The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Distortion nerf

RoastedGarlic
RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 592
edited September 14 in General Discussions

Thank you bhvr it will make soloq more enjoyable without Survivors hiding on the edges doing absolutely nothing.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• RoastedGarlic

right this playstyle should be hard nerfed into the ground. add crows to anyone who doesnt progress the game.

• RoastedGarlic

so everyone who doesn't run distortion should now take your share of the chases?

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,132

People do this at 4v1.

And I outright said the devs need to fix their game. They designed a team game that needs 4 survivors working decently well together for it to be a fun experience. One survivor choosing not to ruins it for the other three. That BHVR said "play as a lone wolf" in their game description doesn't mean it's healthy for the game, it means BHVR designed it wrong if they want lone wolfing to be an option that doesn't make the majority of solo queue miserable.

Your ire isn’t with the other consumers/survivors who don’t owe you a damn thing.

I never said they owned me anything. I said that someone throwing the match from the beginning ruins it for at least three other players. It's not healthy for the game. I've never played any other game where doing literally nothing was considered a fun or viable or even acceptable playstyle. BHVR needs to decide if they want a 4v1 game or a 1v1v1v1v1 game and design it accordingly, because the state it's in right now doesn't function.

I don't berate players for how they play. You're making it sound like I throw dishes at the players' heads and demand they play the way I want, but that's not the case. I come on the forums and say BHVR needs to fix this problem. BHVR has made a change to Distortion. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction and they take more steps in the future.

• TragicSolitude

I have not, as far as I remember, compared a playstyle to "rats." I use phrases like "unhealthy for gameplay" to avoid being insulting and to keep my criticism constructive. Sometimes I'm a bit heated on the forums despite trying not to be, but I try to stay mindful and course correct when that happens.

Make sure to double check the username when referring to a previous post that you don't directly quote. It's easy to get mixed up when multiple people have the same avatar.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 324
    edited September 13

You're 100% correct, sorry about that. I did see the Kate avatar and I thought it was the same person. My sincere apologies.

!!! IMPORTANT EDIT: I replied to this comment thinking TragicSolitude was the Original Poster, this reply was mistakenly directed at them. They do not endorse the behavior I wrongly accused them of. It was my mistake.

• hermitkermit

I've noticed this more often as well. People are quick to insult others, and if slurs weren't regulated, I'm sure they'd be thrown around too. I believe this stems from an issue with player mentality, specifically the mindset of, "It's not my responsibility to make sure you have fun." This attitude promotes a selfish and unempathetic perspective that makes people ignorant of others experiences. When someone is focused solely on their own way of playing, refusing to compromise or dismissing alternative viewpoints, it’s no surprise they don’t see the harm in insulting others. These same people often say things like, "You wouldn't survive in X lobby" or "It's just a video game/it's just words," which is just another way to be dismissive of the impact their actions have on others experiences. It's unfortunate but it's quite popular to be selfish these days.

• TragicSolitude

No problem, it was an honest mistake and an easy one to make when multiple people with the same avatar post in a thread. If it's not too much trouble, I would very much appreciate it if you edited the original post to clarify the mistake so as to avoid possible future misunderstandings. 😀

• hermitkermit

Absolutely. I just edited it, let me know if it's alright. Also, If it would be best I can delete my comment altogether, just let me know. Again, really sorry.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,719

at least they can be targeted by the killer now. them going down even in a singular second is still more beneficial to the team, killer now suffers hit cooldown, and has to spend time hooking them if they want to.

• NerfDHalready

lol try throwing the match in another game and see if players owe their teammates proper gameplay.

• NerfDHalready
    edited September 13

dbd's rules should be more lenient because its gameplay isn't as linear as other games sure, but regardless of intention not doing anything for tens of minutes is griefing in any game and also in dbd. the intention with it is also clear: player decided to not participate in normal gameplay any longer and will wait until their teammate(s) die or they want to take the killer hostage both of which are malicious.

2.) I can’t think up another PvP game that requires another player’s action to enable you to play the game. Like you get hooked, you no longer get to play unless another player decides that you do.

i couldn't really catch the correlation so idk what to reply this with. not unhooking someone on purpose? it can be in the grey area for sure, there can be legitimate reasons you can't or don't want to save a person from a hook unless you go at the hook and t bag the survivor.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,816
    edited September 13

Right, not unhooking. Whether it’s out of self preservation (a camping Bubba or Hillbilly or something similar) or just contempt (I dislike how that survivor on hook played so I won’t rescue them) is irrelevant. That person cannot play the game anymore. No other game has a mechanic like that; not even other assyms. Part of why I think BHVR allows survivors to expedite their own death is to avoid situations where they aren’t being saved, so they don’t have to wait in a game where they’re not able to play. Can you imagine trying to pitch that to customers? “The killer decides how much you get to play, and when they down and hook you, then it’s up to another survivor to decide if you get to continue. There’s a lot of downtime. You’re basically an NPC at the mercy of another player.” It wouldn’t be good.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

I mean, truth be told, yes. Survivors should not be able to infinitely hide in lockers to hold a game hostage for refusing to progress the game. It's no different than a killer body blocking someone in a corner. Survivors who don't do something to progress the game should get crows after some amount of time.

• RoastedGarlic
    edited September 13

you did not say anywhere in your post that you specifically do not use it, you said you understand why people do it. That does not mean you don't do it yourself at all. Go reread your own post before you come at me aggressively like that. Judging by the way your posting it is relatively safe to assume that you're lying and do use it.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777

Well learn to read! It‘s not even edited

All of that comes from someone who doesn‘t play distortion, because it’s a useless perk

• RoastedGarlic

if you think it is so useless than why do you care so much that it is being nerfed?

• NerfDHalready
    edited September 13

i don't necessarily think having your life or the quality of your match at the hands of other players is such a terrible game design, but they need to deal with situations where it's clear players do it just to grief; so for this distortion topic it would be adding extra measurements against prolonged hiding.

the intent of not unhooking on purpose can't be proven, yes.

i don't think any other sort of throwing can be proven to be done with actual bad intent especially without video proof except obvious examples like bodyblocking, showing the killer where their teammate is etc.

• TragicSolitude

Many of you claim survivors are giving up at 4v1 implying this is a common occurrence, but I only see it rarely in my games.

Everyone's experience is different. I talk about my own experiences and understand not everyone sees these things. There are some days where everyone plays as a team, and there are days where I have multiple matches with survivors who spend 15 minutes doing nothing so they can escape through the hatch for a total of about 8k BP.

it won’t bully or force those survivors to play for your survival either

I will continue to point out that I did not say anything like this. It's a team game that is balanced around 4v1. When one person does not participate at all, the game doesn't work. One person on gens, one person on hook, one person making the save, one person in chase. Four people. When one person doesn't do any of those things, the match falls apart. If BHVR wants DbD to be 1v1v1v1v1, they need to adjust their game appropriately, not simply leave solo queue to deal with the fallout of game design that didn't take into account just how "lone wolf" some players will be.

But based on your stance, you would call this player a ‘rat’ because she did not take aggro. This perspective I feel is warped. There will always be different ways of being strong.

Do not tell me what I would say. I have not called anyone a "rat" (I urge you to double check that, because it is true). I also do not criticize people based on their perks or what they bring. What I take issue with are certain playstyles that negatively impact the entire match. A stealthy team player is still a team player. It can absolutely be helpful if people take aggro, and there have been many instances where I wished a stealthy player would take aggro, but it is not required of them, nor would I say it is. It is appreciated when teammates take aggro and make risky plays that help others, and I have sacrificed myself to get those people through the exit gate because I know they didn't have to do it.

You have, multiple times, put words in my mouth and made claims about my perspective and beliefs which I did not state; I don't feel I implied those things, either.

• Langweilg
    edited September 13

Because my friends play it ALL THE TIME and they will probably stop playing because of the nerf. It‘s already hard to convince them. They need it because they are bad at chasing and they are not playing like „rats“ (no idea who said that but it’s fitting).

Another thing I mention in other posts is what distortion does to the pick rate of aura perks. It decreases it by a lot, at least it discourages me to use aura perks as killer. I hate not knowing when my auras is shown and getting hit or found because of that. My friends always tell me what aura perks the killer has which makes it okey.

Another thing is maps which is not what I want discus here, but I dislike the combination with this change. Maps are designed weaker and weaker with each update and now getting found more and more plays into this bad design.

Edit: It will probably make soloq a running simulator from unhook to unhook now. At least autodidact will be useful.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 800

What about me who takes chase perks like Scene Partner? It has the same effect as Distortion because killers refuse to chase me. Are chase perks next on the block because it's not fair to survivors who don't run chase perks?

• RoastedGarlic

they can still tell you because they perk will deactivate if they have them. Then all they need to do is get into a chase and it reactivates. This nerf only effects people who refuse to take chase at all. It doesn't effect people who take chases in the match. New distortion is a chase perk as it shuts down aura reading during the chase. Perks like I'm all ears for example will now be less effective, huntresses glow hatchets etc.

• Langweilg

We will see, but they shouldn‘t remove the tokens it had even tho I think there would have been better changes

• Langweilg

That‘s a funny comment and I‘m waiting for someone to respond to it.

• Ayodam
    edited September 14

I’m not going back and forth with you. What it comes down to is that the devs have both plainly stated and emphasized through core game mechanics that DBD is not a team game. It is a game that allows survivors to play as a team (insofar that it helps their own survival, like a medkit or a key or a specific perk. You know, a tool) or simply for themselves. And both playstyles are valid in this game whether you or any other player finds them agreeable or not.

Castigating people who don’t play the way you believe they should (and you did in fact do that. This isn’t me putting words in your mouth) is a bad approach. There is no ‘right way’ to play survivor in DBD beyond things expressly forbidden by rules. You can be altruistic or selfish. You can spend the entire match engaged with the killer or play immersed. You can make it as competitive or as lighthearted as you wish it to be, and it’s all ok. Policing how other people, especially survivors, choose to enjoy the game is beyond your scope.

Regardless of your opinion on how it is or should be balanced, survivors do not owe you a teamwork-based play style. If you would wish to have such cohesion in your matches, there is an option for it. That is BHVR allowing you to form the team you want. Attacking people who play solo queue in a manner you dislike—because it doesn’t demonstrate the ‘teamwork’ you personally believe this game demands—is not good. And that’s pretty much the end of our conversation for me.

• Ayodam
    edited September 14

BHVR had a precursor game to this one called Death Garden, and I think many people do not know this as it had a much smaller community. But I believe that it was a sandbox for what became DBD. In a way I feel the changes BHVR now makes are steering the game in a direction that for them is more equitable (not balanced or equal, but fair). I do not believe they wish to make game unfun for survivors or killers, but I think it is tough to create a great experience for both roles at all times. I believe they do talk about issues like tunneling and camping and survivor-killer engagement. They make changes and walk them back, then make new changes, all to find a comfortable position. They were much worse with Death Garden, and it killed their game. I am confident they are trying to avoid that with this game.

I personally have 4-man SWF, we are good together. But I do not play solo queue for a SWF experience. I play SWF for a SWF experience. And when I play killer sometimes I face good SWF, sometimes bad, sometimes solo queue who are uncoordinated, sometimes solo queue that comes together and defeats me. And it is all OK with me. It should be with others as well. I do not care what perks another uses and I do not advocate for a perk to be ruined to punish people who play in a manner I don’t.

I feel players must stop hunting for a SWF experience in solo queue. If a player wants SWF experience, play SWF. Do not further demoralize solo queue players because they do not play as a SWF. SWF does not need Distortion, but it was a helpful perk for solo queue survivors. Same with other perks.

This madness must end.

• Langweilg
    edited September 14
    • Make it’s duration 7s - This makes distortion consume 2 tokens when somebody brings perks that are longer than 7s or when lethal makes it longer
    • Recharge by doing gens - The point of the perk is to not get found, it recharging in chase makes therefore no sense. This would also discourage „rating“
    • Slower recharge by 5-10s
    • It no longer hides scratch marks - It is an aura hiding perk not a scratch mark hiding perk

I would do 1-2 of them and it would be fine

• TragicSolitude

I have said repeatedly BHVR needs to focus on a direction for their game. BHVR needs to fix things. Repeatedly.

And I have said the playstyle of hiding and doing nothing is not fun for the other people in the match. I have not insulted or bullied or scolded the players who do nothing but hide, I have mainly said it's not fun to be in the same match as them.

that’s pretty much the end of our conversation for me.

That's fine. What I have said and what you think I have said seem to have been two very different things, and this has been less of a conversation and more me trying to figure out why you keep going back to me "attacking players."

The version of me you've been talking at isn't real. I don't "attack" people, and you repeatedly insisting I do is both insulting and tiresome.

• RoastedGarlic

the whole reason it is being changed is to make people take chases and stop hiding so your missing the entire point of the nerf.

• RoastedGarlic

I opened by saying ending distortion rating will improve the soloq experience, I believe that because I only play soloq. I don't care about swf or the swf experience, but I'm tired of seeing people do absolutely nothing while I put in effort to get everyone out and then there is that bill in the corner with distortion, left behind, sole survivor, wake up with a key waiting for us all to die.

distortion is a terrible perk for everyone besides distortion rats in its current state. the future changes will make distortion rats EARN it back and not ruin every one elses experience for free.

• Langweilg

I‘m trying to make a fair perk change, that keeps it viable. The new change will delete it basically and there is a reason why people play it so I try to keep that in mind. The changes I suggested would do exactly that and make it a lot less efficient.

• RoastedGarlic

recharging by doing gens means they do not even need to be near the killer, which makes it even more of a potential rat perk.

• RoastedGarlic

it is obvious bhvr has been moving towards a more chase oriented gameplay. Hide and seek does not fit into that.

I do want them to do gens, I also want them to go for saves and take chases and do their part. Just because behaviour says you can play selfish doesn't mean you should I feel like that is lost on the majority of players. We all agree that playing survivor is a miserable experience, and those selfish players are at the forefront of why that is.