The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Hot Take: Pentimento deserves to be changed

Chocolate_Cosmos
Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,736
edited August 27 in Feedback and Suggestions

Pentimento rewards you for one cleansed totem with huge -30% gen repair for everyone.

For side objective or for totem they need to get removed otherwise Survivor team is in big trouble.

I think for just 1 totem of any kind instatly getting the best bonus from this perk alone is busted.

I suggest following:

• Keep the -30% penalty but put it at least to 2nd stack, switch it with healing on 1st stack so it does provide some value still.
  • Keep it first stack but reduce it in half (-15%).

Comments

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,345

I don't think a perk that can't work by itself really needs a nerf.

Plus frankly the kind of build that Pentimento is on is one where the killer the killers needs to be playing well for Pentimento to give value.

• OnryosTapeRentals
    OnryosTapeRentals Member Posts: 958

Pentimento is what I call a “nuisance perk”, along with others like Knock Out, Weave Attunement, Rancor etc.

These perks barely have an effect in a SWF but become a considerable nuisance to deal with in solo queue due to not being able to coordinate counterplay.

On paper, the effects aren’t that strong, but my solo queue matches just seem fall apart when these perks come into play.

• OnryosTapeRentals

the killers needs to be playing well for Pentimento to give value.

Ehh I don’t agree. Every time I encounter Pentimento my teammates just hand the stacks to the killer as opposed to the killer earning them.

Like someone will cleanse a dull and the debuff will pop up and then one of my teammates who clearly doesn’t understand how the perk works will just run around and cleanse every totem they see and inadvertently let the killer rekindle more totems.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,263

Hot take… If you see plaything expect pentimento to be there too. I recommend not doing totems in this case. You can't control your teammates but most players with hours already know not to cleanse until end game if even then. We just play oblivious and pay little bit more attention.

New players will learn by playing and screwing up ( i hope ). Pentimento is the only "good" hex perk left and even then it needs to be partnered with plaything or other hexes to work.

• OnryosTapeRentals

If you believe these people should be taken into account in game balancing, then literally half of the game should be deleted as well.

Where on earth did I say that? Ah yeah, classic DbD forum members responding to imaginary comments.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,465

You didn't say that, I did. I just don't understand what's the point of arguing with "bad teammates", because they can even make match against perkless Trapper a nightmare. If player can't / don't know he needs to cleanse exact same totem that he already did, it's definately not the perk problem.
    But it was probably a comment more about "playing well", than about perk balance, so yeah, my bad, sorry.

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 450

Penti is fine. If your issue with anything is people being dumb, then you're targeting the wrong thing.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

Kind of agree. Currently, the only thing that makes it problematic is plaything, as that is 1 perk that generates 4 hexes. Simple change would be to just have the entity immediately consume all cleansed plaything totems. This means that both perks stay individually unchanged but can't be stacked anymore, meaning that if a killer wants to activate pentimento more than once, they'll have to bring more hex perks.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,697

Pentimento is not a problematic perk at all. It has very clear counterplay and you already know exactly where the totems are. The debuff needs to be big enough that it's worth the survivor's time to go get rid of it especially considering it often isn't active until later in the game.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259
    edited August 27

I think either change would kill the perk...

15% can be easily ignored

As 2nd token it's easily removed (definitely not worth running imo)

Hexes are in very week state right now.

I don't think there should be any changes for pentimento, unless there are some major changes to hex perks in general (specific buffs, spawns, protection etc.)

Unlike other hexes, pentimento is not simple high risk/high reward. It's simply slowdown that gets you go out of your way to use it.

Survivors cleansed the totem and are told it's active. They know the location...

Plaything is something you can definitely ignore on most maps.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 608

In my opinion, Pentimento is a rather unhealthy Perk not because it is strong or powerful but because it has a bad effect on other Perks and sidequests: Plaything is a good Hex Perk because either survivors go on a sidequest to cleanse it or they don't hear the terrorradius. However, due to pentimento, survivors stay oblivious because Pentimento is worst than beeing oblivious. As a result, Plaything becomes weaker due to this Perk because survivors ignore the sidequest and still sit on generators. Survivors also get punished for having rather unique perks like Inner Healing, Hardended, or Overzealous - and of cause for doing archives (and yes I count this because everytime we have a "cleanse totem" archive, I see much more Hex/Pentimento killers than usual - myself included). The downside is that survivors don't use these Perks and will play the more metaperks. However, the good part about Pentimento is that it makes hex builds much better (I would say: viable) and gives them more value - so at the same time it is also healthy. If Pentimento would not exist, hex builds would be dead. The perk on it's own also is strong but has counterplay - just pay attention which totem you cleansed and check it when you know Pentimento is active. There is also the general issue with hexes that totem spawns are really bad and they miss something to prevent a start cleanse. This makes them much weaker. Of cause, we could also talk about how unfair this Perk is for SoloQ but okay for SWF (maybe also about how strong it is against new survivors), but this should not be count because then we would look at the weakest moment of a Perk and if we do this, every Perk would be too powerful.

Overall, it is a really difficult Perk to balance because on the one hand it has some unhealthy aspects but on the other hand, it is also healthy. But the moment, I would say that Pentimento can stay as it is because comparing to other stuff in dbd (map offering, syringes, Kock Out, Nurse, SWFs) it is not that problematic. In addition, before the developers either rework or nerf Pentimento, they should fix hex perks in general as well as totem spawns on every map. If they make them better (which is not so difficult and they are rather lazy tbh) then we can talk about it again.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,323

Clean a totem → Get Pentimento → Go back to that totem you cleaned to clean the Pentimento.

That's it. That's all you have to do to counter it. It doesn't need a nerf.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 675

Pentimento only really works in full hex builds and even then really only with Plaything though.