The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

players amount drop

Jimsalabim
Jimsalabim Member Posts: 641
edited March 2019 in General Discussions

Normally we see a (huge) increase of players when a chapter drops, but when i look at the steam charts we actually have a decline in players -15.59% or about 3000 players less (versus february). (average 16 000 versus 22 000 in january)

Should we be concerned?

Comments

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

@paint1210

Nah, I'll keep playing killer

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429
    edited March 2019

Lukewarm, killer, map and survivor. I was way more hyped for Legion, Ormand, and Jeff plus it feels like its taking forever to level up Jane, unsure if the new pip system or the amount of bloodpoints you gain per match was adjusted but the game feels different, maybe it boils down to faster matches because even if I wasn't running Decisive before other players certainly were prolonging the game so maybe that could be it. In any case, I'm just not feeling that spark or drive to play at-least until the Evil Dead DLC comes out.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    edited March 2019

What concerns me is peak players.

Even with all the controversy with the legion and their release, people at least started to play the game and we have seen a peak during that time. Did they not update the steam charts or is it because we actually couldn't surpass 30k?

Edit; I forgot to add a sentence lol

• Jimsalabim
    edited March 2019

yes peak is only 26,669 players. that's pretty low if you ask me for a freshly dropped chapter.

Like you said maybe the charts aren't updated yet.

• Jimsalabim

This could def. be a reason. I hear a lot of players are burnt out. The same formula being used is not always the best move. What do you feel ?

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

I have hope that with the arrival of dedicated servers we will see different game modes, that's why I'm still playing. Also I always have a blast playing in general, even if repetitive

• Jimsalabim

Maybe ppl are also fed up about all the dc's going on on purpose or because of the loading screen error

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

I was saying it really often, devs need to stop with the "look my children, new content. Come buy and play" mentality and start fixing core issue (infinite loading screen to name one). Let's see what's going to happen.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I was surprised to see there wasn't a big increase in players at release too, Honestly it could be for a bunch of different reasons.

Personally I was excited for the chapter but after the plague's nerf I'm waiting it out to see if she'll be worth it for me and I can't go back to spirit since she was broke with this update giving noise notifications when she uses her powers so I haven't really been playing at all.

I know for others there's been different reasons like getting bored of the same Games over and over, fed up with the DC's/Crashes or simply not having fun anymore. Ultimately there's no one reason why people aren't playing but yes the Devs should probably be concerned.

• Churchopher
    Churchopher Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

i know I haven’t been playing as much due to the grind. I get excited with the new content and perks, but it is getting harder and harder to keep up and get the new perks unlocked. The ever growing millions of BP needed is daunting when I want to test and play around with the perks on different killers.

Also with only being able to play an hour or two a night I need to maximize BP gain, so prove thyself and WGLF are my staple perks as earning 10-15k a match isn’t efficient and that limits build choices to two perks if not wanting to play just killer with BBQ. 4-5 matches as survivor to unlock one level of one perk for one character is a bit much I feel.

i guess my tldr is the grind keeps expanding and the fun part of playing different builds on different killers can be tiresome to acquire. Just my opinion though.

• scrubadub
    scrubadub Member Posts: 1

My Game personally will freeze during loading all the time. I have to go into task manager to see its not responding and end task. I have had that issue for a while. But, i still hate that for all the survivor mains, they are punished by having DS taken and replaced with a laughable version of itself. If you're not tunneled, you cant use it. And, 3seconds....Come on. I have been playing for years, and I don't survive all the time but DS helped me take the pressure off the weaker survivors by drawing the killer away from them. Now I am getting DC's everywhere i turn. There is no reward for playing survivor with the DC's and bloodpoints being terrible. Now survivors are punished for saving people from hooks and healing them. Top it off with the new matchmaking, I am getting turned off from this game quickly.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

Anecdotal evidence but I've seen almost non-stop Plagues recently. Far more than I saw Legion, Spirit, and especially Clown in their early days.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@The_Crusader first night i saw the Plague in about 3.5 hours of game play. Last night i did not play the Plague at all in about 2 hours of game play which i thought was weird.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

Whent eh dlc hit my games were hard camping and tunneling Doctor, same, Plague, Myers campers, Billy, Legion camper/tunnelers aka mr/s exploit, Plague, Pig, Trapper, Billy's, Nurse, a bunch of Legions and very few Plagues.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

@The_Crusader In roughly 6 hours of play as survivor over the past two nights (rank 10), I've seen 3 Plague. In 6 hours over the same period as killer, countless Jane.

• The_Crusader

Haha strange. I've seen almost nothing but Plague.

@powerbats All that camping/tunneling. I do think this is a reason surviviors get so pissed off and trigger happy with the disconnect button. When it happens time and time again they get fed up.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@The_Crusader Was a red rank 4 i'm at a purple 5 now. Still getting killers in both purple and red.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

In more than half of my games there is at least 1 DC.

I am honestly surprised how long it went well

• The_Crusader
    edited March 2019

Ah. I've heard higher ranks aren't seeing her too much.

I barely touched survivor after reset so I'm in the pleb ranks. Likely to stick here too with the new rank system :D

Guess more killer variety is good but I miss the killers who knew how to apply pressure and didn't just tunnel all game.

• cetruzzo
    cetruzzo Member Posts: 323

dcs have increased since they announced they will ban for it

• Marvett
    Marvett Member Posts: 159

@Master It's the same for me. I'm seriously thinking of taking a break, at least until they solve the problem.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Marvett There have been some nice sim games released, I play those now =)

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

I’ve been playing Apex. Quick matches, bang bang kill bang bang die. Start over.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

Yeah i hate starting with 1 underpowered perk, and having to grind a bunch of others before even getting a second perk to use in game.

Add into it it takes a month or so to perk out a new killer/survivor witht he perks you want them to use, unless you are lucky.

You should start with all 4 slots open, and all perks you have "unlocked" through grinding other killers should be available at rank 1, at level 1. So you can at least not get bullied because you don't have perks.

• Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649

Took a break for a week or so before Demise's release after getting frustrated with the overall game. Figured I was just burnt out a bit. Came back, and even more DC's than usual; more games starting with 3 survivors, and/or both sides' folks rage-quitting the moment they get shouldered or the gates get powered. Getting slugged, camped, tunneled, and funneled into oblivion right off the bat as solo survivor, getting much stronger and plentiful SWF than before on killer. Screwy match-making getting lobbies with 300+ ping for double-digit games in a row or either getting paired up via the SWF workaround with folks way out of rank.

It's as if all the bad things just intensified. Less than a week back and already wanting another break, and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. That's not a good sign for sustainability.

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810

January had a free weekend, so that makes the drop seem more drastic. The devs shouldn't be concerned right now, but if the pattern continues, then yes.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

Even I will admit, the game is in rough shape. When I play killer the gens get done very quickly no matter how good I play and when I play survivor I get infinite loading screens, dcing teammates, and tunneling/camping killers. Something is definently up

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

The “gens get done very quickly no matter how good you play”? Since the update I have had 2 games where all the gens get done, at Rank 1. Everyone else has died or DC’d. It’s been easier then EVER to be a killer, especially with this broken MM system.

• MhhBurgers
    MhhBurgers Member Posts: 1,758

I'd prefer the game die over them reinstating DS like many survivor mains on facebook and steam want to now. The game has become soothing for killers now, don't get me wrong it's still hard as a killer but it's much more fun if it weren't for the windowbug

• MhhBurgers

Because you're not facing the legion, it's fun getting stabbed

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

@MhhBurgers My 4th game was a R1 Franks Mix Tape Legion on Pale Rose.

Thats when I logged off for the evening.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

there's been free weekends scattered all over the chart's my friend. even if you take out a chunk for that, we are still talking 20% drop in player numbers.

• Maximus7
    Maximus7 Member Posts: 441

The peak has steadily decreased since August 31, 2018. During patch 2.1.2. Which was the best and the most balanced patch.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Devs should absolutely be concerned, but not surprised.

• MhhBurgers

remove frank's give legion 115% ms, problem solved.

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 53

Nothing suprising imo. New dlc is not interesting at all, i have only seen 3 plagues since dlc dropped. Mixtape legion is still a thing and making more survivors quit but devs keep ignoring it, solo survivor experience has neven been so terrible, they didnt add a single exciting survivor perk for years. Playing killer is not fun anymore because its a DC fiesta

• MhhBurgers

You literally almost never face a legion. Out of 3 hours today I faced 1 legion and he didn't even use mixtape.