Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Do people actually think Survivor has no big issues?

WolfyWood
WolfyWood Member Posts: 451

Personally I've been opening this forum less and less because it feels so killer sided to the point where no one can voice survivor related problems anymore.

Seems like unless a post is sanitized to be killer friendly the same people jump in to 'debunk' it.

It's gotten to the point where it just feels like a giant on-going circular argument and it's gotten so predictable you can basically tell what someone is going to post just by reading the name.

Comments

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477
  • TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

It could be knee jerk inertia for some. For most of it's lifespan DbD was leaning survivor sided and now it's leaning Killer sided. There doesn't seem to be wide spread recognition of that on the forums and people tend to knee jerk reactions (instead of realizing that this is the best it has been for Killers overall and that puts a greater weight on dealing with issues for survivors that are caused by Killers).

Some of it, as well, is people not accepting that more than one thing can need changing at the same time and that it is possible for both roles to have issues that need fixing at the same time.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

just look at the shards

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 339

I've started lots of different discussions posts and I do see what you mean. Mostly about things that feel very hypocritical. I'm happy to say most of the time the conversations are very civil, though you will of course always run into some, "skill issue, git gud" comments on either side. But in my experience from posting quite a few discussions, there are more biased opinions leaning more towards one way. I don't think that means that there are necessarily more, as with the shift in the game in making killer the power role and making survival a 40%, more and more survivors have stopped playing so I don't think you see them on the forums as much.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do think the killer should be in the power role. I wouldn't mind maybe a small percentage more of a possible chance of survival, as right now I feel the game is very punishing for the survivor role, you're expected to play without making mistakes and there's so many different killers to learn with different counters without any kind of tutorial or advice given. But I have to admit it feels good to play killer right now, much more than it used to. Idk I have a super hot take in my head but I don't think it's the time or place to share it, especially cause I don't want to offend anyone.

But yeah, I get what you mean.

• Neaxolotl
    edited July 8

But then "tunneling" is only a problem in a community, this is quite obvious BHVR is trying to design the game with tunneling aspect at the very least

It's not too hard to remove it altogether anyway

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

Yeah Steam is the worst. You need a hazmat suit to shift through that much toxicity.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,280

You couldn't have said it better. Both sides have issues. I wish people would learn to see the game from both sides, and i always encourage people to play both sides to understand how they work and what problems there might be.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,962
    edited July 8

Haven't been here as long, but I've read and learned a lot in these forums, and one consistent issue I see is when a "Main" talks about an issue, there is a tendency to not acknowledge or account for the other sides perspective. One of the other things I like about this forum is there is much less tolerance for us vs. them argumentation.

Whether the point is valid or not, the lack of a balanced perspective puts immediate holes in an argument, and what I like about this forum is people check you often. If you can't provide a balanced perspective, that's when the argument gets shut down.

I've a few times argued a point myself, and those checks have often fed me new information that has meant I need to revise my perspective, or in some cases completely change it.

A valid issue I see with exploring issues for survivor, is a lot of survivor discussions look at the worst case scenario for survivor against the strongest killers, without looking at the ripple effect it has on weaker killers...but vice versa, the issue of weaker killers do hold back improvements for Survivor.

The Ultimate Weapon and MFT debates were for their respective sides, and are great examples where defenders of those perks would not acknowledge the gulf in effect where stronger killers got stronger and weaker killers got weaker. The DS buff is another great example, 5s is kinda needed on Nurse/Blight/Wesker/Spirit... but is far too oppressive for the likes of Trapper, Pig or Myers where it can be used to body block and bully them.

With this in mind, I don't think a post on survivor issues needs to be "Killer sanitizised", there is just a general demand here for stronger argumentation, and a greater consideration for the effects on the game as a whole, rather than hyper focusing on specific scenarios. This has happened for both sides in my time being here... and most people I talk to a generally reasonably receptive to opposing perspectives, even if the conclusion is we disagree.

• sinkra
    sinkra Member Posts: 386

The only way BHVR will care is if survivors start quitting en masse and killer queues go up to 10 minutes. They've made it very clear they want the game to be ez mode for killers.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 393

There's still stuff like hard slugging. Killers can have a rough idea of what the survivors are gonna play like just checking their items, but survivors have no clue what they're gonna face until the killer's plan is already in motion.

The fact that you won't have the tools to counter a hard slug scenario if you don't bring a full anti-slug build to every single match in the off-chance that you face that one-match-every-4-days that has a killer dedicated to end the game by not hooking anyone and just bleeding them to death is ridiculous.

You won't know it's happening until the second slug, and by that point resetting would be a miracle. If one of the two remaining survivors gets into a chase, forget about the game progressing. You're gonna be playing catch up until the entire team inevitably bleeds out to death.

There's also NOED spawning next to hooks, making it impossible to make an end game save. Which sounds fair when there's still 4 players, but is kinda awful when there's only 2 or 3 remaining.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 812

My killer que is already very long at daytime and increasingly more often at night as well.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Oh yeah the game is balanced around tunneling at the moment for sure. That's the thing, people just want tunneling removed, the end. What they don't realize is if it was removed completely it would come with significant killer buffs which I doubt any of them would be cool with.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

These forums are neither killer nor Survivor sided, as whenever I made a post about Surge and Rapid not being M1 perks only I got ratioed into oblivion. Same with when I said Huntress should’ve kept her movement speed, ratioed into oblivion again.

These forums are definitely feeling more 50/50 to me than ever honestly. But the problem solo queue has is for some reason survivors don’t really like to do their objective, I’ve had literal 5 minute matches where by the time I got to my 4th or 5th down all the gens were popped. I don’t know why they don’t do that 24/7. Maybe because it’s boring? Idk.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,481
    edited July 8

Exactly. People don't understand that "remove killer's pressure from X" = put this pressure in faster chases. And with already more fair / overnerfed maps, "killer can't do this this and this" mechanics and stronger killers overall I can't imagine how we make chase even more shorter and not boring at all. Every chase will be Haddonfield chase or what? Distance shortening simulator?

• TheSubstitute
    edited July 8

It's not about just removing tunneling; BHVR has demonstrated fully they're balancing off of Kill rates and the current goal favours Killer. I have no issue with that; it's about having fun while playing. Being in a game with tunneling doesn't make many players want to play DbD; it makes them want to play something else. It should be a given that if Killer rates drop below BHVR's goal Killers will get buffs. That's a good thing. What's not a good thing, however, is the gameplay being miserable enough for one side that it makes people play something else.

It's why I missed a week of the anniversary event. Tunneling was prevalent enough that I didn't want to play Survivor and, when playing Killer, I didn't have the heart to kill anyone since the survivors I faced probably experienced the same as me. So I didn't like Survivor play at all and couldn't bring myself to play Killer as intended so I just played Stellaris instead. That's not a good sign for a game.

If I recall correctly you liked my suggestion about how to deal with tunneling which was a general gen slowdown while all Survivors are alive and a substantial repair buff when a Survivor dies so the ideal strategy would be to get all Survivors on death hook first so tunneling gets disincentivized and Killers also don't see 2 or 3 gens pop by the end of the first chase as often. That wouldn't need substantial general buffs to any side as addressing the core game systems would eliminate the need. I'm sure BHVR could come up with something that addresses game mechanics as well.

• Blueberry
    edited July 8

"First point. There was a topic a week or two ago claiming tunneling only
    happens around 8%. With average of 57% kill rate. By that tunneling
    stats claim, the game is not balancing around tunneling. Are we going to
    agree that tunneling rate is high then?"

That was a reference to a different type of tunneling. I'm referencing games reaching a point where "someone needs to be removed" with how many gens are left. I think those are thought of differently, of which I am referencing the later. Unless we want to talk about tippy top high mmr matches of which it is balanced around tunneling of former, but that's not average or probably what you're referencing.

"Second point. For me, Im not against killers' buffs. But if Devs give
    Huntress 7 iri hatchets basekit, that broken thing still not stop
    killers to tunneling survivor. It happened with buffed Eruption."

Can we really not be hyperbolic? We go from killer buffs to 7 Iri hatchets? Really?

Eruption was an unhealthy designed perk I would agree and over tuned. However, I would disagree on the tunneling point. During the "gen kick meta" tunneling was significantly lower in my opinion.

"When there are buffs on survivors. Killers bring up scenarios that top
    MMR SWFs would make the perks combo broken. Same to killers' buff, still
    feel dirty with that Huntress buff patch because there are Huntress
    that still tunnel casual survivors."

Is how it effects top mmr swf not a valid concern? This isn't just a top 1% thing either.

While a lot of other killers needed improvements before Huntress I really don't see any issue with the Huntress buffs. Huntress isn't even one of the killers I really play, so this is mainly from me playing against her. Even after her buffs she isn't over tuned or anything. She's still even generally ranked as one of the funnest killers to face.

• Blueberry

• SkeletonDance
    SkeletonDance Member Posts: 305

Yeah, we know survivors have an issues. We always ask devs for soloQ improvements and balancing maps by removing deadzones

• SkeletonDance
    SkeletonDance Member Posts: 305

And also by fixing tunneling, camping and slugging

• Blueberry
    edited July 8

I mean yeah I want tunneling removed as well. I don't think the hard tunneling at like 4 or 5 gens is common at all though and most people vastly exaggerate scenarios as "tunneling" when it's not. I see it regularly said in my games even that I was "tunneling", when I don't tunnel at all. I intentionally go out of my way even not to tunnel.

There is different types of "tunneling" though, I use that term loosely here. Like when the killers getting down to 1 or 2 gens he needs to remove someone generally. I don't do this, but I could see someone calling this "tunneling". It's hard to have these conversations because everyone has different definitions of tunneling, we'd have to agree on definitions first for proper conversations probably.

I think some of the confusion I have with people in conversations here is me going back and forth between what I would consider tunneling and using tunneling in the sense of how many others would.

• Neaxolotl

The point is, BHVR is obviously never seeing tunneling as a "miserable" or anything, and the chances are they aren't even thinking it is that common, results in literally no fix coming

The boringnes of tunneling has been stated repeatedly, even from killers too, but BHVR literally has no interest in ACTUALLY "fixing" this problem

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

This is a beautiful take that I can mirror myself. At DBD reddit, I only take short desaster tourism vacations, the DBD steam forums are just a no-go area for me, but the DBD forums? I feel right at home, here.

• TheSubstitute

I think BHVR has tried to address it with incentives and doesn't want tunneling around. Friends Till the End, BBQ, etc give very little value unless you take advantage of the information and target someone else. Most aura reading perks (with the notable exception of A Nurse's Calling from many years ago) don't help you unless you target someone else. The Emblem system had BP and pip rewards that were diminished by tunneling and camping and the monthly rewards continue that incentive.

I think the main issue is that it's hard and requires resources. For example, with my suggestion it's bare bones. How much should gens slow down or speed up by? There's no way to guess without extensive play testing and in the meantime BHVR is still a corporation and needs to allocate resources to guarantee it's profitability in order to survive. I don't think it has anything to do with frequency as tunneling is far more common than 4 person slugging for the win and BHVR attempted to address that, albeit unsuccessfully, with its Last One Standing idea which never made it off the ground (no pun intended). If 4 person slugging, which is much less common than tunneling, is obviously on BHVR's radar then tunneling, which is far more common and more complained about, probably is as well.

The issue is how. No amount of gen slowdowns or perk rewards will stop tunneling from being more prevalent the higher up the MMR ladder someone goes. The optimal tactic in any team based pvp game has always been to remove a player from the other side while keeping yours. Here, only one side can lose players so what's the correct amount of incentives and disincentives ? That needs resources to determine and that becomes a matter of priorities. Player loss due to tactics such as tunneling is hard to measure but I'm of the opinion that BHVR does know that getting rid of tunneling would improve player retention but they're just unsure how to deal with it.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 898

Yeah, there's a bunch of kids on the forums who get offended if people are talking about any issues that don't affect them.

Most killer players on the forums are pretty reasonable. It just seems like the forum is killer sided, purely because these trash talking kids post whatever they want, get banned and create new accounts to keep running their mouths. They're not the majority, just loud with a fast respawn rate.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 451

The derailing is the worst part for sure. The whataboutism on this forum is frustrating.

• Neaxolotl