Everytime is the same story...

Tostapane
Tostapane Member Posts: 1,612
edited September 3 in General Discussions

i wonder how people can still play this game… it becomes boring af… allow me to explain better why:

• as survivor (solo) the game is almost unplayable due to randoms being EXTREMELY bad (or they are just trolling most of the times, especially when they are aganist a killer that they dislike)
  • as survivor (premade) the game is extremely easy, without a real challenge to face
  • survivor gameplay is boring (except being chased by the killer… pressing m1 on a gen for 90 seconds can't be defined funny in my book, not to mention that over time the devs completely erased the stealth aspect of the game… between aura reading perks, brighter maps, etc etc )
  • as killer it's a mix between the previous points: solo survivors are relatively easy to beat most of the times (when you are aganist good solo survivors matches become a good challenge, but those matches are extremely rare), premades will screw you up badly, no matter what killer you take, you can't win aganist a 4 stack of people that are actually play for winning (too many 2nd chances perks paired with broken addons for their items and map offerings make the situation even worse), there's no middle ground
  • they removed optimal gameplay (for the killers mostly due to anti camping stuff added, which mind you it could have been a good thing IF they also changed the survivor's objectives, but this wasn't the case…)
  • they removed perk variety, especially from killers… everytime that i try to use different perks it always ends in the same way: i try to use different and funny builds/gameplays<survivors start mocking and acting like toxic brats cause they will won without much troubles<i get tired of their behavior<return to my "meta" build and tactics
  • some nerfs/buffs were completely unnecessary/unwanted (from perks for killers/survivors to killer's powers)

overall this game isn't fun anymore for me… your thoughts?

Post edited by Tostapane on

Comments

• Tostapane
    edited September 3

Indeed it's already 2 weeks that i avoid to play dbd, but that's not the point of the post... The point is that right now the game is actually boring to play (at least for me)... It's not about winning or losing anymore at this point, simply put the game isn't enjoyable anymore for the reasons that i stated above... Trying to playing chill won't last longer for a reason: try to play chill aganist toxic people that are present 9/10 matches, i bet that you'll surely lose your will to play chill...

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,293
    edited September 3

I will spare you all the details, but I am in agreement. Simply put, not fun on either side for me either. Even the little things are starting to annoy me. Killers before like 2020 are left to rot in mediocrity while all the new killers are stacked to the brim with abilities and 3-pages of Yu-Gi-Oh card text effect for each ability. I was counting my blessings the other day that i'm not paid to play this game 24/7. I'd have unsubscribed from my lifetime subscription already.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,230
    edited September 3

I actually don't think 6.1 on its own was all that problematic. It's how they have kept piling on unnecessary killer buffs across the board afterwards. Just update after update of making killers stronger and stronger. Like why was Haddonfield turned into the monstrosity it currently is? Why did Huntress get buffed when she was already strong and also overplayed? I could go on and list dozens of silly changes they have made after the initial batch from 6.1. When put together it made the game very unpleasant for survivors. When does it all end? When are they going to be satisfied with how strong killers are? A lot of it to me feels like change for the sake of change. Not because it's logical or necessary. This is how I felt when I saw unknown on the list for "updates". Like why? What is wrong with him and why does he need changes? He's a killer that is almost universally considered to be well balanced and Behavior is changing him because reasons.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 421
    edited September 4

What are you considering toxic behaviour? Are you just overreacting to someone pressing control a couple of times? The vast majority of the community is just looking to have fun. I play a lot of DBD and encounter truly toxic gamers maybe once or twice a month. Of course, that number will increase if you're hard camping and tunnelling, but the majority of the time, if you're trying something fun with survivors, they'll join in.

Survivors who won't leave unless you're watching them is mildy annoying, but that's about as toxic as survivors get 99% of the time.

The only thing that is unfun 100% of the time in DBD these days are Chucky games.

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 225

Naah. I said it a few times already.

Fix the things that surviviors actually don't like to play against, and there will be no self-unhooking anymore, atleast not that much.

Yesterday I had a jane in my game who didnt want to go against franklin + weave for example. I was streaming, she came into my chat and said "that's boring perk combos, going next".

BHVR don't want to address that.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 610

Well my fokus lies on getting better with certain killers most of the time as well as winning. At the moment I play dracula wolf-only to get better with his jumps, funny enough I have a winrate of 80% for some reason, even tho I don't hugtech and it shouldn't be really hard to play against that. Every dracula I play against couldn't do anything with the wolf at all because it's just too easy to dodge xD

Also I stream my games to someone sometimes with challenges like getting 2 kills as scratchmirror-myers without play with your food and with rapid brutality on coldwin farm (I somehow actually won that challenge, whatever was wrong with the survs there xD).

My fokus as survivor is getting better in chase, so most of the time I just do gens until the killer comes to me and instead of hiding like some people I just let him chase me. It's quite fun to try to survive as long as possible for me, also I play without anti-tunnel because I just find it boring that way xD

• Tostapane

I'll make a couple of examples: the first sign are the offerings that survivors/killers will put (mostly as killer... you'll find people that will literally abuse map offerings by putting the most obnoxious and annoying maps in their favor). Usually i play with non meta builds and meme addons/items (i despise being addon dependant) and when people notice It instead of chilling became even more irritating (as killer being tbagged after a stun, abuse certain loops knowing well that i can't do nothing in that zone, bodyblock with basekit bt when they are unhooked, etc etc while as survivor being slugged without being hooked, being bodyblocked by your teammates on purpose, people self suiciding on hook and staying into the game just to insult in the end chat, etc etc)... All this will lead you to stop playing chill because it's never worth the efforts, especially when people will do anything in their power to make your matches as miserable as possible...

• Tostapane

Awful idea... If a survivor will quit/suicide on the hook without even trying aganist certain stuff that generally speaking dislike then it's merely entitlement and/or will issue (yes, i said will instead of skill on purpose)... For your logic then the killers should be entitled to DC everytime that they see something that they dislike...

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,026

You pretty much nailed it. That's what this game's all about. Ignoring the broken stuff at top level to help out the uncarryable bottom level. And then putting them in your matches.

• Tostapane

this is another reason that should be added into the equation too… but on that point i can't fully blame them… after all their goal is to earn money and they must incentive new players to play as survivor and give them a chance to succeed (not to mention that a new player in order to unlock stuff must play a lot of hours and must buy chapters compared to people that have already put hours into the game and already purchased the stuff that thay deemed worthy), otherwise they won't even bother to play this game. Not everyone is willingly to put thousand of hours into a game in order to learn each aspect of the gameplay. What bother me though is that the devs tried to make "competitive" a game that by his nature simply isn't (asymmetrical games cannot be balanced due to the huge number of factors that must be considered, from player's experience to perks, from killer's powers to maps, etc etc), making the whole situation even more dire…

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 348

• as survivor (solo) the game is almost unplayable due to randoms being EXTREMELY bad (or they are just trolling most of the times, especially when they are aganist a killer that they dislike)

Yup. As well as 0 tools to coordinate or people doing int archives or silly adepts.

• as survivor (premade) the game is extremely easy, without a real challenge to face

If you are all competitive sure. Bunch of friends though, usually no.

• survivor gameplay is boring (except being chased by the killer… pressing m1 on a gen for 90 seconds can't be defined funny in my book, not to mention that over time the devs completely erased the stealth aspect of the game… between aura reading perks, brighter maps, etc etc )

Eh, you can make it more fun but at the cost of not doing generators. And killers usually dont care about the speed of the generators, theyll just proceed as normal. And normal usually involves tunneling someone out ASAP.

• as killer it's a mix between the previous points: solo survivors are relatively easy to beat most of the times (when you are aganist good solo survivors matches become a good challenge, but those matches are extremely rare), premades will screw you up badly, no matter what killer you take, you can't win aganist a 4 stack of people that are actually play for winning (too many 2nd chances perks paired with broken addons for their items and map offerings make the situation even worse), there's no middle ground

Bout the only trouble I have with Legion and Plague are coordinated and competetive swfs. And those are like…. 1/17 games, as with everyone, even people that play this game as a career. Lets not over represent those matches….

Had plenty of 4-3 mans that just die the same, cause its a bunch of friends trying to have some fun together, and not necessarily go full send.

• they removed optimal gameplay (for the killers mostly due to anti camping stuff added, which mind you it could have been a good thing IF they also changed the survivor's objectives, but this wasn't the case…)

What?

• they removed perk variety, especially from killers… everytime that i try to use different perks it always ends in the same way: i try to use different and funny builds/gameplays<survivors start mocking and acting like toxic brats cause they will won without much troubles<i get tired of their behavior<return to my "meta" build and tactics

So because… you try perk setups… that you arent used to… versus perks you are very used to (meta)….

perk variety was removed?
    What perks are you referring to specifically in both cases?

• some nerfs/buffs were completely unnecessary/unwanted (from perks for killers/survivors to killer's powers)

Probably.

overall this game isn't fun anymore for me… your thoughts?

Take a break play something else. Reevaluate why you play(ed) the game in the first place or what your goals are in a match.

Seems like with your "perk variety is dead" opinion, you only had one goal/playstyle.

• SweetbutaPsycho
    SweetbutaPsycho Member Posts: 249

But that might honestly just be a SBMM thing. For me its not as bad as OP claims but 80% of my games are 3 or 4 man SWFS and at least 2 out of 10 games I play are good old bully squads (or survivors trying to be one). Talking 3 man Head On on Glenvale, with flashbangs and flashlights and 1 designated gen-pusher while 3 people try to keep u permastunned.

Also I get a lot of toxicity after the game. Not even about the playstyle necessarily but the killer choice, perk choice etc. In the first game people complain that you sweat by playing nurse and leave a comment about that on your profile, next game people complain about you playing Meme-build-Pig when they sent you to Springfield and you therefor not putting up a real challenge for them and the match being boring.

Glad that you apparently dont have these experiences for whatever reason but that doesnt mean that these things dont exist anymore. Maybe not as bad as OP claims them to be but it still happens.

• Tostapane

the problem isn't the perk setup par se, but the fact that in a single chase 3 gens will usually go, no matter what you will do (unless you are playing as nurse, but even in this case you can easily have bad times, especially with certain maps)… time to search another survivor, chase him/her and another gen will go and another one almost completed… the problem is that in optimal gameplay YOU CAN'T PLAY THE GAME FOR HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED (healing, doing totems, chases, chests, etc etc)… both as killer and survivor (even if you aren't actually doing gens, the time to farm points is piiful if your team push generators)

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 348

Idk… I think you are over representing something that may happen once or twice every 10 or so matches, or more, and focusing a but too much on it.

3 gens on a chase can happen, but… "no matter what you do unless nurse…" is just hyperbolic. If this is truly happening to you a majority of the time then you need to change up your play.

With all the aura read that is in this game you dont really have "time to search for another survivor…" either.

Again, re-evaluate somethings, take a break, and then come back.

• Tostapane

nah, it happens most of the times sadly (at least for me, i won't speak for the others)… but you know what usually work when those matches happen (only as killer tho, as survivor at least i can always risk and try to be chased in the endgame for more points)? proxycamping and tunneling… and this bring us to what i stated in this post… and again, it's already a miracle if i'll do a couple of matches in a week since i'm tired of this kind of gameplay… as i said it's not even a matter of winning or loosing at this point… as killer in the past i had matches where i didn't kill anyone but got enough times to do chases and points and matches where despite i killed all the survivors the time to do my job was so short that i could barely do 5 hooks… useless to say that i enjoy the 1st type of matches more than the 2nd one generally speaking…

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,862
    edited September 10

I find the secret to enjoying DBD for myself is to not focus on winning and losing, and instead just try to make a goofy build work and try and play for hooks/try to get other players out.

I don't find crushing my opponent(s) with meta perks fun... it's like, I'm running meta, of course I win in that scenario. I try instead to make a game of it, and use quirky little combos and just see how well I can do.

The thought processes that help me are: -

• MMR is a pointless thing to try and climb, you can't see it, and your reward for climbing it is it makes your games sweatier.
    • Playing suboptimal builds turns every game into a boot camp where you know you're limiting and improving yourself. If you lose, it doesn't matter, cause you're the one handicapping yourself.
    • On Killer: No more that 1 meta gen block/slowdown perk, and no more than 2 off meta gen slowdown perks. No sacrificing until hook 6, prefer no camping or excessive tunneling unless necessary. Always play the hatch gamble. If you lose the game/a 4k with this ruleset, it doesn't matter.
    • On Survivor: No meta exhaustion perks, no Commodius Toolboxes, and no iridescent add-ons. Preferably avoid off meta exhaustion perks and Off the Record. If you lose, it doesn't matter.
    • Change your objective based on how the game is going. 1 player tunneled, another SoH, no hope of escape at 4 gens? I give my teammate hatch... but I want 2 gens powered before I die... keep playing and crank a gen, or try to loop the killer for a different gen to be completed. A Duo uses dying under pallet and power struggle/flip flop with a buddy covering the pick up? Take on the challenge of getting these 2 players hooked. Screw the gens, engage with this new challenge. Or just "I got my perk combo to work once, the rest of the game doesn't matter". This means you always have something to play for.
    • If you're tilted, take a break, or at least play the other side. Tilt makes you play worse, no matter who you are.
    • Always follow the tenet: it isn't over till it's over.
    • Teabaggers/humpers are dorks. Literally just ignore them. They only have as much power over you as you give them.

The advantage of this mindset is if you do get hit with repeated bad games, you normally play without meta perks, so you have lots of room to turn it up several levels if you need to, and you have the MMR to match. You're not being placed in a higher MMR than your actual skill level because you're not running the strongest perks all the time...

I've had streaks where I've lost badly 10 games in a row, got annoyed, had a tea break then thrown on a meta build and suddenly I am causing other players way more problems. Just a couple of games of meta pulls me back to normality again and I can go back to my fun little builds.

I do feel like the community has kinda become obsessed with winning, and doesn't really try to make games fun, either for their opponents or themselves.

• Tostapane

you know, you can start with this mindset easily enough, but once you keep having people in your games that constantly play with meta stuff, being extremely toxic and exploiting all the advantages that they could muster well… at this point i'll go to play something else because those matches aren't fun at all and honestly i'm not interested to play with people that can't appreciate non meta matches… as for your points:

• mmr is literally useless (especially for killers) since it has been proved that there's a softcap that once you reach it, it will be take it into account even with the new released killers, not to mention that said softcap is ridicoulously easy to reach
    • already doing rn but you know, i would gladly have something to make the toxic people pay for their actions rather than giving them easy time
    • i don't use slowdown perks, mostly because they were nerfed into oblivion, so they are worthless
    • i play without items and without meta perks (my build is we'll make it, second wind, kindred and the last one a random perk)
    • as killer i play for chases mostly, but when i see that's not even remotely possible to catch someone in short times due to killer's powers being not strong enough, map, 2nd chances perks and other reasons, it's pointless to play "normal" with those kind of people and you NEED to play around their altruism to get something done. As survivor i don't have any kind of problem except for the survivors that keep trolling (sandbagging, bodyblocking, spamming noise notifications to the killer just because you clease a totem that they wanted to cleanse too, etc etc)
    • that phase doesn't even exist anymore for me rn… it all came at the point of being just ripetitive and boring
    • this is 100% true, it's not over until it's over
    • those are my favourite players to go aganist because they keep wasting their time instead of doing something useful

as i said, for me the point isn't winning, but having a good match, which is translated into good amount of hooks and funny chases, everything else is secondary

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 495

I feel like this is deadass just how the devs intend people to play the game?

• Tostapane

technically the devs also balance the game around 2k 2e… Problem is that they don't take into account the whole match itself, but only the results in the end, which is wrong (example: i can do a 4/4 because i slug everyone in the end with noed and BARELY do a couple of hooks in the whole match… Was the match balanced? Decisely no, but for the devs i've overperformed because muh stats…)

• abyssplayz
    abyssplayz Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 30

they rely solely on non gamers. the second someone is good at something there's a huge problem. 90% of the time i used dh prenurf it was based solely on chance. i was always out in the open nd it was common perk to expect waiting it out took patience and knowledge of ur opponents playstyle and people lacked it. imagine if the og faze clan hopped on huntress they'd have her nerfed worse than pig

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 495

References or I 100% don't believe you, dawg.

Who even is faze clan? Some comp esports team? Nobody was talking about that. Who actually cares about comp rulesets in DBD anymore? Comp DBD died just this past summer.

DBD is a casual game for casual players wanting a horror versus experience. It should 100% think of casuals and people who don't play competitively. Why do you want this game to be comp? It's not balanced enough to ever be comp.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,232

The game is fun in small doses for me. There’s only so much enjoyment you can get from running around a pallet or window (both roles) that it’s hard to not get tired of it quick. I was super addicted during the pandemic because, while yes there were sweats, players weren’t as sweaty as they are now.

I also think Survivors were more skilled back then. It’s probably why SoloQ is so ridden with bad teammates. All the good players had their fill of the game (or didn’t like the direction BhVR is going) and left.

I don’t even play much anymore. I’m on the forums more than I am in the game. If I do play it’s to play SM Myers with the goal of scaring, which is my favorite thing, but even that gets boring after a while.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,417

I love this game.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

if you don't find fun in pubs due to MMR not existing and skilled players on both sides being able to stomp opponents, scrims and DbDL are way to go

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,870

DBD is a casual game for casual players wanting a horror versus experience. It should 100% think of casuals and people who don't play competitively. Why do you want this game to be comp? It's not balanced enough to ever be comp.

100% this, but it's a reality many can't or won't accept. DbD is deeply unbalanced on a genetic level, and compared to actual comp games, the skill ceiling is really low, with very limited room for mechanical skill expression.

It's a casual game for casual players with no defined win/balancing criteria where the only real determinants of success are RNG, time in game, and how willing you are to lean on boring, sweaty tactics and builds (or to render the game boring by trying to make it competitive).

If people are looking for a game that allows them to pit their skills against others in any meaningful way, DbD isn't just in the wrong neighborhood, it's in the wrong state.

DbD's biggest player problem is that too many people take it seriously.