Options
2»

Comments

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 500
    edited June 7
    Options

@Brightened

Think that most of the killers that use aura perks are more casual than those who uses anti-gen perks. Killer who really want to sweat will use two to three anti-gen perks. Most of the time when i want to just have fun in a match - most of my matches - i use an almost complete aura build, specially when playing killer like the Artist or the Unknown.
    Limiting the type of perks which can be used in one build would lead to an even staller meta and would be very unhealthy for the game.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 642
    Options

How are you running out of distortion tokens? Vs any killer with a standard terror radius you simply cannot run out. I've only ever ran out vs a huntress with 4 aura perks.

• YayC
    YayC Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 83
    Options

Take off one of your gen rush perks or crutch exhaustion perks to run distortion which literally hard counters EVERY SINGLE AURA READ IN THE GAME.

Like how are you going to complain about aura read when there is a single perk you can run to completely delete the entire mechanic? If killer had a perk that made survivors be exhaustion 24/7 no matter what it would be literally the #1 used perk over night. You literally have that equivalent perk and you still want to nerf the aura read…

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,848
    Options

Interesting how people don't like Distortion but they never run perks that actually eats up all Distortion tokens
    Such as Gearhead and Eruption

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,061
    edited June 7
    Options

Eruption eats up regression events on the gen + the aura reading only matters if the Killer slugs and doesn't hook

Gearhead isn't that good from an accessibility point of view.

They have their weaknesses

• Rickprado
    edited June 7
    Options

Eruption is as effective as any other aura perk against Distortion if its Solo. It only eats 2 stacks if the killer uses the combo Eruption + Lethal. But people with Distortion can easily counter eruption by letting go of the gen before the survivor go down.

Gearhead is an "okayish" perk but it don't have a clear warning when the aura reading is active. But really, i've been trying to counter Distortion with Gearhead + Lethal + Nowhere to Hide and Eruption while playing the Unknown and even then was nearly impossible to get rid of all of the Distortion tokens from a user. The tokens recharge too fast and while in chase, which means that even after a quick chase the Distortion user will have all of its tokens back.

Distortion is a problem not because it can block some aura reading, but because it can block a whole aura build with little counterplay from the killer side.

• Ohyakno
    Options

You literally cannot run out of distortion tokens vs a standard terror radius killer no matter what perks they run. The tokens only come into play vs lower TR or stealth killers. It's a low effort high reward perk that nullifies an entire suite of killer perks.

Also eruption is a terrible perk and only uses one distortion token. I have no clue where this myth that anything eats two tokens comes from. There's nothing in the game that uses two tokens simultaneously.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,590
    Options

That's not completely true. A full aura build will eat through your tokens (or scratch mirror Meyers) to the point you'll run out eventually and need to refill tokens. It will make all that aura reading Abit inconsistent after, but your going to run out of they're dedicated to it.

• Ohyakno
    Options

Scratch mirror Myers is a substandard terror radius killer, like I mentioned. I am not exaggerating, vs a 32m terror radius killer you will not run out of tokens. It's impossible unless you actively avoid the terror radius and even then you'll probably have a hard time running out.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,590
    Options
  • Ohyakno
    Options

Yes, and I disagreed with your statement instead of line item refuting everything you said.

• Rudjohns
    Options

Seems like a map problem

Eruption uses 2 Distortion tokens

• Rudjohns
    Options

Regression events should be the least of your concerning if you are not going for the 3-gen strat. Its literally impossible to reach the limit of 8 playing normally, and if you do, either the survivors are throwing the game insisting on 1 gen or you are throwing the game by not patrolling the other ones.
    Also Eruption is not only for aura reading, it regresses the gen by a lot

Gearhead is great for exactly what I said, eats up Distortion tokens

Or you could just never use aura reading perks and let Distortion players run the game with 3 perks

• Rudjohns
    Options

Eruption uses 2 tokens by default unless the survivor hides in a locker within 10 seconds, and then they are not working on a gen for that period of time
    To let go of the gen means they need to know what's happening with the rest of the match, mostly SWF and aura reading should be the least of your concerning since they can communicate strategy with each other, such as hide in locker for BBQ or run away from the gen for Nowhere to Hide

I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone that says they use Gearhead and the survivors are still hidden. It feels like copium

Distortion is fine

• Rickprado
    Options

You are right, Eruption consumes two tokens by default. I've though it was 10s of aura reading but it is 12s.
    Gearhead is quite a niche perk - most of the time its active you are doing other things than looking at gens and the perk doesn't have any cue whenever its activated.

Anyway, if you don't believe, start playing killers with full aura builds and you will see that even with Gearhead and many aura perks its hard to burn all the distortion tokens from someone, specially on smaller maps.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,061
    Options

If the goal of bringing Eruption is just to regress the gen by a bit and chew through Distortion tokens, sure it's ok but other perks can either regress or chew through tokens better.

For Gearhead, because Survivor and gen auras are the same + no notification when Gearhead procs, it's not consistent.

I'm not disputing that there aren't perks to burn Distortion tokens, just that Eruption and Gearhead aren't ideal

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,380
    Options

So a survivor that suicides on hook is somehow an issue with Lethal Pursuer? Got it. If I dc against a group with 4 exhaustion perks, is that a problem with exhaustion perks then? I don't think so. Because the issue is the person that disconnected, not the perk that upset them. They would find another reason to disconnect, if it wasn't for that perk.

Back to your original point, I don't see the issue. All these perks do is help the killer stay in chase constantly. They have nothing else. Meaning, if you can manage in chase or spread out and push out gens then they are at a disadvantage.

However, I wouldn't be too opposed to your suggestion to limit the number of perks in one category killers and survivors can use. The problem is that this would kill some perks you pretty much only see in meme builds, which would reduce overall perk variety and some perks are meant to be used in combination with others, which would need to be considered too. That's quite difficult and not very realistic.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    Options

I saw this on a stream recently and thought of this thread:

Look at the range on that aura reading perk 'Weave Attunement' - literally 24m diameter. I couldn't fit it in the clip but he had 4 items on each corner of the map and saw the auras of everyone very frequently. Heck, he actually watched Claudette run around the entire map for a minute or two looking for hatch.

His build around the perk is a bit overkill too imo as you could argue he just needed Franklin's + Weave Attunement to pull this off.

The map is favorable, but this is a great example of why I believe survivors need more (conditional) aura-blocking perks.

• Rickprado
    Options

I haven't even got into the matter that Eruption and Gearhead aren't the best perks to regress gen and aura read ( i rather use Nowhere to Hide, Pop and BBQ). But i can assure you: even using a full aura build i had instances where i couldn't burn all the distortion token from someone, specially after a chase.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,219
    Options

Distortion counters 90% of aura reading perks the whole match, so I don't really see the problem. Off the Record to an extent too. Not sure what's with the antagonizing tone here. I agree there's too many aura reading perks but that's the way it is when they keep adding more and more stuff.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,455
    Options

I would be okay with aura perks being nerfed if distortion got nerfed too. Because i still think distortion is overpowered because of the amount of things it does and the amount of things it counters but i acknowledge that there is a need because there is a lot of effective aura reading.

• Ohyakno
    Options

Is there an excellent reason they couldn't have dropped their items in a corner?

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    edited June 9
    Options

Not having been in that game myself, I can only assume what their reasoning is.

That said, I do know from experience that there are games even as survivor that I feel pressured, rushed, and forced into uncomfortable scenarios that can skew my decision making and/or prevent me from acting in ways that I would otherwise like to. Pairing that with Franklins, that causes you to lose your items during heated moments, and it can be difficult to recall where the item drops; and that's assuming you have the available time to search for, pick up, and drop it elsewhere in the first place.

Considering that game was a 4 gen wipe, I can just assume the above reasons are why.

That said, I'm not debating about the perk's relative strength in this thread.

I just thought this was an excellent demonstration of how much aura reading a single perk can give, and an argument for providing survivors with more conditional and varied aura blocking perks.

• Fuzzycube
    Fuzzycube Member Posts: 228
    edited June 9
    Options

Aura perks are generally just for convenience.

For killers it’s to find survivors to chase and for survivors the most used perk in the game by far is Windows of Opportunity (To help loop the killer/see what pallets have been used) followed by Deja-Vu (Prevent 3 gen situations as well as find gens and do them slightly quicker) and Bond for general use.

If you nerf or limit them then you just make things harder for new or non lower MMR players and encourage people to play in a really sweaty way with four slowdown perks, etc.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 153
    Options

This is true, aura read is less sweaty than gen hold.

I love all-seeing stalker type builds on Ghostface and Myers, they're my favorite thing to run because I love going for the ambushes and cool chase mindgames. I am also super casual. Like extremely casual, to the point I take a 1k as a win because I didn't technically lose and the whole team didn't escape, therefore I win because I did my job as Killer.

I do run gen hold… as a technicality because otherwise, games run too fast and I get destroyed before I can have any real fun.