The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Remove penalty

U have no right to add a penalty if someone dc or quits this needs to be stop.people have a right to quit if they want no one should be pen to play a game.

Comments

• wesleyrobertsimpson
    wesleyrobertsimpson Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12

I agree that repeatedly leaving is a crap move, and does deserve the timer, but I play plugged into my router (ethernet) and I got booted from a game last week and had to wait ten minutes to get back in. I never dc or leave early either, so the punishment really didn't fit the crime there, especially since I didn't do anything.

I'm usually listening to something on youtube when I play, and my wifi never cut out, so I had to wait ten minutes for no reason at all.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

That’s strange I Dc’ed as a survivor 3 times before getting a penalty. I don’t remember how I left though. Maybe I used task manager.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2

Thats why I try to buy physical if possible.

Edit: and because it looks nice on the shelf.

• Senaxu
    Senaxu Member Posts: 200

Yes, I also think it would be better if there were no more DC penalties BUT then the system has to be adapted like in games like e.g. in League of Legends.

If you leave the game for whatever reason (connection lost, ragequit, etc.) you will be replaced by a bot. However, and now the change comes, you then have the option to rejoin the match and can no longer enter the queue until the match is completed.

When you join the still open match, you logically replace your own bot.

So even players who had a real disconnect due to internet problems (which is definitely the absolute minority of all discornnects in DBD) have the opportunity to rejoin.

For all those who think they have to intentionally ruin the gaming experience for the other 4 players on a regular basis, a permanent punishment should be given at some point.

If the game bothers them so much, they can switch to single-player games.

• Shinkiro
    Shinkiro Member Posts: 52

Hate to break it to you, but you don't own games on a physical medium either. You still bought a license, its just attached to a disk instead, you own the physical disk (aka the license), not what's on it. No one has ever actually owned any game ever, they have always been licenses to borrow and use other people's Intellectual Property.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,278

20 years ago had quiet afew games as a service too. All I have to do is point out any MMORPG like WoW or even Runescape. On the other end, there's plenty of games nowadays that you CAN play while disconnected from the internet. Not THAT much is different.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

That will still trigger a penalty.

The issue is probably that you stayed in the match/scoreboard. The penalty starts counting down the moment you leave the game, so if you're on the scoreboard and then loading for 60 seconds total, the penalty will have finished before you even get the chance to queue again.

2nd is 5 minutes, so again if you quit and then go out of the room for a bit you can cone back to a penalty free lobby again.

Particularly common if you're playing with SWF, and have to wait for others to leave first anyway.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

Those were a case of necessity though. An MMO requires server upkeep, it can't be played any way but as a service.

The problem is offline games being gated behind online functionality.

But it's a moot point here because DBD is an online game that relies on developer hosted servers. Private servers if possible, would basically only offer you custom games.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,150
    edited September 2

That may be the case but it isn't the central point of this thread so let's not derail much further.

I will only say that my first comment was aimed at OPs "U have no right to..." argument, me saying that they have much extremer rights than the mere DC penalty.

And the second was a clarification that there is a difference when owning a hardcopy of an offline game and most games nowadays that require online connection one way or another and the possible supervision by the publisher.

I never neither said games as a service didn't exist 20 years ago nor that those other don't exist nowadays anymore. Just that games today hardly ever get released in a final state but are/have to be patched multiple times.

If you want to discuss this further pm me as this isn't topic of this thread.

• Glaive
    Glaive Member Posts: 65

You get one free DC a day as the first penalty is only 60 seconds, which I personally save for skull merchant, but constantly leaving and ruining the game for other players is why the penalty exists.

• kingchris200
    kingchris200 Member Posts: 11
    edited September 4

Sorry but no one should be punished if they choose to quit for whatever reason. This needs to ne removed asap. I got a 10 mins penalty. It's crazy and annoying no place in games. If I have bad lobby not gona waste my time I will quit I have a right to.

• Senaxu
    Senaxu Member Posts: 200

i hope they will increase it one day so that people that ruin games for other will be quit for good.

• ZombieHChrist
    ZombieHChrist Member Posts: 23

if penalties occurred from those dedicated servers issues… it'd be different. if you gonna quit and make it easier for me to dominate survivors and them to lose, take that timeout. wish there was a way to punish hook giver upers, all i can do is smack them on hook and stand at hook with survivor after the entity claims them. quit all you want, right is yours.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 235

Why shouldn't they be? They're not the only part of the experience—quitting deprives other survivors of a capable teammate, and deprives the killer of an enjoyable, fair challenge.

• smokinggosling
    smokinggosling Member Posts: 54

king chris back at it again ⁉️ so very sorry to tell you this, but they're not gonna remove the penalty, people would be dcing at every slight inconvenience…well, even more than they do now.

unfortunately, it seems you'll either have to actually play through the games you choose to load into, with the 4 other people who want to play as well, without having their match ruined by a quitter...or you can just eat the penalty and accept the consequences of your actions. a true shame...so unfair...sigh......

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 478

For everyone saying that the DC penalty is consistent on how long the punishments are, they really aren't. I got bored of DBD for a bit and took almost an entire month off the game, played for 3 days straight after coming back, then got slapped in the face with a 5 minute penalty for my first DC in at least 2 months. That doesn't look very "consistent" like people try saying.

I do want to mention that keeping it in does actually result in a worse experience for teammates. If somebody wants out of the match and don't want a penalty then they'll just let themselves die on the hook which then disrupts what the team is doing because they're forced to rush to the hook to stop them from doing that and even if you do manage to keep them from doing that there's a good chance that they'll just refuse to play by just running to the killer, waiting under the hook to die, or, even worse, start throwing a tantrum when the killer refuses to kill them by throwing down every pallet in the map. On top of that if you don't let them disconnect in peace and decide to let themselves die on hook you'll get no compensation bot to replace them and I don't know about you, but I'd MUCH rather have a bot on my team than a missing teammate entirely early on in the game. All this kind of system does is encourage more disruptive behavior which is why a lot of game devs are resorting to making it to where you can't earn rewards from future matches after a disconnect rather than a full-on matchmaking ban. That way they can still disconnect and play, but they just can't earn any rewards even if they stay in the future matches. I, honestly, think that the game would benefit from that system more than the current system.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 934

This is one reason I feel BHVR needs to rework the penalty, other games understand what a disconnection from the internet is, while a predisposition to willingly click a button shows a willingness to quiting a game. Those are the ones that should be punished. Clicking on a I Quit button, recieves the penalty.

That said, physically unplugging a console, or PC to bypass an acknowledgement of quiting. Faking a disconnection. Is what needs to be determined and that's the hard to do. Sadly.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Why does it ruin the match? Survivors still get their rewards for the time invested. If they really want out of a match, they give up on first hook. Killers cannot do that.

Personally, seeing as survivors can just exit on hook, killers should be able to open the gates when they want and force EGC if they aren't feeling the match.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,366

Yea, but even making it so you can't get rewards people would still see that as a punishment and unalive themselves on hook.

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 661

wanted to bring this up to further your last point.

The last of us has a multiplayer mode, with a large penalty for disconnecting, however it’s been a known exploit for years that if you just quit the game entirely (literally just close the game from the PlayStation menu) you get no penalty and it’s like the match never happened.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 562

Actually they have the right to do whatever they want. By playing their game you agree to the TOS, by which they can permaban you for all they care. Just stop disconnecting.

• PuddleOfBludd
    PuddleOfBludd Member Posts: 87

The DC penalty doesn’t affect me… usually. I’m on call most of the time and if I do need to disconnect from a match by the time I’m finished completing the task that I had to disconnect for I can play when I come back.

The only time that I have issue with it is when it happens not from something that I’ve done. I’ve had the game itself, not my Internet disconnect me and still impose the penalty. Like I’m actively trying to play the game and something happens that disconnects me and I get penalized for it. Happens with my friends as well. Sometimes we all get the disconnect from host message and there is no penalty but sometimes it only affects one or two of us and then we do get the penalty even though it’s not our fault that we were disconnected. That is where I have a problem with it. Otherwise it’s not a problem.

• PuddleOfBludd
    PuddleOfBludd Member Posts: 87

Oh not to mention getting the penalty when other players DC you. And yes that’s a thing. I’ve had it done to me before. Though that is more of a hacker problem, and I haven’t run into it often.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,750

If you walk out in the middle of a sports game, do you expect to be able to join the next one with no penalty or reaction from the other players/coordinators?

• Burniebotss
    Burniebotss Member Posts: 92

can’t wait for every game to be bots when I don’t play bubba :3

• kingchris200

I have no problem playing bots less sweaty. It's just a game. On killer or survivor bots

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 868

Au contraire. I've died several times whilst playing this game recently. Now I have a DC penalty. Haven't I suffered enough already?

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 608

This is the reason why the DC penalty needs a cap. Maybe 60 minutes max. If they DC again, get locked for another hour (until they can refrain from DC'ing long enough for the penalty to reset). That's quite a long time for a single penalty, considering there are only 24 hours in a day, and ideally 16 of them are spent either working or sleeping.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 934

What is this wonderous and strange word you speak off called Sleep?? I keep reading about this odd concept but verily unfamiliar of such a thing 🥴

• kingchris200
    edited September 7

It's ok the penalty won't go away the devs do what they want make bad decisions u devs are wrong for it's bad move. They just trying to be a big shot that's all it's a game nothing more it's not real life.