[THEORY] The Unknowns True Identity?

MudSpit83
MudSpit83 Member Posts: 117

I think I might know what the Unknown might be…..What if he’s Nyarlathotep? Or at least BHVRs own take on the character…

For those who dont know, Nyarlathotep (also known as the Crawling Chaos or the Faceless God from the Lovecraft Mythos) is a Outer God much like the Entity and enjoys manipulating and causing madness to humans on Earth. He’s one of the only gods in the Lovecraft Mythos who genuinely “likes” humans and not in a good way….

So how are these 2 characters connected you might be asking? Well, lets look at similarities:

Both are myserious Aliens that did not originate on Earth

Both have the ability to shapeshift into anyone they want

Both have cults that worship them

Both cause instant madness just by looking at them

Both enjoy messing with humans for enjoyment

Both have been on Earth for centuries

Both have “lived in dungeons long forgotten”

I dont want this post to get any longer, but do tell me what you guys think of my theory.

Comments

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 124

1: I don’t remember the unknown having cults,

2: unknown doesn’t cause Instand madness but reaserching him makes him attack is as close to it being madness

• MudSpit83

“There were many theories as to The Unknown’s origin. Some said it was a malevolent entity conjured long ago by an ancient cult.”

Several of Unknowns add ons and cosmetics say that people can go completely insane just by looking at him.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 124

oh yea, your right. I only remember iri and purple add ons. And clowns color flip addon

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 521

I think at the very least The Unknown is an old one, maybe a much weaker one but an old one all the same. My guess it's a kinda octopus like creature with the "head" being what comes out of the neck and shoots the projectiles.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,602
    edited July 18

Fundamentally, the Unknown is quite literally unknowable. All the favour texts we have are mere in-universe theories about its origins. Some suggest it's "just" a serial killer, others suspect a CIA-experiment gone awry.

Trying to find out what it actually is, is precisely what gets you its attention, and your untimely demise. And thus, nobody lives to tell of its true nature.

• Vasyazx
    Vasyazx Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 20

it is rather on lower side of power chain of dbd universe so he cannot be outer god since it was forced to serve entity and cannot do anything about it

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 302

I saw a theory on YouTube and it's the best explanation of what the Unknown is so far. According to it, the Unknown was created by the Entity worshippers — literally a tulpa fueled by the fear of the unknown and feeding on theories. This is why thinking about Unknown can summon it to the person's location — it comes into existence as soon as the person learns of it and starts digging. So, it is an alien. And a serial killer. And an eldritch power. And a former human mangled by horrible experience. All at once. I don't remember exactly what (according to the theory) the cultists wanted to achieve by creating the Unknown, but it was either to harness the Entity's power and experiment with it or to make the Entity a gift it would like.

• MudSpit83

Thats pretty much Dredges lore, he was created using the dark thoughts of people who lived in that town. I dont think this applies to the Unknown, I genuinely do think he’s some sort of alien or eldritch being thats been on Earth for centuries.

• Gorik
    Gorik Member Posts: 175

If your trying to work out its true identity, you are next.

• Vasyazx
    Vasyazx Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 20

I dont think that Unknown was created intentionally his existence most likely accident and product of people beliefs and his afraid of they Entity so its very unlikely that he was created by its servants