Who here primarily plays solo q? Why?

Options
HerInfernalMajesty
HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,133
edited May 30 in General Discussions

I enjoy the many voices and perspectives here on the forum and it got me thinking, how many of you play solo q only? What is the reason? Preference? Circumstance? I’d love to know!

Comments

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

Me cause i've never really had any people to play with that i can vibe with. I've tried but it's never really gone how i would want it to go. Which is partly why i main killer instead but when i play survivor it's always solo q.

I like that i don't have to use voice chat and even if team mates can be troublesome, at least they are different every match.

What about you, @HerInfernalMajesty?

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

What vibe do you look for?

I play solo q near 100% of the time. Honestly it’s just circumstance. I would love to play with forum members but I often get ignored or ghosted a lot. It hurts my feelings but whatever. Plus I don’t think people look at the lfg threads very often. And even then I get suspicious vibes from some people that reply to those threads.

And wow I’m very surprised you’re asking me for my opinion. That is a really considerate thing to do. After all my time on this forum I rarely ever see anyone who cares about hearing someone else’s/ OP’s pov instead of just demonstrating their own. Wow, you alongside a few other users have given me hope for the forums. It can feel like a practice in abnegation at times.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options
  • TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,245
    Options

When I play survivor I only play solo queue. My schedule can be unpredictable so it's easier if the only person I'm relying on is myself.

• JoeyDonuts
    JoeyDonuts Member Posts: 106
    Options

Pretty similar. I played with two others when the game released. I didn't even want to play, I wanted to keep playing F13. They had stopped years ago, and the few times I've tried playing with people other than a close friend, it's just constant complaining, whining or shiit talking. I just want to hit some head on stuns, participate in shenanigans, and go about my evening.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

How interesting. Yeah I feel similar to you about the complaining stuff. I don’t play sweaty at all. I accept almost anything that happens in my trials sans cheating or reportable behavior.

Anyone who wants to play relaxed without caring about other people’s skill levels while embracing the silly moments in a match are definitely my type of Survivor players.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 918
    edited May 30
    Options

Unlike years ago where I played killer nearly exclusively, I now play ~80-90% solo queue survivor.

As to why that is:
    I'm of the belief that the weakness and challenge of solo queue is the lack of information and quality of support survivors receive. I also believe that if the information is there, and the quality of support is high, people are more likely to succeed (i.e. play well); otherwise, they (and therefore we as a group) are more likely to fail.

My enjoyment in games, regardless of the genre, is controlling the pace of the events that happen around me to the best of my ability. Whether that means tanking in MMOs, playing control mages in single player games, (attempting) to push a group of oblivious people in the right direction to succeed, or even just building a civilization in… civilization - I just enjoy the challenge of navigating the broader variables around me to achieve the outcome I desire.

Survivor gives me this fix because the vast majority of players seem to prefer chase, second chance, and the occasional generator-related perks. As a result, there have been more than a few moments where people can be inefficient in their objectives. So I do my best to, and enjoy providing, the best support that I can in an attempt to enable others to play well in whatever role they want to play. If they want to be aggressive, I grind generators to prevent us getting behind; if they're being tunneled, I set up boons and body block to keep them in the game; if they're going down like flies, I lure the killer to the other side of the map (ideally with boon: exponential set up near them beforehand). It is just fun to me to take supportive tools for the team and try to fit into whatever dynamic we end up having, and however the match goes.

Since I don't take any chase or anti-tunnel perks, I am also extremely vulnerable to the killer. As a result I adopted a primarily stealth-oriented playstyle, which adds excitement in not getting caught, and if I do, how to best navigate the chase to go down as late and conveniently as possible while on the fly (i.e. away from generators, hooks, healing teammates, etc.).

All of this contributes to my enjoyment of the survivor role, and is why I prefer the role currently.

That said, I won't deny solo queue can be frustrating either.

I will never forget that game of Borgo a few days ago against a slugging anti-healing doctor (Deer Stalker, Coulrophobia, Unnerving, Distressing) where 3 of my survivor allies got downed in one area with 1 generator left. That area, coincidentally, had my Boon: Exponential totem up there. Naturally, I took the killer on a ride to the opposite side of the map and let them recover in there. The issue is only one person actually recovered themselves fully and the rest just let themselves bleed out. The Dwight who recovered didn't both picking them up either (he was beside them), but instead stayed in the boon, screaming, taking the doctor there who snuffed it out so I couldn't use it when I got downed (I had tenacity).

To top it off, the Dwight disconnected after he got found and his bot hid in a locker because of the terror radius, watching me bleed out literally in front of him.

But hey, sometimes you gotta accept that some games you make the right decision but it just doesn't matter because, I assume, no one else cared enough to play (which I think is a problem in the game currently).

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 245
    Options

I play solo q because all my friends who started playing the game with me quit because of how overwhelming the game is for new players. You really have to be committed if you want to learn and be decent at this game. It is NOT friendly for new/casual players, and it only gets more overwhelming with every new chapter.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 74
    Options

I don’t have any friends who play this and it’s easier to play stealth alone

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,356
    Options

I’m almost always solo q, because I only know one person in real life that is willing to play in an unranked PvP game.

I often SWF in other games though, because they have ranked modes.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 447
    Options

Why, indeed.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

I just enjoy the challenge of navigating the broader variables around me to achieve the outcome I desire.

Wow, extremely dynamic. It feels like DbD is an experimenter’s paradise doesn’t it? It’s one of the reasons I love Plague so much. I love controlling the tempo of the match while wearing the Survivors down by attrition.

Thanks for sharing! Your comment was fun to read.

• Donkeybqlls
    Donkeybqlls Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 74
    Options

I soloQ all the time because my friends don't want to play dbd. Probably because they're imaginary

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,568
    Options

I’m primarily a solo queue player, survivor is my preferred role most of the time (even though I play killer too) and there aren’t a lot of people I usually play with. And I also enjoy the challenge that solo queue can offer.

I’d say my overall playtime is around 10% SWF, 50% solo queue, 40% killer.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Sure. Absolutely. The amount of info is staggering. This game is so simple to play but insanely involved when attempting to master it. I love it.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Yeah, I can see how stealth feels more viable in solo q.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Oh dang really? So is it like you’ve wanted to play with others but don’t have the means or is it that you prefer solo q?

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Y.N.D’d… It’s a good question!

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Well… You do have a Dr pfp so maybe people are just scared… Oh wait that’s just me 😂😥

Is solo q a preference or is playing dbd with others something you desire?

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,356
    Options

I usually only SWF with people I know in real life, and many of my friends thinks that if a PvP game doesn’t have a ranked mode, that it’s proof that the game is an unbalanced mess.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

Well im not too sure what im looking for exactly but the groups i played with, we all got tilted from losing streaks. I don't think it was anyone's fault really i guess it just wasn't a good fit. Like i said at least with solo q your team mates change each time but if you are in a group and you are constantly losing, it's likely that you will keep losing unfortunately.

Also i have to admit that i didn't try voice chat in these scenarios. I guess i am just too shy.

Sorry to hear about your LFG experiences on the forums. I've tried it once too and i am pretty put off by the experience unfortunately.

Also i felt like asking because i've liked your comments from other posts before so i wanted to see your input on the discussion 🙂

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

If i dont play killer i primarily soloq, because all my friends had terrible experiences that drove them out of the game.

Friend number one (has less than 20h of play time) kept getting singled out and tunneled

Friend number two (veteran who played a lot with his own group) kept getting frustrated with the state of the game

friend number three (only plays with friends, sitting at like 43 hours) kept getting bad experiences

I refuse to play with strangers because of my dislike of this community

the best way to enjoy this game is custom matches.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 176
    edited May 30
    Options

if you ever need people to play with, I have a discord server full of friends I made through soloq (because I play on Nintendo switch and get lonely lol) that play for fun (not toxic) and though we don’t use voice comms, we like to chat and have fun in between matches/while slugged/while on a hook lol

Lmk if you ever want to join!

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options
  • HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Aw that’s too bad. I feel bad for your friends. Well, hopefully you’re still enjoying the game.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

That’s very kind of you, thank you 😊

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 176
    Options

no problem! Send me a dm if you’d like the link )I’m not sure what rules are around posting in normal discussions on forum) but it’s not a serious discord thing - just a server that grew slowly and is full of friends who aren’t gonna get upset if you make mistakes and can laugh off most situations

• Gmoore23
    Gmoore23 Member Posts: 117
    Options

Honestly I play solo-q (when I do actually play survivor) because my friends who will play would rather play anything else, plus they're pretty toxic in game :/

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,310
    edited May 30
    Options

I primarily play solo queue because it’s what the game is balanced around and playing as swf is in fact an unfair advantage, heavily. I want to win when it’s a balanced match, not when the killers got his hand tied behind his back basically. I want the win to feel earned basically and if I’m in a swf it isn’t earned fairly in my opinion. It’s the same reason I don’t tunnel, the win wasn’t earned fairly. I don’t like anything that removes skill from the game and both of those do.

I do play some with friends but I understand those matches aren’t fair for the killer and definitely don’t stack that unfair advantage even further by bringing a map offering and styptics, syringes, BNP. Bringing all that just says I want to win and I don’t care if it’s a fair or balanced match at all. I also don’t think it’s fair to complain about tunneling if we’re in a swf as at that point we already weren’t coming at it from a fair game to begin with.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 716
    Options

All of friends at the moment are busy with college, but I’m on summer break, just finished up my second year for college, and I have lots of time to play. But sadly I’m stuck with solo queue.

If anyone wants to play let me know, I’m always down if I’m available.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 536
    Options

All my friends quit playing lol, and I love playing survivor when I want to chill. Sure I die like 80% of the time but thats fine.

I occasionally get them to come back but they get stomped for a couple of games and would rather play Paladins, 7Days2Die or some other open world survival game instead.

My friends played more consistently when the matchmaking wasn't the complete trash it is today.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 74
    Options

I don’t have anyone else to snitch and no one sees that I’m scared of the killer. Like hiding when the heartbeat first comes by. But when I try and loop I go down immediately so stealth is easy

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 706
    edited May 30
    Options

Necessity mostly. I would play with friends but I have none that enjoy horror or horror games.

Recently I've begun to understand why some never play Solo Q. Survivor is often not much fun and some days the bad times outweigh the good, so you kind of need some friends to chat with when the games are going badly. Mostly I'm just a bit fed up with losing so often because of circumstances out of my control.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,199
    Options

When I play survivor it's almost exclusively solo as my team has given up on the game around when Billy was nerfed.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 220
    Options

I pretty much exclusively play Solo q, and I do it mainly because I really like the challenge. I believe that solo is the hardest way to the play the game, and there's something really satisfying when you win because the odds are quite literally stacked against you. It feels more fuliflling to me personally than swf or killer. Problem is the high is few and far between but it's so high that you cant stop chasing it. So I will dredge through 15-20 matches where my team and I die just to get that one successful win lol.

Do you play alot of solo q?

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,962
    Options

I like variety, so I play SoloQ to get that variety since every match feels different enough to be engaging for me.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 512
    Options

Kind of the same boat. Swf to me stands for sandbag with friends more than anything lol. Playing by myself is the only real time I can play seriously

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,332
    Options

I only play solo q.

I play at different times and switch between killer and surv randomly.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 516
    Options

I only play solo queue because I don't have any friends who play at stupid o'clock in the morning like I do. I also like the randomness vs. playing with swfs, even though, yes, some of the matches can be absolute disasters.

Like this one. I get the feeling that these two teammates were a duo…

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,038
    Options

I have always preferred at least one random in my lobby because i find it more fun to have an rng aspect vs a 4 stack. Since i play at odd hours i started playing SoloQ more and found it way more enjoyable. i still think Duo and Trio is my all time fav, but i prefer SoloQ over a 4 stack any day of the week.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 410
    Options

I play 100% solo. I hate it, it frustrates me and makes me depressive and aggressive.

Why I do? None of my friends play and I don't know where to find people "compatible" with me and who are at my skill level which is somewhere … in the middle. I'd be as much afraid of ending up with people who are so … mediocre at the game that we'll never win a single one (I had a group once for the "Where Did They Go" trophy I found on the internet and we had one player who did love the game but was so terrible at it that it, it was impossible to keep him alive for more than two gens, after playing for many hours we had to message a killer at 2am to let us farm the trophy … now imagine having someone like this in your group if you want to win some games) … on the other hand I'm not the best player either so I'd be worried about just being a burden to the rest of my SWF as well.

• TheTom20
    TheTom20 Member Posts: 406
    Options

I use to play in swf but it gets to a certain point were you are 3 or 4 man escaping almost every single game unless you make a few mistakes
    1 friend got bored an stopped playing an the other 2 had life stuff going on

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Yup, I play solo and love it! I feel more immersed in the game and enjoy challenges, both as Survivor and Killer. Mostly, I just enjoy the experience.

I tried swf, but the chatting was distracting and there was an expectancy to play a certain way, which I didn't like. Also, it made the game not immersive and felt much too easy.

Finally, in solo there are some great stories that can be told. Of course, swf is the same, but being able to see it from the unique perspective of SoloQ can prpvide some great, unexpected moments, especially when you unexpectedly work so well as a team, you could be mistaken for a swf.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,251
    Options

I solo queue a lot because DBD is a low commitment game I can play in short burst when I'm taking a break from working on 3d assets.

I have people to play with occasionally but I'm selective and don't play with ragers.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

I primarily solo'Q because I can't really do comms while playing. When I get into chases, I'm solely focused and can't even hear people talk. Making call outs is very difficult for me as I'm just too in the game. Some attention issues, Im sure. But that's my reason.

Im going to try it though. I'm going to give comms and SWFing a real try and see if I can break the silence, so to speak.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I solo from time to time when no friends are on but if I'm being honest I just play killer usually when I'm alone, I just get bored playing survivor with nobody to talk to, I used to dabble in comp alot with my old team and ladder by myself also but now I just fill in as a practice killer for a couple of teams whenever they need one because their killers both play survivor for them too.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Oh yeah, I know that high you’re talking about.
    And yes, that’s all I play actually. Solo q and Killer.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

Well, if you ever want someone to play dbd with I wouldn’t mind at all! 😊 I just hope you have a high threshold for silliness. But I do still try to win and escape as well, but I never get upset or make excuses or anything like that.