We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Hex Perk placement

I think it's fair to say that it can be a bit disheartening when your hex totems have bad placement causing them to be destroyed very early in the match.

I suggest allowing the killer to select where their chosen hexes are in one of two ways:

1. The Hexes aren't active until the killer has placed them by having dull totems auras shown and highlighted when killer looks in that direction with a prompt to select said totem as the hex
  2. The match doesn't start until killer has had a small time limit to place totems via a bird's-eye view of the map (if they do not place them then RNG kicks in)

I would imagine option 1 would be easier to implement but I would like to know if this is a good idea or not

Comments

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 941

What would stop the killer from placing something like Ruin next to a three gen and just patrolling that area? Being able to choose the location could be exploited to make matches absolute hell.

I think a better solution would be to not have a Hex activate until it's conditions are met. So Devour wouldn't activate until you got two hooks, as it requires two tokens to activate. Failing that, a Hex could randomly spawn into the map on a delay, so it couldn't be pre-cleansed.

• Linkdouken
    Linkdouken Member Posts: 114

That's true but I guess there could be certain restrictions on totem locations or gen placement. It does get a little more complex though..

What you are saying is probably best and much easier to make possible

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,036

In my opinion it'd be better for a hex totem to appear dull until a survivor has been cursed by it. For example, if Dwight has touched a gen, which revealed Ruin to him, and Meg has not, Dwight would see the corresponding totem lit while Meg does not. This would make Totems have more longevity, as hunting them would be reactive, not proactive. As for haunted, perhaps it simply appears after another totem curses a survivor, without revealing itself.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

Totems should have better hidden spawns in general. Not right next to generators or in the middle of a high traffic area, or in really obvious spots.

Problem for boons, you say? Increase their range! And lower the sounds they make, these things are loud as a vacuum cleaner!

• Linkdouken

Yes indeed. Sometimes totem spots are ridiculous.

The boon sound is actually a hindrance as a survivor - it can so easily mask a quiet killer

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 667

The developers don't really care about totem placements and hexes in general. We told them so many times how bad nearly every totem spawn is and they still don't learn it - best example is the greenville map (a new map) where a totem spawns right next to the generator in the mainbuilding. They also refuse to introduce a good totem defender like a corrupt intervention but just for totems or that the hexes get active when it gets active - e.g. Devour Hope or Lullaby glow up once it gets their first token, Ruin glows up once one survivor lets go off a generator. The best totem defender is Thrill of the Hunt (+ Face of the Darkness). With Dracula we will get Dominance which blocks a totem for eight seconds when a survivor touches it the first time but this Perk is rather bad because eight seconds is not much and the chest part is also a downside: You should be greatful when the survivors waste their time with a chest. So why should you prevent this and tell them: WORK ON A GEN! Lastly, totems (as well as the mentioned Dracula Perk) suffer from the issue that they are weaker against SWF than against SoloQ. A SWF can call out a hex location - SoloQ is not able which means when a survivor knows your totem location, you can keep them busy to prevent a cleanse.

To make totems better, the developers need to rework every totem spawn - they should never spawn next to a generator or loops (= places where survivors like to be). Then, they should introduce new and good hex defend perks. Maybe also increase the time it takes to cleanse a hex totem. Lastly, they should also rework Pentimento because it is a rather unhealthy Perk and also hurts hex perks as well as some hex builds.

• Linkdouken

I haven't been able to play the PTB due to being a console player so I am looking forward to testing out Dominance (as well as the rest of the Castlevania stuff) but I did see Otz talking about how they shouldn't be punishing chest searches - exactly why Weave Attunement is a very sucky perk to go against because the only slight counter is to avoid anything to do with items at all.

Thrill of the Hunt used to be better for totem defence from what I remember.

I personally like Hex Pentimento just for an extra challenge in trying to get it at max stacks but perhaps it does need a bit of a change