what the game needs right now. I genuinely hope they reveal on the anniversary that chapter prices are doubling and they're only releasing 2 of them this year, one for anniversary and one for Halloween. Every other patch will be to fix issues the game has and that's honestly my dream at the moment.

Plus, Wizards of the Coast and Hazboro are awful, awful companies and I despise the thought of supporting them monetarily.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,907

I missed the memo. Next chapter will be licensed and related to D&D?

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,167
    edited May 13

Well... tbh the big issue is, D&D has always had a bit of a PR issue... and recently even the fans of D&D have a bit of PR nightmare. D&D IS an awesome license for DBD, and I'm excited for it, but it's kinda hard to ignore the current PR issues surrounding it.

The way it tends to be presented in media a lot of the time is as a complicated maths and rules heavy game for reclusive and awkward nerds, who spend most of the game rules lawyering dumb little technicalities at each other. Even Stranger Things does a really bad job of presenting D&D, it just looks lame and dweeby... it was only in season 4 when they actually started to present it at least somewhat like how it actually is (if you ignore some stuff)... and how it is actually pretty cool.

So you obviously have that problem... those who dont know D&D obviously won't have that much hype... however D&D had a big surge in popularity recent years thanks to the likes of Dimension 20 and Critical Role, so while there may not be that many people who know D&D in the DBD community, there is not a shortage... and there is no shortage of content that fits very well into the DBD world.

However the other major thing working against D&D, is even for those who are fans of it, the owners of D&D (Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro) have recently tried to severely limit user content and change the licensing agreement.

Obviously D&D lives on the creativity of its players, but despite that they tried to basically capitalise on the success of any podcasts and content creators sharing their campaigns as web series or whatever by forcing them to pay percentage of their revenue for using the D&D ruleset and monsters... even though the rest of the campaign is completely the fabrication and creative skill of the dungeon master.

They have also taken away a lot of customer friendly features from services like D&D beyond, and started making it so players can no longer buy discounted portions of rulesets from different book in line with their needs, and then get that value back if they then buy the whole book... to instead only being able to buy the whole book. So now instead of spending $1.25 on a specific monster you want for your campaign, you now have to spend $30 for the book it's in, even if that's the only one.

A lot of this is currently still ongoing, and so many awesome shows have basically had to drop D&D completely to keep their stories going, which has just been a headache for everyone involved. So you now have an issue where a lot of the D&D community who would have loved this crossover are still pretty sore at the D&D owners right now... and a lot of reaction from the owners doesn't seem to have any intent to nurture any good will with its player base....

So while D&D is an awesome license for DBD... you have a mix of bad public perception for people who don't know D&D, and a current lack of good will from the people who do...

EDT: Personally I'm glad to see the crossover, the potential value to DBD is collosal... but I do hope Hasbro and WotC are bleeding money a bit and this crossover is them starting to consider untying the locks on their content to third parties.... I do hope BHVR managed to get the stronger end of the deal... 😏

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,535

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm excited for it. I'm not hyped up though cos I honestly know nothing about DnD lol so I dunno what to get hyped up for, I have no expectations.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,167
    edited May 13

<oops misclick, can this double post be deleted please?>

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 521
    1. WotC sucks like for all the ish I give BHVR they're not openly malicious like WotC is sending hired thugs to people's houses over leaks.
    2. If we had to get a WotC license Magic would have been more hype getting Elesh Norn or something.
    3. It's hard to be excited with all the rampant bugs and cheaters lately and the chance to chapter will bring even more bugs with it.
    4. Meta is a bit stale regardless of whatever the chapter is.

All that being said I'm doing my best to be open minded and hope the stream tomorrow can surprise me.

• WhoSoup
    WhoSoup Member Posts: 172

Personally, I'm very disappointed to see anything to do with Wizards of the Coast.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
  • BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 336

There are two major reasons Im not excited for the new chapter. One was that this last mid-chapter was so boring and bad that it really killed my enjoyment of the game altogether. Twins is still boring twins, bugs and rubberbanding, and just bad matches. As for the other reason Im just not familiar with DND. I never played it or knew anything about it. The closest exp I have with DND is playing BG3 for like 5 hours and that it.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,765

D&D (or DnD as they now prefer) is very popular and I've been playing it for over 35 years, but its never been a great license. DnD is much more of a toolkit for how to play a game. While there are 'official' D&D characters and stories, no one really uses those. Most people use the system to create their own stories. Even if they do use an official story, the important characters are still the players.

So there's nothing like Laurie or Myers for players to be excited about. I'm actually curious what type of characters they'll pull together for survivor and killer. There are tons of options, but nothing that really clearly stands out. There have been lots of Dungeons and Dragons licenses, but I don't think it really translates into sales.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,320

For me personally: I've been playing since 2018. You can only get hyped for so many perk shuffles and new chapters. The only things that would really get me hyped at this point have more to do with survivor matchmaking and a ranked mode. The new content will be good or bad. Many bugs will come with it. Some random changes will come out of left field from the PTB. The cycle goes on.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

probably unrelated, but most people dnd online that i've played with anymore that i know do it.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons for nearly 10 years now. I've been a Dungeon Master through all of it, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about Vecna.

I watch Critical Role. I watch Stranger Things. I have Vecna cards in Magic the Gathering.

Doesn't matter… I still don't know a single thing about him, thats not how Dungeons & Dragons works.

I don't really know how to explain this issue other than saying that everyone plays Dungeons & Dragons differently. I could play Dungeons & Dragons for another 50 years and still know nothing about Vecna.

Difficult to get excited about the prospect of Vecna as a killer, when I don't know what that means, even as a fan of the game.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 559

There does not seem to be much synergy between the fan base of PvP games and horror works and that of TRPGs, but perhaps they think that this collaboration will bring about some changes.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,303
    edited May 14

I don't know ######### about most of the lore but I'm aware of some specific things that are keeping me optimistic and bordering somewhat excited. I am keeping myself in check though.

The thing with D&D is the world and characters could do anything. It's really up to BHVR's ability to deliver on the IP with this one.

With most people though I imagine they have no idea what to even expect with this license. It's not as straight forward as very angry man with machete kills idiot trespassing on their sacred swamp.

• Princesse_nico
    Princesse_nico Member Posts: 140

Most new killers are boring loop or chase oriented. Nothing very different or exciting.

I wish more rng like pig, trapper, cenobite etc

• Mooks

yeah, it’s been confirmed last week with a teaser video

also, there was an interview with Mathieu Cote where he confirmed it is indeed the chapter and not just a cosmetic collection I think. Haven’t seen the interview myself though.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 699

Wotc sucks, but Konami is already in the room so I guess I'm letting consumerism win this time.

DnD has a lot of potential, and I'm mostly just excited for something new. Getting a dark fantasy chapter is welcome, and I hope the power, perks, and map deliver on the opportunities afforded to the devs.

Regardless, we'll see soon.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 4,041

I'd be hyped if the map is some sort of dungeon.

Just imagine exploring an abandoned cave, dark and mysterious.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,636

not to give you false hope

but i find the borgo lighting overhaul very suspiciously timed

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 4,041

No worries. Im not really hyped for this anniversary to begin with. Not much is propably changing. The live stream will be like the last years with a lot of talking and exchanging back-pats. Cosmetics will get announced, chapter will be shown and the anniversary event is gonne be suspiciously similar to the last one.

I´d be positively suprised if anything different is gonna happen, but i dont get my hopes up.

Also, Shadow of the Erdtree is coming out in june so……

Sorry???

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 424

Personally, I've stopped caring about chapters a long ago, with the exception of the Alien chapter.

What usually happens is, survivors get one new survivor that either gets immediately forgotten by the devs or becomes incredibly successful because it's either shirtless or has a swimsuit cosmetic, and they come with perks that essentially boil down to "Self destruct to add a 1% progress to all completed generators".

And when it comes to killer, it's going to be all the rage for a week, then survivors will figure out a strategy against them, this killer will start to slug and tunnel and soon after it'll never show up again. A month later we'll see a thread asking what happened to the killer's popularity and several others asking for ridiculous buffs that would propel the killer to SS tier if they were implemented as-is. A year later, the devs will release a buff to the killer's kicking speed - something like 1%, and remove that 1% extra kicking speed from their add-ons.

And this repeats. Every. Single. Chapter.

I like D&D but I can't get hyped for content for this game anymore. I still need to buy a few of the newest chapters but I just can't be bothered.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,488

I'm not well-informed about D&D so I didn't have much reaction to the reveal.

Also I don't think it's as global as other licenses we have. I'm certain almost nobody knows what D&D is where I live.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I'm old so I'm aware of what it is and while I don't know exactly what BHVR is planning it should have you extremely excited, D&D opens the door for about anything just due to the nature of the game, my friends and I used to come up with new tales and make new boards so every time we finished we could have one set for the next time we met up, if BHVR was ever gonna let a character be created in any capacity in their game this would be the chapter they would do it with, even if it's just creating the appearance and having everything else set in stone something like this probably isn't beyond the possibility just because in D&D anything can happen

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,186

They have not. My D&D days were before I got my kitty cats. Though I still have all my stuff and am trying to find a nerd store around here that does D&D cause I'd love to try to get back into it (or maybe Warhammer but I know that one is spendy...)

• SuzieMalay
    SuzieMalay Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 15

Never heard of the new license, don't know what D&D is. ALso was a wrong time to release a chapter, the game has many issues that haven't been fixed, nobody cares about the new chapter.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 465

What is there to be excited about? I don't think it has anything to do with the license and more the assumption that people who are very in the loop regarding this game like the folks on this forum are disillusioned with BHVR's gameplay design.

The Unknown proved that even with fantastic aesthetics, buildup, and lore, the lack of creativity and innovation when it comes to new content and how it plays renders the above meaningless in the long run.

Combine this with the fact that last anniversary was plagued with horrendous latency issues that were never officially recognized and you get the resulting ambivalence.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 486

I can say that personally for me I don't get excited about new content, and it's not just specific to this new chapter. I don't have time to play dozens of hours a week like many devoted players do. So the game feels more and more overwhelming to me with the release of every new chapter. Increasingly complicated killers to learn how to play as and against, and the ever growing list of perks to learn how to use and counter. I have no idea how new players are latching on to this game - it's incredibly overwhelming and frustrating to learn now unless you basically quit every other game and sink at least 1,000 hours into this one.

I fully understand that BHVR has to keep cranking out new content to keep revenue coming in, but at the same time I think they are increasingly turning away new players. With this game as mature as it is, maybe that's what they decided is the best option - keep the devoted player base paying for new content, even if it means you're likely not going to get many new players to put in the time to become regular customers.