The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Survivors Giving Up Epidemic

Comments

• TiredDBDenjoyer
    TiredDBDenjoyer Member Posts: 16

I never said you should be forced to play out those kinds of matches, I'm not naive and I know solo queue is miserable from personal experience. It's why I think the overall healthier option is to just remove the DC penalty and let people who don't want to play DC and just start banning people who give up on first hook since they're intentionally griefing their teammates at that point.

• TiredDBDenjoyer
    TiredDBDenjoyer Member Posts: 16

See I think this is where it gets difficult when discussing these kinds of things because different Killers have the game easier/harder depending on which ones you're playing. Killers like Wraith, Nurse, Clown, Spirit, Trickster, and Skull Merchant can pretty easily achieve 4Ks without even putting in remotely the same effort as Killers like Hillbilly, Huntress, Pig, Deathslinger, Pyramid Head, Nemesis, Wesker, etc. Ultimately that comes down to individual Killer balance and how strong/weak the devs want simpler killers to be. Which, if Skull Merchant is anything to go by, is pretty strong or at the very least oppressive and boring. Survivor gameplay, for the most part, is a lot simpler than Killer gameplay. You're almost always either on a generator hitting skillchecks, healing and still hitting skillchecks, unhooking your teammates, or getting chased which is arguably the hardest part about playing Survivor as it requires extensive map knowledge and killer knowledge to last even a moderate amount of time.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 149

Just want to point out even that escape rate is skewed because he didn't count games where Survivors dc'd. (And possibly even if they killed themselves on hook although I can't remember for sure.)

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,427
    edited August 26

Many of these problems could be fixed if survivors just had a little more info and a few ways to communicate as a team. Like seeing self unhook progress on the HUD, with a clear indicator when the killer is nearby and it is going up. Or being able to ping perks to make them show up on HUD next to your character for a little bit, and make it easier for your teammates to play around them.

Or finally, the text command system from DBD mobile! You can straight up tell people "I'm getting camped, don't rescue" or "I'm going for the rescue". I don't get why BHVR are so reluctant to improve solo q. Sure it's "gameification" but still, so what? The game isn't about horror once all the players know how to play, then it's about chase and saves and hooks and gens.

We need a "survivor HUD part 2" update. Obviously it won't help matchmaking and bad teammates, but it would make teamwork easier for everyone. Or we could just balance the game around hooks instead of kills, by rewarding spreading hooks in such a way that tunneling actually isn't the best option. Not sure how, but we could always try.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263

Or maybe there are things in this game that make it pointless to even attempt to play the match normally that you can only see once you load in. Or maybe the first thirty seconds have a disproportionally huge impact on the rest of the match. - Or do you want to restrict your complaint solely to several people DCing ten or twenty seconds into the match being an epidemic? In that case: I don't observe that and I would love to see some recent examples. Maybe looking closer at the situation might shed some light on the situation.

Well, if you consider players playing a game wanting to have fun and not being willing to put up with everything that could potentially be thrown at them entitlement, then yes. I suppose survs are entitled. As is every other player who ever complained about anything that is mechanically possible in this game and they found no enjoyable in one way or the other.

Slight tangent but that is, imo, another thing why 2v8 was so popular: It being so limited in terms of what stuff you could get also meant you could make a good judgement call if you really want to sign up for that or not. There were only so many things you had to expect and be alright with. And at least from what I can tell while throwing did happen in 2v8 too, it was pretty few and far inbetween. — In normal game mode, however, there is just so much stuff that anyone could quite reasonably not be alright with they wouldn't play the game to begin with if they expected to encounter these things. - But the chances of it occuring are so slim that it doesn't justify not playing the game altogether. Kinda how the chance of getting into a traffic accident rarely stops people from driving.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183
    edited August 26

I never said you're not allowed to complain about things. You are allowed to not like something and be vocal about that.

You shouldn't, however, be able to ruin the game early for the rest of the players just because you don't like something in the game. There are plenty of killers I personally dislike playing against, but I will play the match out because I respect the time of the other players in the lobby.

I really don't know why people find this acceptable. In any other team PVP game, disconnecting/leaving when your opponent picks something you don't like is rightfully frowned upon, and generally not allowed in any way without an abandon penalty.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,656

The biggest issue that was completely in the killers control is lobby dodging. That actually ruined the game for 5 other players, not just 4.

It took them a year after testing the feature to finally hide prestige, so it's unlikely we'll get anything more to combat lobby dodging any time soon.

• ReverseVelocity

There's plenty of other PVP games with a huge range of content you can potentially face up against. If I immediately ragequit a lobby of Rainbow Six because one of the defenders picked Clash, I'd get laughed at.

If I suggested being able to open the exit gates at 5 gens because I faced 4 Sprint Bursts as a killer or something, that'd be a ridiculous suggestion. I don't know why the same isn't true vice versa.

Either way, not knowing which killer you'll face shouldn't be an excuse to allow you to ragequit early without penalty. This just isn't a thing in other games.

Hook suicides shouldn't be a thing. If you can't take the good matches with the bad matches, then you shouldn't really be playing the game. I think quitting entirely over the odd Skull Merchant match would be a silly thing to do, but you shouldn't be able to be selective about it. You shouldn't really be able to pick and choose what you do or don't play against, that's generally not how PVP games work.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 339

nail on the head for the whole punish people more argument

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 683

Kindred and Bond basekit would be a better way to help SoloQ and on SWF these perk dont help. That "BUG" few weeks ago where u completed a gen and 2 gens pop instead 1 was a ghost test to help survivors where killer tuneled with 5 or 4 gens up or if anyone given up. That wasnt a bug, was a ghost test to a future anti tunnel system or give up prematuraly to help the remain survivors.

• ReverseVelocity
    edited August 26

I mean, getting banned for abandoning games early is generally standard practice in PVP games. We have that in DBD with the disconnect penalty, you can just sidestep it with hook suicides. I don't think people should be permabanned for ragequitting, but an abandon penalty should be followed.

People who are burnt out of the game shouldn't be playing it. They're invested because of sunk cost fallacy, and they're only damaging their own mental health. They also tend to ruin games for other people because of their attitude surrounding the game as a whole.

I'm not suggesting that we crash down on these kinds players with the fury of a thousand suns, but they shouldn't be able to ruin games for others by leaving early.

Ultimately, removing the ability to tap out early without getting a DC penalty will be a good thing in my opinion. It'll be the push some people need to realise "I'm actually really sick of this game and should stop playing it" instead of throwing themselves at lobbies in the hopes that they'll get a lobby that they remotely find fun.

If players stop playing because they can't stand actually playing a game to it's completion, then that's a good thing. For them and everyone else. They don't actually want to play the game, but they haven't realised it yet, like you said. It sucks that the game has reached a state that they can't personally tolerate, but that's just how things go sometimes. People change, things change.

I'm not saying that this should be the angle BHVR take INSTEAD of addressing player frustrations, either. They both need to be done together. The game being less frustrating is a good thing for everyone playing it, but if you can't handle it in it's current state, then please for your own sake and everyone else in the lobby's, pick up another game in the meantime.

• Hiyadashi_Miyazake
    Hiyadashi_Miyazake Member Posts: 4

i play in sea and no survivor give up. Sorry u get this

• Halloulle
    edited August 26

On a side note: oddly enough "the odd skull merchant match" happened to be four in a row (all of which borderline unbearable - so yes, when the sixth of that evening rolled around I decided I wasn't going to waste another 15 minutes on that).

I don't play that game, so I don't get the reference. - But from what I know it's one of those shooters? Quick question: How do people generally treat spawn-camping snipers and their victims ragequitting as a result of never getting further than a meter from spawn? Would these "rage quitters" also be laughed at? And how would people who load into a match where the entire other team consists of snipers be treated if they assumed enough of them gonna be spawn campers to not want to play that match?

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 387

I don't think the Vecna with the item drop build staring at me and realizing I wasn't the player that he hooked and then immediately turning around and leaving me alone without even trying to chase me is a problem of survivors needing more information, I'm gonna be honest.

Like, yeah, making informed decisions is great and all, but at some point we have to admit survivor play is as fun as killers want it to be. I didn't even have that many bad team mates last night; that one match against Freddy went incredibly well, with everyone working towards our goal at almost all times, yet it was awful for all involved because the first player got tunneled out immediately, and me as the last kill had to play the part of Freddy's little xxx toy for his twisted kinks.

Also, as I said, I started to actively try to get killed and the killers wouldn't have it. They'd either slug me to go kill the unhooked player, or straight up gave up on me immediately the moment they saw me run away and went back straight to kill the unhooked player.

I'm starting to think we need mini-Babysitter and once-per-hook disabled-on-heal self-care basekit because this is ridiculous.

• doobiedo

I mean Rainbow Six is actually balanced at least somewhat like that game is an actual e-sports game. People always use games like that as an example. A better example to compare Dbd to would be a game like Hunt Showdown which while not an asymmetrical game is also completely unbalanced because of all the rng. If you complained in the Hunt Showdown forums about players killing themselves so your lobbies don't have enough players you would be laughed at.

• doobiedo
    edited August 26

This is a great idea. I even think Windows of Opportunity should be basekit. If it makes kill rates go down way too much then buff killers again after that. I'm not sure if that's true about the gen "bug' but I don't think that's a good solution it just makes the game even less balanced and more luck based.

• Burniebotss
    Burniebotss Member Posts: 92

then they put the game down, simple. If they’re burnt out stop playing

• doobiedo

Do you really want Survivors to just stop playing? You want que times as long or longer then they were during 2 v.8? Or maybe you just want to play against bots? Just trying to understand the though process here. I will say it is very noble of you to prioritize other players mental health at the expense of your own ability to play the game.

• ReverseVelocity
    edited August 26

Ouch.

If you had so many borderline unbearable matches in a row, honestly I'd have called it quits for the night. I really don't know why you'd go in for number 6.

As for R6, spawnpeeking is a thing, yeah, and people who DC after dying early in the first round do look kind of silly. The maps are built in a way so you don't have immediate vision on spawns, though. You kind of have to rush to the objective without paying attention to get hit with a spawnpeek. Anyway, that's besides the point, as the comparison doesn't really work if you don't know about that specific game.

• ReverseVelocity

I mean I don't want queue times to go up. That just might be how it ends up going, though.

I'm mainly really tired of my matches turning into 3v1s instantly. As killer or survivor (especially survivor, I don't really play solo anymore due to the frequency of which this happens). It's no fun to play a 3v1 as Killer, and practically unwinnable on top of that as a Survivor. I'd rather have slightly longer queue times if it means I get a full team of Survivors for the entire game.

If the game is really that unbearable for that many people as Survivor to which queue times significantly change if they're forced to play out a match, then that'll get BHVR's attention. It'll fast track improvements to the core gameplay loop if there are major issues with it.

I can also really empathise with people being burnt out of the game as well. I was in that position once, and I took a 2-3 month break and it really improved my outlook on the game as a whole. Playing DBD during that time was constantly unpleasant for me and I want people to avoid that.

• LadyOwO
    LadyOwO Member Posts: 231

If a killer like leatherface is camping me I'm definitely gonna to kill myself on hook. Especially if I get hooked in the basement. Don't like it well to bad. Not gonna let myself be bait.

• baharuto48
    baharuto48 Member Posts: 110

There should not be a disconnect penalty for survivors. Bots take over. The game goes on. The bot might be more fun for the killer or more helpful to the survivors.

Also, serious question. Is it okay to let go on second hook? Usually I watch to see if someone is coming for the rescue. If not, I just let go. No one was coming.

Sometimes the killer player face/proxy camps and I get the unhook myself ability. I won't use it if the killer just stands in front of me and hits me on hook.

And if the killer player is afk or goofing around, I don't escape. I'm not raising my MMR for that. Usually, if the killer player is afk I just go stand next to the killer and wait.

Anybody ever been body blocked into a corner by a killer player?

Don't waste my time, please.

• LadyOwO
    LadyOwO Member Posts: 231

I've been blocked into a corner by the huntress before. She also happened to have an iridescent hatchet just for me cause I looped her for like 4 gens. She tunneled me out of the game and called me trash. Like tilted much?

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,580

It only happened once in my last few matches as survivor.

On another hand, I was in a 3 players pre-made (one beginner and one who had never played before): it means the fourth player was most likely a beginner too. (And they played like it.)

• NightWolfsFury
    NightWolfsFury Member Posts: 220
    edited August 26

if I’m going against a 4 gen slow, 3 gen patrolling Skull Merchant, NOTHING is keeping me in that match. I WILL just boot up another game and alternate between looking to see if I was hooked and killed and go back to my other game if I don’t.

The miserable matches aren’t worth playing, and I also refuse to give the killer player with that nasty build, awful to play against killer AND playstyle any form of fun for themselves either. I’m good.

Nothing about removing ways to get out of miserable matches faster will stop anybody from not participating. It just makes it worse for everybody involved, including the killer who will receive nonstop bird notifications until they hook me.

The actual fix is make matches not so miserable to play, especially for survivors, since there’s 4 people to consider over 1. “Greater good” quote and all that to support that comment. Do what helps the many, and if you can, THEN help the few. Killers control their play style and whether they want to be a tunnel sweat or try to play more fairly.

• Halloulle

Because Skullmerchant games are supposed to be the odd one out, I guess— I mean, what is the likelihood of that many Skullmerchants in a row? 😅

"The maps are built in a way so you don't have immediate vision on spawns, though" being the key-sentence there. I think what most games that frown upon "going next early" have in common is that there isn't really a way to just cheese your way through or engage in intrinsically obnoxious and unfun behaviour. Which, imo, really can't be said about dbd. Some people say "that's just part of the game" - which might be true but that doesn't make it any better.

In other words: Do I think it's bad that this many people go next that quickly? Yes. Absolutely. - But I think it's important to not get cause and effect mixed up. - And at the end of the day I find it a lot harder to believe that that many players suddenly feel entitled if they play survivor (since most players play both sides to some extent afaik and we don't see the same on killer side, plus it's not like it has always been this way; something has prompted that change) than that something about the current state of the game is extremely unhealthy/unfun/whatever if you are on the surv side of things.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,649

If BHVR removes the quick and easy way for survivors to bypass the DC penalties, it absolutely would cause a large decrease in ragequitting.

If killers got a quick and easy way to bypass the DC penalties, do you think there would be more killers ragequitting?

• ReverseVelocity

I don't know. I think a lot of PVP games as a whole suffer from having cheap/cheesy strategies pop up often. It's pretty unique that DBD apparently finds it acceptable to have a function where you can abandon the game early without penalty.

In competitive PVP games, people will always find a way to be obnoxious, and it's the developer's job to mitigate the potential for that to happen. We've had a lot of updates pretty recently that make the most hated strategies less effective. You can't instadown someone off of a hook anymore, you can't AFK in front of a hook with no penalty, and now it'll be harder to camp a Survivor to the next stage after the latest patch.

I get that there are things that some people find obnoxious, but that shouldn't mean that they get a free pass to abandon their fellow teammates to peril if they encounter (or in some cases, THINK they encounter) something like this.

The reason that this is a majority Survivor-exclusive problem for the most part is because Killers don't actually have an easy way to go next. It's not that Survivors are more entitled than Killers, it's just they can affect the match easily by quitting the game early.

I really think suiciding on hook has to go. It's making solo queue extremely frustrating, and there is (rightfully) no killer equivalent of it.

Again, this should not be done instead of addressing player frustrations. It should be done in tandem. However, sometimes you have to treat the symptoms before you can treat the underlying cause. Especially in cases where the underlying cause doesn't have an easy solution.

• doobiedo

Getting rid of suiciding on hook will just make things worse. Like if they actually changed the game to remove that what do you think the reaction would be? Also most of these "competitive" PVP games dbd is compared to in threads like this are at least somewhat balanced "e-sports" type games. It should be obvious why dbd is in a different category.

• ReverseVelocity

If they removed hook suicides, some people would probably be really upset that they can't go next whenever they want.

Then, the people who were that bothered by the removal of the feature would realise that they don't actually really want to play the game and quit, either forever or for a while.

Most people would probably not care enough about it, though, and keep playing with the benefit that their random teammates won't leave on a whim.

• devoutartist
    devoutartist Member Posts: 108

i'm gonna be honest survivor gameplay need a overhaul from scratch im getting games where im first chase and ppl are not even touching gens for a ridiculous amount of time while im looping like a madman it got so much worst after the 2v8 event it's so much more common that in those game im at the point that im about just gonna give up on hook not because of the killer but because there a huge amount of survs that don't even try to play the game/do some gens 1v4 in general need a huge gameplay overhaul just like 2v8 was a breath of fresh air for a lot of the casual peps

love the game can't stand the ppl that don't even try like it's to the point im like soloing 3 gens in some game when im not in chase some one goes down they go unhook the hook surv in front of the killer instead of waiting throwing the game not even getting a safe unhook getting themself down plus the unhook surv on top of not doing gens it's becoming infuriating now im not saying it's all my game but it getting verry close to halve of my game are like this and it ain't fun at all

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 418

I don't know, I think we should avoid giving survivors (and killers) any more basekit perks. Especially a basekit bond and kindred, all you'd be doing is just giving people free information at all times. There has to be SOME kind of cost associated with information because a large part of the game is built around it. If you're gonna give those two to survivors you might as well just give killers basekit BBQ and Lethal persuer. And absolutely no way to the implementation of the generator bug, all it did was punish killers who played fairly. We don't need to be giving anyone comeback mechanics just simply because they're doing badly.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,345

Having less gens to patrol is helpful, but if all 4 survivors are still alive at that point in the game, it's very difficult to turn that into anything more than a 1K unless survivors throw.

I've also experienced games where the killer gets an early kill, but struggles to turn that early 1K into anything more, because they threw taking bad chases due to the early kill.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 675

IDK I feel like the best thing we could do is just… remove self-unhooking? And maybe make throwing the game reportable as a warning? Doesn't this community always say that "carrots don't work you need sticks"? They do on reddit…

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 418

Most of those perks you described either have VERY specific conditions for it to work or need work on the killers end to get use outta it. Like No way out, to get it's maximum use you need to hook everyone at least once requiring the killer to spread out hooks and work for it otherwise they get bugger all. Blood Warden just simply doesn't work 99% of the time because everybody and their grandma 99's gates anyway. NOED, yeah I can get still but is a lot easier to deal with nowdays since all you need to do is just take time and to find and cleanse it with it's real issue being rng and having it spawn next to the camped survivor. Remember Me is a bad perk in general and almost never gets ran.

If using end-game builds somehow counts of comeback mechanics then they're the worst in the game. They're the easiest things to counter.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,280

That would make sense if a game has progressed somewhat, but ppl are doing this basically as soon as they load in too.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,280

OP is talking about ppl killing themselves as soon as the game starts and you are talking about the very end of the match after your team finished all the gens...