BHVR will do with Vecna same did with Chucky: Sell it and nerf it.

Options
AlexandreRT
AlexandreRT Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 9

Vecna will be selled as strong A tier killer, and as soon as the sales begin to warm they will release a patch nerfing it to the ground just like they did with Chucky, that now is a C tier killer.

This pattern is not healthier for the community or the game.

Comments

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 669
    Options

It's literally every killers

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

I Will Wait before getting Vecna.

• JustAShadow
    JustAShadow Member Posts: 154
    Options

People think Vecna is A tier? I highly doubt he's getting nerfs as he's simply not good enough to warrant any.

• owenevan
    owenevan Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 5
    Options

It's understandable to have concerns about how game developers handle the balance of new characters or features. If there's a pattern of releasing strong characters only to nerf them later, it can definitely be frustrating for players who invest in those characters. Transparency and communication from developers about their balancing decisions could help alleviate some of these concerns. Hopefully, BHVR considers the long-term health of the game and its community when making these decisions.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,703
    Options

Is Vecna even A tier? Once they nerf his Mage Hand bug he seems like he’ll be pretty average.

I don’t see why they would need him at all. If anything he could use some buffs.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,347
    Options

I would actually argue that Vecna does need a small nerf to his Mage Hand. Mage Hand at the moment doesn't have much counterplay either, it's fairer than scamper, but not by that much.

However I do agree that OP's post is nonesensical, and that the devs don't just nerf killers after they sold them for the sake of it.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,637
    Options

To assume Chucky is currently c tier is wild... He is most likely still in the top 30-40% so bare minimum mid to high B tier. I would say he is probably still low a high b tier, as compared to earlier where people considered him above spirit for a rather short period of time.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

I usually wait with things like that a bit, because I cannot really say that I play as good as possible against Vecna or that the Survivors I face are knowing what they are doing. And there is also currently this Bug with Mage Hand. Even tho, I dont think it needed to be buffed in the first place (aside from the Cooldown lowered, which they did). But I dont think it is as glaring as Scamper was.

Yeah, I went against a really good Chucky yesterday. He is still a strong Killer, it is just not possible anymore to save his power until a Pallet is reached for a free hit.

• Bloodartist
    Bloodartist Member Posts: 123
    edited June 5
    Options

I wouldnt say Vecna as-is a strong A tier killer, but what you describe is unfortunately quite common in competitive games that have regular updates. I play marvel snap myself and this phenomenon is present there as well.

Something is released strong to draw in customers, then it is nerfed afterwards in the name of "game balance".
    For the record, I dont think Vecna needs nerfs, although his perk "weave attunement" might.

• Archol123
    Options

Hens also made a nice video about it, explaining how to use the power now, is a few weeks old and from the PTB... And the lower cooldown can even be seen as an overall buff depending on how well you use the dash.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,128
    Options

the thing is having little to no ability to hit the survivor with scamper is also poor game design for the killer. Chucky's main appeal was that he was one of the two killers to be able to counter god pallets(Nurse is other one) and now he lost that ability.

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 585
    Options

He will get nerfed. Right now survivors can't gain distance if they drop or pre-drop the pallet and Vecna does use a Mage Hand on it. It's the only thing he currently excels at and this will be conveniently ''addressed'' once the pockets of certain individuals are full. Wouldn't be surprised if they ''tweak'' Hand of Mage spell so it becomes more ''fair'' and ''fun'' for survivors and Vecna suddenly disappears from the common pick list.

• Archol123
    Options

I don't think that statement is true... For example shack is considered a god pallet and doctor can counter it when, by using the drey tech for example. Range killers can hit over it and so on. I don't think it is limited to those two killers and needs further clarification what pallets it applies to, as God pallet is a rather wide description.

His main appeal is the dash, which is somewhat better now because of the lower cooldown. If the main appeal of the killer is to brainlessly vault pallets after the survivor and then m1 them that is really a sad thing, not only is it super boring to do but it also requires 0 thinking.. That is Original legion levels of boring.

• Archol123
    Options

But if they pre drop it and somewhat stay near the loop, they can just drop it again once it got lifted and he will have 38 seconds of cooldown... So where is the issue? Mage hand counters late drops and greeding pallets, you should be find if you don't do that...

• Green_Sliche
    Options

Indeed. They nerf killers who ''served their purpose''. From that point they simply evaluate the ''fun'' aspect of the killer which always results into killer being made more ''fun'' for one particular side.

• Green_Sliche
    Options

That's the thing - they can't drop it back safely. Right now Vecna can pick it up and immediately whiff an attack. If they decide to stay and use the pallet they end up hit. If they don't and try to continue to run then they won't gain distance and will get hit regardless.

• MrT1412
    MrT1412 Member Posts: 91
    Options

Chucky can still go under god pallets, he's just not guaranteed a hit right after unless its a small corridor or the survivor messes up.

• Green_Sliche
    Options

At this point, why not just remove the scamper entirely and introduce something else instead? Why leave killer with gimped power that requires so much effort?

• kosaba11
    kosaba11 Member Posts: 29
    Options

To be honest, I wouldn't even call Vecna an A Tier killer. He kinda sucks, tbh. His stuff is both too slow, and easily dodged.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,128
    Options

doctor cannot counter god pallets vs good players. Drey tech does not work vs sentient survivor because they can stand further away from the pallet near the staircase. he can only counter god pallet that are in the corner of the map such as Gideon's god pallet on corner staircase(both the top side and bottom side) or the one near basement. Huntress can get hits at god pallets in some situations but the survivor can path in certain ways to make them guaranteed distance gain. For example Lery library has a god pallet and huntress cannot hit over that god pallet.

I disagree that other killers can counter god pallets. Chucky and Nurse are the only ones. Chucky's scamper is too slow and ineffective. The lousy turning rate does not help either.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,201
    Options

You can drop the pallet if he uses mage hand to lift it up. Vecna has lot of counters you can just crouch his other power too.

• ad19970
    Options

That's generally a very healthy attitude. But I will say that I have been playing a lot of matches with vecna already, which is why I come to the conclusion that Mage Hand is slightly overtuned. It's not by much either, I just think they need to increase the slowdown of Mage Hand ever so slightly and the ability will be perfect.

Tru3 has been making videos on how to use Mage Hand to minimalise the counterplay of Mage Hand. His videos are a good illustration of why I think it's slightly overtuned.

• Archol123
    Options
  • Archol123
    Options

Not a free hit is so much effort? If you don't think it is worth it, kick the pallet and use the dash afterwards...

• Archol123
    Options

Your argument requires basement to be in shack, which makes it invalid in all cases where it spawns somewhere else. There is no further away, doctor can hit you in shack no matter where you stand inside of it, unless you stand in in basement, at which point you are too far away to vaul the pallet anyway and he can just get the hit afterwards... Ordinary maps have like 2-3 god pallets... 1 of which is usually shack. He can prevent you from using that specific pallet no matter where it is, therefore counter it... Does not mean the map is not designed in a way that you can reach another tile does it?

Well and I think you are wrong about that.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,459
    Options

Chucky with scamper lasted nearly 8 months, it wasn't a case of they had these nerfs planned for release. They gave the scamper mechanic a good go but it just hasn't worked out.

I think chucky is still strong. He just leans more into stealth and slice and dice now.

• Akumos
    Akumos Member Posts: 16
    Options

Vecna takes way too long to accomplish anything and the survivors end up with his artifacts early every game somehow that are super OP, and the haste vs mage hand is OP too. He's weak af

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 487
    Options

Thats the reason I will never buy a licensed chapter for 6 weeks after release, because in the midchapter the new killer gets destroyed anyways.

Xenomorph got nerfed - no one plays him anymore

Chucky got "standardisized" - no one plays him anymore

Lich…. we will see it in a couple of weeks.

I wonder why they havent destroyed Unknown yet…. probably because its an Original-Killer.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 727
    Options

I'm not keen on the way they nerfed Chucky tbh. I tended to see him as a stronger 1 vs 1 Legion, with a slower base 110 movement speed to compensate for his strength in this regard. If Legion is all about zipping around the map to injure Survivors quickly and then picking them off later, Chucky is about getting fast downs against one Survivor at a time and generating his pressure that way. Sure, skilled Chuckys that can tame his Slice and Dice attack should still be OK, but being able to scamper under a pallet in Hidey-ho mode was vital for getting a fair few of my hits. Now that won't be possible anymore, he's less than he was.

This update has killed Chucky for more casual Killer players in my opinion and has made him less appealing for players of all skill levels.

As for Vecna, I think there will probably be some nerfs a few months from now. He's definitely not a weak Killer. I don't find Mage Hand to be particularly fun to face as it feels like there's not much you can do against it without getting lucky and finding the item that counters it in a chest. I doubt I'm the only Survivor player that feels this way.

• Archol123
    Options

I think it actually made him more appealing for most players, or at least those who wanted to use the dash more frequently and didn't want to just use scamper in that no brain fashion.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,293
    Options

But that's what so many of the vocal survivor community wants. Nobody wants to learn the counterplay, there is already countless threads on how OP Vecna is, they need to nerf him! Nerf him now, and nerf him hard!

The problem is that this very vocal side of the community that doesn't want to actually learn counterplay seems to be who BHVR listens to in the old "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 153
    Options

I mean ngl Chucky was unfair to play against at release; I don't keep up with his changes so don't know his state right now

his scamper ability was basically a guaranteed hit or down. Mind games are still sided for him to win considering you can't see him over most tiles and that screws your reaction time

don't know that they ever market any killer as a certain tier; they release a killer, likely sit back and analyze different analytics and make changes as needed

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,459
    edited June 5
    Options

Personally i miss the novelty of being able to scamper but i don't think it was good for the game. It wasn't good gameplay for survivors because pallets were a lose lose situation.

I don't think it's made him less appealing overall. There are chucky players who prefer having a shorter cooldown for more slice and dice attacks and more undetectable as well. It's unfortunate for the people that played him for scamper but BHVR just doesn't want it in the game. It would have been less disappointing if scamper never existed at all but i like that they tried to allow a killer to essentially vault pallets normally, just to see if it would work or not, unfortunately it doesn't. Seems like power vaulting, legion, wesker, and slice and dice scamper is where they want killers to be vaulting pallets to be.

Also yes i think mage hand will probably get nerfed too.

• RhodosGuard
    RhodosGuard Member Posts: 38
    Options

I think it's sad.
    Vecna isnt as good as people try to sell him being.
    All of his abilities can be countered, and even mage hand, the thing people hate him for, is just a signifier of a different problem:
    Survivors use Pallettes as crutches.

Mage Hand either lifts or holds a pallette.
    If you lift, the survivor can slam it again, so the only way you lose against a lift, is if Vecna is literally right behind you, or you keep running instead of waiting to either stun or drop again.

If you hold, then, again, you only lose if he is already behind you. In most other situations you just keep running the loop until the hold is over, and then drop pallette.

If they really nerf him, all it does is reinforce to me, that BHVR is biased towards survivors.

• RhodosGuard
    Options

Something being a core mechanic and a crutch are not mutually exclusive.
    Something that is strong and decides a lot of situations with usually very little thought?
    That is a crutch.
    A pallette is a crutch, if the second you cant utilize them as you used to, you cry to papa BHVR about how Mage Hand is broken and needs a nerf.
    And of course because that will be mostly survivors, BHVR will do that.
    they already announced it.
    Vecna was out for less than 2 days, and they already announced a nerf to one Ability.

But sure, it is probably complete coincidence that that ability is also the one that removes a lot of value from Pallettes.

If Lunge Attacks had double their range and made you immune to pallettes, it would be a crutch.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 798
    edited June 5
    Options

It’s a live service game lol

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

Yeah, I have watched a bit and it looks indeed overtuned. I would guess they will adjust a bit there.

I dont think that the main appeal should be that a Killer can deal with God Pallets. Bringing in Nurse as an argument is also not really the best, since Nurse is just busted and has always been busted and will (sadly) always be busted. There are so many Killers who cannot deal with God Pallets and those are doing well. So just leaving it in for that one Killer, despite how cheap it feels, would be wrong.

• ays12151
    ays12151 Member Posts: 580
    Options

Why everyone think Chucky received the nerf? He is much stronger in right hands and removed "W" under the Pallets to make it better for both sides.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 568
    Options

The whole game is basically designed around pallets, tiles & windows. Every map is designed around those 3 elements in one way or another.

How is utilising pallets a crutch? 99% of survivors would literally last seconds in most scenarios without them 😂

• ad19970
    Options

Yup seems like they already confirmed that it will receive a small nerf. Pick up time will go back to 0.5 seconds, which is good. Not the ideal nerf in my opinion but a good nerf nonetheless.

• RhodosGuard
    Options

You asked "How are they a crutch"
    And literally right after said "They would last seconds without them"

I said it somewhere else.
    But if being able to stop you from utilizing a mechanic once every 40 seconds is enough for almost all the survivors to throw a fit large enough to have BHVR nerf that spell less than 2 days after release, then maybe that is a sign that survivors rely on them too much?

If the only reason you survive chases is because you can force 50/50 Mindgames at pallettes, then it is a crutch no matter how much of a base element it is.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,571
    Options

Take away Killer lunges. Killer can only M1.

Now Killers kill rates drop.

That's a crutch apparently and not a core gameplay mechanic.

What an odd argument

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,384
    Options

I wish that BHVR would stop making 4.4 killers, if they aren’t allowed to have very strong powers.

I understand Chucky’s model is smaller than the average killer, but it still feels really bad to travel long distances as a 4.4 killer, when the killer’s powers have been nerfed so much that it feels like the killer should be bumped up to 4.6.

And I used to play Huntress very often, but the map reworks added so many line of sight blockers, and high walled loops, that I stopped playing her completely, because trying to navigate all that as a 4.4 killer was just too much, considering that her M2 opportunities are much rarer now.

I just wish that everyone (except Nurse) could be rebalanced as a 4.6 killer.