Lobby Shopping vs Going Next

Options
WolfyWood
WolfyWood Member Posts: 306

Why is it that survivors giving up on hook is such a hot issue right now (has been for awhile) and yet I don't see the same energy for killers cherry picking lobbies?

I feel as though the rhetoric used to denounce going next could be easily applied to profile inspecting and lobby dodging and yet I feel as though there's not as much buzz.

How come?

I'd assume it's because the negatives aren't as apparent as someone going next in the middle of a match but I'd argue it's equally as damaging.

I also believe that if survivors should lose the ability to die intentionally on hook then killers should lose the ability to inspect profiles and leave lobbies without eating a DC penalty. And before anyone says Us Vs Them keep in mind this change would apply to survivors too.

This to me would be a fair implementation of 'playing the match you queued for."

Comments

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,406
    Options

Lobby shopping and/or dodging by a killer does wreak their MMR pretty badly, and I often wonder what effect skipping lobbies altogether would have on the quality of matchmaking. I'd like to see this tested out.

There's not a lot of what I'd call "legit" reasons for leaving lobbies, things like real-life issues of course, and recognizing a known hacker I can get behind. Aside from that, shopping around to me seems like either passing "a problem" onto another killer, some kind of protest of current balancing, not liking some cosmetics, or simply looking for a personal definition of a "fair" trail. Smells like looking for an easier match to me.

When it comes to survs hoping lobbies it too is not good for proper-ish matchmaking, but less destructive imo.

In truth, how can we blast the devs for an MMR system that is being maneuvered around & bypassed like crazy, and not really given a good shot to do its thing?

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

lol Killers tunnel.

Survivors Bully Squad.

These are the two sins of the other side.

One side tramples on open lobbies without much resistance.

One side waits in lobby as killers come and go.

Until lobby shopping goes bye bye, squads and 'tech' will remain and survive the day.

I'd love to get some of the dodgers for some 1v1s. I bet they arent as bad as they think they are lol

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 208
    Options

Interesting comparison. I’m not sure why there’s somewhat of a double standard but you’re not alone in noticing it. Someone made a post a few days ago about the bias between the way people react to things killers complain about compared to the way people react to what survivors complain about, and I think this may be one of those things. Even if the essence is completely the same, or stats support the point, or it’s just an opinion, often on the forum if it’s a survivor complaint it won’t be met with as much understanding, and often it’s made personal by insisting that the OP is simply bad at the game. “Skill issue” is what seems popular to say, a way to kind of invalidate everything that the OP expressed.

Your point I believe is strong, and if survivors or even 1 survivor were given the option to “lobby dodge” the same way, I believe the community would be quick to denounce it. Not trying to “us vs. them” as everyone is an individual, but the posts on the forums already seem to support this.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 740
    Options

Must be because of the items / Prestige’s. Out of every 100 survivor matches I would say the killer leaves probably 10-15 times. And who knows if it’s because the lobby or maybe they had to go do laundry or something.

I think lobby shopping is also overblown too. 7 out of every 10 matches I play has a minimum of 1 P100. 5 out of 10 of my matches have a TTV in them. I’ve had multiple P400 lobbies and I never dodged any of them. Prestige has zero indication of skill.

I used to dodge before but You'll never get better if you dodge the good players. You can learn a lot from sweaty players on the fly. It’s a very good way of learning and if they are cracked and you do beat them it feels great. But if you lose it doesn’t feel terrible either because they have 10,000 more hours than you lol.

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489
    Options

If you dontvsee killers cherry that much its on you. They do.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,677
    edited May 21
    Options

I don’t really think they are comparable, they are both issues in their own way.

Lobby shopping shouldn’t be possible. No other game allows you to cherry pick your opponents and avoid ones that might give you difficulty.

As for giving up, it’s also an issue and completely ruins the game for everyone else and you, the one ruining it, are somehow punished the LEAST. Any other game this would be looked down on, yet the DBD community thinks they are in the right somehow.

Both need to be addressed for separate reasons. The reason lobby dodging is less talked about (even though it is still a pretty common topic anyway) is probably because it is less obvious that it affected the game. Lobbying dodging doesn’t necessarily make the entire game a loss like giving up does and the other players don’t have to sit through a lost game for ages in a dodged lobby. Lobby dodging doesn’t impact the game as obviously as giving up does so it’s not as clear when it actually happened. They both impact the game negatively, just in different ways and lobby dodging is less in your face about it.

They are both issues that should be more punishable but they should be changed because they are issues themselves, not as a tit for tat type thing where you can only remove one if the other goes.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

This is a necessary feature to avoid cheaters. Originally, the survivors should only display the killer's name.

People often say that you don't encounter cheetahs very often, but that's an idealism that's far from reality.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 190
    Options

I'm against removing option to view profiles because they at least provide an opportunity to dodge potential cheaters (because BHVR isn't really doing anything about them). Letting survivors preview the killer's profile is fair though.

• BubMickey07
    BubMickey07 Member Posts: 285
    Options

Honestly think this would be great for survivors to see which killer they're going against instead of going in blind and getting a 9th SM or doctor in a row

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Most TTVs stream for like 3 people and are not toxic at all. But that is the general hate against streamers on this forum (unless they are popular, then they are idolized).

The option does more harm than good. The 1 Cheater you get in 20 or so games does not really justify it IMO. Let alone that most Cheaters are Anon anyway.

• SpitefulHateful
    Options

This is why I said "at least". Dodging a suspected cheater with a VAC ban on their Steam account is more preferrable to suffering them the entire game, especially if they find a way to hold a match hostage. I've faced a Meg who no-clipped through my hits and, therefore, was basically invincible. To say it was frustrating would be an understatement and even if encounters with cheaters were rare (in my case, they aren't), this isn't the experience I want to repeat.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited May 21
    Options

Does it need to be one or the other? Why not condemn both?

I consider lobby shopping pretty scummy, and a sign the killer has no belief in their own abilities, nor any desire to grow as a player. It messes with the matchmaking queue, causing disruption to MMR system via backfill with all of those associated issues, and simply shows them to be pretty spineless, sad and pathetic.

I do however condemn suicide on hook more, simply because the effect is greater. It's not even the killer side you're punishing, you're punishing the rest of the survivors in the trial. At least with lobby shopping the argument can made that the immediate damage you've done is only minorly inconvenienced the opposite side and made them wait maybe 30s for another killer to join. With SoH, you basically threw every other survivor on your own team under the bus and left them at the mercy of the killer, all because you couldn't be bothered to sit on a gen and/or run the killer as long as possible before you died.

If you aren't gonna eat a DC penalty for being a baby and kicking your toys out of the pram, at least play super aggressive and/or run the killer to corner of the map to at least try and be useful before you leave the game.

That's how I see it. Both are dirt piles, but survivors who abandon their team are absolutely a higher level of filth.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,287
    edited May 21
    Options

There are legitimate reasons to leave a lobby.

I literally say exactly this in my post. I'm not sure you read everything I said, and it seems you stopped reading very early on.

ETA: Not only did I say this in the post, the only partial solution I discussed specifically does nothing in situations that are legit reasons to leave a lobby.

Post edited by AmpersandUnderscore on
  • SpitefulHateful
    Options

Players created an environment where your entire worth as a person is defined by how "good" you are at the game. If you happen not to play like a god of DBD or struggle with a new killer, then in popular opinion, you deserve to be abused, BMd, told you're worthless and advised to end your life or uninstall the game. Gee, I wonder why players aren't eager to "test their abilities"?

Blame the community.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,545
    edited May 21
    Options

2 things.

1- not a fair comparison at all. one happens DURING a game, and everyone else gets stuck playing that match until it ends.

the other is in the lobby. which the worst it would do is screw mmr a bit because another player joins quickly after.

similar in premise, but not in effect.

2- I've been on the side of removing the lobby altogether for awhile now… you queue up, and immediatly go into the loading screen when a match is found with 5 people. just show the survivors and their cosmetics in the loading screen if that really matters.

and you want me to have it while also removing hook suicides? sign me in.

also, to people saying it, there are reasons to leave a lobby that isn't shopping. the usual for me is that I forgot to equip a new tome challenge… but I wouid agree that lobby shopping is bs.

this is quite unfair. they do a lot against cheaters. but it's an arms race.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited May 21
    Options

Nah j/k😁

But in seriousness, lobby shopping is undeniably lame, even if survivors have made it toxic to play killer, it should not be used as an excuse to stoop down to the same level or as a shield to defend it.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

But there is an impact on the match where the lobby was dodged. The back fill player is likely to be completely mismatched in skill to what the lobby was originally matched for.

So you get a 12k hour nurse stomping a squad of solos, or the other extreme of a new killer going up against 6k hour survivors.

The only difference here is that dropping out of the match affects the game for 4 players, or may not have an effect at all if the match is already lost. Lobby dodging affects the match for 5 other players, and can create the frustrating 'matchmaking is awful' scenarios that literally no one enjoys.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 240
    Options

If I'm playing killer and I know that I'm going up against a 3/4-man SWF team, I'm absolutely going to dodge. Why would I want to knowingly go into a match where the other side has an unfair advantage if I don't have to?

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 306
    Options

But would you agree that the mindset is the same?

And with that, they are linked in that if you condemn one you must condemn the other and both have to be removed together or neither should.

This is effectively the crux of my argument.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,251
    edited May 21
    Options

I agree they should both be removed but I disagree on them being the same mindset and therefor not linked. I think there's more reasons for lobby shopping than there are reasons for rage quitting games.

If the vast majority of dodges were simply because "i want an easy game where I win", "entitlement" if you will. Then yeah I'd agree. However I don't agree because I don't think that's the majority. A lot, sure, but majority, no. If you think that is the majority though then I can see why you feel this way as if I thought that I'd agree as well.