Giving up is making this game borderline unplayable

Comments

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 808

Two hooks before two gens is a crazy take and not an ez win i mostly play killer and never considered two hooks was an easy match for me even when i play survivor if everybody on first hook then sure but not two hooks like cmon that says more about you then anything

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,995
  • vBlossom_
    vBlossom_ Member Posts: 387

And I don't because it means that such killer previously had to use some busted combo to boost their MMR.

Why should I be sorry to someone that probably used Eruption + CoB + Overcharge and then is miserable because perk that he was so reliant to got nerfed?

Some cases ofc "you can be matched wrongly / there are smurf teams", but most of the cases is that killers are boosted by broken perks, those perks got nerfed and they are then bulled by 4 man SWFs

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 250

The amount of generalization in just a single comment is insane, lmao.

"If a Killer disconnects then it must be because they're facing SWF, and if they're being bullied by them, it means that in the past they used a broken combo so they deserve it."

Do you even hear yourself?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,392

Solo Queue would win more games if people weren't so quick to rage quit over what ever minor annoyance got to them.

I've had several good nights of solo queue where I got matched with decent players who didn't quit at the drop of a hat.

• PreorderBonus

I play exclusively Solo Q, and survivors still give up at the minor inconvenience, that's the whole problem. It's not a "us vs. them" situation because, as a killer, I couldn't care less. it's as a survivor that it bothers me.

Solo Q can be hell: if the killer finds someone quickly, you know that you probably won't win, if a Sable goes to the basement as soon as the match starts to do an invocation, you know the match is probably lost. But that IS Solo Q. Are we really going to start cherry-picking games until those people find a game that goes how they want it to go? How many games are they allowed to ruin in the process?

If they want to give up, fine, give up and go next. But the game should punish you the same way as if you disconnected, with penalties that increase in time the same way as when you disconnect. Otherwise, what stops people from picking their games just because something didn't go as they planned?

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

When in chess you see that your opponent has a winning position and you surrender instead of prolonging the game to the obvious checkmate, does it make you "entitled, because the game didn't go the way you wanted to"? By the way, most of chess games end up with surrenders, because the defeat is usually obvious several moves before the actual checkmate.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,192

What comes to mind is, regardless of whether that player decides the game is lost and wants to move on (or whatever the reason is), it's still a selfish and entitled position, because it leaves 3 other survivors in a terrible position, and one killer who also mostly feels like the trial has become unfun.

The selfishness of one ruins it for the others, and regarding some declarations that "the game is lost anyway" - yes, it is after you wimped out! There have been many trials where survivors have been hooked early, yet still got out alive! Heck, I remember being hooked twice in the first few minutes of a game, yet still got out.

No matter the excuses, the fact remains is that when someone declares they left because a game is lost because of an early down is heavily unempathetic and childlike. If I felt his way about this game, I just wouldn't play it - there are many other games I'd probably enjoy more if this was my mentality.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,192

For the vast, vast majority this does not happen. It's nice you're not refering all the times people give up because they got downed once, or decoded they don't want to play. It's a subjective belief that people often exaggerate and use as an excuse. The reason its repeated is because the reasoning doesn't change and it's a valid response. Validity isn't a trend you can shift along.

Also, I will continue to use the "strawman" comment that if someone is repeatedly doing this then they should play something else, or - and this is perhaps a more lenient solution - dump repeated quitters together with each other to play games amongst themselves. Again, this is a valid argument because why play something you'd repeatedly give up on.

Finally, if my team mates are deliberately screwing me over, I gather the evidence and send it over as a report. I've had reports come back to me saying an action has been taken (which I know doesn't always mean it was because of that specific report)but shows it's worked.

Basically, I'll keep my stance on this, I have seen people end themselves far more for petty reasons than not, and if a position has been maintained for years - as you say - there's a good reason why.

Anyway, I'll leave it here. These discussions can get animated and I prefer not to waste my time on back and forth arguments where neither side would ultimately agree or meet in the middle. I don't get that vibe from yiu and know I won't be changing any time soon regarding this opinion.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,287

Based on the premise that you can't force people to play (as opposed to professional athletes players don't get paid for "sticking around". They actually don't get anything in return for sticking it out, they only waste time.) how about killers can attempt to open the gates? Three tries, 4% chance to actually open them. - I'm sure that'd be an interesting stat to track, if nothing else. Not reliable enough to exploit but certainly a good indicator of a killer player not having a good time.

Cause at the end of the day, the goal is for as many players as possible to want to stick around. Atm killers are forced to stay, even if the match is already lost, and are miserable. Survivors can't be forced to stay but their attempting 4% can make others miserable. Both not ideal and not exactly a characteristic of a healthy situation.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

I've been playing a while, and I can often top the score as killer with 0 deaths. The bonus point system to incentivize less-populated sides is great, but people need something to stay in the game, so I agree with you. Points are nice but I would also dream of a Shard bonus. Trying to fill out two platform's rosters is a royal pain, to say nothing of default outfits years later…

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

A shard bonus would be amazing, I agree with that. But I kind of doubt that will ever happen.

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 639

There are plenty of come back mechanics for survivors in form of second chance perks. Thing is, no amount of ''help from above'' will work for you if your team refuses to play.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356
    edited May 24
  • devoutartist
    devoutartist Member Posts: 115

that wont change anything tough ppl will just do the bare minimum not to get reported and won't play the game ether honestly its just a game issue witch more and more ppl are just not happy the way the game is turning out in general but are still willing to play it because the good match outweigh the bad matches

imo bdb needs to redo the base game mechanics because where getting into a breaking point that the old mechanics are showing it's flaws at the determent of the game in general

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 666

It's always weird to me that players think they need to be convinced to keep playing a game they signed up for. If you DC that often, that's on you, don't be surprised that other people are salty you decided to flip the board when you left.

DBD matches aren't that long, even the ones that really drag out last like 15-20 minutes at most, unless the other side is actively trying to take the game hostage.

• North85
    North85 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 25

Swap the DC penalty time out for a ragequitter queue. They DC X times out of Y games, they go into ragequitter queue until they complete Z games.

• LadLord
    LadLord Member Posts: 18

I played chaos mode today only, like 15 matches, lost em all, never got a single good exhaust perk… only background player like twice.... now I just give up if I realize I'm being tunneled again… and starting to give up on this game entierly.. and so many killer camps with wesker or blight, at a safe distance from the hook… so the camp-meter dosen't go up..

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410

Right, so killers whined until any agency survivors had in a chase is gone. Meaning survivor skill doesn't matter when it comes to being tunneled or getting "downed in 40 seconds"

Then you compare the math on how long it takes the other survivors to finish 5 gens while the killer stands 16.1 meters from the first hook waiting to tunnel this person out of the match.

Then the devs give killers multiple perks that stall gen progress without having to actually leave the first hook. Making it even less likely that waiting to be camped/tunneled out of a match will have any actual benefit to the team.

Then you consider the amount of points you're likely to earn as a survivor for staying in a hopeless 3v1 at 2-3 gens vs the killer that can now draw out the match and easily hit 35k or more.

Idk it's just a mystery why players don't see a point to staying in these matches!

• PreorderBonus

If you genuinely think that survivors have no agency in chases anymore, I don't know what to tell you because it's straight up false. The game isn't as broken as it was before, but that doesn't mean that playing survivor is an instant loss and that playing killer is an instant win. If you think that you have no agency in your chases, I don't know how to tell you this, but you just might be bad at the game.

Sure, sometimes you get caught out in the open or in a dead zone, and you can't do anything but go down. But this has been true for the entirety of DBD's history, regardless of whether you started playing 7 weeks or 7 years ago.

Also, I play killer pretty frequently, and I almost always go for 12 hooks. I see survivors give up on the first hook without being camped or tunneled ALL THE TIME. There's literally no excuse to do this, and you're screwing the game for everyone else. I don't care how justified you feel you are in leaving when you want, but this type of player simply shouldn't be playing the game, period.

By the way, I'm not arguing against "giving up" when there are 5 gens left, 3 survivors alive, and one hooked. I'm complaining about that 4th survivor who gave up because things didn't go their way, making the match unwinnable and leaving us stuck until the match is over. Because let's not pretend that every give up is when the match is unwinnable. I can go play 5 games right now and I'll see a survivor trying to kill themselves on first hook at least in 3 of those games.

And as I mentioned in another comment, as a killer, you cannot give up without being penalized. As killer, you're forced to play matches that you know are lost because the game even punishes you for going AFK. Yet, as a survivor, you can give up as you please with no penalty whatsoever, which encourages leaving difficult matches and focusing on playing games that are easy, even if that means screwing over dozens of games in the process. How is this healthy?

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

In the first place, the game was not established by people who gave up on the game from the beginning, so they are only freed from the illusion. There remains the result of a healthy game.

• bloodyknife
    bloodyknife Member Posts: 70

Isn't giving up basekit?

This discussion has been closed.