Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Survivors give up so often

It's so annoying, Survivors just give up so often. And in these situations it wasn't Tunneling Nurse or something. They just go down fast, because of their mistakes and they just DC and make game experience horrible for Survivors and Killer. Since a few months it happends so often - very noticable in my games and on Twitch Streamers games.

I think BHVR should tremendously increase DC penalty. Only for DC. Why do you play DbD if you DC during the game?

Comments

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735
    edited September 11

Yes, I noticed even people on social media starting to talk about this more and more.

The only way they can somewhat stop it is to remove self unhooking (without a perks that allow it ofc). I know this is technicaly a small nerf for Survivors but it would be for greater good and it way less matches would ended up ruined. Also skillchecks should only lose progress not insta kill you if you miss twice in row.

Also the DC penalty should go up as well. Lets say it should start at 10 min then jump to 30 min if you do it second time. Punish people who leave easily unless it's like life emergency or something than you can easily wait 10 min.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,010

i don't know what change. Survivors use to fight through hour long 3 genning knight matches but now they just kill themselves over anything.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

Solo hasn't gone in any direction. It's suffering from bad MMR. It's not the killer being too strong; it's your team not being good enough. Try as you might to escape no matter what, to up your MMR, it keeps putting potatoes in your matches. And at the same time, the killer usually isn't a potato, so the results of that are obvious. You can't get any good data on game balance from these matches, because it's all skewed, exactly the way it was with rank-based, random matchmaking.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

Not necessarily. What more nerfs could you even give killer?

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 354

yeah exactly but people don't read the room and see someone give up and instantly go 'bad'

giving up at the start after a bad chase and giving up at 5 gens after realizing your team isn't progressing the match, comparable to how much the killer is, are 2 different things

• LadyOwO
    LadyOwO Member Posts: 304

More often than not SWF teams will just farm you or leave you to die

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 240

Another thing that only affects solo queue

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 422

Honestly I'd love if they implemented a low-priority queue system like what Dota 2 has. I guarantee EVERYONE here that such a system will make soloqueue 50% more tolerable.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 195

You guys are so delusional. If Bhvr started trying to police this game to make sure people are trying hard enough to win it would literally kill the game lol.

• Massquwatt

Half the issue is just basically an attitude problem. It isn't policing how people play, if they want to give up on the first chase and sacrifice themselves then they should go play with others that have the exact same attitude. Just hold a mirror to their face and they'll quickly course correct.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 195
    edited September 12

No they won't. Besides the point is moot because there is no way you can prove they weren't actually trying to Kobe.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

they should go play with others that have the exact same attitude

I would love if the queue worked like this. There are certain playstyles that make for miserable teammates. The people who "next" immediately? Put them together. The survivors who do nothing but crouch around and hide and never help the team? Put them together. Whether the players course correct or not, at least they won't be trashing solo queue with their behavior.

• Massquwatt

If Valve can work out a system to determine who goes into low priority queue then the same can be done here. If people can find the time for a 40 minute Dota 2 match then people can find 15 minutes for a match of dbd. We'd all be way better off if serial dc's and people who give up far too easily had their own matchmaking pool to play with.

• TragicSolitude

Interesting fantasy.

I wouldn't call it interesting. I'm just venting because solo queue sucks due to teammates who turn 4v1 into 3v1 first thing by either going "next" or simply not participating. That and console performance are the two things I complain about most on these forums: I don't expect to see improvement in either.

• TragicSolitude

In most cases I don't think punishing is a good thing to do in a game. It's a very common suggestion in the DbD community for everything people don't like: "Punish it." I often see people say positive reinforcement doesn't work, rewards don't work. Can't even get reward for desired behavior plus punishment for undesired behavior, because people who do the undesirable thing might find a way to get a bite of that reward and that would be world-ending, apparently. The "punish" mentality is terrible for a video game, video games are supposed to be fun.

However, as it relates specifically to what I said, putting people who play a certain way together shouldn't be a punishment, and if it is a punishment then that's on the players for creating the environment they now find themselves in. However, my wish for a smarter queue system goes beyond that. I've said before that I think the game would benefit if it could identify casual vs competitive players. If the queue could put casual survivors who meme with casual killers who meme, and put the super competitive 5-gens-done-in-60-seconds survivors against the 4k-at-all-costs killers, then both sides would be happier. Do I expect that to happen? Of course not. But it would be a better experience for players if the game could identify certain behaviors and playstyles and adjust accordingly.

• Massquwatt

Where's the issue? Half the problem with soloqueue is that it's an attitude problem while the other half is a balance issue. If you put all the quitters and griefers together in their own queue then that's half the problem solved. They can keep quittin', dying and giving up as much as they like, they'll just be in good company.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,282

The thing with that is: seeing what some people write in egc, what other survs get is a massively distorted image. Just recently I had a player accuse me of not knowing how to play, hiding all game and being too scared to do anything and just all around useless. Idk why they got that idea. I did 2.5 gens - one of which while the chase was right next to me but the killer too focused on trying to outplay a tile to notice or bother, unhooked several people, chased for a good while (and tbh have no idea how/why the killer didn't down me; honestly had a "can have down in five seconds but must.kick.gen." vibe). Somehow I did end up with 0 hookstages - but not for lack of trying to get the killer's attention. The only thing I didn't do was run into an ongoing chase (where the surv was safe and knew what they were doing). - It's anecdotal and I too have my fair share of moments where I could grab and shake survs that (seemingly) do nothing but I think the share of people who would end up in that Q is actually very small.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

I never played that game but if it’ll make the entitled babies miserable, I’m all for it.

• TragicSolitude
    edited September 12

the share of people who would end up in that Q is actually very small.

The type of players you get changes depending on region and MMR, so the types of players I get may be very different from the types you get in your lobbies. I get curious and find those survivors who've never had an icon next to their name on the HUD…. I've done a lot of following a survivor back and forth between one rock and a different rock, or walking in circles in the basement. Or the multiple times I've been able to see survivors who never left the balcony on Garden of Joy. I've had a lot of matches with friendly or simply very inexperienced killers where someone would escape with fewer than 8k BP. On one really bad day there were multiple matches where I'd die or escape and see someone else still in the match had less than half the BP of what the next lowest person had (I'd check and spectate and no, they were not AFK).

I'm sorry people misjudged your contributions to the team. Personally, though, my matches would see a hell of a big improvement if the queue could separate certain playstyles.

• TragicSolitude

Yes, it's normal. When you're a new survivor, killers stomp. It takes about 1000 hours of gameplay before players consider you not a newbie. No, I didn't accidentally add an extra zero: one thousand hours. And that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at the game. You can find people talking about having 3k hours and still being "hot garbage" (their words). Playing survivor takes game knowledge, and it can take hundreds of hours to learn the maps, learn the map variations, get an idea of how looping works, learn the survivor perks, learn killers' powers and perks and add-ons…

Whether you want to dedicate that kind of time to this game is up to you.

• noobsurvivor
    noobsurvivor Member Posts: 4

that’s actually crazy dude…. Thank you

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 643
    edited September 12

It's normal now. But it wasn't not long ago. I could have my friends join and they have a good time. Killers would give them hatch knowing they are beginners. That never happens anymore.

Unfortunately mmr has made this game far sweatier than it used to be and so best is to watch survivor main content creators and learn how to run tiles. Also you would have much more fun finding friends on dbd discord but just know the community is pretty fickle and gives a glimpse into what dbd would be like with voice chat.

Playing custom games with friends will help also.

Also try playing killer to see how other surivors play and you will learn fast if your using an m1 killer.

I've seen survivors with 300 hrs cook.

Post edited by Paternalpark on
  • Halloulle

nah, it's alright; it was just a way to illustrate what I meant when I said players have a distorted image. - Like I said I have my fair share of "omg what are these people doing" — or, well, not doing for that matter — moments. But I think it's important to be aware that even if these things do happen it's still more likely that you assume they happen way more often than they actually do, simply because you (or I or anyone) can't see the full picture.

That matchmaking is absolutely whack sometimes also plays a role - that's very true and I wish it could separate the newbs and give them their own pool (technically it's supposed to do that but in effect it kinda clearly doesn't). Cause I wouldn't fault a new player for what would usually be considered excessive hiding. They're still in the horror-game-phase - and even if they're out of it they most definitely don't know where anything is on a map or where to go. Them running around the map like a lost puppy for the majority of the match is to be expected.

• Halloulle

as others have said: it's normal at this point.

People usually consider players with sub 1k hours babies who haven't even begun to really figure anything out. Which is also true. I did some very rough math somwhere and if, as surv, you want to learn how to counter each killer in regular matches it'd take you at least 2k hours; and that's assuming you encounter all killers frequently enough, which you don't, so those 2k hours are in theory; in practice it's gonna take a lot longer. And that's you not having mastered a single killer by playing that killer. Assuming it takes as much time to master killers people need about 4k hours minimum to actually be able to say they know all parts of the game (meaning playing as and countering every killer on various maps with various builds). That's, quite frankly, an absurd amount of time.

And honestly: if you're not into "spread-sheeting" games (aka not play the game to learn the game but go to YT uni to watch hours of videos and guides on the mechanics, strategies, tactics and what not and then dedicate time to 1v1 (that's kill your friends mode with one surv and one killer where you just go to a map and do chase) to practise all that) before you actually start playing the game… just don't play. Especially not by yourself. If you have 3-5 friends; sure, make it something you can enjoy together either in public matches or in kill your friends. But if you don't have that group of people. Just don't.

• TragicSolitude

Yeah, it's not surprising when new players do it, it's practically expected, and that is almost half of them. It's really not fun that matchmaking so often puts me in those lobbies. However, it's very frustrating when it's experienced players running Distortion and/or Urban Evasion and/or Left Behind who do it. Or someone with a name like "3k at 5 gens" who's decided trolling three teammates is their idea of fun (Bond once let me watch one of those players, who had a prestige of over 50, while they went from the basement to a rock to the basement back to the rock… all four survivors were still alive, but after over 10 minutes of watching them do that I was ready for the sweet release of death). It's especially bad when there's more than one of those types of players in a single match.

I'm teamed with experienced players doing the waiting-for-the-hatch-from-the-moment-we-load-in thing at least as much as I'm teamed with newbies doing it. I'm not saying it's every match, but it's many. There are days when I turn the game off because it happens more than five times in a single evening. Players who refuse to participate ruin enough matches that that behavior and console performance are the two things I complain about most on the forums.

Before the HUD, I didn't ever know for sure what teammates were up to unless they had less than 1k BP at the end of a match. But now with the HUD, usually playing with a friend (two people to see auras when dying or hooked, plus someone to spectate the match after death), the aura perks we run (Empathy or Bond), and understanding the amount of BP players have earned, it's usually easy to see what teammates are doing. I'm on console, but even if I weren't I have no interest in berating players for how they play a video game. I will however complain on the forums that the devs need to do something on their end. Maybe the Distortion nerf will help, only time will tell.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 362

I think I have a little over 3k and I make so many mistakes and goofs lol. There's a difference in playing how I do though, taking long breaks, not playing to always win, etc... and someone who actively tries to practice at the game.

• TragicSolitude

taking long breaks, not playing to always win, etc

lol That's the same way I am! I don't know how many hours I have because I'm on PS4 and Switch, but it's a good amount. And I have never gotten good at looping, I'm bad at judging speed/distance and I get caught on every little thing in the environment. I take a lot of breaks from the game, these days I mostly play for Tomes and events/limited time modes. When I do play, it's often not super seriously, like I haven't taken off Bardic Inspiration since it released.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 683

That isn't a bug. That's a feature. The perks are supposed to work that way.

Whether that's good or bad is a different story, but it's 100% not a bug.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies

Well when I play Killer I still give hatch. And I do still see Killers give hatch. It's not as common but I do see it.

• Moonras2
    edited September 13

Ive never really been interested in the tomes for some reason. But some events are nice. I can't wait to try 2v8. I couldn't try it last time. I get mixed feelings on survivor lol. I don't care if I win but I try more for the sake of the other players. I think when I'm able to play again I'm just going to start playing for emblems like I use too. I always enjoyed it

• GonnaBlameTheMovies

I really mostly play events and modes these days, with occasional regular matches to keep myself sharp or mitigate MMR if it's too low or high for my liking. Too low? I just win more. Too high? I vibe and let myself lose more. EZ.

It really sucks I have to play this way, but the Devs decided that MMR is God and thus, you gotta game it to keep the game at a nice comfort zone.

• Moonras2

I understand this 100%. I enjoy playing killer, but hate actually killing lol. So I use to be able to play out a match for 2 hooks and then just goof off. It gave me a regular game mode to start but then just fun with the other side after. I could get to purplish ranks pretty often doing this so I never had to worry about feeling like I was just picking on new players. That isn't the case, at least for me, anymore. I either have to play to kill or demolish new players. Honestly, the only saving grace is the DC's and hook suicides. Those seem to keep me up a little bit. Not advocating for them by any means but...