Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is anyone else having an insane amount of game crashes since the last big update?

Pat00tSack
Pat00tSack Member Posts: 72

I'm not super tech-savvy when it comes to the nitty gritty of computer stuff, so I'm not sure if this is a me issue that's suddenly started happening with coincidental timing or if the big update started making a lot of people crash along with the rubberbanding issues I've seen people having.

I feel like I'm crashing all the time, with it happening nearly every match I play when I'm SWF. The game runs okay (aside from aforementioned rubberbanding occasionally) and it always happens when I'm loading back into the lobby after a match. I've checked my internet and it's fine, and I've verified my dbd files and that's all well and good. I have no idea if this is just something I'm dealing with in a vacuum or if this is widespread.

Answers

• Pat00tSack

I'm also noticing it happens a lot when I try to go look at tomes/the rift too. There have been a couple instances where I've crashed loading into a game but that's happened maybe 2 or 3 times since the update so I'm less worried about that.

• TefyStanford
    TefyStanford Member Posts: 12

Yes, I am also experiencing too many disconnections, when I have not even been in a game for 5 minutes. This morning I logged in at 10:00am to play, and in a few minutes the game froze and kicked me out, indicating a disconnection from the server. They blocked me from searching for players for 24 hours. And I've already had 6 hour penalties in the last few days. The servers are annoying terribly. It's not my internet connection nor is it my PS5.

• Turbs
    Turbs Member Posts: 20

Yes, I am crashing all the time in the new store to where I'm afraid to even open it at all now.

Fatal error: [File:C:\J2\lPCs\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 873] CurrentQueue.Fence.D3DFence->GetCompletedValue() failed at C:\J2\lPCs\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Submission.cpp:939 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 97574018 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 97373270 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 97419625 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 97434848 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 97459071 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 91313015 bytes
    DeadByDaylight_Win64_Shipping {0x0000000000000000} + 91289201 bytes
    kernel32 {0x0000000000000000} + 95044 bytes
    ntdll {0x0000000000000000} + 337585 bytes

Behavior snubbed me while offering no advice beyond asking around here on it. There is at least another person that affirmed to have the same issue so it's surely not just a personal problem.

• TefyStanford

This morning the 24-hour penalty was lifted. I was able to play 2 games and in the third, it had been going on for about 5 minutes and it disconnected me. They penalized me again and now for 48 hours. The problem with the DBD servers is too much.

• TefyStanford

Every option in the game is generating errors. In the lobby, in the blood network, during the game, in the store.

There was an error displaying this embed.

• TefyStanford
  • Pat00tSack

this is basically the exact same message I'm getting when I crash. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, verified files, checked internet, played on different devices, etc. I never really disconnect, the whole game just crashes. I just crashed when trying to load back into my lobby where I practice Nurse and Spirit against bots :)

• semercury
    semercury Member Posts: 32

I think I commented on your bug report thread too, but I wanted to give some attention to this one as well, as I feel this is a very large issue affecting many people. I wanted to include my own information to potentially aid in solving this issue.

My specs are:
    Platform: Steam
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
    RAM: 16 GB
    Cores: 6
    Processor Speed: 3.89 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600
    VRAM: 8176 MB

I have tried just about everything I can find, including but not limited to:
    -Clean reinstall of my graphics driver/software
    -Uninstall/Reinstall DBD
    -Verify integrity of files
    -Turn off anti-aliasing
    -Switch EAC to Performance mode from Windows graphics settings
    -Repair EAC from the EasyAntiCheat_Setup application
    -Run DirectX installer
    -Updated Windows
    -Modified the graphics driver registry key as seen here
    -Changed the Steam Launch option to -dx11, which I have not been able to test
    thoroughly as it tanks my fps to about 40 at times and makes the game
    unplayable

The crash report I'm getting is pretty much the same as the one mentioned above, though lately it's stopped after DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED.

I'm really hoping a solution comes up that isn't just upgrading to a new GPU, as I cannot afford that right now.

• dark_hunter92
    dark_hunter92 Member Posts: 14

Doesn't surprise me. This dev team always seems to break something whenever they put out a patch. It's funny actually because they're doing the opposite of what a patch does. You'd think after all these years they would've learned to test their updates and submit them for code reviews.

• Pat00tSack

Yeah I gave up on my large email chain with bhvr trying to figure it out cause they just kept telling me to do the same stuff that I already did to troubleshoot.

I've got

Platform: Steam
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
    RAM: 16 GB
    Cores: 4
    Processor Speed: 4 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
    VRAM: 12288 MB

• semercury

That's super frustrating, I'm sorry even an email didn't work. I guess that means I won't try it either.

I did also try underclocking my GPU, switching the steam launch to -d3d10, and adding a TdrDdiDelay as well as a TdrDelay to the registry editor.

At this point I have to assume it's on their end somehow. And I also have to assume they're getting tons of crash reports about it, like they can't be unaware at this point (at the very least, I'm sending several a day because I want to do the limited time things). I remember fairly recently, I had a similar issue with Fortnite of all things. The game would just randomly crash after playing it for a while, and then eventually an update happened that fixed it. Don't know if it was an update from Fortnite itself or my graphics card, but it's something…

At the very least, I just wish we had some kind of acknowledgement on this. It seems like the only response I've seen has been them rejecting bug reports about it saying it's a technical issue. I just want some confirmation that they're aware and are working on it, you know?

But at least the fact that the past bug fix patch and the PTB notes talked about fixing other crashes. Perhaps this one will be fixed soon.

• Pat00tSack

Wooooo another one, 4th time in the last 3ish hours

• Pat00tSack

Yeah all we can really hope for is that they're overwhelmed with crash reports.

• Manslaughter
    Manslaughter Member Posts: 42

Yea, it's not crashes for me but the lag is nuts. I know it's dbd cause my other games are fine. I'm forcing myself to play with this internet and I can't even get a kill or if I'm playing survivor j can't even run, when I do run I get rubberbanded back where I ran from. It's annoying.

• Pat00tSack

That happened to me right after the engine update, but it seems like that's been resolved in exchange for the crashing. I'm consistently getting about 3-5 crashes in a 4 hour gaming session.

• Pat00tSack

Sigh

• Dajoin
    Dajoin Member Posts: 5

I wish they would at least acknowledge that this is a widespread issue. Just having some clarity on whats wrong or why we cant play the game would be nice.
    I've invested a lot of time/ money into this game, like probably all of you, and I'm sad to suddenly not have access to it.
    I'm checking this forum post everyday just in hope that there will be some kind of fix/ reason here. :(

• Pat00tSack

Between the constant crashing, increased bm players, and wonky map boosts lately I don't even want to play anymore. There's no way all the reports they're closing are due to technical issues when everything had been running fine until they updated something.

I think I'm gonna make another post to document the tomfoolery I experienced via 'tech support' trying to figure out what's going on so people don't waste their time like I have.

• semercury

I can't help but wonder if closing the bug reports because it's "a technical issue" is their way of saying that they're already aware because of the crash reports, kind of like how they close duplicate bug reports. That's the most logical and charitable explanation I have for why that's happening.

But yeah, I would love for some communication and acknowledgement. The only reason I haven't given up hope is that the last patch notes and the patch notes for the PTB address various crashes. They have been aware of crashes since the UE5 update, it's just taking time unfortunately.

But definitely take a break if you need it! Goodness knows I've taken my fair share when the game stops being fun for me. And definitely document what happened with tech support.

• Dajoin
    Dajoin Member Posts: 5

I dont know if this fix will work for more people, but since I disabled the Video Evidence feature (dont know exactly in the Nvidia Gforce Overlay I didnt have any problems anymore. This worked for 3 days now (20hrs game time) without any signs of stuttering/ crashes.

Cant clip anything but at least my game works now. I hope I can help at least one person with this fix