The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

2v8 points out a glaring issue

2»

Comments

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,826

Your experience is only one data point of the entire playerbase. Your opinion on the mode is just as valid as mine and as OP's, but no one's is the entire story. Just because you feel safe saying your subjective statistic is an accurate number does not make it so.

"I agree with you that 2v8 is a subjective experience, which was the whole point of my post. What's not subjective is actual data points and trends from the beginning of the event to now."

"Also to say that the mode isn't competitive while ignoring the surplus of killers who've now learned to slug at 3 survivors remaining to prevent hatches from spawning so completely disingenuous about the state of 2v8 it's unreal."

Soooo…what facts are there? One person claims this. One claims that. Does it mean there is a slugfest paradise going on or is it more calls in the fog? Also ignores how they explain that 2v8 shows "how overpowered killers are, especially if there are two running around."

The tome accelerates the progress of the rift because it provides rift fragments. You can only get those in the event mode. So no, you're wrong there.

Accelerates does not mean unobtainable. You do get rift fragments via normal matches. If you don't believe us then maybe this?:

https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Rift_Fragments

If you're trying to construct narratives instead of trying to have a discussion, that says a lot.

So from what we've seen it started with:

followed by you bending that into a this:

and further down the rabbit hole we go.

Seems like your trying to twist a narrative to us (maybe the incorrect word, but far as we know it fits). radiantHero finds the mode fun and stated why they do and suggested to try and be empathetic (showing an ability to understand and share the feelings of another: in this particular case the positive ones) about the ones who enjoy it. You then state that they told the OP that their opinion is no good (we dont see anything there on that) and told them to be happy for them. Now, if thats not a bend and twist we don't know what is.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,892
    edited July 30

Your jumping to extremes a bit fast are you not?

Please present one person here on the forums that genuinely enjoys fomo. Im waiting. If you can actually find someone like that, I will tell them: "Im glad that you enjooy the fomo-aspects of dbd. I personally dont like them for … reasons." So yes, I do. Why? Because its a game. Its not that serious. If someone enjoys something about a game, who am I to tell them that they shouldnt. If I see someone enjoying something, I can be happy for them. Simple as that. If I get a bad grade in one of my papers but my friend got a better one, I can be happy for that friend and that most of the time lifts my mood as well.

Have you looked at the event tome? 6 out of the 11 quests can be done without playing the game mode at all. only 5 of them are related to playing 2v8. To get the charms and cosmetics (if there are any) you dont need to play 2v8 that much. I suppose, that OP plays a lot more survivor than killer from their sentiment towards the role. Therefore, they would only have too play 2v8 for 2 quests. These being:

• safely free survivors from cages 4 times.
    • play the guide class 1 time.

The second quest is finished in one trial regardless of the outcome of the match. The first one could take a bit more time. However, at a minimum, these quests take 2 matches. Thats not a lot. If there where like 6 or 7 survivor-quests that could only be done via the 2v8 mode then that would be a different story. I dont even know whether or not these twoquests are mandatory mind you. Its possible that one does not have to play the mode at all to get the rewards.

Im sorry, but if somebody just wants to complain about their experience with seemingly little intention to change their perspective, then I dont know what they even want to do here. Let off some steam? That is fine by my terms but not very constructive in creating a discussion. Is there a good discussion here about 2v8? I dont see it thus far. Our discussion has been more productive that the one OP started if I may say so myself.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I don't think killers are overpowered, they are meant to be strong and not something you can evade continually unless you are in the top 1% of players against an average player. It is a 4 v 1 not a 1 v 1 so killers need to be stronger than survivors in a 1 v 1.

That being said, I am not a huge fan of this mode for survivor, as I feel that MMR is off and I am constantly matched with absolutely clueless survivors who don't do gens and who go down instantly.

I don't think the 2 v 8 mode is at all balanced, I feel it is very killer sided with the exception being if the killers are inept and not on comms.

I can see how this event would be a lot of fun for killers, taking the pressure off you as you are no longer the sole killer and you can play with a friend which would be nice. But for me as a survivor main, 400% BP bonuses are still not worth it

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 808

Playing a ton of 2v8 I can safely say its a survivors sided gamemode that's failing for survivors because they ain't focusing on doing objectives they just running around wasting time but when you actually get decent teammates you stop the 2 killers gens fly so fast when you get competent teammates

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122

It's way easier to escape in 2v8 than 1v4 if the Survivors have some idea of how to play.

Isn't there a free weekend ongoing? It could just be more potatoes joining matchmaking.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Well, there is some merit to this for sure.

Trouble is MMR is very clearly off, as I find myself being matched with survivors who don't do gens, who hide in corner and go down instantly. The fact MMR is off makes this mode feel very killer sided… dependent on matchmaking RNG.

If I get good team mates who actually do gens then yeah sure, it feels like its survivor sided. But most matches this is not the case due to MMR being off and my average lobby is full of terrible survivors

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 550

I am aware that this is a mode where more than half of the survivors will escape in about 5 minutes at most, unless the survivor abandons the Gen. Were you playing a different game than the 2vs8 mode the topic owner is playing? This mode is a brutal mode that ends prematurely if the survivor is doing more than usual (working on Gen).

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,150

I think you mixed up the words mode and game. 😜

It's the same in normal mode.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

I'm actually suprised to not see more slugging, esp. when there are no perks to counter it in 2v8.

Most killers really enjoy going for multiple hooks and chases, thanks to them all!

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,532

It's not that deep. Nobody's family is getting face camped and your loved ones aren't getting tunneled either.

What's the issue with stating your opinion? OP did the same thing. They didn't mark it as their subjective opinion either because talking about whether or not something is fun already implies that it's an opinion.

If you didn't get that, then just read a sentence further.

Playing killer with a friend is the most fun ive had in dbd in a very long time.

This is personal experience, once again implying that all of this is his opinion. The only one looking bad here is you for attacking someone that disagreed with OP, for what reason exactly? Because you disagree too and need to devalue others' opinions?

If anything that last paragraph you typed looks more like you're trying to establish a fact than anything @radiantHero23 said. Do you have any evidence to support that claim? Because in my survivor games this hasn't been an issue, so I can only assume this is your opinion. But then again, you called someone out for not stating that their position on 2v8 was subjective, so surely you wouldn't make the same mistake, right?

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811
    edited July 30

You say @Valuetown is ‘attacking’ @radiantHero23 but I don’t see that at all. Hero’s comment was dismissive (“if you don’t like it just don’t do it”). Obviously OP knows they don’t have to play 2v8. The statement made by hero comes off as silencing tbh. Not sure why that’s something you’re resisting.

and FYI I’ve seen the slugging too. Not sure why common tactics that work would be exempt from this game mode. FWIW.

• radiantHero23

I did not say this in any form of mean intent. Its simple logic that if one does not like to do something, they should reconsider doing it. Especially when it comes down to leasure time activities. This obvioulsy does not mean, that the mode is above criticism. Nothing is. However, complaining about something just to vent isnt helping anyboody then oneself. Its like screaming into a pillow with your whole family around. What do you expect your family to react to that? Coonstrucitve criticism is great and leads to discussion. Venting often leads to nothing but a horrible mood. Just like this thread has evolved into.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 294

I'm not really seeing how your quotes disprove anything I said, in fact they highlight what I'm talking about, so thanks for making my point for me. I said that everyone's opinion on the mode is just as valid as everyone else's, mine included. The only stance I took was saying that slugging does happen and to say that people don't play competitively in this mode is not accurate from what I've seen.

Accelerates does not mean unobtainable. You do get rift fragments via normal matches.

The tome rift fragments are literally unobtainable if you do not do the tome. If you want quick progress to get the cosmetics down the line in the rift, you are incentivized to do the event tome. If you don't, that can lead to FOMO. Either you're averaging 1.5 fragments per match without the tome, or you can get more 50 by doing challenges on top of 1.5 per match. I don't really know what you're not understanding there.

So my initial criticism about a post that DOES dismiss the feelings of OP is somehow spinning a narrative? What?? I would lay off the buzzwords for a while until you actually know what they mean or at least have the integrity to apply them where they are actually applicable.

• Valuetown

Like I said above, sometimes people just need to say they're dissatisfied with something in order for good discussion to happen. Like you said, our discussion has been relatively productive, and that is with the OP only saying that they're dissatisfied. That's exactly what I mean.

• Valuetown

If you read the entire thread, you'd see that I said my opinion on the mode is no more valid than other people's. 👍️

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,649

Many of the survivors that aren’t repairing generators, are doing so because of the class system.

I want stats on average number of generators repairing, per class, per game….. so we can see if the medic class is averaging way lower than average. I’m also wondering if a lot of scouts are also repairing below average, because they want to follow around the killers instead of helping repair.

• radiantHero23

But our discussion is about something completely different. OP is also not part of it at all. They only wanted to vent, which is fine, but not productive at all.

• Valuetown

Not entirely different. A discussion on the merits or lack thereof of FOMO and whether or not those decisions should be made for a fraction of the playerbase and just accepting that is very much relevant to what OP was talking about.

• Xernoton

For a game, the "don't like it, don't do it" argument works pretty well, don't you think? Games are supposed to be fun and if you don't have fun playing 2v8, then don't play it. You can of course criticise and suggest improvements but op didn't really do that. There was no "killers are op because…" or "please change X thing", so it wasn't constructive. It was just a pointless "killers op, game mode trash".

Also, @Valuetown focused on the fact @radiantHero23 didn't mark it as his opinion, which in this context isn't necessary (after all, they said fun is subjective themself, so it's already implied to be a matter of opinion anyway) and not really on the part you find to be dismissive. That's what I responded to.

and FYI I’ve seen the slugging too. Not sure why common tactics that work would be exempt from this game mode. FWIW.

I realise, my choice of words on that part was sub perfect. My apologies. What I meant to say is that I don't think this happens as often as @Valuetown implied.

Of course some people will slug. Some probably will proxy camp and tunnel as well, it's just that I haven't enocuntered that issue as often, so I don't think it's as prevalent. In all my games in this game mode I remember that I was slugged once because someone else was right next to me (and to be fair, it's only natural the killer would slug me there). But nothing more than that, because it's simply not necessary.

I agree with that. We all are just random people who do or don't enjoy the 2v8 with different ideas on how to improve it. Good to know we're on the same page here. 👍️

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

I have to disagree. Im very open about my feelings towards the main game mode where killers are indeed overpowered and in need of some heavy adjustments which you can see in my previous posts. However, in this mode, killers are balanced. A good killer team will know when to work together and when to split apart and a win is guaranteed if the killers are skillful in their play style. Same goes with survivors. I hope they keep 2v8 around because I dont want to return to the base game after this.

• Ayodam

You may not have intended your statement as such but the impact was that it is dismissive. Multiple people here have perceived it that way, which should tell you maybe, just maybe, your choice of phrasing was dismissive. I’m sure as it’s gonna rain again on this earth that if you were making a critique about something and a random person said “just deal with it,” “just get over it,” or “don’t like it? Just ignore it,” you would feel that they were dismissing your opinion. You definitely wouldn’t just deal.

• Ayodam

This isn’t a game; it’s a public forum where people can express, critique, and defend their ideas and opinions. If people dislike something they have every right to say that here. The response to basically shut down their critiques by saying “well if you don’t like it just ignore it” it silencing. Full stop.

• radiantHero23

We did not discuss fomo at all. You just took that as an extreme example to prove your point. Somoething you also never mentioned again after I pointed out my opinion on it. Similar to the tome-problem, where I pointed out that there are only two mode-related quests for the survivor side which require a minimum of 2 matches. You also didnt react to that in some sort of way. So no, we didnt discuss that either.

We talked more about feeling empathy and venting being a bad base for a reasonable discussion.

• Ayodam

The irony here is that the same way you came in here and told someone with valid critiques about the game “don’t like it? Don’t play it” is the same way you could have scrolled past this thread. Don’t like it? Don’t read or comment. See how that works?

• Rage_In_The_Cage
    Rage_In_The_Cage Member Posts: 36

I died in my first couple of survivor matches but then escaped every one of them until my last one yesterday and in that one I ran a Wraith way across the map away from the last gen being done so that the few other survivors left had more of a chance. Haven't seen any of this slugging.

I've only done maybe four or five killer matches because of the queue but haven't had a single survivor escape. They just don't do gens. Same problem as regular DbD. Also I had no idea THREE hatches spawn for survivors. Ridiculous. I closed all three last night as Trapper in a match and was expecting to find two or three more.

Just had a match where this Lara was running me quite well on Crotus in areas where I hadn't set up traps and at the end I injured her and chased her to a hatch that I closed before she could make it, then like 45 seconds later I came to another hatch and closed it and who do I hear near it injured but Lara.. downed her and killed her. Forget these survivors, man.

Do gens.

• radiantHero23
    edited July 30

I very much see how it works. However, if someone calls me out on something, im gonna respond. Also, you see OP´s venting as good critique? Really? So if I say: dh is still waaaaaay too op, should be nerfed immediately!" Thats also valid ciritcism? I dont see that as constructive at all. Sorry.

Also. We are talking about different things. 2v8 is a game mode that only HAS to be played for 5 quests in the tome. 2 of them being related to survivor. Other than that, its completely optional. One does not have to play it. Does that mean its above criticism? No. Nothing is. However, as I literally said before in this very thread, criticism should have something productive to it. Venting is not really productive. Therefore my advice in my first post. OP clearly isnt here to start a constructive disscussion on how to change the game mode. They are proposably here to find an echo chamber for their opinion. If im wrong, I would love to hear it.

• Ayodam
    edited July 30

I mean I might not share OP’s perspective but I’m not gonna tell them to shut up & deal or go away. I’m going to participate/contribute my thoughts where I feel it’s most appropriate to do so. It’s not my job nor is it my right to tell someone on this public website that they can’t share their opinion; they should just deal with a disliked feature of the game they play by ignoring it. You weren’t specifically called out by OP; at no point did they summon or @ you. They didn’t go to your thread where you expressed a contrary opinion and attempt to derail or invalidate your opinion with their own. They created their own topic to express how they feel about a game feature, just like you could do. You, like everyone else here—including OP—decided you wanted to share your opinion and did so. We ALL have that right here, whether you personally agree with certain takes or not.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263

Yah, and me tapping a generator every two or so minutes and leaving at the slightest hint of terror radius is a legit strategy to outlive the two others while not breaking the rules. Nothing wrong with that either then, I suppose.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,826

Try reading what we typed, actually reading not glancing, not skimming, but reading, and try again.

So my initial criticism about a post that DOES dismiss the feelings of OP is somehow spinning a narrative? What?? I would lay off the buzzwords for a while until you actually know what they mean or at least have the integrity to apply them where they are actually applicable.

Frankly , yes your tryin. Look at what they typed then your own post. We recommend knowing what you type before calling us out on not knowing what words mean.

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 623

Absolutely. You play the way you want so long as game physically allows you to. Whenever it is fun to any side is a subject to debate but then the concept of fun is also purely subjective and has no universal meaning.

• radiantHero23
    edited July 30

Did I tell them to not share their opinion? All I said is, that their post is not very constructive. I was called out, not by OP, but by @Valuetown. I stated at multiple points in this thread that venting is fine by me.

• Xernoton

We are talking about a game. If you don't like the 2v8 mode, then don't play it. That was what @radiantHero23 said and I agree with that.

Neither I, nor @radiantHero23 have said that you shouldn't voice your opinion on the game mode. What I did say however is, that @Valuetown either misunderstood his post by saying he made it sound like facts or they tried to make him look bad because they disagree. One of these 2 cases is definitely true and judging by their response, it's probably the first one.

I don't understand where you take the silencing thing from. Voicing your opinion is totally fine but other people can and will disagree. I have also told multiple people that obviously were upset over the game to take a break because sometimes you need to hear it from someone else. This has nothing to do with silencing though. It's someone else reminding you, that it's just a game and that the reason you play it is to have fun, not to be frustrated.

There is a difference in voicing critique and playing the game. You can do either without doing the other. OP probably wanted to vent more than anything else (considering they haven't responded to any posts here). If that is indeed the case, then what is wrong about doing that and taking a break from the game or game mode? You can still give your opinion but it can't hurt to take a break if you don't enjoy playing.

The whole silencing argument might work, if op had actually explained what was in their opinion wrong with the game mode but they didn't really do that. I take it they have an issue with some killers slugging but what does that have to do with killers being overpowered? And how does "2 killers overpowered ⇒ 1 killer overpowered" work? It could be 2 tier 1 Myers with a 32 metres TR and the killers would still have the upper hand against 1 survivor. But against 8, that is a different story. If anything the balance swings wildly depending on who has the better loadout (classes and killers) and who is better coordinated (similar to the normal game just way more extreme, given that 60% kill rates are BHVR's idea of balance).

• Ayodam
    edited July 30
  • Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422

How is it an awful mode for survivors? The regular mode also has limited play options for survivors. The only thing you can't do in 2v8 is flashlight saves, but the class system is a fun change up.

There's a lot more going on and you have far more options than the regular mode. I don't see how anyone can enjoy the regular game and not at least have some fun for a couple weeks with 2v8 unless you're a super sweaty tryhard who only wants every mach to be as competitive as possible.

More killers and maps would be nice, but that's really all that needs to change. Maybe another survivor class or two.

• Ayodam

People can express their views in as much or little detail as they’d like here. Not everyone is going to produce a dissertation-length comment to legitimate their opinion, nor is that a requirement for participation in this forum. Frankly, I don’t believe you give a lump about OP’s opinion but I’ll play along. So if you felt Elodie was vague why didn’t you ask them to clarify? Or offer more of their opinion? All you did was come here, interject yourself into an argument to defend Radianthero, and attack someone else while doing it. You haven’t contributed anything relevant to OP’s initial topic.

• radiantHero23

You did. You implied, that I told op to "go away" or that their or that their opinion isnt worth anything.

• Ayodam
    edited July 31

Is an implication a direct statement? I’m asking because you implied something earlier and I want to make sure your standards apply to us both. As for your second comment, no, I’m not. I’m also not using OP’s point as a sudden smokescreen to distract from being called out for what I am doing. On topic, I mentioned that I personally disagree with OP’s take on balance here but it’s not my right to tell them they can’t express that. If I were interested in directly engaging them on it, I would have. I got distracted when I saw you and your defender dogpiling Valuetown.

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 696

Unfortunately, that's not working. I really want to play killer but I'm not going to wait 30 minutes for a match, which has happened. So I've been playing survivor this whole time and whenever I do try to jump onto killer, it's the same issue. I think a lot of people are playing survivor already for this reason.

• radiantHero23
    edited July 31

If it wasnt your intention, then why do you mention it at all. I never told op, or anybody else for that matter, that their opinion or their post was invalid or that they had no right to make their opinion heard. I think I stated that enough at this point. Quite the opposite. I try to encourage people here on the forums to make their opinions heard and love to engage in constructive discussions. You might have missed that. If it has nothing to do with the argument, then please dont imply it. It just comes off as you trying to accuse me of something that I never did.

This whole thing started because @Valuetown called me out on something, in a rather rude way I might add. I reacted calmy to their agrument and tried to reason with them. This has seemingly been an misunderstanding that has been resolved at this point. At least I hope so.

Your the one continuing this debate for whatever reason.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263
    edited July 31

Fair enough - but I suppose we can agree to disagree on a very fundamental thing. - I think both, what you described and what I described, should not be a thing in a game. Just because a it's allowed by the game, doesn't make it good (otherwise patches/updates post-release wouldn't be a thing).

My gripe with both strategies is primarily time; it's an absolute waste of time. What spoils my fun is that my time is being wasted. And what I find it distasteful/anti-social/morally telling is if someone derives joy from wasting other people's time. That's just my opinion on it though. I'm also in the camp that says a joke at the expense of someone else isn't a good joke and is usually - by virtue of being at the expense of someone else - not funny. It's a similar thing, in my eyes.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

And the other glaring issue is this: the killers can only chase two survivors and if the others priorities gens only a little, the big metal boxes will fly like it's noones business. Heck, I have seen 5 finishing in rapid progression. And well, of the killer gets stuck in a prolonged chase, that's a more brutal GGEZ then in the main game.

It's actually the same as with the base game: that side with more gaming sense and fewer mistakes/missplays usually wins.

Killer working together can obviously down ANY survivor in a matter of seconds, but that leaves 7 unattended. It's only the turned off MMR that shoves utter potatoes into everyone's matches, that allows the big snowball for killers. I have had a couple of legit 23 hooks at 6 gens, but also so so many more escapes than in he base game. You can so often just sit on a gen for 90-skill checks seconds and just finish it uninterrupted, and that is only (barely) held in check but COMPLETELY omitting travel time and hooking from the equation.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,664

Just quickly reminding everyone to please keep the discussion constructive and respectful, no need to attack one another over a disagreement, let's focus on the topic.

Thank you.

• Xernoton

Read my posts again. I did not attack anyone. I clarified that someone made a fuss over nothing. These are 2 very different things. OP#s opinion also hasn't been up for debate initially. The only reason we are talking about that is because you accused me of trying to silence someone, which I did not. This goes against my core believes.

By the way you accuse me here, it seems more like you are attacking me than anything else. I interjected because someone completely misunerstood a post and went on a little rant over it (maybe "rant" is a bit strong but you get my point). That part is correct and I will not apologise for it. It is as much my right to do so as it is yours and you used yours to interjected in an exchange that did not concern you either.

Ironically you are the one who keeps this whole drama up, when @Valuetown read my post, gave their thoughts about it and we came to an understanding. How is that contributing anything relevant to OP's topic? Or is it only irrelevant if someone else does it? All of this could have ended with their comment to my post and my response.

I can tell, that you are unable to look at this situation rationally, so I'll do us both a favor and end this conversation here.